HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 5:30 PM

Building permit was issued for the new wellness/fitness facility on a vacant lot on Division near Sacramento in East Humboldt Park. JGMA is the architect. At 3 floors tall, it'll rise 62 feet to the top. The open land is next to Humboldt Park Health, which I believe this will be part of.

Street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9029...7i16384!8i8192

Rendering via https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/03/cit...oldt-park.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 8:04 PM

CMD proposals

Ran across this today

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...-road-rfp.html

Hopefully something brings some more street activity to this area

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldMcTavish View Post
Ran across this today

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...-road-rfp.html

Hopefully something brings some more street activity to this area
That's great and all, but nearby on Ashland, the urban fabric of this area has been walloped by knocking down the few remaining old warehouses to build new Amazon warehouses and the like. So the IBT proposal would be helpful, but it feels like one step forward after two steps back.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 9:25 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Oh, man. That building is amazing. I've always wondered what was going to happen to it. The apartments are going to be sweet and that corner of Pilsen will contribute a lot more to the community once they are built... which makes me wonder why Sigcho-Lopez didn't kill it. Maybe the developer has compromising pictures of him?
Honestly no idea. When Resurrection Project wanted to build a 40-unit building on Racine that was entirely low-income housing, there were multiple community meetings and the neighbors still accused them of fueling gentrification somehow. For building 100% low-income housing. They just thought the renderings gave off "gentrification vibes". I guess we should go back to building commie-block warehouses for people, right? It needs to look like poor people live there!

In the end they had to cut the unit count and increase the parking. (There's a slightly happy ending - they added a 2nd building a few blocks away for all the housing they deleted from the 1st site.) Both buildings are done now and very handsome additions to the neighborhood.

But 2 years later, an 84-unit loft conversion gets approved with not a single public meeting? There were two similar conversion projects that happened during Danny Solis' term and "the community" gave him endless grief about those.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 4:40 AM

3925 N. Clarendon

New five story building replacing a parking lot, with 18 apartments. Unit breakdown: 4 three bedroom units, 4 two bedroom units, & 7 one bedroom units as well as 3 studios with parking for 2 vehicles and 20 bicycles.

Uptown Update has an article and links to Cappleman's development page which has more info.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2023, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmanman View Post
New five story building replacing a parking lot, with 18 apartments. Unit breakdown: 4 three bedroom units, 4 two bedroom units, & 7 one bedroom units as well as 3 studios with parking for 2 vehicles and 20 bicycles.

Uptown Update has an article and links to Cappleman's development page which has more info.
55 feet tall isn't bad. Although they could have probably doubled the height on this one considering the building next door is probably 100+ feet tall. But I won't complain too much with 5 floors (of course many at 6). Usually 4 is OK, but anything above that at a more mass scale creates a pretty decent wall. A lot of the buildings in East Village in Manhattan for example are 5 floors and a lot don't have super tall ceilings either (i.e. some of the newer 4 story buildings in Chicago could be as tall as those older 5 story buildings). At a decent scale of even a square mile, it creates some pretty high density.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 4:32 AM
TL;DR

Yeah 5 stories in a narrow building like this is pretty unusual in Chicago. It's a nice scale, feels very urban.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 10:55 AM

Lakeview, Uptown, and Roscoe Village have been getting a lot of skinny midrise proposals. Another one is being proposed for the former Dinkel’s Bakery at 3329 N Lincoln Ave. Will be 6 stories, 42 apartments, and only 20 parking spaces: https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...tment-complex/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Lakeview, Uptown, and Roscoe Village have been getting a lot of skinny midrise proposals. Another one is being proposed for the former Dinkel’s Bakery at 3329 N Lincoln Ave. Will be 6 stories, 42 apartments, and only 20 parking spaces: https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...tment-complex/
good to see all the midrise proposals but for Dinkel's is will be 6 stories across 5 lots thus it will have a very different end result than the 5 stories on one lot like the Uptown build. still both a big.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 11:03 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The one that comes to mind is the one next to the Belmont station...

Or the one next to the Montrose Brown Line with Culver's, although that one only looks skinny from the street (tip of the iceberg effect).

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:35 AM

3950 N. Damen

There was an "Open House" at O'Donovan's this evening and then a Zoom presentation for a proposal at 3950 N. Damen.

I went to the open house and listened to the Zoom presentation.

I'd say about 70% in favor of the project from comments I hear and read. A slight division of generation. At the OH, younger folk were saying more density, less parking and they didn't mind the height.

Some had concerns about the scale/height, but that seemed to be in the minority.

There are two variations of this proposal. The shorter (7) story version is also slightly denser.

LJC are the architects.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ nice.

Either iteration will be great to finally kill that stupid parking lot.

Also, I didn't realize that residential conversion and expansion of 3959 N Lincoln was also part of the project (my childhood dentist was in that building, so I've always had a nostalgic soft spot for it. It's a fantastic and classic terra cotta beauty ).

Combined, that will be over 250 new housing units coming to that intersection!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ nice.

Either iteration will be great to finally kill that stupid parking lot.

Also, I didn't realize that residential conversion and expansion of 3959 N Lincoln was also part of the project (my childhood dentist was in that building, so I've always had a nostalgic soft spot for it. It's a fantastic and classic terra cotta beauty ).

Combined, that will be over 250 new housing units coming to that intersection!
I live about two block north of this intersection and have high hopes for this development. There are a few new projects under construction, planned, or about to wrap up right around this intersection for a total of probably 400 new units in the next 1-4 years within a 1/4 mile. Going to do A LOT for a stretch of Lincoln that is relatively sleepy compared to the Lincoln Square to the north.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
There are a few new projects under construction, planned, or about to wrap up right around this intersection for a total of probably 400 new units
damn!

at a 1.5 average occupancy, that's 600 new people living at irving/damen/lincoln.

that should definitely increase activity levels.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 7:08 PM

All-Affordable Apartment Building At Edgewater Streets & San Depot Unveiled With Alderman ‘Deeply Invested’

The proposal calls for redeveloping a Streets and Sanitation depot on Broadway into an 11-story apartment building with all-affordable units.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...eply-invested/

Quote:
EDGEWATER — A development firm has unveiled its proposal for an all-affordable apartment building on a city-owned lot on Broadway — though it needs city leaders to sign off on the plan.

Bickerdike Redevelopment Corporation this week showed neighbors refined plans for its proposed development at 5853 N. Broadway, which houses a Streets and Sanitation depot.

The project would replace the yard with an 11-story building with 90 affordable apartments. The apartments would be comprised of 35 one-bedroom, 40 two-bedroom and 15 three-bedroom units.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:25 PM

^ couldn't miss an opportunity to put colored panels on the affordable housing to distinguish it from other neighbors who are paying full price! God forbid affordable housing could pass as market rate.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
^ couldn't miss an opportunity to put colored panels on the affordable housing to distinguish it from other neighbors who are paying full price! God forbid affordable housing could pass as market rate.
Seems like a slight overreaction to the subtle pop of color. Thank your lucky stars that this tasteful and somewhat interesting design doesn't look like this condo building in my neighborhood in Queens.

https://d2kcmk0r62r1qk.cloudfront.ne...33_l_haus.webp

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jan 26, 2023 at 9:39 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off-topic images

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 10:39 PM

Pops of color within a building scheme can be tasteful, like the Portland example above (which is just painted railings not colored panels), but more often than not they look cheaply done, like the Denver and MPLS examples.

Chicago has a few examples of tacky colored panels on market rate housing (see 160 N Elizabeth), but the affordable developments are often over-the-top. From an optimist's POV, they add a splash of color to a cheap building. From a realist's POV, it's easier to get local support for an affordable development if the building is obviously cheaper-looking than the neighbors' full-priced homes, even if it means their neighborhood looks tackier.

This isn't to say every building should be expensive masonry or uniformly designed. It's just many of these developments feel like they're rounding third base with a solid building design and then decide to add colored panels to dumb it down. On the bright side, they're relatively easy to paint/replace.

Imagine if the Emmett Street Apartments in Logan used bronze and/or black accent panels and matching paint for the doors. It'd look 10x better for a marginal cost bump.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development