HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Yeah, the whole "back to the Seventies" thing seems to be happening on many fronts. I was there. I'm not particularly interested in going back.
I've always had the impression that at its essence the 1970s was the decade of living it up while the metaphorical wheels were coming off of society. For that reason I think the renewed identifying with the era signifies something quite serious about our current one.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 9:14 PM

^I agree with your concern. "Living it up" probably was more on the front of lax morality, because the economy really stank at times. High unemployment AND high interest rates AND high inflation.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
High unemployment AND high interest rates AND high inflation.
I.e., "stagflation." I was an undergraduate Economics major in the 1970s, and I can remember one of my Econ professors saying that economists were at a real loss to explain the "stagflation" of that time.

Made me feel really good about being an Econ major.

Fortunately, law school awaited.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:39 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Rail Park

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9758.../data=!3m1!1e3

Looking at the map of how far the rail park goes. It is a very good connector as far as Trails go for Center City. We really need to get this project moving forward again, can the city take imminent domain action against the Rail Owner due to letting this just city idle in the city? Could this project qualify for a "Rail to trail" conversion funding.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Nice! The only thing you might want to add is a way to handle traffic fro 95->676 eastbound. That's another one that just dumps everyone into the street grid just for them to get back on the highway. I think someone said the original plan included a flyover that was never built. I think a short tunnel might work better, similar to how the 76/676 interchange works. But just those changes you highlighted would help a ton.
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone. Yea good point, that transition from 95 to 676 east is terrible. Unfortunately to my eye this fix doesn't seem nearly as simple as the ones I suggested, once you get into tunneling I think costs skyrocket. The good thing about the changes I suggested is I don't think any of them are that extravagant in cost. The first suggestion to add an elevated ramp would really be the only piece of complicated engineering. The rest is basically just reorienting surface streets.

Even if it's pricey though I think it's worth doing what it takes to rectify the problem you identified because it is a big reason for all of the insane speeding traffic down 6th street. I don't think it's a coincidence that even though much of callowhill is a disaster, the part that is used as a defacto highway interchange is the absolute worst part. Just an incredible dead zone caused by this mess, absolutely kills more than a dozen blocks and creates a significant barrier between two vibrant neighborhoods.

Quote:
Excellent thoughts. Looking at that diagonal at the southwest corner of Franklin Square, I think it would be better to keep the perpendicular street and reunite the orphan triangle with the park. That could be done by putting a diagonal connection through the current roundhouse site (there is no way to save that monster) OR rerouting 7th Street through even more of the roundhouse block. My one big concern about "Franklin Square Garden" arena or an other redevelopment is the Federal Reserve Banks screening area. Moving part of 7th further west in that block would give them the space to keep or reconfigure/reconstruct that facility. Maybe the diagonal should be just beyond the AA Museum (although I'd much rather that relocated to a nicer building and/or location).
A perpendicular street is generally always preferred for ease of use and sightlines for pedestrians and cyclists, and I get reuniting Franklin Square but I left the angled one because so much traffic comes up 7th to get on 95 that I think you have to maintain the ability to drive directly up 7th or else you're sending a ton more traffic onto surrounding streets. I didn't consider breaking up the roundhouse block though, which would also allow you to keep the flow of 7th intact. As I mentioned, I think it would be great if the roundhouse was incorporated into a modern skyscraper, though I guess it's an option if it's demolished.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone.
I don't want to derail this, but it's interesting because how awful these things are was often intentional. Vine St pre-676 was considered the city's skid row and Franklin Square was considered shady. Doing maximum destruction to an area as "blight removal" with a blunt tool was often the misguided point of 20th century urban renewal and highway planning, and we're still stuck dealing with it now decades later.

Many cities have it worse, but you'll the destruction was usually intentionally planned.

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Aug 11, 2022 at 12:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I.e., "stagflation." I was an undergraduate Economics major in the 1970s, and I can remember one of my Econ professors saying that economists were at a real loss to explain the "stagflation" of that time.

Made me feel really good about being an Econ major.

Fortunately, law school awaited.
At least by the time I was an undergrad finance major in the eighties (also on my way to law school), we could study it as a sad, cautionary history. Apparently they don't teach history any more, so off we go repeating it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:53 PM

African American Museum Relocated to Former Family Court Building on the Parkway

https://twitter.com/FarFarrAway/stat...48541778444288

Great addition to the area. Interesting to see what will come of 1901 Wood St.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:06 PM
Chris

Big improvement from their current spot, and good to see another cultural institution on the Parkway.

Does that mean the hotel plan is no more?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:15 PM

^ is their collection big enough for that space? From what I remember, it was a pretty small museum.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Big improvement from their current spot, and good to see another cultural institution on the Parkway.

Does that mean the hotel plan is no more?
Was their current spot near the firehouse in Old City?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^ is their collection big enough for that space? From what I remember, it was a pretty small museum.
Found more info here: https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...ourt-building/

"The historic property, which dates back to the early 1940s, is nearly 250,000 square feet. The museum will occupy roughly 48,000 square feet, triple the space it has now.

The Free Library of Philadelphia will also occupy some of the property."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Found more info here: https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...ourt-building/

"The historic property, which dates back to the early 1940s, is nearly 250,000 square feet. The museum will occupy roughly 48,000 square feet, triple the space it has now.

The Free Library of Philadelphia will also occupy some of the property."
So the hotel seems like a no.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:57 PM

That’s great! Great location for the AA Museum. Also opens up their current location for redevelopment. That entire area around Franklin Square is due for a makeover. Great expansion opportunity for Chinatown.

As for the Old Family Court building, I think moving the AA Museum and even with the Free Library taking up some space, that’s going to be 150,000-170,000 sq ft left. Plenty of room for a luxury boutique hotel. If there isn’t a hotel in this property it’ll be a serious missed opportunity.

Also, stoked to see the proposal for 19th & Callowhill lot.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Was their current spot near the firehouse in Old City?
701 Arch Street.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:22 PM

Well, we're a Roundhouse, a Fed screening facility, and a daycare center away from an empty block to develop.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:35 PM

Quote:
At least by the time I was an undergrad finance major in the eighties (also on my way to law school), we could study it as a sad, cautionary history. Apparently they don't teach history any more, so off we go repeating it.
We'll see. I'm the head of supply chain for a consumer products company. We manufacture our own product in Asia and the US. The prices of all of our inputs are decreasing at the moment in some cases quite precipitously. Other inputs are quickly declining as well. Containers that costed $25,000 to ship from China in Q4 and Q1 are back to $10K per container. There is virtually no backlog in the ports. This won't show up in federal data for a few more quarters. Because the ports are moving again, I don't need to own as much inventory because my lead times have gone from 6 months (due to prior 3 month transit time) back to 3-4 months (because transit times are down to 4-5 weeks).

The only thing that continues to go up at the moment is industrial rents (i.e. warehousing). Personally, I'm managing that by cutting my footprint and I expect I'm ahead of the curve. We pulled back on our manufacturing before others so I'm not in an overstock situation. Others are grabbing space because they have nowhere to store all the crap they've bought but my inventory is down 50% YTD. So I'm subletting space to get it off my balance sheet. It's easy to do now because there are a lot of tenants in the market, but I suspect that too will loosen up by middle of next year.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
We'll see. I'm the head of supply chain for a consumer products company. We manufacture our own product in Asia and the US. The prices of all of our inputs are decreasing at the moment in some cases quite precipitously. Other inputs are quickly declining as well. Containers that costed $25,000 to ship from China in Q4 and Q1 are back to $10K per container. There is virtually no backlog in the ports. This won't show up in federal data for a few more quarters.

The only thing that continues to go up at the moment is industrial rents (i.e. warehousing). Personally, I'm managing that by cutting my footprint and I expect I'm ahead of the curve. We pulled back on our manufacturing before others so I'm not in an overstock situation. Others are grabbing space because they have nowhere to store all the crap they've bought but my inventory is down 50% YTD. So I'm subletting space to get it off my balance sheet. It's easy to do now because there are a lot of tenants in the market, but I suspect that too will loosen up by middle of next year.
This is great to hear. Fingers crossed. I never underestimate the government's ability to screw up a recovery.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
This is great to hear. Fingers crossed. I never underestimate the government's ability to screw up a recovery.
I hear you. TBH, I think the Fed should pause on the interest rate increases and let things play out a bit longer from the previous increases. My data tells me they're working so there's a possibility they over-correct.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Interesting to hear that plans were changed, because it really is incredible that the current layout was ever thought to be a good idea by anyone.
I think this was what I was remembering:

https://www.pahighways.com/interstates/I676.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development