HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5101  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:12 AM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I’m very old®.
Perhaps. But I don't remember seeing you at the opening of The Mastbaum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5102  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:08 AM
SouthCentralPA SouthCentralPA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Behind Philadelphia's 'spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity with 2026 World Cup



Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
Wow, love to read this. Big, big opportunity here for the City! Can't wait for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5103  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:02 AM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Tony V / ValuezTV
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I’m very old®. Also, my subscription to newspapers.com is worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Perhaps. But I don't remember seeing you at the opening of The Mastbaum.
I assume you both were at the opening of NLP aka Baker Bowl, as well Shibe Park later known as Connie Mack Stadium which was 5 blocks away, and the first Steel & Concrete Baseball Stadium in baseball.

it's actually interesting, Baseball has more history in North Philadelphia than the rest of the whole USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Philadelphia

The "Stadium" with the most interesting history of course is Shibe Park.


Another interesting tidbit is that the eagles, chose to play at Shibe Park over JFK.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998! | ValuezTv | Philadelphia Photo Thread |

Last edited by TonyTone; Sep 28, 2022 at 3:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5104  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:26 PM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
This would be a new proposal we haven't seen right? From how it is described, this would be the corner of 15th and Mt Vernon?
Well, I'm not totally sure we haven't heard about this yet. I'm leaning towards no but, like you, I can only see the only demolition being done to a "low-rise non-historic building" is indeed at 15th & Mt. Vernon and building the new tower there and still using the "640 N. Broad" address.

I guess he's renovating the current old building at Broad & Wallace. Furthermore, is he still trying to build at Broad and Spring Garden?

Last edited by kool-ski; Sep 28, 2022 at 3:28 PM. Reason: i left out some words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5105  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:34 PM
PHLJD13 PHLJD13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
I guess he's renovating the current old building at Broad & Wallace. Furthermore, is he still trying to build at Broad and Spring Garden?
I've never personally been inside the 640 Lofts apartments, but from what I've heard they're in serious need of modernization. Like, Park Towne-level non-renew everyone's lease and renovate floor to ceiling. Could be a good opportunity for it if he has new construction happening on the lot at the same time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5106  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 9:33 PM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
I've never personally been inside the 640 Lofts apartments, but from what I've heard they're in serious need of modernization. Like, Park Towne-level non-renew everyone's lease and renovate floor to ceiling. Could be a good opportunity for it if he has new construction happening on the lot at the same time.
Well then that all makes sense then. A demolished low-rise turned 36-story tower (at 15th/Mt Vernon, nonetheless!) and a renovated/refurbished 640 Lofts (originally the Metropolitan building built in 1913) at Broad/Wallace, all the while, surrounding the Old Zion Lutheran Church built in 1766! Love it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5107  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:28 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
Well then that all makes sense then. A demolished low-rise turned 36-story tower (at 15th/Mt Vernon, nonetheless!) and a renovated/refurbished 640 Lofts (originally the Metropolitan building built in 1913) at Broad/Wallace, all the while, surrounding the Old Zion Lutheran Church built in 1766! Love it!

Definitely not that old. Maybe 1866?
__________________
I'm dumb as sh*t.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5108  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:51 PM
JohnIII JohnIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 378
Are there any specs on 640 N Broad Street and is it to early to have a threat on it?

Are there any diagrams.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5109  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:11 PM
japmes japmes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Are there any specs on 640 N Broad Street and is it to early to have a threat on it?

Are there any diagrams.
I haven't seen any details. It sounds like a pipedream.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5110  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:24 PM
skyhigh07 skyhigh07 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I haven't seen any details. It sounds like a pipedream.
Guys, he literally just announced it a few days ago at a community meeting. At least give it a few weeks before we start throwing around “pipe dream” lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5111  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:15 AM
steve_phl steve_phl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 42
The Two Liberty lights are back on, and while I’m not positive, I think they look a lot brighter. Almost matching One Liberty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5112  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:03 AM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Tony V / ValuezTV
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post
The Two Liberty lights are back on, and while I’m not positive, I think they look a lot brighter. Almost matching One Liberty.
Ill be going out in the next couple days to get some good night shots then. I'm sure TK will as well.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998! | ValuezTv | Philadelphia Photo Thread |
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5113  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:36 AM
Nanyika Nanyika is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
Well then that all makes sense then. A demolished low-rise turned 36-story tower (at 15th/Mt Vernon, nonetheless!) and a renovated/refurbished 640 Lofts (originally the Metropolitan building built in 1913) at Broad/Wallace, all the while, surrounding the Old Zion Lutheran Church built in 1766! Love it!
The church was built in 1891. The original Old Zion church, at 5th & Race, was built in 1766, but the congregation moved four more times since then. The old schoolhouse affiliated with the church, on Cherry Street and built in 1761, is still standing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5114  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:06 AM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
The church was built in 1891. The original Old Zion church, at 5th & Race, was built in 1766, but the congregation moved four more times since then. The old schoolhouse affiliated with the church, on Cherry Street and built in 1761, is still standing.
Thanks. After more thorough research this morning, I was going to remind myself post the correct dates/locations of the structures to the first-half of your statements but I wasn't sure whether the old original schoolhouse was still standing or not. I should've been more accurate.

That said, I still like the idea of having, somewhat old by Philadelphia standards, the combination of two 100 plus year old buildings along with a brand new tower that hopefully this time Blumenfeld can finally get off the ground
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5115  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:43 PM
Redddog Redddog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
640 N. Broad St., 36-Story Residential Building with Parking, and 1st Floor Commercial, To Be Built “As Of Right” w/ a Change In the Property’s Zoning

Per the most recent Spring Garden Civic Association Zoning Report from 9/22/22:



https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view
How the hell is this not an historic building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5116  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:12 PM
TK2001's Avatar
TK2001 TK2001 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Not your business
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post
The Two Liberty lights are back on, and while I’m not positive, I think they look a lot brighter. Almost matching One Liberty.
I'll take a look soon! I saw it on the Fox29 Skyline cam a few days ago, and it still looked dim. When I was shooting on Saturday, the lights were completely off
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5117  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:12 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,354
I’m a bit confused as to where this project is happening. Is he proposing to tear down the 640 Lofts building? Or is he proposing to tear down the Lowrise where A La Spina used to be?
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5118  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:16 PM
PHL10's Avatar
PHL10 PHL10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I’m a bit confused as to where this project is happening.
Me too. It says the SW part of the property is where the new construction will be sited. I'm assuming it's that mid-century annex located at 15th and Mt. Vernon that will be demo'd.
__________________
I'm dumb as sh*t.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5119  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:24 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Me too. It says the SW part of the property is where the new construction will be sited. I'm assuming it's that mid-century annex located at 15th and Mt. Vernon that will be demo'd.
Wack. At least the church and 640 N Broad remain.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5120  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:32 PM
kool-ski kool-ski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
How the hell is this not an historic building?
As for the actual 640 Lofts building, I don't understand that either. I assume the church is?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.