HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:00 PM

Well it’s not all that safe on NYC subways and buses either anymore. I have a friend who lives in downtown Brooklyn and it’s got so bad since the pandemic that he bought a car and refused to ride the trains. I agree it’s pretty bad taking the subway in LA and it started getting bad about two years before the pandemic started but has gotten worse now. I’m not saying things never happened before, because certain routes going through rough areas of the city could be bad, but usually if you mind your own business it was still pretty safe. I used to commute everyday to work back in the late 90’s early 2000’s and never had a problem.

I stopped taking public transportation here in LA for that very reason. I think it’s probably gotten worse in most major cities in the USA. I even noticed the last two times I visited San Diego I took the trolley and there was definitely some sketchy people on the train more so than the previous years I’ve been on their trains.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Mar 18, 2023 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 9:14 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Transit ridership is generally down across the country. When ordinary commuters disappear, safety drops and all of the dysfunction that was there the whole time becomes more obvious to the casual observer.

According to a San Francisco Chronicle article posted today, the Bay Area's transit ridership has dropped even more precipitously than ours has, and remains more anemic since the onset of the pandemic. The article reports that Los Angeles bus ridership is now 80% of pre-pandemic levels, compared with only 60% in the Bay Area. Trains are doing worse in both regions, however; as of December, LA's Metro was carrying only 57% of its pre-pandemic ridership, while BART was at only 38%. Train ridership in both regions was significantly higher in the months prior to December, however, so it's possible the numbers are reflecting holiday vacations for workers and students.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Well it’s not all that safe on NYC subways and buses either anymore. I have a friend who lives in downtown Brooklyn and it’s got so bad since the pandemic that he bought a car and refused to ride the trains. I agree it’s pretty bad taking the subway in LA and it started getting bad about two years before the pandemic started but has gotten worse now. I’m not saying things never happened before, because certain routes going through rough areas of the city could be bad, but usually if you mind your own business it was still pretty safe. I used to commute everyday to work back in the late 90’s early 2000’s and never had a problem.

I stopped taking public transportation here in LA for that very reason. I think it’s probably gotten worse in most major cities in the USA. I even noticed the last two times I visited San Diego I took the trolley and there was definitely some sketchy people on the train more so than the previous years I’ve been on their trains.
This. I have friends in Chicago who have been terrified to use the trains there since 2020. And Chicago reddit confirms this way of thinking. Those friends used trains every day to work. Not since the pandemic though. They drive.

NYC reddit does too, those people don't sugarcoat how bad NYC trains have been. And NYC tik tok has a gazillion scary subway videos the past 2 years.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:39 PM

If anyone hasn't seen Fred Rosen's emails to Metro regarding the Sepulveda Transit Corridor that Numble has been posting on twitter, I suggest you go read them. I don't think I've ever seen more consistent nasty (non-anonymous) correspondence in my life, especially from a somewhat public figure. I have to imagine that those emails have destroyed any influence he ever had over Metro leadership.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 4:39 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
New people mover system continues to make progress at LAX
It's the centerpiece of LAX's $5.5-billion Landside Access Modernization Program
MARCH 28, 2023, 8:15AM STEVEN SHARP

A new batch of construction photos published by Los Angeles World Airports showcase progress on the new LAX automated people mover system, the centerpiece of the airport's $5.5-billion Landside Access Modernization Program.

Running along a 2.25-mile concrete guideway which was completed last year, the people mover will connect the central terminal area with two new ground transportation hubs located to the east, as well as a new Metro Rail connection and a massive car rental hub.

Passengers will be shuttled along the elevated, monorail-like system within a fleet of 44 driverless INNOVIA 300 vehicles, which began arriving in Los Angeles last year. At peak hours, the people mover will operate every two minutes, with an end-to-end trip of 10 minutes between the westernmost station in the central terminal area and the easternmost station at the rental car hub.

Plans call for a total of three stops within the central terminal area, which will connect to the passenger facilities around the notoriously congested horseshoe road through a series of pedestrian bridges.

As of last year, the people mover was expected to begin serving LAX passengers sometime in 2023.
https://la.urbanize.city/post/new-pe...e-progress-lax

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:31 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 10:01 PM

It's about time!! Home stretch, let's hope!

From Metro's The Source:

Heads up: Regional Connector train testing is underway — and you may see and hear some changes to trains on the A, E and L Lines

BY LA METRO , MARCH 29, 2023

While there is still work to complete, we have some good news — train testing on the Regional Connector project has begun in anticipation of its opening later this year. We don’t yet have a date but this is great step forward.

Via a new tunnel with three underground stations in downtown Los Angeles, the project is tying together the A, E and L Lines (Blue, Expo, Gold) into two new rail lines — the new A and E Lines. The new A Line will run north-south between Azusa and Long Beach, while the new E Line will run east-west between East LA and Santa Monica.

This map shows the change:

As part of the testing, trains from 7th/Metro, Pico/Aliso and Union Station will drop off riders and then travel through the three new stations without passengers. During this time, riders of the A, E and L Lines may start to see and hear updated line letters on trains and signs as we test the new service.

We promise to make the transition as smooth as possible, but you will likely see both old and new for a little while as we test the service and get ready for the opening.

What can riders expect during the testing phase?

Train Signs: Destinations displayed will be correct, but line letters and colors may reflect future service — for example, you may encounter a train on the L Line that carries the A Line’s color as seen in the below pics.

Train Announcements: Destinations announced will be correct, however L Line announcements may reflect future service. For example, if you’re riding the L Line from Union Station to APU/Citrus, you might hear this announcement: “This is an A Line train to Azusa/Union Station.” Those riding from Pico/Aliso to Atlantic may hear “This is an E Line train to Union Station/East LA.” Bottom line: the trains are going where you expect them to be going.

Special note for 7th St/Metro riders: Beginning April 9, Platform 1 will be used only for arriving trains and all departing trains will leave from Platform 2.

Stay safe: As test trains begin to operate more frequently on 1st Street in the Boyle Heights, Arts District and Little Tokyo communities:

–Never walk on the train tracks.
–Never walk/ride a bike, scooter or skateboard in the train, on the tracks, or at the station.
–Always obey all warning signs.
–Watch for trains from both directions on both tracks.

What can riders expect once the project is complete?

A Line Riders: The A Line will run between Long Beach and Azusa, via the three new downtown LA stations.

E Line Riders: The E Line will run between Santa Monica and East LA, via three new downtown LA stations. The “E” on maps and signage will change color from light blue to gold.

L Line Riders: The part of the current L Line between Little Tokyo/Arts District and Azusa will become part of the A Line. The part of the L Line between Little Tokyo/Arts District and Atlantic will become part of the E Line. The color for this part of the line will remain gold.
And good news: once the Regional Connector opens, the L Line Shuttle will go away. The new A Line will connect Union Station and Little Tokyo/Arts District Station.

Transfers between the A and E Lines: you’ll be able to transfer between the A and E Lines at five stations in DTLA: Pico, 7th/Metro, Grand Ave Arts/Bunker Hill and Little Tokyo/Arts District. The transfer is easy: step off one train and wait for the next one on the same platform.

More about the Project: The Regional Connector is a 1.9-mile twin tunnel under downtown Los Angeles that is connecting the A, E and L Lines to make travel to and through downtown L.A. quicker with fewer transfers. The project will make traveling by transit throughout our county and region faster and more convenient.

For example, riders from Azusa and East LA will be able to travel directly into the heart of downtown L.A. without having to transfer to the B/D Line subway at Union Station. Similarly, riders on the A and E Lines will be able to reach more DTLA destinations without having to transfer to the subway at 7th/Metro.

Those who know their transit history may recall that the original L Line to Pasadena was supposed to run to 7th/Metro. Budget constraints prevented that from happening and the project was built instead between Union Station and Pasadena. The Connector, two decades later, supplies the missing link!

Link: https://thesource.metro.net/2023/03/...l-line-trains/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 10:20 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

I'm psyched about the Regional Connector. It will simplify the entire train system.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I'm psyched about the Regional Connector. It will simplify the entire train system.
Agreed. Metro just needs to be sure to keep the trains clean and safe or it will undermine the success of the system. I worry, given the horror stories about blue line trains... what the effect will be on the gold line route once the blue and gold become merged into one super A line route.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 5:38 PM

at least the mta is trying to be proactive instead of merely active. If it works, go for it.

Quote:

shutterstock/dogora sun

Los Angeles has started to blast loud classical music at one of its downtown subway stations in a brazen attempt to deter homeless people and crack down on crime.

LA Metro operations and security, in cooperation with local law enforcement, started playing piano sonatas, symphony orchestra pieces and concertos by Vivaldi, Beethoven and Mozart on repeat in the Westlake/MacArthur Park Metro station in January.

It was part of a safety pilot program that also includes adjustments to security cameras and lighting, as well as the addition of more officers and ‘Transit Ambassadors’ who connect homeless people in the subway system for resources.

Metro officials said the move was necessary due to a high number of drug overdoses, calls to police from transit customers and even a stabbing death in recent months as the city’s spate of homeless people took to the underground caves to protect themselves from wild weather.

In a statement to the Los Angeles Times recently, LA Metro spokesperson Dave Sotero said the classical music is being used ‘to restore safety at the transit station’ and ‘as a means to support an atmosphere appropriate for spending short periods of time for transit customers who wait an average of five to 10 minutes for the next train to arrive.’

It came after 22 people died of suspected overdoses on the Metro buses and trains in just the first three months of 2023 after the system already saw crime surge 24 percent last year. So far, Metro officials say, the music has resulted in an ‘improvement in public safety,’ citing a ’75 percent reduction in calls for emergency services, an over 50 percent reduction in vandalism, graffiti and cleanups; and a nearly 20 percent drop in crime.
https://t.co/Rvm7598QZQ

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 6:14 PM

nvm, delete.

Last edited by edale; Apr 5, 2023 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 6:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

Love it

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:26 PM

Making the station environment so unbearable that no one rides would create a 100% reduction in crime and complaints. So should we do that?

This is all at one station. So my question - why can't the cops do the freaking job they're paid hundreds of millions by Metro to do and just put 1 cop full time at the station? Then we don't need to blare music and crazy volumes to deter people from using the system.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:29 PM

I know Metro is exploring creating its own police department and I think that's a great idea. We're just not getting anything from the corrupt Sheriff's department and the apathetic LAPD. Numble recently reported that when LAPD was asked by Metro's head of safety to put more officers in stations and on trains/buses (instead of in their cars outside of the stations), the response they got was "I'm not going to be told how to allocate resources from by a bus company". That's a completely unacceptable (but unsurprising) attitude and should disqualify them from being the security provider on our transit system.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 5:31 PM

Quote:
But reporters for the LA Times, using a handheld decibel reader, found that just a few notes were ringing in at 73dB, while the majority of the music was clocking in at an average of 83dBs.

During some string flourishes, the sound peaked at 90dB thanks to the acoustics of the underground tunnel, though the volume diminished depending on where one was standing in relation to the speakers.
How loud are the trains themselves? The LA Times showed up with a hammer but was blind to all of the nails.

Also, as much as classical music is associated with the upper class, so is homeless advocacy. In my city, a notorious homeless shelter was established right next to the symphony's concert hall. The same super-rich people donated to both of them.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 8:24 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Also, as much as classical music is associated with the upper class, so is homeless advocacy.
That is not necessarily true here in Los Angeles. The advocates for the homeless on our television news and in the LA Times are young, radical, and working class.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 9:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Plus some Hollywood types...

____

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 10:51 PM

Upcoming renovations for 7th/Metro

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 11:39 PM

^ That's good to hear. 7th and Metro has always been a Union Station 2.0 of sorts for LA (though that may diminish with the Regional Connector). I like that they are focused on making the station brighter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation