HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I don't think it's a downer (or the expression of just one political/world view) to see that there are a lot of "balls in the air" economically and socially right now. If there's a "new normal" were at least temporarily in one. The elephant in the room is rising interest rates. Energy prices will be on the rise again too. Lots of downstream effects on construction and retail from those two things, before we even talk about whether the current approach to crime is satisfactory.
Oh, I genuinely think there there’s a chance that the entire country collapses within the next few decades but for now I’m just looking at the short term wins that hopefully add up to some sense of stability - but that’s a whole different discussion

Again, you have to take the good news when it comes. Logically, if all of things things you mentioned added up to an article that essentially said “retail on Walnut is packing up and leaving, get out while you can”, I could see your point but that’s clearly not the case.

There always have and always will be storm clouds on the horizon but somehow things are never quite as bad as they seem.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
That article seemed like a lot of talking in circles, but it's The Inquirer I guess... I also never heard the term "Miracle Mile" in Chicago. It's Magnificent Mile.

"Miracle Mile" is a surprisingly good nuclear war movie from the 80's.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Those are concerns valid concerns, especially in regards to construction activity, but general economic factors in the Delaware Valley are fine and right in-line with the rest of the country.

Just looking at the cities around us, Pittsburgh and Washington DC are doing noticeably worse.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pa_philadelphia_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/il_chicago_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.md_baltimore_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ny_newyork_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.dc_washington_md.htm

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ma_boston_mn.htm
Supposedly, housing is holding up here better as well. Philadelphia has always been more stable in that area, and not prone to wild swings. I'm not ignoring the good news. It's a mixed bag. Whatever we have going for us, we're not an island. I take a cautious position and look forward to pleasant surprises.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
"Miracle Mile" is a surprisingly good nuclear war movie from the 80's.
It’s also a very nondescript, weirdly urban/suburban neighborhood in LA that I used to live in. Lol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Oh, I genuinely think there there’s a chance that the entire country collapses within the next few decades but for now I’m just looking at the short term wins that hopefully add up to some sense of stability - but that’s a whole different discussion

Again, you have to take the good news when it comes. Logically, if all of things things you mentioned added up to an article that essentially said “retail on Walnut is packing up and leaving, get out while you can”, I could see your point but that’s clearly not the case.

There always have and always will be storm clouds on the horizon but somehow things are never quite as bad as they seem.
I'm thinking more of civilizational collapse myself. Almost any news is good news in that context. Seriously: I'm just taking a cautious wait and see approach. So many moving parts, and I'm no Nostradamus.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
^^^Guys, way to turn a relatively upbeat article into a downer lol. Take the good news.

I’ve probably been the most frustrated about Walnut retail on here but even I can see some good signs as of late.

I think the real game changer will be the opening of The Laurel as the gateway for Walnut west of the Square. That stretch of Walnut is probably better suited for high end retail.
My initial post wasn't mean to be down, I just thought the article sounded middle school-ish in the writing and points.

As you know, I am all for Walnut (and Chestnut revival), and they both are improving. My biggest critiques are the huge literal hole on Walnut Street and the issue of crime in Center City potentially deterring retail growth (kind of a different convo though).

And the completion of the Laurel and Equinox gym will be certainly extend the Walnut energy West.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:11 PM

I didn't see it mentioned in the article (tho I breezed through it) which already makes it outdated.

But an Express Edit - which is their higher end brand boutique - is coming to Walnut Street. Signs were up this AM. I forget which space it's taking over as I was moving too quickly to care...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:13 PM

Totally different (upbeat/optimistic) topic.

I've been spending a lot of time in NoLibs the past couple of weeks because my tenant moved out of my property there and I've been doing work on the house to turn it over.

1. The density in NoLibs is crazy right now and coming to a crescendo. All of the Post Brothers stuff, Callowhill, 6th & Fairmount, the waterfront (Sprouts Market Development, Durst building etc). Like there is crazy crazy activity. Coming back and forth for that short bit on 95 and NoLibs legit has it's own skyline. It's really really impressive.

2. It's clean and tidy. The BID there is really paying dividends. 2nd Street (though it needs street scape improvements) is pretty much spotless. That cleanliless has extended into the neighborhood. Whereas I felt in the past keeping up with the trash in my little block of the neighborhood was relentless, it's now a quick pass after trash day and a 5 minute exercise once a week to pick up odds and ends of trash. (Windy days excepted with our stupid lidless recycling bins).

My only gripe is the lack of retail and even nicer/trendy restaurants. Fishtown is really punching above its weight thanks mostly to Roland Cassis and his crew, but it does seem to be unfairly penalizing NoLibs in its ascent.

I don't know what the income data is in NoLibs today but it's gotta be off the charts. The demographics have to be crazy good for retailers and for the life of me I can't figure out why there isn't more.

My last gripe is the neighborhood school. For an urban neighborhood with household income at or above $100K, and chock full of really large family homes, you would think Kearny would be a better school. I actually attribute it's lack of traction to the fact that NoLibs is actually split up between THREE neighborhood catchments (below Poplar is Kearny, above Poplar is Ludlow (in South Kensington), and the far northeast corner near the El is actually Adaire in Fishtown)...and that lack of one zoned school for the entire community has affected buy in by neighborhood parents. IMO it's critical for the success of Kearny for its boundary to be redrawn to essentially align with the whole of Northern Liberties (waterfront to 6th (or 8th), Spring Garden to Girard.

It's not that complicated.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'm no Nostradamus.
Isn't that a double negative?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:34 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I didn't see it mentioned in the article (tho I breezed through it) which already makes it outdated.

But an Express Edit - which is their higher end brand boutique - is coming to Walnut Street. Signs were up this AM. I forget which space it's taking over as I was moving too quickly to care...
The former Govberg space at 1529 Walnut.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:59 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

That would be 1521 Walnut for Express Edit. Their sign application was presented to the Sign Committee of the Art Commission yesterday.

https://www.phila.gov/departments/ph...blic-meetings/

https://www.phila.gov/media/20220923...cation-1st.pdf

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 10:49 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

From the Temple U Archives.

The Pedestrian bridge over 76 that connected to MLK, Apparently from one of the reddit comments the bridge was hit in 1990 by a garbage truck, and was torn down as a result.

Any reason why they didn't build a new higher one?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 3:29 PM
Chris

Some good points and some nonsense points, but an exciting development either way.

But if I hear the statement "Philadelphia is the nations poorest big city" one more time I am going to scream! Philadelphia is not the poorest big city. Philadelphia has the highest poverty rate among America's 10 largest cities (all over 1M people). But I could see Houston taking Philadelphia's spot in the coming years based on trends.

Point man for Sixers’ arena plan: ‘The city’s not going to fix itself’

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/phil...-20220930.html

Sometimes, David Adelman, who wants to build a downtown arena for the 76ers, walks west on Market Street from Front Street. “You get to 5th Street, even 6th, it’s great,” he said. “Day or night, this is great. You get to 7th and 8th, and you’re like, ‘I’m someplace else.’”

Sometimes, he walks east on Market from City Hall. “You’re like, ‘This is so cool.’ Cool neon signage. You feel like you’re in a modern city: high rises, supermarkets. Bingo, next block, you’re like, ‘Oh, [bleep], where am I?’”

In his view, Philadelphia and its institutions need a renaissance, one that the city’s political leaders cannot and will not deliver, and building the arena, reshaping the Fashion District, and filling what he called the “doughnut hole,” those decaying and benumbed Center City blocks, are essential to that urban rebirth.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 5:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 12:31 AM
Midrise

Inolex Chemical site

I scooped him by several hours (I posted at 6:23AM), but Kyle McShane included a helpful numbered key in his post matching the slated tenants to their respective buildings in the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...9799150642048/

…and of course I always include a direct link to the relevant zoning permit with plans: http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...022-009142.pdf

…and a link to GroJLart’s excellent historical piece on Inolex from 2019: https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...emical-complex

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

Tony Valuez
, on Flickr

From the Temple U Archives.

The Pedestrian bridge over 76 that connected to MLK, Apparently from one of the reddit comments the bridge was hit in 1990 by a garbage truck, and was torn down as a result.

Any reason why they didn't build a new higher one?
Rarely used? One end was near the zoo, mid blockish. Who did this bridge serve?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 3:20 PM

This is way too suburban. So many parking spots and a wasted opportunity to make a walkable shopping area.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 8:42 PM

A 1970s Warehouse Gets a Surprising Reuse in South Kensington

Current progress:

Project renderings:

Site plan:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uth-kensington

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 8:43 PM

1300 N. Howard Street update from Naked Philly

Current site:

Project rendering:

Quote:
We told you about 1300 N. Howard St. in December 2021, when plans from HDO Architecture were presented to the Civic Design Review. This project hasn’t made any obvious progress as of yet, but it will bring 115 apartments and even more commercial space to the area, truly transforming two underutilized blocks into a hub of activity.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uth-kensington

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 8:44 PM

Another Step Closer for Project at Frankford & N. Delaware Ave.

Current view of site:

Aerial of site:

Project renderings:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...n-delaware-ave

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development