HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:27 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
One thing I couldn't tell though is if the shorter tower on Mission will be right next to the existing white highrise or if that is going. Can't tell from the schematic below, but that doesn't mean much.

25 jessie street isn't going to be pulled down, no way. it has never been part of those parcels and anyway, i read that the fdic is there until like 2030 or something. this gang just didn't include it on the visual so as to draw attention to their own proposals (and also so as not to emphasize their heights and floor plates).

personally, i don't really like the idea of an open area along first. build above jessie street, sure, but line the lanes with shops so that it doesn't lose its charm. for people who don't know, this little jessie/ecker area is one of the most charming little corners of the south fidi. some serious thought has gone into the area and it really works. i appreciate the ideas for 50 first st here, they're very sensitive to the locale, but i hope that if they're to build over jessie, they bring in some lane-defining/preserving retail (like 300 sqf spaces even) along jessie from first to keep the area active and quaint. there are so many places to sit and relax in south fidi already, with far far more to come and harming jesse for this is just unnecessary.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:58 PM

John King echoes some of the comments here about the tower appearing too bulky:

Quote:
The initial design filed last week with the city Planning Department feels enormous but expedient, an effort to pack in every possible square foot without exceeding zoning limits or casting excessive shadows on existing public parks.

[...]

Keep the height, but whittle the square footage so that the bulk of the tower isn't so, yes, bulky. The main tower in the project will be a presence in the daily lives of thousands of nearby workers and residents. It needs to be uplifting, not overstuffed.
And here are clearer renderings of the plaza and tower:

Credit: TMG/Foster + Partners

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:13 PM

Wow

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

How could anybody be against this. This is elegant, and gorgeous. Slightly reminds me of Verre. Architecture that is pure bliss. SF is lucky, this is nice.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:25 PM

Wow! Ok, I love this tower. It's going to look amazing in San Fran.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 4:58 PM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
plaza

Credit: TMG/Foster + Partners
here's the existing configuration:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=ecker...oXbQiSixqtg3Lw

i don't at all like that they're adding a lane here for vehicular traffic. it should be like ecker street or any of the lanes on the other side of mission to and from the tbt.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesweeper View Post
And here are clearer renderings of the plaza and tower:
Wow, now I really like this tower. Though it looks like the SF renderings unicyclists are back (in the first pic), this time with a towering unicycle for a towering building

Also, I just realized that this building, the salesforce tower, and 181 Fremont all seem slightly exaggerated in height in the rendering with the view from treasure island.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:15 PM
DENNAB

Wow!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:40 PM

Honestly at first I was underwhelmed, but as these renderings get clearer and clearer and more focused on the details, I am really coming around. Although I still have virtually no idea what the second tower looks like. Although it's not in the "big 3" (Salesforce/50 First #1/181 Fremont), at over 600 feet it will still make a significant impact on our skyline. I hope the design is solid for that as well, and not an afterthought. Based on the limited renderings, I'm hoping their focus was on Tower 1 first and that it is not reflective of a lack of interest/attention on their part.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:46 PM
Sonoma Strong

Omg. Beautiful.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:58 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Warming to this one, was somewhat offput by its fatness, but the street level looks great and really like how the tower mass is lifted off the sidewalk.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:40 PM

Holy Shit! This would be one of the most beautiful towers in America! Build it!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:56 PM

I agree with John King. I like everything but the lower width. And that is the only thing I don't like-the close up renders are great! Just too much lower bulk on the one side. If they can tweak this a bit to be a little narrower, it will be a fantastic building! The diagrids look great and seem so fitting for that area being fairly close to the bay bridge and all.

Even if it is not thinner, I have to agree with others, seeing close up renderings, it will not be quite the behemoth I thought it would when I first saw the proposal. I think it would just look better a bit thinner now.

San Francisco is going to have such a fantastic skyline for such a fantastic city. Wish I was very wealthy so I could live there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:15 PM
She needs her space

The crown looks a bit like 1 Wall St as well, in terms of shape. Liking this. SF will really feel "tall" with these skyscrapers. Building spacing in the financial district is already such that the 450-600 ft tabletop already feels taller than it is, actually kind of like a Manhattan effect. Throw in these new towers and that area is really going to be intense. Will feel like the Loop or a slice of New York.

The residences might be higher than Park 181, but I think Park 181 will have slightly better views. Maybe they'll be on par if residences in this tower start at about 600 ft.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:16 PM

I think the bulkiness could work in its favor to offset the monolithic BofA tower. That building just looks so out of place on the skyline, and this would complement it nicely. Perhaps they can't pencil it out to thin the tower and keep the plaza at the same time. That plaza idea is really awesome and is much needed in an area that is becoming megapolis dense!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:41 PM

In some weird angular way, it reminds me of SOM's proposal for the Transbay Tower.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:56 PM

Like JWS mentioned I hope the design for the 2nd tower is a bit more inspiring than what the rendering shows. I hope it ties in better with the design of the main tower and hopefully it doesn't end up being a throw away companion to this elegant, but bulky, tower.
I am in the agreement that the lower half needs to be re-worked... possibly having it taper down towards the base a bit more. Ultimately I am really excited with the proposal.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:04 PM
Here we stAy

I'll echo everyone else's comments by saying this is one great looking tower in the rendering. Not bothered at all by the bulk either.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:28 PM

The west side of the building looks like it might be more vertical with horizontal set backs. I would like to see more detail of that as well. In the meantime, the new renderings look fantastic!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:01 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I love the taller tower and don't have any problem with the bulk at the base.

Also, people should remember that with all the City's height limits and tapering requirements, the large floorplates on the lower floors may be the only thing that makes this high-end design financially feasible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive