HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 1:29 PM

SEPTA CEO says math doesn't work for Roosevelt Boulevard Subway.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ate=2023-01-27

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
SEPTA CEO says math doesn't work for Roosevelt Boulevard Subway.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ate=2023-01-27
There is so much Federal money out there. Philadelphia leaders and PA leaders won't care to match funds to build this Subway.
Clearly I'm bias towards building this. Roughly 3-5 billion is needed in matching and I'm sure that PennDot and Philadelphia can match it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 3:27 PM

New gun detection A.I. is being deployed on the subway closed circuit camera network

https://zeroeyes.com/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
New gun detection A.I. is being deployed on the subway closed circuit camera network

https://zeroeyes.com/

deleted

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 6:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

Got nowhere to run to, baby... Nowhere to hide

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:45 PM

SEPTA pursues capital projects before its COVID relief funding expires in 2025.
Nothing earth shattering in this article, just a good recap.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:43 PM

Op ed piece in the Philly Business Journal advocating to build the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway. The author proposes using prefabricated construction as a means of saving millions, which is an interesting idea.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=3#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Op ed piece in the Philly Business Journal advocating to build the Roosevelt Boulevard Subway. The author proposes using prefabricated construction as a means of saving millions, which is an interesting idea.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=3#cxrecs_s
Got to give Jay some credit, even in the face of defeat, he got a guest column in the Business Journal to make his case lol.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Got to give Jay some credit, even in the face of defeat, he got a guest column in the Business Journal to make his case lol.
Yeah, and he made an assumption about people thinking that TBM's would be required, and that that was part of the calculus of the overall cost. I don't remember ever seeing that anywhere - as far as I can recall, it has always been assumed to have been cut 'n' cover.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Was going to say the same. I've never heard itvsuggested anywhere that a Roosevelt subway would be deep bored tunnel. It's nonsensical as the wide reserved right of way is right there just waiting to be excavated. I would imagine significant cost increase for TBM, let alone a cost advantage. And I'm not sure precast tunnel segments for a cut and cover subway would necessarily save money over cast in place when all factors are figured in. I could be wrong though. It's something that should be investigated.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ Was going to say the same. I've never heard itvsuggested anywhere that a Roosevelt subway would be deep bored tunnel. It's nonsensical as the wide reserved right of way is right there just waiting to be excavated. I would imagine significant cost increase for TBM, let alone a cost advantage. And I'm not sure precast tunnel segments for a cut and cover subway would necessarily save money over cast in place when all factors are figured in. I could be wrong though. It's something that should be investigated.
prefab stations probably do save some money, but I doubt it would be enough to make the difference between whether the line is built or not.
I have to say, for a Penn PhD candidate advocating for a major transit infrastructure project, he does not write very persuasively or eloquently.

Last edited by thoughtcriminal; Feb 7, 2023 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 3:42 PM
Me?!?

Officials: Chester Valley Trail to overlap with future King of Prussia Rail Project
https://www.timesherald.com/2023/02/...l-project/amp/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 6:50 PM

DVRPC Passes Resolution to Study Roosevelt Boulevard Subway

https://twitter.com/BlvdSubway/statu...VDkhaE-jw&s=19

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 7:23 PM

I can't find the link to it now, but there was a sketch of what this guy from Penn wants to do in terms of the design; he wants to cut & cover the tunnel in the median, which makes sense. but then he proposes to have the entrance headhouses also just in the median, not in the pedestrian sidewalks. no mezzanine, just one flight of steps to get directly to the platform. so you would have to cross 3 lanes of traffic to get to the subway.
I get why he wants to do that, it is the easiest and most economical thing. but it seems a little impractical to have to go across all that traffic to get to the train.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 7:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't see why an economically pre-fabricated but generously scaled and well designed underpass box couldnt be placed at at least the side of the street of the headhouses to provide pedestrians a safe path across both directions of Roosevelt Blvd to the median station houses. You'd go down and up and down again, but is that a big deal? With the sunk lanes at the same level as the trackway I dont see any other way of doing it short of even deeper underpasses under the sunken roadway or unsightly aerial opedestrian bridges.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 7:57 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

The best bet in this city is to build the subway first, and then add pedestrian tunnels to the subway after, just like how they are adding Elevators at stops now for the BSL & PATCO LINES.

It just makes it so the project actually gets done, and all the extras can be done after.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 8:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Except that's not really how big modern civil projects are built anymore. All elements of a major transit expansion like this are going to be rolled up into large packaged construction contracts. The economical underpass route that I was describing woyld likely not represent a significant expense in relation to the rest of the road/rail excavation, grade separation and build-out anyway.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I can't find the link to it now, but there was a sketch of what this guy from Penn wants to do in terms of the design
Think this is the sketch you’re referring to:
https://twitter.com/blvdsubway/statu...IAtgR01EHy_yNw

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 12:07 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ Except that's not really how big modern civil projects are built anymore. All elements of a major transit expansion like this are going to be rolled up into large packaged construction contracts. The economical underpass route that I was describing woyld likely not represent a significant expense in relation to the rest of the road/rail excavation, grade separation and build-out anyway.
Huh? you think cutting a tunnel, from the median to the outer lanes of the blvd won't cause detours, and be a big construction project, in multiple areas throughout the the blvd.

Pedestrian tunnels to the outer lanes will 100% add a cost onto the overall project budget.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 1:37 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Which is why i said prefabricated pedestrian tunnels. You could excavate a trench, crane in the ped tunnel, refill and repave in a three day weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation