HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
So now that Terminal 5 extension is completed, what are the next steps? I recall the plan is to build Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 concourses of the new terminal, before actually closing and demolishing Terminal 2 to give way to the new global terminal.

How about the new indoor parking of Terminal 5?

Is there a timeframe for this?
New parking garage at T5 is under construction and they are doing ground prep work for Satellite 1. They have to remove/move a number of taxiways before S-1 can begin construction.

We are still probably 3-4 years away before T2 gets demo'd.

The city hasn't been very forthcoming with project/timeline updates beyond recently acknowledging that it ain't gonna be done by 2028, thats for sure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
New parking garage at T5 is under construction and they are doing ground prep work for Satellite 1. They have to remove/move a number of taxiways before S-1 can begin construction.
Oh cool, That's news to me. By S-1, we are referring to the new satellite to the West of the existing one, correct?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 3:35 PM

Have we seen renderings of the SOM designed satellite terminals? When will renderings of the revised design for terminal 2 by Studio Gang be released?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Oh cool, That's news to me. By S-1, we are referring to the new satellite to the West of the existing one, correct?
Eh, it's basically an extension added on to Concourse C in Terminal 1. Granted an extension that about doubles the length of it. Once that is done then T2 will be demolished. In the interim while the new T2 is built the only way to access it will likely be via the existing Terminal 1 tunnel and a long ass walk. Once T2 is rebuilt there will be another underground connection with separation for international arrivals. I think the first phase only has a pedestrian tunnel but when S-2 gets built a proper people mover is to be installed.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 1:34 AM

Back After 30+ Years: Air Serbia Reveals New Belgrade-Chicago Service

“ Air Serbia has added Chicago as its second US route and it is now bookable. It'll begin in May and will join the existing Belgrade-JFK. Chicago was last served by JAT, Air Serbia's predecessor, in 1991 using the DC-10.

The first Chicago flight by Air Serbia will be on May 17th, with 2 weekly flights. It'll rise to 3 weekly from June 12, in time for the peak summer; it is, after all, a summer-seasonal market.”

Belgrade-Chicago: JU506, Wednesdays 06:50-10:50; Mondays 12:50-16:50; Saturdays 17:20-21:20

Chicago-Belgrade: JU507, Wednesdays 12:40-05:30+1; Mondays 18:40-11:30+1; Saturdays 23:10-16:00+1

https://simpleflying.com/air-serbia-...chicago-route/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Back After 30+ Years: Air Serbia Reveals New Belgrade-Chicago Service

“ Air Serbia has added Chicago as its second US route and it is now bookable. It'll begin in May and will join the existing Belgrade-JFK. Chicago was last served by JAT, Air Serbia's predecessor, in 1991 using the DC-10.

The first Chicago flight by Air Serbia will be on May 17th, with 2 weekly flights. It'll rise to 3 weekly from June 12, in time for the peak summer; it is, after all, a summer-seasonal market.”

Belgrade-Chicago: JU506, Wednesdays 06:50-10:50; Mondays 12:50-16:50; Saturdays 17:20-21:20

Chicago-Belgrade: JU507, Wednesdays 12:40-05:30+1; Mondays 18:40-11:30+1; Saturdays 23:10-16:00+1

https://simpleflying.com/air-serbia-...chicago-route/
Wow! That’s great news!! Thanks for sharing this! They haven’t flew to ORD for more than three decades now. It’s been a very long time. When they did last time served to O’Hare? 1991?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Eh, it's basically an extension added on to Concourse C in Terminal 1. Granted an extension that about doubles the length of it. Once that is done then T2 will be demolished. In the interim while the new T2 is built the only way to access it will likely be via the existing Terminal 1 tunnel and a long ass walk. Once T2 is rebuilt there will be another underground connection with separation for international arrivals. I think the first phase only has a pedestrian tunnel but when S-2 gets built a proper people mover is to be installed.
Nice to hear they have already started T5 parking and the ground preparations for S1. Now I see what the construction sequence is:
1. Satellite 1
2. Global Terminal (including pedestrian tunnel from GT-S1)
3. Satellite 2 (including people mover from GT-S1-S2)

You mentioned in a previous post the “city” has not been very forthcoming with the timeline, which makes me wonder if this project is managed by the city of Chicago or the federal government? Or is it that the federal government allocates the money but it’s the city in charge of the construction?

Last edited by Roy_Batty; Nov 19, 2022 at 9:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Nice to hear they have already started T5 parking and the ground preparations for S1. Now I see what the construction sequence is:
1. Satellite 1

You mentioned in a previous post the “city” has not been very forthcoming with the timeline, which makes me wonder if this project is managed by the city of Chicago or the federal government? Or is it that the federal government allocates the money but it’s the city in charge of the construction?
Chicago Department of Aviation controls the project, which is a city agency under the purview of the Mayor. The Feds have little to do with it beyond some minimal financing here and there.

Speaking of which, Lightfoot has plastered herself all over the damn airport. Between large banners with her face saying welcome to Chicago to announcements by her over the loudspeakers. It's pretty cringe regardless of your political views.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 6:26 AM
Chicago Kid

Quote:
Chicago Department of Aviation controls the project, which is a city agency under the purview of the Mayor. The Feds have little to do with it beyond some minimal financing here and there.

Speaking of which, Lightfoot has plastered herself all over the damn airport. Between large banners with her face saying welcome to Chicago to announcements by her over the loudspeakers. It's pretty cringe regardless of your political views.
Yeah, I arrived back at O'Hare at 2AM into terminal 1 and of course it was empty and quiet except for Lori announcing via pre-recorded message about how "modern" O'Hare is. It was extremely tacky and cringe.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
CDA doesn't usually provide a lot of, at least easy to find, info about what's going on or planned and when. This isn't new AFAIK.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:08 PM

Massive O'Hare project clears last hurdle

“The big terminal modernization and expansion plan at O'Hare International Airport has been officially cleared for takeoff.

Under the latest plan, two new remote satellite terminals will be the first to open, in 2027 and 2028, off the existing Terminal 1, where most United Airlines flights are located.

Once that is done, full-scale work will begin on the centerpiece of the project: the demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, which will be converted into a combined domestic and international terminal.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...s-faa-approval

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
Massive O'Hare project clears last hurdle

“The big terminal modernization and expansion plan at O'Hare International Airport has been officially cleared for takeoff.

Under the latest plan, two new remote satellite terminals will be the first to open, in 2027 and 2028, off the existing Terminal 1, where most United Airlines flights are located.

Once that is done, full-scale work will begin on the centerpiece of the project: the demolition and reconstruction of Terminal 2, which will be converted into a combined domestic and international terminal.”

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...s-faa-approval
Can someone post the text from the article? It's locked behind a paywall for me. Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:46 PM

^ No paywall for the Sun Times article:

O’Hare expansion gets final OK from feds

Quote:
O’Hare International Airport got the official federal go-ahead Monday for a $7.1 billion project to replace Terminal 2 with a “global terminal” intended to link domestic and international flights in one location.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Mayor Lori Lightfoot and other dignitaries announced that the Federal Aviation Administration had completed a four-year environmental study paving the way for the project.

“When it opens, the O’Hare Global Terminal will be one of the most transformative terminal investments in America, more than doubling the amount of space of the existing Terminal 2,” said Chicago Aviation Commissioner Jamie Rhee.

The project is expected to start with two new satellite concourses, providing about 1.3 million square feet of gate and amenity space, which will “dramatically expand the airport’s ability to accommodate aircraft of all sizes,” Lightfoot said. “This is a big deal for us.”

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Under the plan, the existing Terminal 2 would be demolished and replaced with the “global terminal,” which would accept both domestic and international flights. O’Hare would become the first “global alliance hub” in the nation. It will allow domestic airlines and the international carriers they partner with to be in the same terminal — and that means passengers connecting to international flights won’t have to ride the People Mover to Terminal 5, also known as the international terminal.
That's news to me...... And super cool. I had just assumed that the Global Terminal would be like 5 in being mostly international, but this is super cool.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 1:57 PM

Yimby Article

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/11/con...l-airport.html

Some SOM renderings of the satellite terminals

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 4:11 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I think those are still the placeholder renders from a few years ago? It will be interesting to see when/if they release the renderings of the SOM satellite terminals.

An overall project increase of 4billion dollars before shovels hit the ground. A lot of expense accounts and office parties in the last few years since the current estimate. I wonder if there is any chance the final price tag will be kept under 20billion when the ribbon cutting happens.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 12:43 AM

Yeah, we've already seen those renderings before. They were from SOM's Global Terminal proposal. I wonder when we will get newer renderings, especially if they are going to be breaking ground soon on the first satellite concourse.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
1. Satellite 1

Unless the plan changed, the people mover was not part of the satellite 1 and satellite 2 plan. When the project was announced I thought it was crazy. They were going to put the train tunnel in, but not the people mover until the way out future when they add additional satellites. The reason as always was cost. Not only would the walks be awful, but what a poor experience for Chicago. Imagine arriving at the end of the new satellite 2 and have to walk to B16. I hope this execution changed, but I’ve seen nothing on this being part of the plan.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2022, 5:44 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
Unless the plan changed, the people mover was not part of the satellite 1 and satellite 2 plan. When the project was announced I thought it was crazy. They were going to put the train tunnel in, but not the people mover until the way out future when they add additional satellites. The reason as always was cost. Not only would the walks be awful, but what a poor experience for Chicago. Imagine arriving at the end of the new satellite 2 and have to walk to B16. I hope this execution changed, but I’ve seen nothing on this being part of the plan.
Indeed. And while the idea of the idea of setting up the airport to serve alliences is great it still will leave travelers who are not using allience connections left in the dark if there are is not eventual airside connections between T5 and the rest of the airport.

Maybe the cases of people traveling on Southwest only to catch a United flight to Munich may be rare, but I know I've logged such trips before. As long as you ask any travelers to make cumbersome multi-hour connections it can't be considered a first class airport.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Indeed. And while the idea of the idea of setting up the airport to serve alliences is great it still will leave travelers who are not using allience connections left in the dark if there are is not eventual airside connections between T5 and the rest of the airport.

Maybe the cases of people traveling on Southwest only to catch a United flight to Munich may be rare, but I know I've logged such trips before. As long as you ask any travelers to make cumbersome multi-hour connections it can't be considered a first class airport.
I get all of that, but at the end of the day, you can only accommodate so many different travelers. As someone who has done enough traveling, I know better than to schedule any flights where I have tight connections. If a flyer schedules a SW flight to T5 only to have an hour layover before their flight to Munich in the new Global Terminal - That's on them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation