HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:46 AM

La Gloria chef Johnny Hernandez shares sneak peek of new Southside San Antonio restaurant

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...-Editors-Picks

La Gloria will soon extend to the Southside. The San Antonio chain of Mexican street food restaurants by lauded Chef Johnny Hernandez is adding a restaurant at Brooks. Though an opening date has not been set, Hernandez says online that the third La Gloria is opening "soon."

Hernandez was hesitant about a giving a hard date, telling MySA the opening is still a "moving target," but shared multiple sets of photos showing the interior of the building on Facebook. In his latest post, the chef-owner says La Gloria at Brooks is opening "soon" and the restaurant is hiring.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:48 AM

Vacant San Antonio staple Picante Grill turning into new Irish Pub, The Cottage

For more than 20 years, Gonzalo Pozo's Picante Grill served smoky-flavored fajitas that gained the notoriety of Texas Monthly's top Mexican food guide. Even after the restaurant closed in 2018, the Picante Grill's presence lingered like the smell of a sizzling fajita skillet with signs looming over Broadway advertising "beyond the border flavor."

Now after four years, the emptied spot across from the Witte Museum is readying to welcome a new crowd.

While the last enchilada plate at Picante Grill has been served, what's replacing the restaurant will also take customers over international borders.

While still taking shape, The Cottage Irish Pub looks like it was plucked from the Green Isle and plopped onto Broadway with fresh, white paint. "The Cottage" is spread across the Broadway-facing wall in bold lettering.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:54 PM

New bar in Northeast San Antonio open only to customers 30 and older

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...older-28763898

Horizons & More bills itself as a gathering place for the "grown and mature."

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 2:39 AM

‘It was all a dream’: With The Jerk Shack, Nicola Blaque brings Caribbean cuisine to San Antonio

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sa-inc/...e-17129057.php

At the top of a wall inside The Jerk Shack are five words spelled out in big, bright letters: “It was all a dream.”

The words are from the song by Notorious B.I.G. but they also tell the story of the restaurant’s origin. Nicola Blaque, owner and founder of the Caribbean restaurant, said she was inspired to open it by a vision received after a 2017 visit to Jamaica for the funeral of her aunt. While there, she ate “some of the best jerk chicken of my life.”

“I felt like, honestly, my aunt was talking to me from the grave,” Blaque said. “When I ate that jerk chicken, I was like, ‘This is what I need to be doing in San Antonio. I need to be paying homage to my heritage and using my chef’s skills to the best of my ability.’”

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 2:40 AM

California-based Round Table Pizza tosses first store in San Antonio

An iconic Westcoast pizza spot is officially opening its first South Texas location in San Antonio. Round Table Pizza is constructing a restaurant at the Park North Shopping Center, according to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).

The 2,378-square-foot building will be located at 842 NW Loop 410, Suite 110. According to the TDLR project details, the construction began on March 1 and is expected to be completed by June 1.

Round Table Pizza is remodeling the current suite space. The remodel is limited to the interior and includes the kitchen, storage, order and pick-up counter, seating, and restrooms, according to the TDLR filing.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 2:41 AM

Iguanas Burritozilla chain makes plans for first Texas store in San Antonio

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...P-CP-Spotlight

A longtime, family-owned burrito chain out of California that was once featured in Man v. Food for its giant burrito is beginning its Texas expansion in San Antonio. Igaunas Burritozilla is bringing its West Coast burritos and its culture to San Antonio, a place where the Orozco family feels they will fit right in.

Started in 1994 in San Jose, California by Paul Orozco, the burrito chain is now also run by his nephews and nieces Jimmy Orozco, Sammy Orozco, Felice Orozco, and Melissa Orozco-Ricardez. All are co-owners.

Old Posted May 1, 2022, 3:08 PM

Yea, well,

Sometimes Californians insert foreign objects into Burritos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Iguanas Burritozilla chain makes plans for first Texas store in San Antonio

A longtime, family-owned burrito chain out of California that was once featured in Man v. Food for its giant burrito is beginning its Texas expansion in San Antonio. Igaunas Burritozilla is bringing its West Coast burritos and its culture to San Antonio, a place where the Orozco family feels they will fit right in.

Started in 1994 in San Jose, California by Paul Orozco, the burrito chain is now also run by his nephews and nieces Jimmy Orozco, Sammy Orozco, Felice Orozco, and Melissa Orozco-Ricardez. All are co-owners.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 10:36 PM

New Southtown tapas restaurant and wine bar Hola! opens soon, complete with Sunday paella brunch

https://www.expressnews.com/food/res...a-17142150.php

Southtown will have a new destination for Spanish-style tapas and wine when Hola! opens May 12.

Chef and owner Rene Fernandez, who also owns Azuca Nuevo Latino in Southtown, said Hola! will feature small plates ranging from charred octopus and tuna poke to Ibérico ham and pan con tomate (bread with tomato), with a menu encompassing more than 30 varieties of tapas.

On Sundays, Fernandez plans to cook a massive pan of paella as part of brunch from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The wine list will feature labels from Spain, France, Italy, New Zealand, Argentina and the United States by the glass and by the bottle, along with sangria and craft beers on draft.

The space on South Alamo Street, just south of East César E. Chávez Boulevard and across the street from Italian restaurant Battalion, includes a cozy bar and dining room plus a broad patio with a view of the Tower of the Americas. Fernandez said the space used to house a computer repair shop and a florist.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 10:40 PM

Young San Antonio couple to open St. Paul Square coffee shop for vinyl lovers

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...o-17134515.php

There's a new coffee shop brewing in St. Paul Square, but the owners are no strangers to the Espee-adjacent neighborhood. Vice Coffee is the passion project of Vincent Guerrero and girlfriend Jonabelle Timms, the esthetician responsible for the Tik-Tok trendy Beauty Haus. The couple's second business is expected to open in early June of this year.

San Antonio's newest coffee hangout will be located on the first floor at St. Paul Square, just a stairwell away from Timms' beauty studio, which opened to great success in fall 2021. Guerrero, a vinyl lover with a background in coffee and bar tending, wants to make the shop something of a music lounge, with more developments to come down the road.

"I want to make it basically a one-stop-shop where I can go maybe grab a cup of coffee and while I'm there, browse and find a record that resonates with me and I don't have to leave to enjoy it," Guerrero shares. "I could just take a seat, sit down at a record listening station and get the full experience. For me I think that's the main point of this whole shop."

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:06 PM

San Antonio-based Whataburger plans $500k expansion to Alamo Quarry test kitchen

If you didn't know that Whataburger has a test kitchen here in San Antonio, you do now, especially as it plans to expand its facility near Alamo Quarry. Whataburger plans to expand the 6,137-square-foot test kitchen at 610 West Sunset Road, according to a recent construction permit filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

The project calls for renovations to the test kitchen and conversion of existing office space into an "equipment testing lab." It's not clear what exactly that equipment testing lab will include.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 7:49 PM

Tech Port Provisions introduces food hall experience to San Antonio's Southwest Side

Tech Port Provisions, Southwest San Antonio's first food hall, is open and ready to serve the public a smorgasbord of local eateries. There's comfort food from Earl Abel's, barbecue from Big Bib, Capo's pizza slices, and more all under the same roof that houses the just-opened Tech Port Center + Arena.

Old Posted May 7, 2022, 3:48 PM

San Antonio's The Rim shopping complex gaining two new fast-casual dining concepts

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...cepts-28828439

The Rim shopping center in Northwest San Antonio will soon welcome two new fast-casual dining concepts. Via 313 Pizzeria and fried chicken concept The Crack Shack have both inked leases there, the San Antonio Business Journal reports.

According to filings with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, construction on new locations of Austin-based Via 313 and San Diego-based Crack Shack will begin next month, the paper reports.

Both 2,500-square-foot projects are located at 17315 West Interstate 10, and both list construction costs of around $500,000, the TDLR filing states.

Via 313 started in 2011 as a single Austin food truck that offered thick-and thin-crust pizza. It’s since expanded into eight locations, including five in Austin, one in Cedar Park and two in Utah.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 7:30 PM

Restaurants’ patios now a big part of their business equation after COVID shifted dining outdoors — permanently

https://www.expressnews.com/food/res...d-17167969.php

This spring has brought record-high temperatures to San Antonio, a scorching climactic occurrence that, in years past, would have sent restaurant customers scurrying indoors into the icy embrace of air conditioning. But so far, restaurateurs across the city are finding their patio seating in far higher demand than ever.

Before the pandemic, patios were seen as a nice bonus option that might draw some business for a few months out of the year. But when there were strict occupancy limits for indoor dining rooms and customers were feeling more comfortable eating outdoors than inside, restaurant owners added patios or started beefing up the ones they had with more tables and better cooling and heating systems.

Maybe it’s a case of if you build it, they will come, but now you can find diners parked at an outdoor table at nearly any date on the calendar, and owners see patio dining as a permanent, year-round part of their business.

That’s led owners to invest even more heavily in improvements for their al fresco spots, and if you’re a property owner, good luck leasing it to a restaurateur if there isn’t some kind of outdoor space available.

The boom in outdoor dining has led to a few unexpected operational challenges. At The Hayden, Lampinstein now spends more than twice what he used to on ice. His one ice maker struggles to keep up with demand as margaritas and glasses of water sweat away outside, so he’s having to buy supplemental ice from a supplier and may soon add a second ice maker to keep up.

For restaurateur Dady, just making sure everyone has a seat has proven difficult on some days.

“The trickiest part of it is managing the reservations,” Dady said. “On a busy Saturday, we might have 200 reservations on the patio And if it rains, we don’t have anywhere to seat you inside because all those tables are booked as well. It’s important to have very good communication with customers about their reservations.”

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 2:40 AM

Near Dark, Southtown San Antonio's perfect bar for 'Frankenstein' fans

A new circuit of bars is stirring on South Presa Street. Padding longtime tenant The Haven at Southtown (otherwise known as Taco Haven) and a tattoo parlor, you'll find burgeoning "cool hangs," include Hands Down, the immediately popular pastel wine bar that debuted earlier this year, and newcomer Near Dark, a dimly lit parlor that advertises "classic cocktails" and an "alternative atmosphere."

These are more or less things that I enjoy. So, about a week after its opening, I coaxed two of my friends to join me in checking it out on a Thursday evening in old San Antonio.

"Let us pray for lost things. St. Anthony, pray for us," my friend declaimed with false piousness, pointing to the statue of the idol overhanging the liquor. Being Catholic school veterans conditioned to drop to our knees in times of trouble, we were amused.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:48 PM

San Antonio vegan food chain Project Pollo will appear on this Friday's Shark Tank season finale

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...inale-28921379

The restaurant chain's appearance follows a successful pitch earlier this year by a San Antonio doctor and inventor.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:53 PM

New easygoing bar Sojourn is taking over former downtown cocktail spot Juniper Tar

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...r-tar-28920400

Cocktailer Derik Cortez of Box Street Social and Mixtli is behind the new concept.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 4:36 PM

New downtown Menger Hotel restaurant Mengerita Tacos offers Alamo views, queso and margaritas

https://www.expressnews.com/food/res...t-17179854.php

Plenty of people watching at San Antonio’s oldest and most historic hotel in the heart of Alamo Plaza

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 12:47 PM

Mama Margie is a real San Antonio woman full of recipes, history, and warmth

Meet the mother San Antonio has trusted for years: The true Mama Margie

Since 1993, the smiling face of the cartoon Mama Margie has warmly welcomed San Antonians searching for a quick bite to start their day or rambunctious after-hours crowds in need of comfort food to end the night. The 89-cent bean and cheese signs of the early 2000s were like a "welcome home" sign on Military Drive and the free-for-all chips and salsa feel are like a symbolic push from the grandma who never thinks you've had enough to eat. Being around the true Mama Margie, real name Margarita Abonce, feels a lot like home, too.

Yes, she's real. The caricatures of "Mama Margie" have been a staple of San Antonio iconography, inspiring costumes and merchandise, since the 1990s. While the logo looks a lot like Abonce, it falls short in capturing the vibrant, 76-year-old that sits before me, sparkling and smiling in her Sunday best. Her drop earrings swing back-and-forth, emphasizing each of her laughs, and there are a lot as she introduces me to her daughter Claudia Silva and granddaughter Jocelyn Silva. Though her outfit is the complete opposite of the work attire she's wearing in the logo, her red lipstick-rimmed smile matches.

"I never leave the house without lipstick or my perfume," she tells me.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
San Antonio vegan food chain Project Pollo will appear on this Friday's Shark Tank season finale

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...inale-28921379

The restaurant chain's appearance follows a successful pitch earlier this year by a San Antonio doctor and inventor.

San Antonio-tied founders of Project Pollo and Aqua Boxing Glove fail to land Shark Tank deals

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...deals-28944292

Both San Antonio-linked entrepreneurs who appeared on Friday's season finale of Shark Tank failed to land deals with the long-running ABC show's panel of celebrity investors.

No Sharks bit on Lucas Bradbury's Alamo City-based vegan restaurant chain Project Pollo, flinching at the business' rapid growth — 100 stores by 2024 — and the founder's request for $2.5 million for a mere 5% stake in the company.

While several of the panelists liked the taste of Project Pollo's mock fried-chicken sandwich, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he worries customers will fly the coop for healthier vegan options.

The Sharks also decided it was too early to invest in former pro boxer and Texas A&M-San Antonio grad Tony Adeniran's Aqua Boxing Glove, which fills with water to add resistance during workouts. Even the finale's guest shark, comedian and boxing buff Kevin Hart, threw in the towel, saying he wouldn't put money into a product he couldn't see himself using.

Despite falling short with their pitches, both entrepreneurs were upbeat in their green room interviews, saying the show was a learning experience.

Bradbury added that he wasn't bothered when "Queen of QVC" Lori Greiner likened Project Pollo's brisk growth to a tornado. The restaurateur said he grew up in Kansas and was used to tornados.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 4:18 AM

Downtown's Elsewhere Garden Bar buys 6 acres in Northeast San Antonio for second location

https://www.sacurrent.com/food-drink...ation-28959046

The new spot will feature a 45-foot ferris wheel, a secret garden speakeasy and a greenhouse for weddings and events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio