HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Huh?

Philadelphia has a weak-mayor form of government, particularly in comparison to other big cities. What little power the mayor does have is further weakend by the state.

If anything, I'd say Council's power is larger in Philly compared to other jurisdictions.
Completely agree. In fact, considering how powerful Councilmanic prerogative is, I think it's pretty easy to make the argument that not only is the totality of city council obviously more powerful than the mayor, but also that each City Council member has greater control over their own district than the mayor.

Mayor is a more prestigious job. You're able to make press and set an agenda in a way you can't as a council member. If you have greater political ambitions, it's better job to have on your resume. But in terms of pure power it's hard to argue any of these retiring council members would wield significantly greater power as mayor. Maybe it's more of an upgrade for at large members like Domb, but still.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:50 PM

^ All I know is many of these candidates are no bueno. After 4 years of Kenny, we cannot afford another dud.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^ All I know is many of these candidates are no bueno. After 4 years of Kenny, we cannot afford another dud.
Rhynheart, Domb, or Green would be preferable.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Completely agree. In fact, considering how powerful Councilmanic prerogative is, I think it's pretty easy to make the argument that not only is the totality of city council obviously more powerful than the mayor, but also that each City Council member has greater control over their own district than the mayor.

Mayor is a more prestigious job. You're able to make press and set an agenda in a way you can't as a council member. If you have greater political ambitions, it's better job to have on your resume. But in terms of pure power it's hard to argue any of these retiring council members would wield significantly greater power as mayor. Maybe it's more of an upgrade for at large members like Domb, but still.
Agree with this except the bold part. Pennsylvanians dislike Philadelphia and for the mayor of this town to become governor (or any other statewide office) is anathema, particularly for rural voters (and I get they vote mostly Republican but you need to carry some of these voters). More substantially, the policies and political stances needed to be elected mayor of Philly stands stands in stark contrast with what's needed to win a PA general election. Of course, if someone cut from the Rendell cloth (like Domb or Brown) can become mayor and govern as a centrist, show that they're tough on crime (this is the most challenging thing for big city mayors), and improve the business climate, those are accomplishments that can carry over into a successful statewide election. But again, those stances likely won't help a candidate move past the mayoral primary. It's a bit of catch-22 although Philly isn't a special case here. Lots of big city mayors don't go on to do anything else for those same reasons (but keep an eye out for Eric Adams).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
This is a rather pessimistic view.

This the best prospective class of candidates we've had in decades.

People begged Kenney to run because there were few other alternatives (T Milton Street, rip).

We lucked out with Nutter. He was by no means a shoe-in. Further, in that cycle, he was the only good candidate.

We have 3, arguably 4 people that would be fantastic mayors. I'm just hoping that some fluke doesn't bring the weaker candidates to the front of the pack.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Of course, if someone cut from the Rendell cloth (like Domb or Brown) can become mayor and govern as a centrist, show that they're tough on crime (this is the most challenging thing for big city mayors), and improve the business climate, those are accomplishments that can carry over into a successful statewide election.
I'm personally hoping for Rhynhart or Green.

It's time for generational change. No more old people in politics.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
This is a rather pessimistic view.

This the best prospective class of candidates we've had in decades.

People begged Kenney to run because there were few other alternatives (T Milton Street, rip).

We lucked out with Nutter. He was by no means a shoe-in. Further, in that cycle, he was the only good candidate.

We have 3, arguably 4 people that would be fantastic mayors. I'm just hoping that some fluke doesn't bring the weaker candidates to the front of the pack.
There are 2 candidates that are or may run I’m very excited about. All the others would be absolute disasters. Calling it like it is.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 11:24 PM
Philly Rising Up!

hopefully it's a 2 to 1 favorite on Rhynhart. Looks like she could actually shake things up. If so, Philly will have a moment and a turning point in its history.

Good write-up here:
https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/r...-philadelphia/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
hopefully it's a 2 to 1 favorite on Rhynhart. Looks like she could actually shake things up. If so, Philly will have a moment and a turning point in its history.

Good write-up here:
https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/r...-philadelphia/
She’s my top pick by a long shot for exactly the reason you say: I think she’d shake things up and fix/reform a lot of departments. She’s proven to be independent-minded and pragmatic. Many of the people running are ideologues and I’m concerned they’d implement policies more on polling or hardline party stances rather than truly what’s needed to fix the issues.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Agree with this except the bold part. Pennsylvanians dislike Philadelphia and for the mayor of this town to become governor (or any other statewide office) is anathema, particularly for rural voters (and I get they vote mostly Republican but you need to carry some of these voters). More substantially, the policies and political stances needed to be elected mayor of Philly stands stands in stark contrast with what's needed to win a PA general election. Of course, if someone cut from the Rendell cloth (like Domb or Brown) can become mayor and govern as a centrist, show that they're tough on crime (this is the most challenging thing for big city mayors), and improve the business climate, those are accomplishments that can carry over into a successful statewide election. But again, those stances likely won't help a candidate move past the mayoral primary. It's a bit of catch-22 although Philly isn't a special case here. Lots of big city mayors don't go on to do anything else for those same reasons (but keep an eye out for Eric Adams).
Just because most mayors don't go on to hold higher offices, doesn't mean what I said isn't true. Becoming mayor elevates your profile and name recognition. In the past few decades only Rendell went on to a higher office. But what higher offices have former city council members gone on to hold when they didn't first go on to become mayor?

It's not a sure thing obviously, but a former mayor of Philadelphia has a much greater chance of being elected a governor or a senator than a former city council member.

Also you think Eric Adams is going to go on to greater success? He's been terrible. An absolute disaster with approval ratings in the 20s. Why exactly is he someone to keep an eye on? Or is a draconian and ineffective stance on crime issues the only thing you look for in a candidate?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:21 PM

Also, can we cut it out with the narrative that the entire state is anti-Philadelphia? Those days are over.

At this point, our suburbs (including Chester County) are for the most part walking lock step in line with the city. For god's sake, we just flipped the PA State House. Most of our suburbs are solidly blue at this point (thanks, National RNC).

The Lehigh Valley is it's own node of progressivism. Allegheny County is what is it. The Harrisburg area continues to lean left, etc.

The only places that are solidly anti-Philly are completely irrelevant. And with the continuing population shifts to the south and east in the state, they will continue to become more and more irrelevant.

Every new (state) house district that was created before this cycle went blue. That's because all of the population growth in this state is in areas that are relatively more progressive than the balance of the state. That evolution will continue until the Republican Party changes its tune at the national level.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Also, can we cut it out with the narrative that the entire state is anti-Philadelphia? Those days are over.

At this point, our suburbs (including Chester County) are for the most part walking lock step in line with the city. For god's sake, we just flipped the PA State House. Most of our suburbs are solidly blue at this point (thanks, National RNC).

The Lehigh Valley is it's own node of progressivism. Allegheny County is what is it. The Harrisburg area continues to lean left, etc.

The only places that are solidly anti-Philly are completely irrelevant. And with the continuing population shifts to the south and east in the state, they will continue to become more and more irrelevant.

Every new (state) house district that was created before this cycle went blue. That's because all of the population growth in this state is in areas that are relatively more progressive than the balance of the state. That evolution will continue until the Republican Party changes its tune at the national level.
Also, my number 1 and number 2 wishes for Shapiro and the new state house are:

1. Increase the minimum wage (to at least $12 an hour). Ideally it would be $15 but I can imagine state Republicans would push back and realistically it will probably land at $12. More than anything else, an increase in minimum wage will help alleviate Philly's poverty and crime issues.
2. Modify the uniformity clause to allow commercial and residential properties to be taxed at different rates.

What's yours?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:48 PM

For me, I'll take anyone but Gym.

Unfortunately, I bet she's the front-runner, if Krasner's landslide re-election is any indication, which I'm not sure of given the anemic turnout.

I hope I'm wrong.

(cue the "you're wrong" comments)

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 3:55 PM

dupe

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:07 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by skyhigh07; Dec 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
For me, I'll take anyone but Gym.

Unfortunately, I bet she's the front-runner, if Krasner's landslide re-election is any indication, which I'm not sure of given the anemic turnout.

I hope I'm wrong.

(cue the "you're wrong" comments)
I think she’ll poll relatively well. However, given the crowded and competitive primary field, this race could break down a lot of different ways. Krasner only had Vega to go up against in the primary.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Dec 1, 2022 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
1. Increase the minimum wage (to at least $12 an hour). Ideally it would be $15 but I can imagine state Republicans would push back and realistically it will probably land at $12. More than anything else, an increase in minimum wage will help alleviate Philly's poverty and crime issues.
Raising the minimum wage does nothing to alleviate poverty or crime. basic economics: given the same revenue, if you are required to pay your employees more, you won't be able to hire as many people, and may even have to lay some off. also may have to cut back on benefits.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Just saw a permit for the consolidation of thirteen CMX-3 lots near the corner of 13th and Vine, on what is currently a surface parking lot owned by Patriot Parking. Could something interesting be in the works here?
Well, here's the answer to my earlier post. Looks like we will see a 7 story building rise near the corner of 13th and Vine:

Quote:
ZP-2022-012706C
Nov 30, 2022
225-39 N 13TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-1629
FINE ROBERT P, LEVY MARGARET FINE 1

For the complete demolition of all existing structure on the lot (existing parking lot). For the erection of a new seven (7) story structure (97'-8" high) for use as visitor accommodations (81 units) with ground floor commercial use (use registration required prior to occupancy) with one (1) loading space accessed from an 18' wide curb cut off Summer Street and six (6) bicycle spaces. Curb cut along N. 13th Street to be removed. All roof decks not to be occupied. This lot was previously consolidated via ZP-2022-012401. Size and location as shown in the attached plans.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:56 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Raising the minimum wage does nothing to alleviate poverty or crime. basic economics: given the same revenue, if you are required to pay your employees more, you won't be able to hire as many people, and may even have to lay some off. also may have to cut back on benefits.
Honestly asking... Is there any data / stats to back up this claim? An incremental increase to $12/hr doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Either way, I hope we can all agree the Federal and PA minimum wage of $7.25 is an embarrassment.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

This is a good article and one viewpoint.

https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/h...usinesses.aspx

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development