HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 8:49 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Don't be embarrassed to admit you love my poetry

To quote my conservative friends because they know what they're talking about: "The sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow."
Gosh; I thought you knew this?

Due to climate change, my recommendation would be to have plenty of backup capacity. The great thing about Nat Gas is you can crank it up when you need it and shut it down when you don't. Storing electricity is iffy at best and still largely unproven; I wouldn't want to rely on that.

FYI, Arizona sources its electricity: " In 2021, 99% of Arizona's total electricity net generation was provided from 6 sources: natural gas (43%); nuclear power (28%); coal (13%); solar energy (9%); hydroelectric power (5%): and wind (1%)."

The problem with Texas was their systems weren't 'winterized' and they froze up. They've weathered this summer's heat peaks.
You've got it all figured out. Call FERC, NWPP, WEIM, CAISO, WEIS and tell them you've solved the capacity crunch in the West.

Roughly 25% of AZ generation is exported, most to CA, you're CAISO's bitch in that specific market determines what AZ has. The growth in natural gas generation is due to CA's emission requirements as merchant plants were built in AZ and then bid into the CAISO market starting the in early 2000's. That market has changed somewhat as utilities in CA have to show the emission makeup of their generation and have sought further data on the emission intensity of out-of-state generators. Greenwashing purchases with purchased REC's is no longer a viable strategy.

Colorado's 80% by 2030 goal has plenty of dispatchable capacity built-in at least for the benevolent monopolisitic utility. 1,300 MW of additional gas-fired and 400MW of 4-hour battery storage to go with the gas, remaining coal, and pumped hydro that's already on the system. Can't speak for the rest of the utilities as most of them are currently in the "then a miracle occurs" stage of planning.

Texas' problems go way beyond plant winterization. Resource adequacy still isn't addressed, nor is transmission resiliency, and we won't go into the toothless winterization and reliability regulations that were put upon the gas delivery system by the TRC.

Since it's Texas, they ignored this report, but it's probably the most comprehensive, holistic one of Winter Storm Uri:

https://www.ferc.gov/news-events/new...ecommendations

Anyway's..... enough TakeFive-caused digression. I'm liking what the PopUp Denver program has been doing for retail along the Mall in activating shuttered storefronts. It looks like they want to further expand the program in 2023, but I haven't seen any kind of proposal as to what that expansion entails. Does anyone have any information?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Aug 15, 2022 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:11 PM

I love learning new things
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Roughly 25% of AZ generation is exported, most to CA, you're CAISO's bitch in that specific market determines what AZ has. The growth in natural gas generation is due to CA's emission requirements as merchant plants were built in AZ and then bid into the CAISO market starting the in early 2000's.
For starters, my OP was a response to environmentalists that think CO won't need gas in the future, like what you point out is currently part of the system. I would hold a different opinion.

I'm aware that CA and NV have a piece of the Palo Verde plant but that's been that way from the beginning. I found your reference to CAISO which is a potential problem. Apparently the new ISO Wheel-Through Rules are being disputed. AZ is planning to add a lot more renewable energy going forward.
Quote:
"Our electric utilities did the right thing and planned ahead, securing pre-negotiated contracts with utilities in the Pacific Northwest to ensure that critical hydropower would be available to Arizonans when it would be needed the most which would be delivered across transmission line[s] through the state of California."
Not an expert on Texas but ERCOT is not a part of FERC (as you would know) other than being able to do commercial transactions with them. So far as resource adequacy and transmission resiliency I'll assume that's true and leave it to Texas to figure out.

So far as those other entities aren't they largely beyond the purview of Texas, Arizona and Colorado?

But if you were trying to show me that it's a lot more complex than I was aware of you did good.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:27 PM

Holy Cabana; Tom's gave up 40 parking spaces

After years of controversy, Tom's Diner to reopen in less than a month as Tom's Starlight cocktail lounge
Aug 09, 2022 By: Russell Haythorn - 7News Denver
Quote:
“It’s outside the box,” Messina said. “But it’s keeping true to the design, the Googie-design. And that kind of steered us into the Palm Springs outdoor area with the cabanas and fire pits, 30 bar stoles, cocktail seating, flower beds, a waterfall.”

Inside, Messina plans to refinish the terrazzo floor and keep the retro countertops. If all goes well – they’re shooting for a Labor Day weekend opening.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:13 AM

This mayoral candidate gets all five of my votes

Kelly Brough, longtime CEO of Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, is running for mayor
August 15, 2022 By Ben Markus/Denverite
Quote:
Kelly Brough, the longtime CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, has filed paperwork to run for mayor of Denver.

Brough, who also served as then-mayor John Hickenlooper’s chief of staff in the mid-2000s, is widely seen as a “tier-one” candidate. She potentially has a broad base of financial support among the business community due to her 12 years running the Chamber.
But is she 'progressive' enough in today's Denver? Who knows?
Quote:
“We want a city where we feel safe. Where we take pride in our city again. A place our kids can find and create a home for themselves. I don’t think we have those things today.”

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:38 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
Just out of coincidence while talking about other waste issues, I heard from a Denver Waste supervisor that the 'one-side-of-alley' thing is just a test and it isn't working well. He thinks it may not be permanent. He also said that the test folks and anyone else really need to be vocal because there are a few council folks that think the one-side is a great idea for efficiency. How long has been happening by you? Have you been informed it's a test?
I was not aware that it was a test, actually. Why on earth did they think it would be an improvement, I wonder? I assume the trucks make their way through faster, but that is hardly a priority for most residents.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:41 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
OOTL: Can you provide more color on this? Why doesn't the city want this to pass, and what is the alternative?
The alternative would be the slower targeted sidewalks fixes that DOTI stopped, but now insists that it will restart.

I think they do not feel it is achievable. Too much work; too many barriers to implementation; not realistic.

Others say it's just not our highest priority.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:58 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I was not aware that it was a test, actually. Why on earth did they think it would be an improvement, I wonder? I assume the trucks make their way through faster, but that is hardly a priority for most residents.
I figure it was a response to the driver shortage DOTI had. They were/are running the routes with fewer trucks so one alley-pass saved time. Once a route goes sideways it seems to take DOTI a day or two to catch up.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:50 AM

So with Union Station being almost built out... I noticed at 1995 Wewatta St, Denver, CO 80202 there is a dinky weed dispensary with 90% of the lot being unused...

Are there any rumblings of this lot getting sold and being put to good use? If so, what are the chances they would raise the height limit?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I figure it was a response to the driver shortage DOTI had. They were/are running the routes with fewer trucks so one alley-pass saved time. Once a route goes sideways it seems to take DOTI a day or two to catch up.
This could well be a factor. Driver shortages are real.

This was just posted at 7Denver News. https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...uters-stranded
Quote:
“I save a lot of money on not having a vehicle and no gas right now,” Haar said. He is a loyal rider of RTD, even though he and some of his colleagues aren’t always sure if their RTD bus or train will be delayed or canceled. “Can get frustrating,” Haar said. “Especially at the end of the day when you’re trying to get home from a 10-hour or 12-hour shift.”

“Amazing, the RTD cancelations just keep continuing, high percentage due to no driver available," one commuter tweeted Monday morning. "Their "free" campaign is just making people decide NOT to take them.”
I'm sure RTD is just as frustrated as passengers are.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:52 AM

Update on 8th & Broadway

Courtesy AMLI Residential via BusinessDen

366 new apartments coming to South Broadway
Aug 16, 2022 By Kate Tracy – Reporter , Denver Business Journal
Quote:
AMLI submitted plans last year for a 16-story apartment building on the site... Isabelle Lockwood, AMLI’s vice president of development, said the City of Denver approved AMLI’s site development plan in June of this year. Plans detail 366 apartment units, ground floor retail and 507 parking spaces on the 1.41-acre site.

Next up will be securing building permits, and the company hopes to break ground during the first half of 2023. Construction will take approximately 28 months, with a targeted 2025 delivery.
Milender White is the contractor and Davis Partnership is the architect.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:28 AM

Breakthrough Properties Enters Boulder Market with Development of Life Sciences Campus
August 15, 2022 By Mile High CRE

Photo courtesy of Breakthrough Properties
Quote:
Breakthrough Properties, a leading global developer of life sciences real estate backed by a joint venture of Tishman Speyer and Bellco Capital, has officially entered the Boulder market with the acquisition of a 9.3-acre, four-building campus, which will be transformed into “Boulder 38 by Breakthrough” featuring 164,000 square feet of office, lab and flex space.
It may not be the 1st time but it's the 1st time I can recall Tishman Speyer connected to Denver-metro.
Quote:
“Boulder has succeeded in cultivating a unique ecosystem propelled by leading research and academic institutions, creative residents and premier outdoor recreational amenities,” said Tishman Speyer Senior Managing Director Paul DeMartini. “We are excited by this opportunity to create a world-class research campus that will serve as a magnet for life science innovation and talent.”
Funding is always important.
Quote:
The acquisition and redevelopment of Boulder 38 is being capitalized by the Breakthrough Life Science Property Fund. The Fund, which held its final closing in April of this year, raised $3 billion in direct capital and co-investments to scale a global portfolio of best-in-class ecosystems for dynamic early-, mid-, and late-stage life science companies.
Given that Breakthrough Properties was only formed ~3 years ago I couldn't help but be curious....
Quote:
Our team is a first-of-its-kind collaboration in real estate development, which came together through a shared passion that combines Tishman Speyer’s global real estate platform with Bellco Capital’s industry-making biotechnology entrepreneurship to capitalize on the rapidly expanding — yet substantially under-supplied — life science real estate industry. Our teams develop and operate world-class mission critical facilities for the most innovative companies.
This is not a huge deal but it is interesting.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:25 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:

366 new apartments coming to South Broadway
Didn't realize 800 N Broadway in the Golden Triangle was "South Broadway".
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:41 PM

^
Funny!

Speaking of the Golden Triangle, here is a rendering of the proposed 23-story tower on Elati that Milender White is going to develop and construct:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:46 PM

Another project that is Golden Triangle adjacent-ish. The 9-story, 183 unit building proposed at 5th and Lincoln:

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:10 PM

Very interesting but highly controversial
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Didn't realize 800 N Broadway in the Golden Triangle was "South Broadway".
Good catch! Nobody ever said you couldn't read a map.

OTOH, I do believe many refer to So Broadway as starting from Colfax. It's more of a colloquialism for the road's direction from downtown.

Clearly the locals should know where So Broadway is?
Quote:
South Broadway... bridges the gap between old Denver and the Denver of more modern times. This area has been defined as the stretch of Broadway that runs from south of Sixth Avenue to north of the I-25.
----------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
^
Funny!

Speaking of the Golden Triangle, here is a rendering of the proposed 23-story tower on Elati that Milender White is going to develop and construct:
As an armchair fan of Milender White, I could (easily) be wrong but this is the 1st project I recall where they would be the owner/developer (not counting their HQ in Arvada).

https://www.milenderwhite.com/our-work/12th-elati/
Quote:
Even though 12th & Elati is still in the design phase, MW Development incorporated the core value of creating transformative places. The building will feature thoughtful modern design, a unique and functional amenity package, public and private art, and placemaking commercial uses.

The ground floor will be split between commercial space and a residential lobby. There is an amenity deck on the 6th floor and an additional rooftop amenity area on the 23rd floor. In addition, the project includes 36 affordable housing units restricted to renters earning 60% of AMI which allowed for a height and density bonus.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
[SIZE="3"]
As an armchair fan of Milender White, I could (easily) be wrong but this is the 1st project I recall where they would be the owner/developer (not counting their HQ in Arvada).

https://www.milenderwhite.com/our-work/12th-elati/
MW also is the developer/owner for the 4th Street Crossing project in Silverthorne and Parkside Collective at Alameda & Sable in Aurora.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:37 PM

Life is what happens while you're making other plans

(For my last day b4 I getting back out on the road) I ended up reviewing the 3-year-old Blueprint Denver Executive Summary. Not a surprise that I find it a tad too idealistic (to be practical); that said there's no harm in being aspirational and visionary.

If you happen to follow DenverInfill, then you can easily see what developers like by observing what they do.

5 ways Charlotte is rewriting development rules, besides single-family zoning
August 15, 2022 By Danielle Chemtob and Alexandria Sands - AXIOS
Quote:
Charlotte City Council is slated to vote on a nearly 700-page rewrite of the rules that guide development in our fast-growing city, but most of the attention has focused on one controversial aspect: allowing duplexes and triplexes by-right in single-family areas.
Despite a few reservations, I had previously concluded that eliminating single family zoning would be No Big Deal.

Quote:
Intentions to preserve history, character

Why it matters: Charlotte has a reputation for bulldozing its history.
Denver is already doing some of this (preserving historical areas) and for neighborhoods that I like as Anchors of Stability you're only likely to see multi-plexus at the margin and I do love missing middle units. "Missing Middle" units are more likely to occur in neighborhoods like Virginia Vale/Village or even University Hills.

This I like
Quote:
Saving trees and creating open space
Bottom Line: I think Denver is doing just fine. It's near impossible to provide enough supply to get ahead of demand - until demand slows (way) down. It's so much easier for peeps to pick up and move to Denver than it is to build new housing.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the correction
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
MW also is the developer/owner for the 4th Street Crossing project in Silverthorne and Parkside Collective at Alameda & Sable in Aurora.
I was aware of Milender White's 4th Street Crossing project as my sister-in-law lives up there; but didn't know they were the owner too.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 3:10 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:

OTOH, I do believe many refer to So Broadway as starting from Colfax. It's more of a colloquialism for the road's direction from downtown.

Clearly the locals should know where So Broadway is?

----------------------

What a horribly written article. It is riddled with factual errors, nonsensical statements, awkward grammar and phrasing, and written by someone who probably has never been to Denver. It is just so painfully bad that I'm embarrassed that it even exists on the internet.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:30 AM

We can fix that; we'll keep it Kosher for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
What a horribly written article. It is riddled with factual errors, nonsensical statements, awkward grammar and phrasing, and written by someone who probably has never been to Denver. It is just so painfully bad that I'm embarrassed that it even exists on the internet.
According to Visit Denver:
Quote:
Today, South Broadway and the Baker neighborhood offer an eclectic mix of neighborhood taverns, vintage clothing stores, unique eateries, bookstores, art galleries, international restaurants, craft shops, an arthouse movie theater and hip live music venues.
Searching Baker we find:
Quote:
Baker
Back to Visit Denver:
Quote:
South of Alameda Street, Broadway becomes "Antique Row ," a bargain hunter's dream with an amazing collection of nearly 100 antique stores packed into just 18 blocks. Whether you are looking for something to do or something to buy, there's a good chance you'll find it on South Broadway.
South Broadway

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West