HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Yes, it is going to stand out, for it's quality. Jarta, you are annoying.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I count ~35 floors already, which means it still has quite a ways to go.

For a building of only 150 meters it's gonna stand out a lot.
Was just thinking the same thing yesterday, the impact is already incredible, with another 15 floors it will be striking. Pilton is right that the best is yet to come though! I don't think most people realize how much 150 and RP will stand out once they are complete. 150 N Riverside is nearly as tall as the beastly 300 N LaSalle, RP is not far behind. These two beasts are more in the size range of 300 N LaSalle than they are with the other recent towers on Wacker which are all about or just shy of 700' and they are much farther West which will give them an outsized perspective in most skyline views. This little cluster going up is going to add significantly to the skyline, almost as much as the Museum Park towers did. Especially in combination with the halsted towers, 108 N Jefferson, and that ABN Amro neighbor. The Kennedy is going to feel like it's going straight through the CBD in about 5 years.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 6:35 PM
you know where I'll be

^ If it is the case that 130 N Franklin will be adding 2-3 stories (not just a counting thing but a corresponding increase in actual height that is), that one could potentially have quite the skyline impact as well......

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 10:09 PM

The tower crane was jumped today.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
The tower crane was jumped today.
Indeed it was. Now where it will top out. Just above Nuveen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Yes, it is going to stand out, for it's quality. Jarta, you are annoying.
riverbend resident...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:45 AM

04/05/15
From Wabash

04/06/15

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
riverbend resident...
Not everyone who lives at RiverBend is/was of one mind about the WP West Tower. And, those few, rare individuals who still oppose it will laugh all the way to the bank. Prices are already surging. I like that! Surging prices must be what is most annoying to posters here. lol!

Where else can you get over 2,500 sq. ft. in most units, 10'+ floor to ceiling windows that look out over River North from below Water Tower up to the North Avenue Beach and the Loop from Wacker Drive down to Sears Tower and units which have large terraces - and walk to work! It's like putting a pencil in front of your nose while looking at the Grand Canyon. Some's gone; a lot more survives. I'll miss the MM and Marina City. But, I won't miss 300 LaSalle or the Wyndham hotel.

Many more RiverBend residents welcome the West Tower. I think it will be a very pretty building. But, I also think the West Tower doesn't have the height to stand out (and praise here for that supposed effect on the Chicago skyline is really a stretch).

And, the West Tower should have been sited away from the riverbank to permit sunlight to the riverwalk it already covers over. Perpetual shade, the riverwalk ends at the Sun-Times Building and very few pedestrians will wander back there. It could have been better. Probably would have been worse, too, if BKl wasn't involved. Maybe the City will mandate the extension of the riverwalk all the way to Kinzie when the other WP Towers receive approval. But, that damage is irreparable.

However, the entire neighborhood won't be a sleepy backwater any more. It will be very vibrant and alive all the way from River North to at least Washington and Green Sts. And, the WP West Tower (as well as River Point, 150 Riverside, the proposed Crown family building on Franklin and the build out of the riverwalk to the Lake St. bridge) will contribute to the massive change.

Now, if the WP development team could fire PCP and get a more innovative design for the rest of WP ...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 2:44 PM

^^^ There is no riverwalk on the North bank - none - zippo - not.
There was a walkway around a surface lot, and you could dodge trucks and such on the W side of the Mart to get to Kinzie, but I don't think the tract N of Kinzie on the E bank is open to the public.

I applaud River Bends attempts to make the river side accessible, but your neighbors to the north kill that idea.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
^^^ There is no riverwalk on the North bank - none - zippo - not.
There was a walkway around a surface lot, and you could dodge trucks and such on the W side of the Mart to get to Kinzie, but I don't think the tract N of Kinzie on the E bank is open to the public.

I applaud River Bends attempts to make the river side accessible, but your neighbors to the north kill that idea.
harry, ... First, the original zoning when PD 98 was created and the Apparel Center was built, set up a 15' setback for a riverwalk - all the way along the river from Orleans to Kinzie. The City just fails to enforce the building restriction it set up. Not the first time that has happened, is it?

The KP gate on the west bank north of Kinzie is locked. However, just ask at the KP gatehouse. The guards have been instructed to let everyone in to visit the riverwalk during CPD hours but to instruct them to stay on the riverwalk and not wander off of it. Reilly is OK with the lock, but makes KP open up for riverwalk visitors - if asked.

I think the block from Kinzie to Grand along the east bank is open - but maybe only to Habitat's renters living at the apartment building at Grand. Reilly could be convinced to open up that stretch - or are his ties to Habitat that financially beneficial? lol!

Fulton House has so many structural and facade problems and a crushing special assessment that it is probably best torn down. The problem is really the Weese cottages on the south side of Kinzie. Cantankerous people with riparian rights live there.

RiverBend and River Point will have a beautiful riverwalk. RiverBend has kept its section open to everyone - 24/7 - since RiverBend was built.

River Point? At this point nobody knows if access to the riverwalk at Lake Street will be open 24/7 or if the elevated park will be open after office hours to anyone but diners at the restaurant or if a gate will be constructed by River Point where the open riverwalk in front of RiverBend ends. Hines won't say much of anything about access to the riverwalk or the elevated park when River Point is complete. But, if Hines closes access to the riverwalk from Lake St., look for RiverBend to ask to close access from its turn-around. What's good for the goose ...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
harry, ... First, the original zoning when PD 98 was created and the Apparel Center was built, set up a 15' setback for a riverwalk - all the way along the river from Orleans to Kinzie. The City just fails to enforce the building restriction it set up. Not the first time that has happened, is it?

The KP gate on the west bank north of Kinzie is locked. However, just ask at the KP gatehouse. The guards have been instructed to let everyone in to visit the riverwalk during CPD hours but to instruct them to stay on the riverwalk and not wander off of it. Reilly is OK with the lock, but makes KP open up for riverwalk visitors - if asked.

I think the block from Kinzie to Grand along the east bank is open - but maybe only to Habitat's renters living at the apartment building at Grand. Reilly could be convinced to open up that stretch - or are his ties to Habitat that financially beneficial? lol!

Fulton House has so many structural and facade problems and a crushing special assessment that it is probably best torn down. The problem is really the Weese cottages on the south side of Kinzie. Cantankerous people with riparian rights live there.

RiverBend and River Point will have a beautiful riverwalk. RiverBend has kept its section open to everyone - 24/7 - since RiverBend was built.

River Point? At this point nobody knows if access to the riverwalk at Lake Street will be open 24/7 or if the elevated park will be open after office hours to anyone but diners at the restaurant or if a gate will be constructed by River Point where the open riverwalk in front of RiverBend ends. Hines won't say much of anything about access to the riverwalk or the elevated park when River Point is complete. But, if Hines closes access to the riverwalk from Lake St., look for RiverBend to ask to close access from its turn-around. What's good for the goose ...
how about we just go and break down every stupid gate that exists along the route.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Not everyone who lives at RiverBend is/was of one mind about the WP West Tower. And, those few, rare individuals who still oppose it will laugh all the way to the bank. Prices are already surging. I like that! Surging prices must be what is most annoying to posters here. lol!

Where else can you get over 2,500 sq. ft. in most units, 10'+ floor to ceiling windows that look out over River North from below Water Tower up to the North Avenue Beach and the Loop from Wacker Drive down to Sears Tower and units which have large terraces - and walk to work! It's like putting a pencil in front of your nose while looking at the Grand Canyon. Some's gone; a lot more survives. I'll miss the MM and Marina City. But, I won't miss 300 LaSalle or the Wyndham hotel.

Many more RiverBend residents welcome the West Tower. I think it will be a very pretty building. But, I also think the West Tower doesn't have the height to stand out (and praise here for that supposed effect on the Chicago skyline is really a stretch).

And, the West Tower should have been sited away from the riverbank to permit sunlight to the riverwalk it already covers over. Perpetual shade, the riverwalk ends at the Sun-Times Building and very few pedestrians will wander back there. It could have been better. Probably would have been worse, too, if BKl wasn't involved. Maybe the City will mandate the extension of the riverwalk all the way to Kinzie when the other WP Towers receive approval. But, that damage is irreparable.

However, the entire neighborhood won't be a sleepy backwater any more. It will be very vibrant and alive all the way from River North to at least Washington and Green Sts. And, the WP West Tower (as well as River Point, 150 Riverside, the proposed Crown family building on Franklin and the build out of the riverwalk to the Lake St. bridge) will contribute to the massive change.

Now, if the WP development team could fire PCP and get a more innovative design for the rest of WP ...
wow. defensive much? only noted that you/jarta live in riverbend... your criticism of the WP tower is laughable... the best feature of the building is the fact it cantilevers over the river walk and seriously? shadows? seriously?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
wow. defensive much? only noted that you/jarta live in riverbend... your criticism of the WP tower is laughable... the best feature of the building is the fact it cantilevers over the river walk and seriously? shadows? seriously?
Seriously, yes. I feel sunny promenades are better and more inviting than dark promenades. Defensive? Not at all.

The best parts of the West Tower are the sharp BKl design and the windows. My only criticisms have been omission of the small amount of wildlife habitat promised by the developer and the siting on top of the riverwalk. Those are really something I will miss. Obviously, you won't. Now, both of us need to move on.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:10 PM
BANNED

any developer that says "wildlife habitat" at that location deserves to be laughed at.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Seriously, yes. I feel sunny promenades are better and more inviting than dark promenades. Defensive? Not at all.

The best parts of the West Tower are the sharp BKl design and the windows. My only criticisms have been omission of the small amount of wildlife habitat promised by the developer and the siting on top of the riverwalk. Those are really something I will miss. Obviously, you won't. Now, both of us need to move on.
like I said.... defensive

there was no riverwalk there to begin with so it will be kinda hard for you to "miss"...

nobody would define the arcade as "dark"... again, laughable

BTW, being a neighbor of jarta's and all, how's he doing?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
The city has made allowances and exceptions provided the developers make alterations to designs including an arcade effect and other green space, i.e. Trump Tower. With Trump, you have 3 levels of river walk, one higher and set further back than the other. Structure and engineering play a role along with economics. Had the west tower been set back further it would have crowded the south tower.

This is where compromise comes in.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:13 AM

Quote:
like I said.... defensive

there was no riverwalk there to begin with so it will be kinda hard for you to "miss"...
Actually, you are very perseverative and quite wrong. Here's two pictures of the cement-paved riverwalk which was on the top of the natural bluff at WP for years. It ran along the top of the bluff from Orleans to the Apparel Mart. But, the paved riverwalk and the bluff were both destroyed. As I said, I'll miss them.

http://friendsofwolfpoint.com/wolfpoint1.JPG
http://media.chicagomag.com//whet/wo...ver=1359670357 (Hope one of the links work.)

But, nobody's going to move the West Tower now. It is rather permanently affixed. And, I want to make this perfectly clear: The West Tower is a stylish and rather pretty building. BKl did a good job with the site they were forced to use. BVictor's right. Life is a series of compromises. Again, isn't it time to move on?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:18 AM

look pilton/jarta, there is just something kinda weird about your posts... I know you like to heap praise on bKL (not BKl) and the design of the building, but it always seems to miss the point... like you are only parroting what others say and not really understanding the merits of the building... is it the greatest building ever? no, but it is a decent one and your comments don't quite reflect this reality...

more disturbing is you frequently focus criticism in your comments (that jarta constantly focused on) that was completely meaningless to almost everyone on this thread, i.e. shadows (ok, maybe Mr. D. would be empathetic ), river edge fauna, etc... none of which anyone with an appreciation of urbanism would ever give serious consideration of in this context...

and, if you want to "move one", I would suggest you stop making silly anti-urban statements that sound exactly like jarta...

and, one more thing, I seriously would like to know how jarta is doing... you must know your neighbor jarta that is the only other person who lives in RiverBend that has shown the same amount of singular focus on this site and building (at least in this thread), right?

(glad to know the friends of wolf point website is still up and running )

Last edited by pilsenarch; Apr 8, 2015 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:54 AM

This is why I'm afraid to buy downtown instead of rent. I don't want to have to try to justify it to myself and others for the rest of my life, and working myself into an existential crisis deciding if I'm still happy when any aspect of the building or location changes.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 3:00 AM

Edit: Nevermind.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive