HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before, but I was just at the Mayor's state of the City address and he announced a $50m fund for affordable housing downtown. They hope for this to create approx 1,500 new units downtown.
I'm assuming this will be used to fund more "Tax Increment Financing", which the way it's used in Winnipeg drives me nuts!

1. My understanding of the way most other places use TIF is that they are a method for a government to finance its own projects - e.g. if Winnipeg wanted a big Broadway renewal they would use the projected future tax revenue to finance the project. It doesn't have anything to do with giving the money to private developers.

2. The way Winnipeg does it is called a Tax Increment Based Grant (at least in Ontario) - don't get me wrong, I think it's a valid tool too, just use the correct terminology!

3. Why does the city have to "fund" their TIF? If they're granting back the money based on increased property taxes, shouldn't the program just be paying for itself?

4. We should use a permanent TIBG to finance restoration and preservation of heritage buildings. Maybe a really robust program like this would turn the mindset from "oh no, my building might be added to the heritage list" to "oh sweet, I can access this funding if my building is added to the heritage list".

Old Posted Jun 9, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Good news. The only way that works however is if it isn't all in one place. Those funds should be delegated into builds such as TV's project at Colony and Broadway. 185 Smith perfectly demonstrates how that model is outdated, does not work, and should remain in the past. And there are many others like 185 still in operation. The result is rarely, if ever, good.
yes, should be scattered throughout, and ideally part of mixed-use. The last thing we need is another failure like what happened at Central Park.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:21 PM

Lots of work going on at the new Payworks HQ in South Pointe.
Will incentivize further retail services developing in the immediate area.

https://janicelukes.ca/blog/payworks...-south-pointe/

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 4:48 PM

Should be downtown.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
Should be downtown.
why it's private enterprise, they can locate where they want. they listened to their employees, majority lived in the south Wpg area, majority wanted a short commute, majority didn't want to pay $15/day in parking, majority didnt want to stand in pouring rain or heat from sun as the bus shelter is occupied.

don't like it, don't work for them! own a business, don't use their services!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 6:14 PM

Awwww, plenty of others in line for their jobs.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 7:26 PM
surely you agree with me

Agreed. Should be downtown. Never mind corporate identity, just the environmental impact is a good enough reason. A company full of young people. Forcing them to drive to work. Forcing them to drive to lunch. Exacerbating suburban sprawl. The environmental footprint of that company is brutal.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Agreed. Should be downtown. Never mind corporate identity, just the environmental impact is a good enough reason. A company full of young people. Forcing them to drive to work. Forcing them to drive to lunch. Exacerbating suburban sprawl. The environmental footprint of that company is brutal.
No one is forcing them they choose to work there and I bet most probably prefer working there then in downtown with the current abysmal shape its in and the terrible bus shack situation

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 7:44 PM

What's with everyone and bus shacks today?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
What's with everyone and bus shacks today?
Very visible sign of urban disorder and decline, and topical due to council's decision.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:37 PM

Not that Payworks HAS to concern itself with the well being of downtown, but by turning their back (and developing on that property) they are part of the problem,rather than being part of the solution. The corporate mentality needs a shift to recognize how critical it is to consider downtown first. For that matter, the City and Province needs to communicate this to the corporate community, and help create the right environment to make it happen. Eventually, it there would be real demand and desire to locate DT. Its too bad...that project would look nice on one of the empty lots.
BTW...on the subject of BRT and Portage ave...In Salt Lake City,their LRT runs down the BLVD of the main artery. Always thought that would be an interesting solution on Portage ave,

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 8:45 PM

For what it's worth Payworks is not a net loss to downtown as their current office is on Waverley in Linden Woods.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:10 PM

Certainly...it is not a net loss...but its not a net gain either!
I'm not sure anymore which is the chicken and which is the egg. Does the environment for change need to happen before there is a change of attitude/perspective...or vice versa? For that matter...probably needs to happen at the same time.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 9:49 PM

If business leaders do not step up and contribute to our downtown, what hope is there?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 10:00 PM

If downtown wants to attract suburban business offices maybe it should put some effort into cleaning up vagrancy bus shack shanties and downtown drug deals cough cough air Canada park to help make potential employees feel safe and welcome.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2022, 11:53 PM

Unpopular opinion around these parts: Winnipeg has the highest percentage of office space located in its downtown area (71%), compared to all other major Canadian cities so it is okay if we have the occasional office development outside of downtown. Not everything can/should be downtown.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 1:46 AM

I'm certain the culture at Payworks is largely of the "why would I walk when I can drive?" variety, and I don't think they find downtown appealing to live or work in by any stretch. These are people who aspire to a McMansion or new condo in a suburb poor people can't reach, and a luxury SUV for every family member. The only time you'll see someone from Payworks downtown is for a Jets game.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 7:42 AM

Yeah, locating in the suburbs won't slow Payworks down. The real baffling case is a company like Bold locating in the suburbs. That would disqualify them for me as either a prospective employee or client.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2022, 1:21 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

825 sherbrook?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan