HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Sooooo no one is gonna mention anything about the giant Amazon Warehouse in SW sitting dormant?

I think it was very disrespectful for them to push aside the Septa Trolley Barn for the Amazon warehouse only for it to never open, and sit there unused.

That plot of land could have been 200 Rowhomes or something much more beneficial for the community.
Force Amazon to sell the lot first. I doubt that Amazon warehouse will ever open. Could be another bus depot too. In case the city wants to increase bus service one day

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Sooooo no one is gonna mention anything about the giant Amazon Warehouse in SW sitting dormant?

I think it was very disrespectful for them to push aside the Septa Trolley Barn for the Amazon warehouse only for it to never open, and sit there unused.

That plot of land could have been 200 Rowhomes or something much more beneficial for the community.
no one should be surprised. Companies like amazon come off as saviors and every city and state is desperate to claim they attracted lots of jobs so they will bend over backwards to entice Amazon and help grease the skids to get them to set up shop- even if its just for warehouse jobs.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
MSG was a horrible mistake and should be undone.
For Market East, we are just building over a mall that has a train station, I hope the train station still gets daylight after the arena is built.
Nowadays, with MSG being the oldest NBA (and NHL) arena, it's looked at in much the same vein as Fenway & Wrigley Parks for MLB, & Lambeau Field for the NFL. It may have been a horrible mistake back in 1964 to tear down the old Pennsylvania station, but the MSG arena is culturally, and essentially a major site in NY.

From the Knicks two NBA championships, to the Rangers 1994 championship braking the 54-year curse, to the many boxing fights that took place at MSG, to many concerts, NYC sees less of a reason to tear down MSG and build over it, even though a $1B 10-year arena built in 2012 sits in Bklyn, the MSG is a much more significant arena than the Barclays Center, plus it went through extensive renovations from 2010 to 2013, so even though it looks old fashioned on the outside, it's essentially a brand new arena.

Last edited by wanderer34; Mar 23, 2023 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:09 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

SEPTA hopes installing high-tech vertical gates will deter turnstile jumpers

https://www.audacy.com/kywnewsradio/...are-jumpers-el

Quote:
The transit agency would add 16 full-length fare gates at 13th Street Station along the Market-Frankford Line and six at 34th Street Station. Turnstiles would be replaced with full-height barriers that glide open.

“The most common behavior with fare evasion is jumping over the turnstile. You simply couldn’t do that with the way that these gates are configured,” said SEPTA spokesperson Andrew Busch. “We want to test this technology out and see if it helps us with fare evasion.”

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 10:48 AM

The ever-popular Inga Saffron weighs in on 76 Place:

Quote:
But given the immense obstacles, it’s worth asking whether this is the best downtown site for a Sixers arena. While the so-called Disney hole at Eighth and Market is the wrong shape for an arena, there is no shortage of empty lots along Arch Street, all a short walk to Jefferson Station. And there’s always Broad and Pattison, which, by the way, also has excellent transit.

Where does that leave Market Street, then? The train station wasn’t renamed by accident. Jefferson Hospital has been steadily moving north from its main campus on Walnut Street. It has already established a beachhead in the former Aramark tower at 11th and Market. There’s room for two more towers on top of the Fashion District, which was designed to support an overbuild. Meanwhile, residential developers have gradually been changing Market Street’s retail character by erecting apartments.

Unlike the fans who go to basketball games, the people who live and work in such towers are present every day. They will shop in the Fashion District’s stores, eat in Chinatown’s restaurants, and use Jefferson Station’s trains. Before Philadelphia commits to an arena, it’s worth remembering that there’s more than one way to save Market Street.
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230323.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

So she's recommending we site the arena ON ARCH STREET? In the center of Chinatown?

Got it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:03 PM
Chris

Quote:

These should be at every busy station.
I remember walking through one of these in Lisbon, Portugal and it almost chopped me in half because I walked too slow, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post

Sometimes I like Inga, other times she blows smoke. But I enjoyed this article. She laid out the massive technical undertaking for this project. (although the Arch Street idea is bad and will never happen).

It does make me wonder, is this worth it? And is this the best idea for Market Street?

It will never happen, but I'd rather see the city work with a competent developer and create a master plan for Market Street from 8th-11th.
I'm thinking demolish part of the Fashion District, reskin the rest, demolish most of the South side of Market, construct residential towers, a nice hotel (JW Marriott or similar), some nice entertainment venues and restaurants, lure in a few big box retailers (Best Buy, Crate & Barrell, etc.), and continue the Ludlow pedestrian path to the Nix Federal Building.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
These should be at every busy station.
I remember walking through one of these in Lisbon, Portugal and it almost chopped me in half because I walked too slow, lol.

Sometimes I like Inga, other times she blows smoke. But I enjoyed this article. She laid out the massive technical undertaking for this project. (although the Arch Street idea is bad and will never happen).

It does make me wonder, is this worth it? And is this the best idea for Market Street?

It will never happen, but I'd rather see the city work with a competent developer and create a master plan for Market Street from 8th-11th.
I'm thinking demolish part of the Fashion District, reskin the rest, demolish most of the South side of Market, construct residential towers, a nice hotel (JW Marriott or similar), some nice entertainment venues and restaurants, lure in a few big box retailers (Best Buy, Crate & Barrell, etc.), and continue the Ludlow pedestrian path to the Nix Federal Building.
Its funny- no one has really asked the question- is this the best way to spend $1.3B? That money could go a long way for a different kind of market street development that included apts and hotels and entertainment. a $1.3b box that will be dead during the day may not be best way to activate market street.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Its funny- no one has really asked the question- is this the best way to spend $1.3B? That money could go a long way for a different kind of market street development that included apts and hotels and entertainment. a $1.3b box that will be dead during the day may not be best way to activate market street.
Well when you have $1.3B to invest, you can let us know what you want

Quote:
The arena would probably make this more likely to happen than not. It could be a catalyst to bring people there at night for games, concerts, and other entertainment that the neighborhood is sorely lacking right now. Boston's TD Garden redevelopment should serve as a model.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 2:26 PM

Quote:
What $1.3B? I don't think the Sixers are offering up this money for other projects.

I still think this is a good location for the arena, but agree that dropping the ceiling at Jefferson Station is unacceptable and am glad the team was told that would not happen.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:02 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post

The arena would probably make this more likely to happen than not. It could be a catalyst to bring people there at night for games, concerts, and other entertainment that the neighborhood is sorely lacking right now. Boston's TD Garden redevelopment should serve as a model.
I also want some of this to be completed or at least under construction by 2026 (World Cup). Thousands of visitors will pass through that corridor in Summer of 2026, and the current state is embarrassing.

Not referring to the arena plan, but the South side of Market.

The area around TD Garden is nicely done, I stayed at the Courtyard 2 nights for a work trip last summer.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:34 PM

I think it’s important to point out that the arena is only taking 1/3 of the fashion district. I agree the concerns about it being empty during the day are real issues but it’s not as though we’re using the entirety of market east for this project.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I also want some of this to be completed or at least under construction by 2026 (World Cup). Thousands of visitors will pass through that corridor in Summer of 2026, and the current state is embarrassing.

Not referring to the arena plan, but the South side of Market.

The area around TD Garden is nicely done, I stayed at the Courtyard 2 nights for a work trip last summer.
Yep. Inga's point about Jefferson Station is a good one. If they do build this, TD Garden needs to be the model, not Barclays. It's high up enough that the food and retail complex underneath still feels airy, as does (admittedly to a lesser extent) North Station.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:

Hallelujah! Let’s get these on the city hall station too. I wonder why they didn’t start there.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:45 PM

Quote:
that is not what the sixers are in business to do.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:10 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Black Community leaders are Pro 76 Place Arena.

Let's remember that this arena doesn't only benefit people wanting to see games, this benefits People of color in communities that love basketball, and opportunities for people as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:17 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Cardeza you're one of the forumers I've grown to love, but what are you talking about?

1.3b investment from the Sixers for an arena on Market St will boost the area. why are people acting like it won't.

When Liberty Place was built it boosted the area, and changed it, big development projects do that.

Not including this arena has retail, and restaurants so it will be active at all times, not including other events, you're just wrong when it comes to this development.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Nowadays, with MSG being the oldest NBA (and NHL) arena, it's looked at in much the same vein as Fenway & Wrigley Parks for MLB, & Lambeau Field for the NFL. It may have been a horrible mistake back in 1964 to tear down the old Pennsylvania station, but the MSG arena is culturally, and essentially a major site in NY.

From the Knicks two NBA championships, to the Rangers 1994 championship braking the 54-year curse, to the many boxing fights that took place at MSG, to many concerts, NYC sees less of a reason to tear down MSG and build over it, even though a $1B 10-year arena built in 2012 sits in Bklyn, the MSG is a much more significant arena than the Barclays Center, plus it went through extensive renovations from 2010 to 2013, so even though it looks old fashioned on the outside, it's essentially a brand new arena.
MSG is awesome. The bars are packed with people buzzing with excitement. The views are still awesome and intimate, the ceiling is really unique for an arena too. I know it's had a lot of renovations but it's insane to think it was built when the Spectrum was. I think the arena/stadium arms race is slowing down a little bit too. I would think the newest batches of stadiums (Chase Center, Fiserv Forum, Little Caesars Arena, etc) will last at least 40-50 years because there's less possible improvements to make. I'd say the same with football. When you look at the Rams, Vikings and Falcons stadiums, it's hard to see anything that would super outdated in 25 years. But look at the Vet or Spectrum after 25 years, they were totally inadequate.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Hallelujah! Let’s get these on the city hall station too. I wonder why they didn’t start there.
I hope these fare gates will be reinforced because those renders don't seem promising. I also hope we have officers standing the fare gate so people don't break them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development