HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Strategic detour around the DTES I see.
Hey, they started it!

Honestly not sure if Clark and Hastings would be worth ignoring Venables/North Commercial. The former is too close to the port to reasonably urbanize, while the latter has the makings of an actual streetfront.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 11:49 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Honestly not sure if Clark and Hastings would be worth ignoring Venables/North Commercial. The former is too close to the port to reasonably urbanize, while the latter has the makings of an actual streetfront.
There needs to be some sort of stop on Commercial - Commercial/Victoria is readymade for a rapid bus forming an easy transfer from Commercial Broadway to the Hastings line - and it would make far more sense to have that stop in the middle of the Grandview/Woodland residential neighborhood instead of in the middle of autobody shops and other industrial uses.

But it would be a mistake IMO to have no stop near the confluence of Chinatown, Gastown, and the DTES. Maybe a station at Cardova/Carrall before dipping south to St. Paul's? That's not a lot of space between stations, but I imagine the residential density and traffic to Gastown would justify it?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:04 AM

I vote for Abbott/Hastings (if possible) - Water Street, Blood Alley and Tinseltown are fairly active parts of the downtown core.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:05 AM

Is Main Street-Science World not enough of a Skytrain Station for the new St. Paul's? I'm not quite convinced the hospital needs two stations.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:22 AM

I think the intent here is to cut downtown out of the commute entirely and just be able to reach NEFC + St Paul's via Hastings alone.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Strategic detour around the DTES I see.
Seems if you want development around the stations it would make more sense to build the line south of Hastings. Seems better than running a line down Hastings and having no station at Main

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems if you want development around the stations it would make more sense to build the line south of Hastings. Seems better than running a line down Hastings and having no station at Main
I don't disagree, just pointing out the fact that the route on a map would look like someone trying to avoid the DTES.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 7:25 PM

Extend 403 north to terminate at Marine Drive station, thus allowing a 1 zone trip from Richmond to Vancouver, or from Ladner to Vancouver

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 7:06 AM

Bus stop on Highway 99 as part of a future infrastructure upgrade serving captains cove

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 9:23 PM

Extend the trolleywires to Steveston via OSB, Sea Island Way, and Great Canadian Way to loop around Bridgeport Station, then head back down Great Canadian Way and Garden City Road, then Granville Ave, Railway Ave, Moncton St, No. 1 Rd, then terminate and loop around at a new and improved Steveston Exchange.

This, of course, includes additional trolleybuses.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Extend the trolleywires to Steveston via OSB, Sea Island Way, and Great Canadian Way to loop around Bridgeport Station, then head back down Great Canadian Way and Garden City Road, then Granville Ave, Railway Ave, Moncton St, No. 1 Rd, then terminate and loop around at a new and improved Steveston Exchange.

This, of course, includes additional trolleybuses.
What would the advantage be over the intended battery electric buses that Translink are now ordering (so far Nova LFSe+)?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
What would the advantage be over the intended battery electric buses that Translink are now ordering (so far Nova LFSe+)?
Those busses aren't artics yet. Also since it parallels a former streetcar line, you could stylize the stops to look like streetcar stops.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Those busses aren't artics yet. Also since it parallels a former streetcar line, you could stylize the stops to look like streetcar stops.
There are articulated battery electric buses. They have been operating in New York for the past three years. As the entire Translink fleet is going to electric over the next few years, they'll be replacing the arctics and double deckers with battery electric buses. The design of the stops could still be like a streetcar stop, but the overhead wires would be a significant extra expense. (I realize we're in the fantasy thread, so cost isn't a big deal).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
There are articulated battery electric buses. They have been operating in New York for the past three years. As the entire Translink fleet is going to electric over the next few years, they'll be replacing the arctics and double deckers with battery electric buses. The design of the stops could still be like a streetcar stop, but the overhead wires would be a significant extra expense. (I realize we're in the fantasy thread, so cost isn't a big deal).
The wires would serve as permanence though as well as tying into the streetcar style

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 8:57 AM

Quote:
The wires would serve as permanence though as well as tying into the streetcar style
I appreciate what you're saying, but when you mention "the streetcar style," I am unsure exactly what you mean. Is it part of a future streetcar system in Vancouver,
or is just the effect of the overhead wires giving the impression of streetcars, in effect? Sorry to sound so badly informed, but your answer interested me and I wanted to know about it better.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:48 AM

Turn the 410 into a skytrain line connecting Richmond Brighouse and 22nd Street stations. Double-track the section between Lansdowne and Brighouse with a flyover, straddle over Westminster Highway and then diagionally through the Garden City Lands, with a station roughed in for whatever development will be there in the future, then along Alderbridge way and then Highway 91 with a station serving Queensborough and then connecting with the rest of the skytrain at 22nd Street. This will also include converting the Canada Line to Skytrain standards and technology.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Turn the 410 into a skytrain line connecting Richmond Brighouse and 22nd Street stations. Double-track the section between Lansdowne and Brighouse with a flyover, straddle over Westminster Highway and then diagionally through the Garden City Lands, with a station roughed in for whatever development will be there in the future, then along Alderbridge way and then Highway 91 with a station serving Queensborough and then connecting with the rest of the skytrain at 22nd Street. This will also include converting the Canada Line to Skytrain standards and technology.
I'd argue for turning it into a true BRT route with separated lanes instead of Skytrain - that way you get most of the benefits for a fraction of the price. I suspect we'll see a lot more BRT lines compared to Skytrain lines in the future.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'd argue for turning it into a true BRT route with separated lanes instead of Skytrain - that way you get most of the benefits for a fraction of the price. I suspect we'll see a lot more BRT lines compared to Skytrain lines in the future.
RapidBus first with bus lanes on 91

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 7:37 AM

Question: wouldn't it be just as easy to catch the future Brighouse-Metrotown RapidBus and go from there?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Question: wouldn't it be just as easy to catch the future Brighouse-Metrotown RapidBus and go from there?
Yeah but you can take advantage of the highway instead of going through surface streets

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure