HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:10 PM

One would think that, when looking at all the renderings we have seen on these pages, that new development would be fueling a boom in tree plantings. I guess all this time, those trees shown in renderings have been just for show? Maybe this bill will simply help keep developers more honest about their plans.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
The current owners of the lot bought it in 2017, and zoning permits were pulled in 2019. My guess would be that the current plan is dead, but who knows.
There was another sale in 2020. Someone paid 2.85 million cash for the lot. Over a million more than the previous sale in 2018. Seems like way too much and unclear what's happening here.

The address of the new buyer's LLC leads to a Jefferson Cardiology building at 18th and Oregon. So maybe medical offices in the future? It's unclear. The zoning is still CMX 2.5

Did some more digging. The people behind the LLC also own 1122-1130 E Passyunk across the street.

I would not expect anything to be built on this lot for a very long time unless the current owners sell.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 2:33 PM

Thats great about the tree bill.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
There was another sale in 2020. Someone paid 2.85 million cash for the lot. Over a million more than the previous sale in 2018. Seems like way too much and unclear what's happening here.

The address of the new buyer's LLC leads to a Jefferson Cardiology building at 18th and Oregon. So maybe medical offices in the future? It's unclear. The zoning is still CMX 2.5

Did some more digging. The people behind the LLC also own 1122-1130 E Passyunk across the street.

I would not expect anything to be built on this lot for a very long time unless the current owners sell.
A year ago the guy from the hardware store across the street told me a bank was going there but I have no idea how valuable that info is. It's certainly an eyesore that should be racking up L+I fines but for some reason doesn't. It's always covered in trash and illegal dumping. It should have to be fenced at a minimum.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20220517.html

- 600,000sqft of medical office buildings
- 205 senior living units
- 175-190 condos in the main college building
- boutique hotel in center of campus
- 600 apartment units along Lancaster Avenue
Seems like a very promising development that should continue to strengthen the City Avenue corridor. I've long said this stretch could be so much more built up and walkable than it is.

I will say though.... not turning the main seminary building into a luxury hotel is a HUGE missed opportunity. This building is stunning and could be a really beautiful destination hotel and retreat. This would also help build up Philadelphia's desirability for tournaments amongst the golf crowd at a newly rehabbed Cobbs Creek Country Club.

Also, since this is RIGHT on the Philadelphia border, I'll leave this post here, but am also going to copy this into the Metro developments thread as well.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:22 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This is VERY positive news. Surprised no one commented on this. I know we all loath the wealthy, but having wealthy residents in your city is nothing but a positive. Even if it’s their second residence. This is more proof that Philadelphia is attracting wealthy residents from other, more expensive cities, and is still attracting wealthy suburbanites.
I also see it as a positive.

And when reading the fine print, only 2% of homes sold in the city are priced at $1M+, though that does not include most condo sales. So let's say 3-5% of homes sold, not a scary percentage. (compared to ~20% in NYC and DC).

But interesting to see the steep rise in new luxury townhouse prices in CC.

And I don't loathe the wealthy buyer. (I know you were being facetious though

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:24 PM
Chris

Developer buys historic property at 6th and Girard with plans for mixed-use complex

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...developer.html

"A developer has purchased an historic building at 6th Street and Girard Avenue in Philadelphia for $1.5 million and plans to develop what was originally known as Farmers’ Market House & Hall into a mixed-use complex."

"Nadel found a buyer, Matt Semola, a Philadelphia developer who was comfortable preserving the front of the building and razing a back portion where a new structure would be constructed. That plan took two years to get approved."

"The new project will be called Farmers Hall and have 38 apartments and 4,000 square feet of commercial space. The seller was Franklin Berger. “This shows you how Northern Liberties is expanding and Girard Avenue is fair game for developers,” Nadel said."

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/he...-20220517.html

- 600,000sqft of medical office buildings
- 205 senior living units
- 175-190 condos in the main college building
- boutique hotel in center of campus
- 600 apartment units along Lancaster Avenue
This site has so much potential but I assume it will get NIMBYed like crazy. It's an incredible collection of beaux arts architecture. The new boutique hotel is perfect but I doubt the site will be nearly as public as it should be. I'd love to see restaurants and beer gardens in those courtyards rather than just for resident use.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Developer buys historic property at 6th and Girard with plans for mixed-use complex

"A developer has purchased an historic building at 6th Street and Girard Avenue in Philadelphia for $1.5 million and plans to develop what was originally known as Farmers’ Market House & Hall into a mixed-use complex."

"Nadel found a buyer, Matt Semola, a Philadelphia developer who was comfortable preserving the front of the building and razing a back portion where a new structure would be constructed. That plan took two years to get approved."

"The new project will be called Farmers Hall and have 38 apartments and 4,000 square feet of commercial space. The seller was Franklin Berger. “This shows you how Northern Liberties is expanding and Girard Avenue is fair game for developers,” Nadel said."
6th Street near Girard has such pretty buildings. Really happy to see development pushing this way, despite city council's best efforts.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
Sorry, you're correct. There was heavy equipment at the Anastasi's site @ 9th and Washington. Does anyone know if the previous plans fell thru for this lot? I saw some rendering a while ago but I haven't seen any updates.
http://www.rising.realestate/anastas...-unit-project/
saw this yesterday....

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
This site has so much potential but I assume it will get NIMBYed like crazy. It's an incredible collection of beaux arts architecture. The new boutique hotel is perfect but I doubt the site will be nearly as public as it should be. I'd love to see restaurants and beer gardens in those courtyards rather than just for resident use.
Agree! A little Italy type vibe would be awesome here with walkable development, ground floor retail, beer gardens, parks, a luxury destination hotel in the main seminary building, etc..... It's even next to TWO regional rail stops, so could be TOD. One could dream

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

This is a fantastic development. Happy to see it.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:49 PM

I usually don't post developments this small but FINALLY! I walk by this all the time

Long Blighted Building at 18th & Delancey Finally Coming Back?

Current home:

Planned rehab:

Quote:
The corner of 18th & Delancey is pretty much as prime a location as you’ll find in the whole city. It’s a block from Rittenhouse Square, some of the best restaurants in town are a stone’s throw away, and it’s surrounded by gorgeous examples of Philadelphia architecture. And yet, the building at 325 S. 18th St., on the southeast corner, has been sitting vacant and blighted for longer than we can remember. It’s still sitting vacant today, but perhaps not for much longer.

The property is now under contract with a new developer, and a sale could close in the coming months. It’s also possible, given the litigious nature of things to date, that the sale process could get dragged out for an extended time as the sale winds its way through the courts. That being said, local courts have approved the sale, and if no additional appeals materialize, we could see a sale pretty soon.

In the interim, the developers are working to get their permits in order. Pace Architecture and Design is working on the construction documents, and have created some renderings to provide a sense of what’s to come. The Historical Commission will need to weigh in, of course, but we imagine they will get on board with something that resembles these renderings, which seem to maintain a good approximation of the historic structure. The plans, we should note, call for a renovation of the building into a luxury home with parking in the back. The renovations will certainly cost a small fortune, and the completed home will eventually cost a slightly larger fortune.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ly-coming-back

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:51 PM

Anastasi Seafood Building Demolished to Make Way for 157-Unit Project

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
Back in 2020, we told you about a 157-unit, mixed-use plan for the site of Anastasi Seafood and the vacant lot behind it on the southeast corner of 9th and Washington in the Italian Market. At that time, there had been on and off plans to develop the property for more than 5 years. Although the site has been fully entitled since late 2020, there was no action on the site until recently.

We had a feeling something may have been brewing when Anastasi Seafood vacated their long-time location earlier this year and moved just north of Washington Avenue to 1039 South 9th Street. The wrecking ball then finally hit within the last week. Now, today, the former seafood shop is completely demolished and there is heavy machinery on the site.

As a reminder, this will be a 7-story, 157-unit building with more than 15,000 square feet of ground floor retail space and 120 underground parking spaces. Overall, the renderings depict an attractive, industrial-style building. Our main complaint is that the drive aisle for the parking garage is located along the Italian Market on 9th Street and will likely interrupt pedestrian flow.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/anastas...-unit-project/

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:53 PM

64-Unit, Mixed-Use Building Rising in Olde Kensington

Current progress:

Project rendering:

Quote:
Back in January of last year, we told you that building permits were issued for a 5-story, 64-unit project with 2 ground floor commercial spaces, 7 artist studios, and 65 parking spots at 1222 North 2nd Street in Olde Kensington. We mentioned that there had been on and off development plans for the property for more than 4 years at that time. However, we had a hunch that things may finally get moving on the site. Well, the existing structure on the parcel was demolished shortly after we wrote that article and construction started soon after.

If you walk by the intersection of 2nd and Thompson today, you’ll get a glimpse of a unique development site for Philadelphia. The building is being constructed out of cast in place concrete, which we do not see here too often for 5-story projects.
Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/64-unit...de-kensington/

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:00 PM

Indoor mini golf venue takes 26,000 square feet at the Shops at Liberty Place

Quote:
Puttshack, an indoor miniature golf experiential retailer, has leased 26,000 square feet at the Shops at Liberty Place, filling a block-long stretch of vacant space in Center City.

The space at 1625 Chestnut St. will include four mini golf courses, two full-service bars and a full dining menu. Expected to open in 2023, it will provide a destination that has the potential to bridge the gap between Center City’s residential and office markets. Puttshack will also provide an entertainment venue for tourists and draw visitors from across the region.

“You get everyone,” said Michael Gorman, a broker with Metro Commercial Real Estate, who represented the landlord in the deal along with colleagues Iryna Iryk and Madelaine Whitehead.

“This also brings nightlife to a part of Chestnut Street where it has never existed and shows you that Center City is still the going-out destination in the region,” Gorman said.

Puttshack joins a growing number of indoor golf venues sprouting up in Philadelphia. Five Iron Golf, which has a location at 2116 Chestnut St., is also opening in Fishtown. Drive Shack Inc. is opening the Puttery in 20,000 square feet at 1400 N. Howard St. on the border of Fishtown and Olde Kensington neighborhoods.

“We wanted to be in the heart of Center City,” said Jacob Cooper, who along with colleague Brittany Goldberg of MSC represented Puttshack in its search. “This is a pretty elevated experience that attracts a wide cross section of consumers.”

The challenge for a retailer such as this is finding an ideal location in Center City that had at least 25,000 square feet on a single floor. Puttshack will fill vacant space that spans a block along Chestnut Street from 16th to 17th streets.

“This is a product of opportunity and I think this furthers the evolution of Chestnut Street and its progression toward food and beverage and entertainment,” Cooper said.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
6th Street near Girard has such pretty buildings. Really happy to see development pushing this way, despite city council's best efforts.
I couldn't be happier about this one.

Oscar Beisert and the Keeping Society of Philadelphia are listed as the group who nominated the building to the historic registrar and they deserve a lot of praise for this outcome (the nomination is here if anyone is interested). Instead of 35 apartments and a retail space in a (probably boring) new building we're getting 38 units and 4000 sq ft of retail in a historic structure. This is exactly the type of project the historical commission should be used for.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Penn’s Stuart Weitzman School of Design is getting a namesake academic building

Read/view more here:
https://www.archpaper.com/2022/05/pe...emic-building/

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Penn’s Stuart Weitzman School of Design is getting a namesake academic building

Read/view more here:
https://www.archpaper.com/2022/05/pe...emic-building/
Why does this article claim that a clearly 4 story building is 8 stories?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Speaking of Girard, does anyone know what's planned for the SE corner of 8th and Girard? I noticed large pieces of equipment on the site of the old gas station while taking my train to the office this morning. It appears that all of Girard between 8th and Franklin Streets is fenced off at the moment.
Also since we're talking about this area today, the former gas station at 8th & Girard that PhilliesPhan mentioned a while ago is in the process of demoing all of the buildings on the site. The property page updated to show this lot was sold in August of last year to an LLC. This is the last full block lot on Girard left to be developed and the site is huge so something big could be built, but unfortunately with Clarke's idiotic Girard ave height restriction bill they're probably limited to 3 stories on the site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development