HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Are they going to open all 17 at once or will they open up a section every few months. Also does the east wing only have 22 gates? The west wing has 25. It seems kind of weird that they would open everything but 3 gates at the end of the year….

It seems like everything about this has been ahead of schedule. I predict we have 5-10 more gates on top of the one’s opening in May by September.
Yes, sir! 5 new gates to set opens on May 16, 2023 and 17 more gates to set opens in the Fall 2023.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 5:16 PM
Development Junkie

[QUOTE=ucsbgaucho;9873798]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Gordon Huether Studio has listed some new airport art on their website. A surprise for sure, the airport has certainly kept quiet on this.

That's pretty cool, talk about unique and eye-catching. Very excited for this, and glad that it's being built at a scale that will be impressive to see and noticeable for a long distance. Cool that they are also using what I assume is corten steel, which is the copper-colored steel used in landscaping, that weathers and changes color over time.
Right now, the "you are here" orb and "SLC" will only be seen as you arrive at the airport. I think they should also add the orb and "SLC" to the outbound side of the sculpture. It'll be one of the first things visitors see as they leave the airport.

That is really cool though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 4:05 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

They're finally going vertical in the middle section on Concourse B East.
https://slcairport.com/thenewslc/reb...gress-gallery/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:32 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

South Concourse East - Feb 24, 2023

North Concourse East - Feb 23, 2023

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 7:49 AM

This article is from a few days ago but I don't think it was posted here:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50588457...tructure-funds

Quote:
Salt Lake City airport expansion project gets cut of $1B in federal infrastructure funds
Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY — Federal aviation officials on Monday announced they are sending $29 million to Salt Lake City International Airport as the airport plans to add 16 new gates to Concourse B in the next few years.

It is one of 99 airport terminal projects that will get funds from this year's round of the Airport Terminal Program set up by the Federal Aviation Administration via the 2021 Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. The bill set aside $1 billion in funds for the program every year from fiscal year 2022 through the 2026 fiscal year. No Utah airports received program funding last year....

...The grant will help replace aging and capacity-constrained facilities as a part of the airport's Concourse B-East expansion project, according to the federal agency. It will go toward the 16 new gates and up to five permanent hardstand positions in the expanded concourse.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 5:08 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

It seems like they have been saying late 2023 for the last 17 gates on concourse A. I noticed that the website now specifically says October 2023!! I’m hoping it’s early October. I’m flying to Orlando on Oct 27th. It would be awesome if it was opened by then.

When was the tunnel suppose to open? Just by the looks of things, I’m guessing mid to late 2024? Seems like they said 2025 at one point, but I don’t buy that for a second.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
It seems like they have been saying late 2023 for the last 17 gates on concourse A. I noticed that the website now specifically says October 2023!! I’m hoping it’s early October. I’m flying to Orlando on Oct 27th. It would be awesome if it was opened by then.

When was the tunnel suppose to open? Just by the looks of things, I’m guessing mid to late 2024? Seems like they said 2025 at one point, but I don’t buy that for a second.
Issue on the central tunnel is not the completion of the tunnel itself, but what it's connecting to.

They just started erecting steel for the central node of Concourse B in the past week or so.

Based on the deilvery schedule, I'd guess Fall 2024.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 5:44 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnslSLC View Post
Issue on the central tunnel is not the completion of the tunnel itself, but what it's connecting to.

They just started erecting steel for the central node of Concourse B in the past week or so.

Based on the deilvery schedule, I'd guess Fall 2024.
November 2024 is the current official date for the Node and Tunnel.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 11:08 PM
Lahaina Strong

Not major news, but the airport is joining the electric bus game.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 1:57 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

They just released these images, but they're from several weeks ago, so I'm sure there's been a significant amount of progress since these were taken.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 4:00 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

A few pics from late March. Putting on the finishing touches for the next few gates that will open in South Concourse East.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:01 AM
Lahaina Strong

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 2:07 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
I was waiting for them to show a wide angle of the entire area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Cool!! Thanks for sharing this! I just saw that.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 9:36 PM
Lahaina Strong

Old Posted Apr 15, 2023, 3:50 AM
Lahaina Strong

These are in the slides for the upcoming meeting, I assume the "Entrance" one is for the "Gateway Sculpture" and I haven't a clue about the other.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 2:33 PM

Rumor has it that the exit site will feature a certain notable arch of Olympics origin... but I emphasize that this is just something I overheard.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 8:57 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Oh wow… They are actually building a wall in front of gates A26,28,30,32??? I kind of thought they would open that full fist section of corridor and that the 4 gates on the south facing side would just not be in use… in the photos it kind of looks like they are building a wall in front of them…. Humm. Will any restaurants or shops be opening along with the 5 gates on May 16th?

They did post a date for the other 17 as October 31st… that’s kind of a bummer. I have a flight on the 27th. I was hoping I might get to be on one of the new gates… I guess they will be open when I get back though… I assume A26-48 will all be Delta???

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 9:08 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Not major news, but the airport is joining the electric bus game.

I wonder if they will start running less busses or continue to run some gas busses. I believe they currently run up to six buses for the economy lot and up to two for the employee parking lot.

Speaking of the economy lot, they really need to repave the main roadways in there. Seems like the bus drivers and cars are having a hard time maneuvering around the huge potholes.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 3:08 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
I wonder if they will start running less busses or continue to run some gas busses. I believe they currently run up to six buses for the economy lot and up to two for the employee parking lot.
These busses aren't replacing the whole fleet. SLCDA operates at least two dozen busses so these 4 will be replacing old buses or expanding service.

Quote:
Oh wow… They are actually building a wall in front of gates A26,28,30,32??? I kind of thought they would open that full fist section of corridor and that the 4 gates on the south facing side would just not be in use… in the photos it kind of looks like they are building a wall in front of them…. Humm. Will any restaurants or shops be opening along with the 5 gates on May 16th?

They did post a date for the other 17 as October 31st… that’s kind of a bummer. I have a flight on the 27th. I was hoping I might get to be on one of the new gates… I guess they will be open when I get back though… I assume A26-48 will all be Delta???
I'd have to check the layout but that wall may concession space.

With your flight just a few days before the opening of those gates you may still get a peek. They don't take a sledgehammer to the wall the morning of the first flight, they may have the space open sooner. I explored the "West Gates" at LAX two weeks before they "opened" because they had it all ready to go.

A will all be Delta (and international) initially, as I understand they eventually intend to make B all delta and move everybody else to A as more of Delta's passengers are just connecting so walking distances would be more optimized. Even when that happens A will still be mostly Delta as Delta and Delta Connection make up close to 80% of SLC's traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West