HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I'm honestly shocked that Detroit can absorb any new hotel rooms, let alone 600-800, just given how many have been constructed in the past 10-15 years, with even more planned to be coming online (Hudson's).
There really hasn't been that much constructed in the last ten years though, mostly a lot of boutique hotels and nothing large scale. Both Hudsons and Godfrey are only in the 200+ range. They won't be enough either when they come online and Edition is ultra luxury, not like a normal hotel. Seattle recently built a Hyatt Regency with over a thousand rooms. We've gotten nothing nearly that big, that's the kind of hotel Detroit needs.

The city has been extremely hotel constrained for a long time now. It's really not shocking at all it can absorb way more rooms.

Last edited by The North One; Feb 3, 2023 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:38 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
There really hasn't been that much constructed in the last ten years though, mostly a lot of boutique hotels and nothing large scale. Both Hudsons and Godfrey are only in the 200+ range. They won't be enough either when they come online and Edition is ultra luxury, not like a normal hotel. Seattle recently built a Hyatt Regency with over a thousand rooms. We've gotten nothing nearly that big, that's the kind of hotel Detroit needs.

The city has been extremely hotel constrained for a long time now. It's really not shocking at all it can adsorb way more rooms.
You’re probably right, just seems like a lot when you count the projects, but most have been relatively small. It would be amazing to get something iconic architecturally on the waterfront.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 6:48 AM
Registered Ugly

A little more info from Detroit News:

Quote:

“What's happening is that there are events that are just straight up choosing not to come here simply because they would have to shuttle-bus their attendees and that's just not optimal, especially when you have choices in other cities like Houston or in Indianapolis where they've got 2,000 rooms connected to the convention center,” he said.

As last year ended, hotel room occupancy in Detroit’s central business district was steadily returning to pre-pandemic levels, according to STR, a global hospitality data and analytics company. The year-to-date occupancy as of October was 51.9%, up from 34.1% for the same time period in 2021 and 28.6% in 2020.

As of October 2019, occupancy in the central business was 69.9%. That occupancy level is just shy of the level when a hotel market would typically consider adding new hotels, which is north of 70%, Romy Bhojwani, director of hospitality market analytics at CoStar Group, STR’s parent company, told The News in December.
Source: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...l/69860652007/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:50 PM

I would think adding another tower across the street at the pontch would be a great location but our, not so smart, city council denied the permit? They had the money and wanted to start construction! I hope they reconsider? The more construction the better!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerDetroit View Post
I would think adding another tower across the street at the pontch would be a great location but our, not so smart, city council denied the permit? They had the money and wanted to start construction! I hope they reconsider? The more construction the better!
Plans for a second tower were revived back in November.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 9:41 PM
Detroiter4life

New partnership seeks to raise $350 million for Joe Louis Greenway, riverfront

Quote:
The groups announced the Unified Greenway Partnership on Tuesday after the Detroit City Council pledged $3 million annually to each project for maintenance and operation, contingent on the new partnership jointly raising $100 million to create a permanent endowment at the Community Foundation of Southeast Michigan.

That endowment will help fund the perpetual care of the 27.5-mile Joe Louis Greenway that will connect the Detroit Riverfront with 23 neighborhoods in Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park and Dearborn and the 5.5-mile Detroit Riverwalk, with some parts under construction and other existing and developing public parks along its span.

The conservancy has raised more than $200 million over the past 20 years to revitalize the Detroit Riverfront, an investment that's generated more than $2 billion in public and private investment. Nearly 90 percent of the east riverfront is complete, and several parks are in development, including: the Southwest Greenway set to open in May; the Uniroyal Promenade, set to complete the east riverfront when it opens this coming fall; and the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Centennial Park expected to open next year.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/nonpro...ip-raise-funds

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 1:00 AM
Doc Love 3.0

I posted some mostly semi newish pic’s over on the found Detroit page. I plan to edit this and post some here. I’ll have to check and see what kind of updates have been done in the time frame they cover so I’m not just reposting the same/basically same shit. I’m tired hopefully update this tomorrow.

Here’s the link for now - https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...73#post9855073

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 3:30 PM

Henry Ford Health, Tom Gores team up on massive $2.5 billion development in Detroit

Henry Ford Health, Tom Gores team up on massive $2.5 billion development in Detroit

Quote:
Henry Ford Health plans to build a new $1.8 billion hospital in Detroit that will anchor a broad $2.5 billion development vision it is teaming up on with Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and Michigan State University that includes new residential, commercial and possible hotel space.

The projects mark a major move by Henry Ford to transform itself into a destination for health care and a major expansion of private equity billionaire Gores' investment in Detroit. If the full vision materializes, the scale of the redevelopment would rival plans for the $1.5 billion District Detroit and Dan Gilbert’s downtown projects in the re-shaping of an entire section of the city.

The plan to re-envision the neighborhood surrounding the century-old Henry Ford Hospital spans multiple blocks south of West Grand Boulevard on both sides of the John C. Lodge Freeway/M-10. It is being driven by a team-up of the Detroit-based health system, Gores and MSU, among other stakeholders.

The new all-private-room hospital would be over 1 million square feet constructed across West Grand Boulevard from Henry Ford's existing hospital; the existing Health Alliance Plan building at 2850 W. Grand Blvd. would be torn down to clear the way for it, which is expected to be similar in height to the 489-foot Fisher Building two blocks east, representatives from the health system told Crain's.

The new tower will also include a larger emergency department, alleviating congestion in the existing hospital. The legacy hospital will remain in operation but with a smaller clinical footprint. A skywalk and a series of tunnels will connect the new structure and the existing hospital.
Click to expand...Big plans, big partnership
What's included in the vision of a newly announced team-up of Henry Ford
Health, Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and Michigan State University targeting redevelopment of the New Center neighborhood surrounding Henry Ford Hospital.

1. New Henry Ford Hospital tower
2. Henry Ford Detroit Pistons Performance Center
3. Henry Ford Health Center for Athletic Medicine
4. One Ford Place Lofts (repurposed mixed-use residential)
5. Mixed use residential and retail
6. Parking structure
7. Henry Ford Health/Michigan State University Research Facility
Source: Henry Ford Health/Detroit Pistons

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:39 PM
Detroiter4life

This is huge for New Center, between this and the new Amtrak station MDOT is planning, New Center will have a totally different vibe by the end of the decade.
Another project was announced today as well for New Center. The historic Cadillac Assembly plant will be turned into 90 residential units.

New owner of historic former Cadillac Assembly Plant eyes $27 million residential conversion

Quote:
A Detroit-based real estate firm is attempting to turn a historic TechTown neighborhood building into new apartments in a $27 million redevelopment.
Greatwater Opportunity Capital LLC purchased the former Cadillac Assembly Plant building at 450 Amsterdam St. between Cass and Second avenues for $3.35 million in April and is proposing to convert it into 90 rental units.The company is seeking Historic District Commission approval Wednesday to remove some parts of the building that were constructed long after it was built in 1905 and not deemed historic, as well as replace windows with contemporary but historically accurate ones.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ed-residential

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 4:34 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Highground View Post
I posted some mostly semi newish pic’s over on the found Detroit page. I plan to edit this and post some here. I’ll have to check and see what kind of updates have been done in the time frame they cover so I’m not just reposting the same/basically same shit. I’m tired hopefully update this tomorrow.

Here’s the link for now - https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...73#post9855073
I, for one, did not even know that thread existed. So thanks for mentioning it here!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 10:34 PM
Detroiter4life

The brownfield authority approved subsidies for District Detroit. I don't think the vote at city council will go smoothly as more people, and rightfully so, are questioning why the Illitches need all these tax breaks when they have failed to deliver on some many of their promises.
$1.5B District Detroit buildout snags a key vote
Quote:
Public development incentives for the proposed $1.5 billion District Detroit buildout won a key approval Wednesday night and can now head to Detroit City Council for a possible vote next month.

Members of the quasi-public Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority voted 5-2 in favor of a so-called "Transformational Brownfield" plan for the buildout that calls for constructing 10 new buildings or building rehabs with construction starting this summer.

The Transformational Brownfield is a capture of state-level taxes, valued at $616 million over 35 years, of the 10 sites.

The Brownfield Redevelopment Authority is a volunteer board whose members are mostly appointed by Detroit's mayor. If council also approves the incentive, the proposal would then go to the Michigan Strategic Fund for a final vote, potentially in April.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...e/69886675007/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:47 PM
Doc Love 3.0

I was searching for renderings of the HF-MSU-Pistons development and came across something interesting. At first I brushed it aside as a old plan but it was teased in the news conference the city put out. In the future there may be a renovation coming to the main Henry Ford Health campus replacing the parking deck with a high rise.

Seems unlikely in the near term with the a new tower going up across Grand Blvd but it was included in the presentation photos so it maybe we’re getting a peak at the next stage of development. * Looks to me the old deck would be demolished for the new tower and a new deck built north of campus along the Lodge service drive. But no details about use or timeline so just an interesting observation for now. Also possible is that this could have been an original plan that is been put on the back burner after the broader partnership, anyone heard about this?

https://tsoikobus.design/project_hfhs_mp.html

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 9:03 AM
Detroiter4life

Detroit announces 2 affordable apartment projects on vacant land near Midtown

Quote:
The two projects from Bingham Farms-based MHT Housing are projected to cost about $25.5 million and will bring a combined 86 apartment units to the area, 63 of which will be designated "deeply affordable" for those making between 30 and 60 percent of the area median income (AMI) or below, with the remainder for those making 60 to 80 percent AMI.

Income-restricted housing in Detroit uses the broader metropolitan statistical area's AMI of just over $67,000, meaning that units in the developments will be available to those making between roughly $20,000 and $53,000 annually.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...fordable-units

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
I was searching for renderings of the HF-MSU-Pistons development and came across something interesting. At first I brushed it aside as a old plan but it was teased in the news conference the city put out. In the future there may be a renovation coming to the main Henry Ford Health campus replacing the parking deck with a high rise.

Seems unlikely in the near term with the a new tower going up across Grand Blvd but it was included in the presentation photos so it maybe we’re getting a peak at the next stage of development. * Looks to me the old deck would be demolished for the new tower and a new deck built north of campus along the Lodge service drive. But no details about use or timeline so just an interesting observation for now. Also possible is that this could have been an original plan that is been put on the back burner after the broader partnership, anyone heard about this?

The new parking deck was already built:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 4:41 PM

I’m fairly certain those renderings are outdated, and they were probably the plan for the new hospital tower before they decided to build it across the street instead. If you look at one of the photos, the HAP building is still present, and they have some ambiguous small structure across the cancer building instead of the large new hospital tower they’re building.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 3:01 AM
Detroiter4life

Detroit's northwest side to get supportive, affordable housing for young adults, families

Quote:
Chicago-based Full Circle Communities, a nonprofit developer, and Alternatives for Girls are teaming up on a $17.3 million supportive affordable housing development in northwest Detroit.

Scheduled to open in early 2024, the 50,000-square-foot apartment building is being built on long-vacant property at 16711 Burt Road, near Grand River and McNichols avenues.

Full Circle, which also developed a similar development in the city with nonprofit services provider Ruth Ellis Center, purchased the property for the project from the Detroit Land Bank for $175,000.

When complete, the project will include 45 units of affordable and permanent supportive housing designed to address the needs of young adults and families earning 30-to-50 percent of the area median income who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/nonpro...ousing-detroit

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
These are out of date. Tsoi Kobus did the masterplan for HF and it envisioned a new inpatient tower north of the blvd. HDR which won the just announced project envisioned it south of the blvd. Often times architects hired to fulfill the masterplan will reconfigure what a previous masterplan calls for, as its easy to poke holes in someone else's work.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 2:50 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrydy View Post
These are out of date. Tsoi Kobus did the masterplan for HF and it envisioned a new inpatient tower north of the blvd. HDR which won the just announced project envisioned it south of the blvd. Often times architects hired to fulfill the masterplan will reconfigure what a previous masterplan calls for, as its easy to poke holes in someone else's work.
Ok thanks I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the circumstances and what you said clicked into place. There was going to be a change in leadership but the guy stayed on for the project. It’s in a press conference put out by the city I’ll post it. They teased the old project with a pic for about all of 5 seconds so I wasn’t sure if it was for show or they had seriously considered going ahead at some point.

The head was planning to retire and had already announced it to the board then Duggan his old “pal” from the DMC gives him a call. “Hey buddy heard you were retiring, yup that’s the case already told the board. Well Duggan says there’s this incredible project that’s about to be inked your the man to lead it for the greater good stay on. He say I don’t know I already told the board tell you what I’ll talk to them on Monday. HF head (can’t recall his name) walks in to the board room and they say “for the greater good we need you to stay on for this new project”.

It was some corpo humor but they were so jovial even I was chuckling along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgl7lPe4EgQ

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 4:51 AM
Registered Ugly

Sort of random, but can anyone tell me what led to such an incredible rise in population in Melvindale on the 2020 census? After 40 years of declines, the city saw a 20% increase in population between 2010 and 2020. Did the city boundary expand, or was there some major development that occurred or what?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Sort of random, but can anyone tell me what led to such an incredible rise in population in Melvindale on the 2020 census? After 40 years of declines, the city saw a 20% increase in population between 2010 and 2020. Did the city boundary expand, or was there some major development that occurred or what?
I think it is an increase in the Hispanic population and possibly the Hispanic population moving out of Southwest Detroit into the Southwestern suburbs. A lot of cities with a larger immigrant population seem to be increasing population like Dearborn, Hamtramck, Novi, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations