HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
What is not even considered in your post is the fact that across the blue line there’s a commercial strip on Pembina with loads of amenities as well. The stores on Plaza have an Indian, Persian, Chinese, and Korean grocers. I would have no problem letting my kids walk to those stores as long as they don’t cross Pembina.
That's a big "as long as". That whole area is ridiculous. Lots of density, lots of stores and amenities, right near a long bikeway, should be a highly urban and pedestrian rich area.

But because of Pembina's giant stroad design with few crossings (even at intersections like Plaza where one side of the intersection is a no-crossing area), slip lanes off/to Bishop, etc, it's an unsafe, hostile place for pedestrians.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:10 PM

The east side of the Refinery thing looks half decent. The rest is just typical asphalt parking lots.

Pembina and Bishop is most definitely not a pedestrian oriented space. It's an interchange.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:14 PM

It was supposed to be a retail power centre at first, then when that failed they just turned it into an office/residential power centre with pretty well the same site plan. I'm sure it will look nice at first, but I doubt it will age well.

Interesting thing is that there is a lot of foot traffic in that area of Pembina from roughly Bison to Chevrier. Lots of students and new Canadians in the apartments. But unfortunately the pedestrian environment is abysmal, even though there amenities accessible by foot making it technically walkable.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:21 PM

There was a plan for an AT bridge at Pembina/Bishop. That is on hold now pending funding or something. IIRC it was over Pembina at the east side by the bus loop. So doesn't do much for foot traffic along Pembina.

There is the AT bridge along the transitway, but is somewhat separated from Pembina.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There was a plan for an AT bridge at Pembina/Bishop. That is on hold now pending funding or something. IIRC it was over Pembina at the east side by the bus loop. So doesn't do much for foot traffic along Pembina.

There is the AT bridge along the transitway, but is somewhat separated from Pembina.
That AT bridge would be huge... right now, crossing Pembina at the AT trail is a) slow (it can take over 5 minutes waiting for the multiple lights to change and then crossing), b) dangerous (particularly for the very young and old) c) inconvenient. It would be a game changer for foot/bike traffic in the area for sure.

On a related note, I always thought the EB Fort Garry Bridge has such a wide shoulder that could be put to better use as a cycling lane. The shared AT path on that bridge can get quite busy at times with cyclists and pedestrians mixing and it can get a bit dodgy.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
On a related note, I always thought the EB Fort Garry Bridge has such a wide shoulder that could be put to better use as a cycling lane. The shared AT path on that bridge can get quite busy at times with cyclists and pedestrians mixing and it can get a bit dodgy.
I've thought the same thing. My two reasons ive speculated for the wide shoulders are changes the design standards making it required, although I don't think the WB side does. It is one of the newer bridges in the city as sad as that is.

The other thought is they built the bridge to be expandable to 3 lanes EB when it is needed and rather than reconstruct a vehicular bridge, all they need to do is build an AT bridge and take away the sidewalk.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:35 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Saw this in my LinkedIn news feed.

Exciting things are happening at 175-185 Carlton Street after its acquisition by Alston Properties. The property is being redeveloped into a mixed-use complex with the addition of 35 new apartment units on the 175 Carlton side. All of the building’s common areas are undergoing a major upgrade in addition to planned improvements to the building’s façade. Two of the five floors of office space in 185 Carlton Street have been leased while 3 more floors of 7,314 square feet each remain available. There is also up to 1,800 square feet of prime retail space available on the main floor.

For more information on how you can join Downtown Winnipeg’s newest mixed-use project, please click on the link to our leasing brochure.
LINK: https://lnkd.in/g8MQpzZq

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 10:58 PM

^ Unless that rendering reflects actual new LED lighting onto the outlines of the structure, it’s still just gonna look like the ugly cookie-cutter brutalist poop it is. That said, glad it’s being redeveloped into something that’ll hopefully add more feet to the street downtown.

Edit : Actually clicked the link after spouting my off-cuff opinion and yes, it will be lit. Nice.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Main st or Exchange District? I dont see it on commercial MLS
Both
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...treet-winnipeg

https://www.remax.ca/commercial/mb/w...-202219163-lst
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...venue-winnipeg

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

From the WFP

Johnny Giannakis, owner of Johnny G’s, says the plan for his 177 McDermot Ave. bar — and Wee Johnny’s Irish Pub, the downstairs comedy club — is to continue as is under new ownership, he said.

“Everything is normal,” he said. “Everything is good, the same.”

Giannakis declined to reveal why the more than 35-year-old Exchange District establishment is for sale. The roughly 3,700-square-foot spot is listed at nearly $1.4 million.

“Nothing changes,” Giannakis said, adding neither Johnny G’s nor Wee Johnny’s will close while on the market.

He plans to keep running the Johnny G’s Main Street location, he said.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
^ Unless that rendering reflects actual new LED lighting onto the outlines of the structure, it’s still just gonna look like the ugly cookie-cutter brutalist poop it is. That said, glad it’s being redeveloped into something that’ll hopefully add more feet to the street downtown.

Edit : Actually clicked the link after spouting my off-cuff opinion and yes, it will be lit. Nice.
There's really nothing particularly wrong with this building. The real insult to the streetscape is the convention centre across the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8893...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:33 PM

^ Speaking of, I notice they are recladding the skywalks leading to and from the Convention Centre, getting rid of the heavy 70s aggregate style and replacing it with glass.

I didn't mind the old look but I guess this freshens things up a bit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
There's really nothing particularly wrong with this building. The real insult to the streetscape is the convention centre across the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8893...7i13312!8i6656
I’m just not a fan of that brutalist square-lego-block-window style that is prevalent all over downtown, that’s all.

Full agreement on the WCC, I worked on that job for a short time and it was not fun.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 3:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
^ Speaking of, I notice they are recladding the skywalks leading to and from the Convention Centre, getting rid of the heavy 70s aggregate style and replacing it with glass.

I didn't mind the old look but I guess this freshens things up a bit.
I believe the envelopes on those skywalks had passed the end of their life and are thus being replaced now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:23 PM

I can't believe it personally, but I guess I'm not surprised given it's a new-build and priced appropriately, but the SOHO Flats at Logan and Princess is essentially sold out according to an Instagram post by mayoral candidate Rick Shone. That's quite the vote of confidence for that location IMO

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I can't believe it personally, but I guess I'm not surprised given it's a new-build and priced appropriately, but the SOHO Flats at Logan and Princess is essentially sold out according to an Instagram post by mayoral candidate Rick Shone. That's quite the vote of confidence for that location IMO
Rentals right?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Rentals right?
yep. seems to be what's doing the trick with incrementally getting people downtown.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 9:08 PM

Walked by the Fairmont today and the forecourt area is looking very tired for what is supposedly a luxury hotel, especially now that the neighbouring Richardson Building's plaza has been fixed up. I wonder if there are still plans to improve it along the lines of what we saw in some renderings posted here a few years ago?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
That says a lot more about the state of rentals in Winnipeg to me lol -- those blocks are basically entirely light industrial. Only thing there that isn't is Siloam Mission, a block away. Like I consider myself a pretty progressive dude who wants to live downtown but even I would want nothing to do with that location. These apartments were a decent penny too, last I checked.

The city should be doing all they can to encourage apartment developments downtown at the moment. Too many open lots begging to be filled and I can't imagine demand for housing can get a lot higher than it already is. If people will pay $1200 a month for a one bedroom across the street from a homeless shelter on Logan, developers should have no problem printing money with new builds on Donald, Graham, by Shaw Park, etc

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Walked by the Fairmont today and the forecourt area is looking very tired for what is supposedly a luxury hotel, especially now that the neighbouring Richardson Building's plaza has been fixed up. I wonder if there are still plans to improve it along the lines of what we saw in some renderings posted here a few years ago?
Do you mean their front parking lot? The Fairmont's a dump. An overhaul is long overdue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan