HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:35 PM

^ Ten times more of these sorts of towers please.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
The renderings on the architect's website appear to reflect the darker tones.

http://www.roszak.com/#/160-n-elizabeth/
Thanks for link. The orange feels dangerously close to some 70s/80s styles for me. I'm sure it will turn out all right though.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Just APPROVED by the plan commission with several commissioners praising the design.

street level looks very cool

from a distance the total design looks very mies van der rohe - reminds me of 860 lake shore drive and the Illinois Center

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:03 PM
Chicago

Cassidy Tire and Service Demolition - 344 N Canal

May 26, 2022

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:04 PM
Chicago

160 N Elizabeth

May 26, 2022

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:04 PM
Chicago

1044 W Van Buren

May 26, 2022

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 6:05 PM
Chicago

210 N Aberdeen

May 26, 2022

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
May 26, 2022

Some beautiful timber beams. Still looking as straight as the day the building was built 120 years ago.

Interesting contrast in approach to 210 Aberdeen also photo'd by Solar

Quote:
The Arthur Harris parcel will transform into a luxury 21-story building with 414 units and 10,000 square feet of retail. This project includes the adaptive reuse of a historic bow truss building encompassing 35’ ceilings from the turn of the century whose vintage feel cannot be replicated.
Quote:
The Arthur Harris building is home to a steel float manufacturing company that has been operating over 100 years. We are excited to be celebrating the history of this unique space in our new development.
via https://lg-group.com/project/210-aberdeen/

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 10:49 AM
Chicago

Arthur Harris Building - 210 N Aberdeen

May 19, 2022

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
May 19, 2022

Thanks for these. I'm looking forward to any renderings by LG of how they're going to adapt that space.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:29 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Just APPROVED by the plan commission with several commissioners praising the design.

The tower is indeed fantastic, but this would be so much better without the fultonized base. Just an honest, cohesive expression carried down to sidewalk. Hopefully a revision of the guidelines that are forcing architects to base-fultonization is indeed in the works.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:02 AM

What does fultonization mean?

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
What does fultonization mean?
Zoning Criteria 17-8-905
-Building facades at pedestrian level should be appropriately scaled within the context of the existing streetscape.

So the masonry facade of floors 1-4 topped by the upper floor steel and glass tower.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:08 PM

Quote:
May 26, 2022

This city is fucking pathetic. They aren't even deconstructing this to save the materials, they are just tearing it down.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This city is fucking pathetic. They aren't even deconstructing this to save the materials, they are just tearing it down.
Yeah, at least I would hope the developer would salvage a few of the materials and incorporate them into the new structure but I doubt they will. That would take an extremely low amount of effort I imagine.

Maybe such a mandate could be a middle ground between full historical landmarking and complete demolition.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:02 AM

Well seeing as the interiors are old timber construction and the new structure would need to support parking as well as the new tower above. The only thing you'd really be able to salvage is the façade. I've said it on here before but the freedom of starting from scratch verses partial demo and incorporating refurbished existing structures into a new design is adds a lot more time effort and money both during the design stages all the way through construction. I'm sure it was discussed. The developer would need to think the extra time and money was worth it. For this I guess they didn't.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Well seeing as the interiors are old timber construction and the new structure would need to support parking as well as the new tower above. The only thing you'd really be able to salvage is the façade. I've said it on here before but the freedom of starting from scratch verses partial demo and incorporating refurbished existing structures into a new design is adds a lot more time effort and money both during the design stages all the way through construction. I'm sure it was discussed. The developer would need to think the extra time and money was worth it. For this I guess they didn't.
Yeah, I was thinking something fairly low effort like incorporating some of the timber beams into the interior/lobby, along with some of the facade. It's difficult to believe that that would be overly costly. But I'm not in the industry so I don't know.

Some of the Garrick theater's facade at Second City comes to mind. Or some of the equipment that was preserved and incorporated into the interior at the Old Post Office.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 6:44 PM

It would be difficult to coordinate a facadectomy due to the height and scale. The bracing to shore it would have a large footprint that would flare out over the street. Bracing from the interior would require floors be poured or built between bracing resulting in a slow, complicated and tedious effort.

This building only had a future as a renovation as-is or total demolition. A developer saw this lot more valuable as a residential tower apparently.

I do agree at least a deconstruction be a concession to save heavy timbers, even if that route is more costly.

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
It would be difficult to coordinate a facadectomy due to the height and scale. The bracing to shore it would have a large footprint that would flare out over the street. Bracing from the interior would require floors be poured or built between bracing resulting in a slow, complicated and tedious effort.

This building only had a future as a renovation as-is or total demolition. A developer saw this lot more valuable as a residential tower apparently.

I do agree at least a deconstruction be a concession to save heavy timbers, even if that route is more costly.

Agree

You can't get those old growth timbers anymore from nature. They will only become even more rare when most of all of the old barns across the country get taken down or rot out.

To bad we are a disposable society. I know guys selling beams like that for 2k each. They will cost Much more in the future.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 3:35 AM

They could have left the building as is, converting it to lofts, and built something next on the parking lot. If this city had any balls they would have required that.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations