HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I've been refreshing Twitter throughout the day to see who's filling petitions. Lightfoot filled over 40k signatures. There are still no fillings for Chuy or Sawyer, so unless they're submitting at the very last minute they may not run for mayor.

Also Ed Burke still hasn't submitted petitions for the 14th ward, so he may be out
Sawyer finally submitting his petitions, won't say how many he has. Judging from photos, if Lightfoot's stack is over 40k signatures, then Sawyer is submitting much less than half of that

Update: Chuy submits over 47k signatures

Thread: https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/s...37768190513153

Last edited by Randomguy34; Nov 28, 2022 at 10:38 PM. Reason: added quote response

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 1:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post

Also Ed Burke still hasn't submitted petitions for the 14th ward, so he may be out
HE GONE!!!

so long, scumbag.

if only he had retired 14 terms earlier.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 2:00 PM
BANNED

I have a scary feeling Lightfoot has a good chance of being reelected....it's like everybody hates her vocally, but somehow there will be thousands who will still vote for her

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
I have a scary feeling Lightfoot has a good chance of being reelected....it's like everybody hates her vocally, but somehow there will be thousands who will still vote for her
I'm planning to vote for her. What's the alternative? Paul Vallas? Seems like a competent guy who knows how the city government works, but I don't think he has a chance to win. Chuy Garcia? The more I hear him talk the less I like him--he seems to be anti-development, anti-bus lane, anti-transit and anti-red light camera. And he ate shit in front of God and everyone by signing that letter asking Biden to stop supporting Ukraine. I'm worried he would be like Byron Sigcho Lopez, but for the whole city.

After that, there's like eight or nine chuckleheads who may or may not be great people. I've met two from that group and they seem like they would be fine realtors or principals, but I don't have any reason to believe they could, say, take a city delegation to Paris; know who to call if the CME was threatening to move to Dublin; understand all of the angles that various competing power factions are eyballing when *anything* comes up for discussion. After four years in office Lightfoot should at least know where all the levers and knobs are that she can fiddle with to get things done. So I'd like to see if she can do anything positive now that she's had a few years of practice.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
I'm planning to vote for her. What's the alternative? Paul Vallas? Seems like a competent guy who knows how the city government works, but I don't think he has a chance to win. Chuy Garcia? The more I hear him talk the less I like him--he seems to be anti-development, anti-bus lane, anti-transit and anti-red light camera. And he ate shit in front of God and everyone by signing that letter asking Biden to stop supporting Ukraine. I'm worried he would be like Byron Sigcho Lopez, but for the whole city.

After that, there's like eight or nine chuckleheads who may or may not be great people. I've met two from that group and they seem like they would be fine realtors or principals, but I don't have any reason to believe they could, say, take a city delegation to Paris; know who to call if the CME was threatening to move to Dublin; understand all of the angles that various competing power factions are eyballing when *anything* comes up for discussion. After four years in office Lightfoot should at least know where all the levers and knobs are that she can fiddle with to get things done. So I'd like to see if she can do anything positive now that she's had a few years of practice.
Pretty much exactly where I stand... begrudgingly voting for Lightfoot... maybe.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:46 PM
BANNED

I agree Paul Vallas is the best chance for the city to get back on track, but sadly I just dont see voters here choosing a more centrist/conservative white guy these days as mayor. Also Kam Buckner seems decent, pro development, pro transit, pro hard on crime it seems atleast. Chuy sucks I agree, he seems like all those other lunatic leftists who blasts and developments or improvements as "gEnTrIfiCaTiOn" and didn't he oppose the Ashland BRT project? pass.

I just want the city to move on from Lightfoot, but not someone worse.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 11:22 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

From what I’ve heard, I’m leaning toward Kam Buckner. Would love to have a pro-transit, pro-bike mayor who grew up in Chicago and has some experience in local politics.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 11:27 PM

Still on the fence for who I'm voting, definitely not Paul Vallas though. It's worth noting that both Kam & Brandon are the only ones who've been talking about improving transit in the city. Not surprising since they're both avid cyclists and have spent time in office pushing Metra to lower fares on the MED and implement transfers with the CTA.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:33 AM

Kam really need to raise a lot of money for his campaign to increase his visibility to Chicagoans and to last as long as Lori and Chuy will in this election. I am rooting hard for him.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:57 PM

Vallas is the best choice. I liked Lopez too, but he obviously dropped out.

Almost every other candidate absolutely sucks. I will vote for Lightfoot in a runoff against any candidate than Vallas though.

Wilson would be better than most of them too.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:
I agree Paul Vallas is the best chance for the city to get back on track, but sadly I just dont see voters here choosing a more centrist/conservative white guy these days as mayor. Also Kam Buckner seems decent, pro development, pro transit, pro hard on crime it seems atleast. Chuy sucks I agree, he seems like all those other lunatic leftists who blasts and developments or improvements as "gEnTrIfiCaTiOn" and didn't he oppose the Ashland BRT project? pass.

I just want the city to move on from Lightfoot, but not someone worse.
Is Kam Buckner pro development? I don't know much about him, but he was out yesterday in Uptown supporting the protest against the new apartment tower being built on the Weiss Hospital parking lot...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Is Kam Buckner pro development? I don't know much about him, but he was out yesterday in Uptown supporting the protest against the new apartment tower being built on the Weiss Hospital parking lot...
I think you have your answer there. Protesting a new building in what was parking lot does not seem very pro development.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:26 AM
BANNED

https://twitter.com/GregHinz/status/...o5Ey60tW9yw3JA

Paul Vallas is the best candidate so far and its not close. Praying Chicago pulls a New York and elects the hard on crime candidate, but knowing how brain dead most residents in this city are, they'll vote for Chuy (Lightfoot 2.0). Also hilarious to see urbanists support him, he was against Ashland BRT and will pander to the anti development anti gentrification folks.

In New York crime is down in every borough. Cops are flooded in the subway. Plus Adams just started a program pulling vagrants off the streets. It made all the progressives mad but its the right choice. A city of almost 10 million has far less homicides than a city of 2.7 million. Clearly they're doing something right. Meanwhile we're gonna hit 700 homicides for the 3rd year in a row. 40 robberies straight on the northside in the last week alone. A complete break down of law and order in this city. Half the shit criminals do here wouldn't be allowed in New York because you see a cop on every corner in that city. This is what Vallas wants to bring to Chicago.

One of the dumbest things this city has done were to hire those useless CTA guards. Why the fuck doesn't the 3rd largest city in America have a dedicated transit police unit? Meanwhile NY, LA, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, etc. all do? Vallas say he wants to hire 700 officers for a CTA unit. Genius common sense solution. When riders feel safe and aren't getting attacked, robbed, etc. on a daily basis, ridership will strike back up (along with getting delays in order).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 1:29 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
https://twitter.com/GregHinz/status/...o5Ey60tW9yw3JA

Paul Vallas is the best candidate so far and its not close. Praying Chicago pulls a New York and elects the hard on crime candidate, but knowing how brain dead most residents in this city are, they'll vote for Chuy (Lightfoot 2.0). Also hilarious to see urbanists support him, he was against Ashland BRT and will pander to the anti development anti gentrification folks.

In New York crime is down in every borough. Cops are flooded in the subway. Plus Adams just started a program pulling vagrants off the streets. It made all the progressives mad but its the right choice. A city of almost 10 million has far less homicides than a city of 2.7 million. Clearly they're doing something right. Meanwhile we're gonna hit 700 homicides for the 3rd year in a row. 40 robberies straight on the northside in the last week alone. A complete break down of law and order in this city. Half the shit criminals do here wouldn't be allowed in New York because you see a cop on every corner in that city. This is what Vallas wants to bring to Chicago.

One of the dumbest things this city has done were to hire those useless CTA guards. Why the fuck doesn't the 3rd largest city in America have a dedicated transit police unit? Meanwhile NY, LA, Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, etc. all do? Vallas say he wants to hire 700 officers for a CTA unit. Genius common sense solution. When riders feel safe and aren't getting attacked, robbed, etc. on a daily basis, ridership will strike back up (along with getting delays in order).
I agree with you completely that we need to have a dedicated transit police division for CPD. I also agree that CPD is basically useless at this point. That being said, I don't think I'm the only one who's sick and tired of your constant barrage of incendiary bullshit, hyperbole and city vs city comparisons!

Obviously there are major issues here, but we don't have a complete breakdown of law and order. What we have is, especially concerning the recent robberies in the NW side, a roving gang of thugs who need to be arrested and locked up for years. Question is, will CPD ever find them? Do they care? Instead of blaming the mayor, how about we start focusing on issues with our damned police leadership?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I agree with you completely that we need to have a dedicated transit police division for CPD. I also agree that CPD is basically useless at this point. That being said, I don't think I'm the only one who's sick and tired of your constant barrage of incendiary bullshit, hyperbole and city vs city comparisons!

Obviously there are major issues here, but we don't have a complete breakdown of law and order. What we have is, especially concerning the recent robberies in the NW side, a roving gang of thugs who need to be arrested and locked up for years. Question is, will CPD ever find them? Do they care? Instead of blaming the mayor, how about we start focusing on issues with our damned police leadership?

Aaron (Glowrock)
The Mayor is in charge. Her hand picked police chief is a disaster. And what about Kim Foxx and her catch and release of criminals in the name of "social justice"? The city needs a real leader, not more leftist bullshit.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:

Aaron (Glowrock)
EDIT: Exactly what Vlajos said

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:21 PM

But what leaders have been so great with crime here?

I think Lori and Kim needs to stop pandering the SJWs that don't live here, but we need to address parts everyone plays (especially the CPD) in the bad blood amongst the each other.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Aaron (Glowrock)
I don't see the problem with comparing stats with our peer cities. None of our world class peer cities has the crime reputation we do. Chicago literally has more homicides than LA and New York combined, why? Complete embarrassment. And lol at thinking there's law and order in this city. Go look at the scanner accounts on Twitter, this city is basically Gotham at this point. Criminals in Chicago have ZERO fear of leadership or police. Throwing bricks at them, laughing at them on video, taking them on high speed chases, etc.

And yes Lightfoot has major blame to take. She has been and absolute disaster and the day she is kicked out of office and (hopefully) replaced by Vallas, who wants to return law and order to our streets will be the day Chicago slowly starts gaining back a good reputation. Get cops out of cars and get them patrolling blocks, get CPD on every station, utilize broken windows policing, etc. Look up Chicago on google, all you see is crime. Ask anybody about what they think about Chicago first thing they'll probably think of is crime. Atleast Rahm/Daley kept the northside and downtown squeaky clean. Now with Lighfoot, the savages are destroying our downtown and "safe" neighborhoods.

And what hyperbole? Chicago is absolutely crime ridden. The only people who say otherwise are brain dead leftist who think opening up community centers and opening jails will decrease crime LOL. They love saying "But Chicago has less crime than Detroit and Baltimore and St Louis!" Um okay? Why are you comparing a world class city to those shitty rust belt dumps? Compare Chicago to NY, LA, Boston, SF, DC, Miami, Seattle, Phoenix, Atlanta, etc. The only large city I'd say is worse is Philly. I love this city but its the truth. Vallas has my vote. Crime and public safety is BY FAR the number 1 issue with voters this election.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 4:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMIchael View Post
But what leaders have been so great with crime here?

I think Lori and Kim needs to stop pandering the SJWs that don't live here, but we need to address parts everyone plays (especially the CPD) in the bad blood amongst the each other.
100% agree. Crime was at decades low with Rahm in office. He wasn't perfect, but he was the centrist, law and order democrat Chicago needed. Which I think Vallas can be the continuation of that. Progressives hated Rahm because he refused to bend over to their wing of the democrat party. CPD needs to stop being handcuffed and be able to do their job efficiently. Definitely need a new police chief. No more leaders who pander to woke white liberals who say dumb shit like "defund the police" meanwhile they live in safe neighborhoods LOL. It's funny cause when the protestors came to Englewood shouting that BS, the Englewood residents told them to GTFO. It's like the people residing in these dangerous neighborhoods want proactive policing that keeps crime low

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Mayor is in charge. Her hand picked police chief is a disaster. And what about Kim Foxx and her catch and release of criminals in the name of "social justice"? The city needs a real leader, not more leftist bullshit.
LL has plenty to criticize but she is not in charge of the SA office and has been very critical of Foxx.

Buckner has detailed plans for addressing crime and ineffectual CPD leadership, while also touting progressive plans for transit. Chicago won't grow unless we make the city safer and easier to get around.

Vallas has certainly mastered all of the reactionary talking points, but he has so clearly taken a hard turn to the right and adopted so many nonsense scare tactics that its hard to take him seriously.

Mayor of a major city is a job for a pragmatist, not an ideologue. After he loses, Vallas will settle in nicely as a monthly guest on Fox News bloviating about Chicago's imaginary descent into a post-apocalyptic hell-scape.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest