HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
The City of Vancouver has 269 priority snow removal routes. 16 are bike lanes and 7 are pedestrian pathways. Surely 91% of priority routes is enough for drivers?

Also, can you describe what plow was used? Was it a full-sized vehicle that would even be appropriate for vehicle lane use? My understanding is that the City uses miniature plows to clear bike lanes and pedestrian paths.
Yes, plus unless we have proof that full-sized road plows are sitting idle in favour of bike and pedestrian lanes, "there's no story here". I would guess that the crews trained to operate the large plows are separate from those tasked with maintaining the smaller paths.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:06 PM

Downtown Vancouver, Dec.20 '22, my pics

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
The City of Vancouver has 269 priority snow removal routes. 16 are bike lanes and 7 are pedestrian pathways. Surely 91% of priority routes is enough for drivers?

Also, can you describe what plow was used? Was it a full-sized vehicle that would even be appropriate for vehicle lane use? My understanding is that the City uses miniature plows to clear bike lanes and pedestrian paths.
Only 7 pedestrian routes? Let’s be real, there were a heck of a lot more pedestrians out today than cyclists.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:12 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Only 7 pedestrian routes? Let’s be real, there were a heck of a lot more pedestrians out today than cyclists.
Sure, but a lot of pedestrian routes are sidewalks that private property owners are tasked with clearing. The bike lanes are part of the roadway so if the city doesn't clear them no one else will.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 11:21 PM

Yesterday and today only one sighting of a bike path plow Southbound on Burrard St. 10:14 pm Dec 19th
In past snowfalls they'd be zinging back and forth all night for the cyclists morning commute, they gave up on this snow event.
I remember reading in this thread (or cycling thread) that the roadway and bike path where maintained by different contractors.

https://makeagif.com/i/fcBzXF

As of right now, the bike path are still untouched, they might go at it tonight for the morning commute.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Sure, but a lot of pedestrian routes are sidewalks that private property owners are tasked with clearing. The bike lanes are part of the roadway so if the city doesn't clear them no one else will.
The only problem with that is too many property owners don’t clear their sidewalks in a timely manner, even downtown in busy areas. I had a friend take a tumble today on Seymour where one of those metal vent covers (Canada Line?) wasn’t cleared and visible. Better to have the city ensure all major walks are cleared and roads cleared for transit routes to ensure the most used options are viable. The base of hardcore cyclists who are going to try and bike on a day like today is exceedingly small by comparison.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 1:16 AM

Quote:
The only problem with that is too many property owners don’t clear their sidewalks in a timely manner, even downtown in busy areas. I had a friend take a tumble today on Seymour where one of those metal vent covers (Canada Line?) wasn’t cleared and visible. Better to have the city ensure all major walks are cleared and roads cleared for transit routes to ensure the most used options are viable. The base of hardcore cyclists who are going to try and bike on a day like today is exceedingly small by comparison.
Don't those vents act as a relief air for the tunnels/station? I'm surprised they weren't cleared off by TransLink.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:14 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Here's some video I shot from the aftermath of last night's snow storm.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:42 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Well you can't use those mini plows on sidewalks. Too many parking meters, lampposts, curb cuts, traffic signs, bollards, bus shelters, seams between concrete pads, etc.

I suppose you want the city to mobilize a force of dozens of snow shovel-touting strongmen to plow all of the city's sidewalks? Better, IMO, that the city actually fine property owners for not clearing their sidewalks then to have mass layoffs of the shovelers on the other 356 days per year when there isn't snow.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Yesterday and today only one sighting of a bike path plow Southbound on Burrard St. 10:14 pm Dec 19th
In past snowfalls they'd be zinging back and forth all night for the cyclists morning commute, they gave up on this snow event.
I remember reading in this thread (or cycling thread) that the roadway and bike path where maintained by different contractors.

As of right now, the bike path are still untouched, they might go at it tonight for the morning commute.
Maybe this guy will show up.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Maybe this guy will show up.
Ha ha! That works well, where can I get one for my car

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
I am of course just joking, but I love how it sounds like there is this massive morning rush about to start on our bikeways and it is going to be a congested mess! I hope Trish Jewison and Global 1 chopper will be all over to cover it!!

In reality, everything will be fine with a dozen winter cyclists being inconvenienced.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:00 PM

I went out last night and was surprised at the poor condition of major routes in the city. Both Oak and Granville had major snow covered sections. It was impossible to see the lines on the road. Given that the roads were empty it would have been a perfect time for the plows to have been out. I get that crews had probably been working long hours but several busses were stuck though others were getting through.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 5:42 PM

ABC has a chance to show them not being a continuation of previous mismanagement at all levels, but it is not of to a good start. This video of driving from Burnaby into Vancouver was making rounds on Reddit yesterday for the night and day difference of major road upkeeping.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 11:41 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am of course just joking, but I love how it sounds like there is this massive morning rush about to start on our bikeways and it is going to be a congested mess! I hope Trish Jewison and Global 1 chopper will be all over to cover it!!

In reality, everything will be fine with a dozen winter cyclists being inconvenienced.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but the streets aren't packed with cars either. Fewer than 10 people worked on my floor yesterday when there is typically 30 - 40 (and most of them drive).

The city needs to do a better job at clearing roadways but I hardly think plowing 16 bike lanes is the reason most streets haven't been plowed yet.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
ABC has a chance to show them not being a continuation of previous mismanagement at all levels, but it is not of to a good start. This video of driving from Burnaby into Vancouver was making rounds on Reddit yesterday for the night and day difference of major road upkeeping.

Video Link
I commuted that way to and from work today and was quite shocked how bad the Vancouver side was, all the streets i used in Vancouver were really bad. Burnaby definately seems to do a better job, I can't comment on the lesser roads as i never used any.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I commuted that way to and from work today and was quite shocked how bad the Vancouver side was, all the streets i used in Vancouver were really bad. Burnaby definately seems to do a better job, I can't comment on the lesser roads as i never used any.
If you go to the City of Vancouver's webpage it talks about snow "treatment" not "removal".
I think there's a serious policy flaw in their operational plan.

Note on the map that Burrard Bridge and Cambie Bridge are NOT priority routes:

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...y-streets.aspx

Quote:
We have over 100 vehicles and equipment for snow and ice treatment along with 3000 tonnes of salt at our yards, and hundreds of personnel available to deploy as required.

Our priority locations for snow and ice treatment are:

Major roads
Bus routes
Emergency access routes (including five major hospitals and two health care facilities)
Bridges and viaducts (roads, sidewalks, and staircases)
School routes
Four key pedestrian pathways
False Creek Seawall (from Burrard Bridge south side to north side)*
Coal Harbour Seawall (from Burrard St to Alberni St)
Arbutus Greenway
Central Valley Greenway*
*Sections of these routes are adjacent to private property and are cleared by the property owner as per the Street and Traffic By-law

16 most-used bike routes
Arterial bus stops and corner ramps

The following are not included in our snow response:

Residential side streets (excluding locations on priority routes)
Sidewalks adjacent to non-City owned property
Laneways (unless required for City collection operations)
We'll treat locations as resources allow to reduce further impact.

The Vancouver Park Board’s snow and ice control schedule ensures major park access roads, primary parking areas, and perimeter and direct internal park pathways in the downtown area are maintained.
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...y-streets.aspx

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
The less road you have to maintain the easier it is. SFU roads were surprisingly in pretty good shape considering it's on a mountain.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:05 AM

Burnaby must be spraying some sort of snow/ice melt solution. Vancouver roads are ploughed fine and perfectly drivable once the snowfall has stopped and ploughed.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 6:26 AM

I thought this was suppose to be a La Niña year. It shaping up to be one of the snowiest winters we've had in a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion