HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Project cancellations or delays seem to be pretty common everywhere:

https://www.enr.com/articles/50527-a...to-coronavirus

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...udget-and-late

https://www.projectsmart.co.uk/sched...inish-late.php

Guess the entire planet is "pathetic" by your definition.
These projects were announced back when Covid was still swimming in a petri dish back in Wuhan.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 7:28 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Just another abandoned project, like the Pantages Theatre, Marketlands, Keewatin building, Railside etc etc... It's pathetic.
I can’t recall what the Keewatin Building is but all these others are moving forward, including BMO. This is by far the most difficult time to do development in the last 20 years. Patience will be needed.

BMO is in design. It takes some time to program a project like that. It’s an entirely new series of uses.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I can’t recall what the Keewatin Building is but all these others are moving forward, including BMO. This is by far the most difficult time to do development in the last 20 years. Patience will be needed.

BMO is in design. It takes some time to program a project like that. It’s an entirely new series of uses.
I stand corrected. Keewatin is the one that burned near P&M (was slated to be a hotel). Do you have any inside info on the Pantages?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. Keewatin is the one that burned near P&M (was slated to be a hotel). Do you have any inside info on the Pantages?
138 Portage Ave. East, the Keewayden Block has a new ownership group as of late 2021 with the desire to develop.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 9, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Pantages ownership Futuremark is developing this property.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:15 AM
surely you agree with me

The City just put up a giant bus shelter across from the new building going up at Donald and St Mary’s.

I totally understand that just moving homeless people doesn’t solve the problem but is it a good idea to invite more of it? You’d think the city would pause building new downtown bus shelters until a solution is found to people living in them.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 12:49 PM

You would think...I would think...them...not so much.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The City just put up a giant bus shelter across from the new building going up at Donald and St Mary’s.

I totally understand that just moving homeless people doesn’t solve the problem but is it a good idea to invite more of it? You’d think the city would pause building new downtown bus shelters until a solution is found to people living in them.
Invite more of it? Adding a bus shack doesn't add more homelessness. Maybe makes it more visible sure.

I don't think we should stop improving transit infrastructure indefinitely until some arbitrary time where homelessness is better managed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Invite more of it? Adding a bus shack doesn't add more homelessness. Maybe makes it more visible sure.

I don't think we should stop improving transit infrastructure indefinitely until some arbitrary time where homelessness is better managed.
That's the issue though, we're at a point where shelters are no longer transit infrastructure. Transit might pay for them, but that isn't what they're being used for.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 4:47 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post

yeah, It's tough. I agree of course, but are downtown bus shelters really transit infrastructure anymore? They might do more to deter people from using transit at this point. I know a few women who have stopped taking the bus to work because they are afraid to stand at their stop now.

It's hard to just ignore. When I saw that shelter going up, all I could think was what it will look like in the near future. It's not a matter of if, but when. It struck me because I know the personal investment this developer has made and the struggle it has been to make a building work in downtown. The challenges he will face to lease the homes and make the ground floor space and sidewalk patio inviting for patrons is represented in that seemingly innocuous bus shelter going up.

I totally understand that not allowing people to live in bus shelters is not solving the problem, but what are we doing instead to solve the problem? I don't see much initiative being taken.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 5:34 PM

It is a false dichotomy. Not inviting/permitting the habitation of bus shelters does not deny the need for safe shelter overall. However, permitting this behavior, either explicitly or by default/inaction does have extraordinary negative impact on every element of our community. The city, in fact, explicitly allowed this to continue, believing it was a safe alternative to shelters. The erection of this new shelter, without much cynicism, could be seen as continuation of this terrible policy. Seeing 6-10 people regularly packed into these shelters -no argument could be made that safety is achieved. And a developer like on Donald, or P3 on Portage (with a shelter directly in front) would have to think long and hard about investing in projects.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 6:12 PM

It's not that these bus shacks become usable again the moment people sheltering in them walk out. Normally there is a considerable amount of garbage left behind including food scraps, urine, etc. They stink to high heaven in the summer heat. So a lot of the bus shacks, particularly in the downtown/inner city, but increasingly all over Winnipeg, are not really usable by the people they are intended for on anything other than maybe a sporadic basis.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 8:07 PM

Transit police need to be a thing and they need to patrol and evict the scuzz from the shacks multiple times daily, end of story.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Transit police need to be a thing and they need to patrol and evict the scuzz from the shacks multiple times daily, end of story.
Could not agree more.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:45 AM

The bus shelter on Donald & St Mary Ave was one of the many new planned heated bus shelters scheduled to be added around the city as part of the Transit Master Plan line re-org. The wiring went in last year as part of the Donald reconstruction. At the time I was thrilled at the prospect of a heated shelter there. Now, I hope the city doesn't even install walls until they put a stop to Main Street Project shuttling people around and delivering them to shelters for the day.

Transit should NOT be shouldering the cost and work of cleaning the shelters daily or policing them out of their budget/staff. Nor should we have to avoid every bus shack - let alone tear them down - because MSP is exploiting a city dept (Transit) for free shelters without city permission.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 3:36 AM
surely you agree with me

Holy crap. How is that not known?!

I agree it looks awesome right now. The street has been narrowed with a nice space for the bus stop and shelter. But there doesn’t seem to be much question it will be a prime location to live in. Especially if it’s heated.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 1:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Strange about the MSP shuttling the homeless around...when I drive by the bus shacks on Bishop at St Vital Centre around 6:15 am (M to F), there is only one person sleeping in the shack on the NW corner of St Marys. In the afternoon I have seen it frequently full of people drinking and hanging out. Seems to line up with the MSP info.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 2:39 PM

We don't so much need "Transit Police" to be routinely in each shelter, every day, Rather we need more of a social worker specializing in homelessness with some limited policing authority. Now say it is common knowledge a shelter is going to be patrolled at most every 90 minutes that could be a disincentive to people.

Also it is time to make all the transit shelters a fare paid zone. Not sure much fares are collected before you use the shelter but if a transit employee comes along you both need to have the ability to pay your fare and be willing to get on the next bus for your route. So if you say are in a shelter, you have fare payment and are waiting for the 11 bus when that bus shows up you are either getting on the bus or are treated as trespassing. The professional training of the transit worker monitoring the shelter would then call in MSP, paramedics, a supervisor or police to assist with the current situation.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 4:30 PM

From CBC news today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nion-1.6515482

Transit stations of all kinds, in many, many cities, are suffering the same problems as we see in Winnipeg. There was a similar article a couple of months ago about LRT stations in Edmonton being hubs for drug use. Addictions and homelessness are widespread social problems that don't get solved by pulling down bus shelters or, in a forum like this, parroting the same old tired cliche that it's a "Winnipeg" thing. I would think we need a concerted national effort, led by the Feds and bought into by municipalities, to address these issues.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 13, 2022, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
From CBC news today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nion-1.6515482

Transit stations of all kinds, in many, many cities, are suffering the same problems as we see in Winnipeg. There was a similar article a couple of months ago about LRT stations in Edmonton being hubs for drug use. Addictions and homelessness are widespread social problems that don't get solved by pulling down bus shelters or, in a forum like this, parroting the same old tired cliche that it's a "Winnipeg" thing. I would think we need a concerted national effort, led by the Feds and bought into by municipalities, to address these issues.
But I thought crime, homelessness, and addictions were exclusively a Winnipeg-only issue? Isn't everywhere else perfect?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan