HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 8:46 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
They are raising the Crane today at Skye on 6th. Up to the 15th floor, 11 to go!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clayco/skyeon6thphoenix
Drove by on I-10 through downtown yesterday and the Sky crane looks like it's at about the height that the tower will eventually be. It's going to look pretty good driving west into the tunnel on I-10. Moon Tower is also now fairly visible as well.

With both of these and Link 1 & 2, I love how the towers are steadily approaching I-10. I've always thought this was kind of a week spot for driving through our downtown on a major interstate. You really can't see any towers except from a couple miles out.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 9:35 PM

Rivulet Media to develop mixed-use project at iconic Union Station in downtown Phoeni

Finally some updates regarding Union Station!! Soooo does this mean the building won't be used for Amtrak?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-station.html
Quote:
Aaron Klusman has big plans for the iconic Union Station in downtown Phoenix.

The co-founder, chairman and CEO of Gilbert-based Rivulet Media Inc. plans to move the company headquarters to the former train station at 401 W. Harrison St., and develop a mixed-use project that will include a production studio, residential tower, boutique hotel and office space on 10 acres.

According to Vizzda LLC real estate database, Klusman paid $4 million to Spring Communications LP for the 30,267-square-foot Union Station building that was built in 1923.

There are two telecommunication towers on the 7.34-acre site, located within an opportunity zone south of the southwest corner of Third Avenue and Jefferson Street, according to Vizzda. The property also includes the iconic Icehouse, an arts and entertainment venue.

Phoenix Union Station, which is nearing its 100th birthday, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Renovations are beginning on the project, with the first phase expected to be completed between fall 2022 and spring 2023.

Klusman said it's too soon to determine the number of residential units that will built, as well as how many square feet will be dedicated to the production studio and headquarters.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 9:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Finally some updates regarding Union Station!! No mention of plans for the future of the actual Union Station...hopefully more details to come later.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-station.html

That looks fantastic!

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:44 AM
Skyriser

Man, who edited that article? Two glaring mistakes in a short blurb.

I don't doubt what the guy behind this company has done before but their penny stock business is by nature sketchy as hell. I would be very skeptical of this.

I do hope they keep this publicly accessible so it can be used as a train station.

Strange the icehouse sold too... I never thought the owners would give it up, but I suppose without the raves they had in the early 2000s and events drying up and not appreciably near the entertainment core they finally had to divest.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:43 PM
them bones

I realize it's just a placeholder, but wow is that tower awful.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 3:59 PM

Boo. I'm okay with waiting 5 more years until there is more of a population in that area and having something cool like an indoor market or Churchill type experience that's open to the public and not some office space.

The Ferry Building in San Francisco is a good example of what this space could be. Maybe the permanent home of Phoenix Public Market with both long-term leases and weekly leases for vendors.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 5:09 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
I realize it's just a placeholder, but wow is that tower awful.
Another reason I'm skeptical of this. An actual architect wouldn't be that full of himself to put a gynormous boiling hot metal panel on an otherwise functioning balcony.

An actual developer wouldn't waste money on a "placeholder" tower rendering. This is a level of fantasy that would make all those condomania fly-by-nighters ashamed.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 4:40 PM

Phoenix Considering Downtown Entertainment District

Well, 2nd time...errr 3rd time is the charm? I just hope the conversations regarding the future of South Building kick back up and incorporate it into the "entertainment district".

https://azbex.com/local-news/phoenix...ment-district/
Quote:
Looking to capitalize on pent-up pandemic demand and highlight the Phoenix Convention Center in association with other downtown amenities, the Phoenix Economic Development and Equity Subcommittee last week discussed the possibility of establishing a downtown entertainment district.

Staff drew inspiration from existing areas like the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego, Sixth Street in Austin and Honky Tonk Highway in Nashville.

The original discussions began in early 2020 with a sports and leisure study by the Phoenix Convention Center, which found most convention centers do not have a tie-in with area nightlife and events that make them part of a cross-marketable hub.

Supporters on the Subcommittee pointed out downtown Phoenix has a vibrant sports scene in close proximity to the convention center, which has been a contributing factor to success in Austin and San Diego.

Community and Economic Development Director Christine Mackay said a dedicated entertainment district would enable cohesive marketing, aesthetics and branding opportunities throughout the area. If the idea moves forward, the City will work will tourism and downtown booster organizations to develop and incorporate ideas.

A key factor in establishing a dedicated entertainment district is establishing an exemption from state law that bans some alcohol sales within set distances from churches and schools. Several smaller districts, such as Roosevelt Row, have such distinctions in place.

The Phoenix Convention Center is expected to release an update to its 2020 survey soon, and the entertainment district and other downtown development ideas will be brought up again in this week’s Subcommittee meeting.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 5:14 PM

Cities are so lame, it already has an entertainment district, Roosevelt row.

stop trying to make a "new one"

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:33 PM

Roosevelt should be it’s own thing separate from an entertainment district. Roosevelt Row is also several blocks from Chase Field and Footprint. The City has a great opportunity transforming the south convention center building.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:52 PM
Modulator

Hmm. I seem to remember Hines pitching this idea a few years ago when they were in the planning phase for Adeline and I distinctly remember the City of Phoenix saying something like "not so fast".

Now that Tempe is working on the Coyotes Entertainment District...which we all know Phoenix is miffed about...they suddenly want to bring this up again? They should have taken up Hines's proposal (which was the 2nd time Phoenix slapped Hines in the face) and maybe even tried bringing the 'Yotes when they had the chance.

Lost opportunities.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 6:58 PM
Modulator

Also on a side note. It looks like the demo of the Phoenix Public Market and adjacent buildings on 1st St. may be happening soon. Crews are onsite today, doing minor interior work and setting up fencing.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Hmm. I seem to remember Hines pitching this idea a few years ago when they were in the planning phase for Adeline and I distinctly remember the City of Phoenix saying something like "not so fast".

Now that Tempe is working on the Coyotes Entertainment District...which we all know Phoenix is miffed about...they suddenly want to bring this up again? They should have taken up Hines's proposal (which was the 2nd time Phoenix slapped Hines in the face) and maybe even tried bringing the 'Yotes when they had the chance.

Lost opportunities.
Right. I think it was the area from 3rd St and Monroe and all the way down to Washington. Missed opportunity for sure

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:21 PM

The City of phoenix has really left a lot to be desired when it comes to downtown.

They see much more concerned with developing the Northern edges of town up at Desert Ridge and Deer Valley, most of what has gone on downtown has happened despite the cities lack of interest and lack of effort.

Of all of the projects the city has subsidized, of all the companies that have moved here they couldn't get just one to be the flagship tenant on a new or remodeled office building? Not a single one?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The City of phoenix has really left a lot to be desired when it comes to downtown.

They see much more concerned with developing the Northern edges of town up at Desert Ridge and Deer Valley, most of what has gone on downtown has happened despite the cities lack of interest and lack of effort.

Of all of the projects the city has subsidized, of all the companies that have moved here they couldn't get just one to be the flagship tenant on a new or remodeled office building? Not a single one?
Agree that CoP should be highly encouraging (tax breaks) the revitalization of Chase Tower in some way to make it happen. Tallest and most iconic building needs to be economically viable DT. The proposed remodel is stunning and City should make it happen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:22 PM

In unrelated news, has anyone seen the remodel of the old Easley's Costume Shop on McDowell? I drove by it earlier and wasn't able to get a photo, but it looks really good imo.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:22 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Agree that CoP should be highly encouraging (tax breaks) the revitalization of Chase Tower in some way to make it happen. Tallest and most iconic building needs to be economically viable DT. The proposed remodel is stunning and City should make it happen.
Why do all that when this is the doomed fate of Chase Tower?

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
In unrelated news, has anyone seen the remodel of the old Easley's Costume Shop on McDowell? I drove by it earlier and wasn't able to get a photo, but it looks really good imo.
That's where the new brewery, Roses by the Stairs, is going in

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:42 PM
Skyriser

Retail follows rooftops. Downtown has been the center of a very poor area of town when you look at 1 and 5 mile income radiuses from any given spot. Local boutiques might be a little bit more nimble, but larger chains are much more keen to better raw data.

It also takes the right kinds of spaces and development partners to reposition a building. The two strip centers on 7th Ave and McDowell gentrified almost overnight for example.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Why do all that when this is the doomed fate of Chase Tower?

Video Link
This Made-For-TV movie is another gem where Chase Tower is destroyed, even asteroids don't want it

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest