HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
great, now please add a full service grocery store to the basement of block 37 :-p.
best. idea. EVER

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Not sure I understand how student housing is the play for LaSalle Street...
i think it's just an effort to address the student population of the loop, who may attend classes there but do not live there

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 3:51 PM
BANNED

it's funny, in my old city Atlanta, like 99% of the new residential housing downtown is student housing. Now of course Columbia and those other colleges in/near the loop aren't as big as GSU, but it would be nice to see more student housing downtown

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
i think it's just an effort to address the student population of the loop, who may attend classes there but do not live there
It's probably also easier to convert some of those prewar skyscraper into studio/dorm-style apartments for students than it is to make them into 2/3 bedroom apartments or condos.

More student housing plus a possible "google effect" in the Loop could bring enough new energy to be a catalyst to a much larger rebirth downtown.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:51 PM

The IFP never mentioned student dorms. If the city is financing 30% of the units to be affordable, this suggests most of the units will be permanent dwelling units rather that dorms.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 5:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As promised, I made a new map for the zoning applications so far this year. It is not every single one of them, but it is the vast majority of them (probably 95%+). Some of them weren't really worthy of putting on here (i.e. new rooftop deck for some 2 unit buildings, some corrections, etc). There's a fair number of applications for ADU.

Have fun..

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...326621094&z=11
appreciate your work man! love seeing future developments in the city

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:02 PM

Based off a quick glance while driving by today, it looks like they've begun excavation work at 1237 W Division. Glad they are finally filling those empty lots on Elston.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Glad they are finally filling those empty lots on Elston.
Yeah but not like that...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Yeah but not like that...
I knew that was coming lol. It doesn't really make sense to put anything else over there though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Based off a quick glance while driving by today, it looks like they've begun excavation work at 1237 W Division. Glad they are finally filling those empty lots on Elston.

No other city wastes riverfront property like Chicago. Anything would be better than that. A Topgolf/Ikea would be great here.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
No other city wastes riverfront property like Chicago. Anything would be better than that. A Topgolf/Ikea would be great here.
it's not riverfront

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
No other city wastes riverfront property like Chicago.
ORLY?

https://starnewsphilly.com/2020/11/2...to-be-rezoned/

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Quote:
Bridge Industrial plans to build nearly 900,000 square feet of industrial space in the Bridesburg section of Philadelphia, continuing an established trend of developers expanding into the city.

The property totals 63 acres and fronts the Northern Delaware River waterfront. It was viewed by Philadelphia officials for industrial development.
This is less than 5 miles NE of Philadelphia City Hall in the middle of the city, right on the river:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9788...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:23 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Dude, when is the last time you actually said something positive about this city? All you've done is complain and moan about everything about Chicago for months now. If you don't like anything about where you live, perhaps you should consider relocating somewhere more to your liking.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:30 PM

There's plenty of riverfront property to redevelop down by Bubbly Creek lol

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:14 PM
1st Ward

I think I too would have preferred a large retail option as well, like an Ikea or something along those lines. That said, these warehouses need to go somewhere, and there are not too many sites close to downtown that fit that description. Hopefully the exterior doesn't look like a sack of crap, especially if the land east of Elston ends up being a park or some other public space.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Dude, when is the last time you actually said something positive about this city? All you've done is complain and moan about everything about Chicago for months now. If you don't like anything about where you live, perhaps you should consider relocating somewhere more to your liking.

Aaron (Glowrock)
I love Chicago, think its the best city in the country. I definitely applaud the positive, but i don't see an issue with criticism where its needed. I do feel in some ways the city is overachieving (the whole fulton market area boom is great), but I do feel like decisions made by the higher ups in this city just...aren't it.

Like the North Branch of the river is gonna be transformed in the next decade with lincoln yards, the salt shed, wild mile, etc...why are warehouses still allowed on this real estate? I get what left of center is saying tho, I understand it needs to be near downtown which is fine or whatever, but right on the river?

Oh well, i'm excited about all the development near the river. Chicago has no topography, so I just defintely think we should be using the water features to its highest potential (like we do with the lake).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ It isnt right on the river though. Something, likely residential since anything else would be impractical, will eventually be built on that skinny piece of land between Elston and the river where the seafood place is. Too bad Elston isn't shifted a little more to the NE to make that land a little easier to develop.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^ It isnt right on the river though. Something, likely residential since anything else would be impractical, will eventually be built on that skinny piece of land between Elston and the river where the seafood place is. Too bad Elston isn't shifted a little more to the NE to make that land a little easier to develop.
I'm not necessarily against new warehouses going up this close to the river in the city, but this particular location strikes me as a bit odd. As pointed out, this is the North Branch corridor where we have massive development coming up, so why not have a warehouse on a different part of the river? Maybe North of Fullerton?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 10:49 PM

That lot is zoned PMD. Any residential is banned

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 12:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

What modern industrial use is ever going to utilize that sliver of land? The city would be better of carving this land and several others like it out of the PMD and allow residential.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development