HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:58 AM
你的媽媽

Downtown was lit tonight. Double major events occurring simultaneously this afternoon/evening with the Giants thumping the Cardinals on Buster Posey Day with over 40,000 in attendance and the Warriors dominating the Grizzlies in NBA playoff action with over 18,000 in attendance.

Can't state enough how lucky we are to be able to enjoy these two premier teams/franchises of their respective sports in two state of the art venues in our downtown core. So many people walking around before and after the game, taking in the sights along the waterfront, packing in the bars and restaurants. You love to see it!

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Downtown was lit tonight. Double major events occurring simultaneously this afternoon/evening with the Giants thumping the Cardinals on Buster Posey Day with over 40,000 in attendance and the Warriors dominating the Grizzlies in NBA playoff action with over 18,000 in attendance.

Can't state enough how lucky we are to be able to enjoy these two premier teams/franchises of their respective sports in two state of the art venues in our downtown core. So many people walking around before and after the game, taking in the sights along the waterfront, packing in the bars and restaurants. You love to see it!
When I walked down Van Ness late last week there were workmen fitting a red carpet in front of the Veterans' Building and a party rental van in front of City Hall. It looked like some kind of gala was imminent but I haven't been able to find out what (if anything).

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:

Huge Niner fan here. Can we build a premier football stadium in the vicinity of downtown SF before I get too old to go to games?

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 3:27 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
Huge Niner fan here. Can we build a premier football stadium in the vicinity of downtown SF before I get too old to go to games?
As cool as that'd be, I think football stadiums aren't really conducive to dense downtown environments. They take up too much space (since they usually require huge parking lots for tailgating) and there's too few games played a year (one day a week for 8 games in a regular season + some for playoffs), so it won't help activate downtown on a frequent enough basis like baseball (81 games) or basketball (42 games).

That being said, it would've been nice to keep the 49ers at Candlestick since it's got space for tailgating and can still be accessed via public transit with the T Third Line and Caltrain. The trio of Giants, 49ers, and Warriors all along Third would've been pretty epic.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 4:10 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:

Glad to hear. How is the Mission Bay neighborhood coming along? It seems like the area around Chase Center is a bit lacking as far a vibrant urban environment, but I have yet to be down in that area. With the parking garages, parking lots and UCSF campus it seems a little underwhelming. When Mission Rock gets built out with China Basin Park I think the area could become a destination for locals and tourists especially with the park right on the waterfront. Fingers crossed. Just got back from Sydney and what that city did with Darling Harbour is nothing short of amazing. This won't be a Darling Harbour but I hope it is truly another neighborhood to be proud of.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Glad to hear. How is the Mission Bay neighborhood coming along? It seems like the area around Chase Center is a bit lacking as far a vibrant urban environment, but I have yet to be down in that area. With the parking garages, parking lots and UCSF campus it seems a little underwhelming. When Mission Rock gets built out with China Basin Park I think the area could become a destination for locals and tourists especially with the park right on the waterfront. Fingers crossed. Just got back from Sydney and what that city did with Darling Harbour is nothing short of amazing. This won't be a Darling Harbour but I hope it is truly another neighborhood to be proud of.
Get down there. I’m uninspired by the bland modernist architecture of most of the area but it really has become a neighborhood with more activity than you suggest. And when the areas on both sides of it, north and south, get built out that will be even more true.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
The lack of patina doesn't appeal to me personally, though it seems to check the right boxes for some people. I have some friends living on the peninsula that are considering a move to SF and as a neighborhood it's their top choice.

The area directly surrounding the Chase Center is typically the quietest outside of events days as there are two garages, and a surface lot still across the street. The main structures of the Uber campus next door also still have yet to fill their retail space, though with Ubers recent RTO-lite there has been a little more foot traffic.

The residential areas along 4th street have been lively though, especially Spark Social. When I've been by Mission Creek park on the weekends it's always been very vibrant. The neighborhood in general seems to especially attract new families.

Crane Cove Park has also definitely activated the area quite a bit too. It's been busy every time I've been, and I think it draws in people from Potrero Hill, and parts of SoMa. I agree that Mission Rock will really liven up the area even more, and definitely make the overall development feel more urban and integrated with the rest of the city.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obemearg View Post
I have some friends living on the peninsula that are considering a move to SF and as a neighborhood it's their top choice . . . .

The neighborhood in general seems to especially attract new families.
It's clean, it's modern, it reminds me of a suburban office park or even mall. So it's no surprise it appeals to folks as an alternative to actual suburbs.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 9:10 PM
你的媽媽

Agree with many of the comments here. It doesn’t have the organic feel of some of the legacy neighborhoods, even the SFH outer ones, but that’s to be expected. And while it is generic and bland in some instances it is pretty vibrant for being essentially a brand new neighborhood with a good amount of activity especially around the parks and some of the food places. Chase Center is also surrounded by the medical center and offices so that area in particular is going to be pretty quiet on non event weekends and weeknights. And as other things fill in like Restoration Hardware and Crane Cove Park have, and soon Mission Rock, it should attract more tourists and residents from other neighborhoods.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 9:49 PM

I really don't think a football stadium needs parking lots for tailgaters. Replace the parking lot with parks, restaurants and bars. Maybe not in a city center, but definitely closer than where Levi is. Levi stadium is is embarrassing massive lot in the middle of nowhere with laughable transit options. A terrible mistake

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 10:28 PM
Environmental Sabotage

That is all disappointing regarding Mission Bay. Looking at Google Maps some of the apartments really do have a suburban feel and some of the streets seem to have dead zones with no retail and have no pedestrian appeal. The Mission Rock that they're building out now looks much more promising with interesting architecture and nice public space including a square. When Mission Rock is complete (at least phase one with the park included) I will head down there and check it out. SF really had an opportunity to build a vibrant urban neighborhood from scratch. I hope they didn't completely blow it.

Old Posted May 8, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanstirrat View Post
I really don't think a football stadium needs parking lots for tailgaters. Replace the parking lot with parks, restaurants and bars. Maybe not in a city center, but definitely closer than where Levi is. Levi stadium is is embarrassing massive lot in the middle of nowhere with laughable transit options. A terrible mistake
Let's recall WHY Levi Stadium is where it is. It was the greed of the team owners and the city's refusal to stick taxpayers with the expense of a new stadium for these billionaires and their multi-millionaire players to make even more money.

San Francisco has made a lot of mistakes and has become dirtier and more crime-ridden and to some extent uglier than it was a couple of decades ago, but one mistake it resisted was pumping taxpayer money into the BUSINESS that is pro sports. Let the business owners pay their own costs.

But they didn't want to do that (just as other team owners haven't all over America with the lie that the teams bring local economic benefits equal to or greater than the cost) so they found some suckers in Santa Clara; suckers who now seem to regret their own foolishness.

Quote:
How Santa Clara’s 49ers honeymoon turned into a poisoned relationship between team and town
Ron Kroichick, Lance Williams
Sep. 5, 2021
Updated: Sep. 5, 2021 12:51 p.m.

More than a decade ago, before they became adversaries in the most contentious team-city relationship in professional sports, Jed York and Lisa Gillmor were allies in the campaign to build an NFL stadium in Santa Clara.

Gillmor, then a real estate broker and 49ers volunteer, hosted one of many small gatherings where York, then the team’s 20-something CEO, urged voters to pass the stadium measure on the June 2010 ballot. Gillmor invited about 20 neighbors, scattered chairs around her living room and served hors d’oeuvres.

York spoke about the many benefits a stadium would bring to the city. Gillmor’s skeptical neighbors peppered him with questions. His answers seemed sincere, she recalled, and laced with concern for the community.

“I really thought the stadium was going to be a great thing,” Gillmor, now Santa Clara’s mayor and leading 49ers critic, said in a recent interview. “I still think it can be, just without them in charge. They need to be out of the way.”

The 49ers carry similar enmity for Gillmor . . . .

This acrimony began even before $1.3 billion Levi’s Stadium opened in 2014. What started with hopes of a civil partnership, producing revenue streams to enrich both the city and 49ers, has dissolved into a series of endless conflicts. At the heart of the fractured relationship are bitter charges and countercharges of financial improprieties, broken promises and allegations of illegal activity over operation of the stadium.

The first major public revelations about a rift came in 2016, after a civil grand jury conducting regular reviews of county financial issues recommended an audit of the stadium’s finances. The city’s Stadium Authority owns Levi’s Stadium but leases the facility to the 49ers, who run it through their Forty Niners Stadium Management Co. That company is supposed to make financial reports to the city so they can split profits, which the city deploys to pay off bonds used to build the stadium.

In 2017, City Manager Deanna Santana ordered the audit recommended by the grand jury, which led the city to contend it was not getting its fair share of the money, an accusation the team has denied. Santana followed by ordering more audits over the years, and eventually the 49ers started taking the city to court or arbitration over financial issues.

This saga offers a cautionary tale about the often fragile coexistence between pro sports teams and their home cities. Bay Area fans are all too familiar with the awkward tap dance, most recently in the A’s protracted efforts to obtain approval for a new waterfront ballpark in Oakland.

But the 49ers-Santa Clara feud includes a fresh dynamic: the team’s involvement in local politics. York spent nearly $3 million last year, or more than $200 per vote, to help elect a 49ers-friendly majority to the City Council. Now team executives meet with some council members more than once a week, according to public records . . . .

The conflict pits York, son of the team’s co-owners, against Gillmor, daughter of a wealthy real estate executive and former three-term mayor of this 128,000-resident, high-tech hub. Nearly $400 million is at stake, public records show.

A detailed review of court records, interviews with city officials and email exchanges with Chandhok, the 49ers spokesperson, found little on which the team and city agree.

Among the flash points:

• Plunging revenues: The 49ers and the Stadium Authority were supposed to split multimillion-dollar profits from college football games, concerts and other non-NFL events. But even before the pandemic, the team claimed there were no profits, saying most stadium events had become money losers partly because of a concert curfew. The city’s auditors believe the stadium makes more money than the team says, records show.

• Contracting “abuses”: The auditors, who in one instance were brought in by the city to probe a stadium flooring job, said they found evidence of irregularities on several contracts supervised by the 49ers. Team officials allegedly made false statements, backdated documents, failed to put contracts out to bid, and violated contracting and labor laws, the audit contended.

In court, the 49ers have responded that the city’s concerns are overblown.

• “Withheld” financials: The auditors said they cannot properly review the stadium’s records because the 49ers for years have refused to provide what the city called “essential revenue information.” The 49ers argued the data sought by the city would jeopardize trade secrets. The city said the data will prove whether the team is diverting profits owed to Santa Clara, as city officials contend.

As relations between the team and Santa Clara deteriorated, the Stadium Authority sought to terminate the 49ers’ management contract in 2019 and said it would hire professional managers to run the facility. The team sued to stop the move. That case is awaiting trial, though Gillmor said Thursday she’s “very concerned” and expects the City Council majority to seek a settlement of the 49ers’ lawsuits.

“It makes no sense from a legal or financial perspective, but Mayor Gillmor and Manager Santana continue to ignore the terms of the (management) contract,” Chandhok said.

While the city and team tussle, the value of the 49ers’ franchise keeps soaring, according to Forbes. It was worth nearly $1.2 billion in 2013 (which ranked 17th in the NFL), its final season at Candlestick Park; the team now is worth $4.175 billion (sixth in the league).

. . . to truly understand how the team’s relationship with Santa Clara began to unravel, consider the fight over kids’ soccer.

In the stadium campaign, the 49ers promised to preserve an 11-acre youth soccer park next to the stadium site. York repeated the promise in a 2012 letter to the executive board of the youth soccer league, and he said the team also would develop “several additional regulation-size soccer fields” elsewhere in Santa Clara.

“We are committed to remaining a good neighbor to the soccer community,” York wrote.

But the next year, 49ers executive Larry MacNeil told Gillmor the team wanted to use the soccer field for VIP parking, she said. And when Gillmor later asked MacNeil about the 49ers’ plans to build the additional fields, he said they weren’t going to do that, either.

The team ultimately offered $15 million for the land on which the soccer park sits, an offer considered below market value by city officials. The 49ers withdrew their proposal after angry youth soccer players and their parents packed a raucous City Council meeting in April 2015 to protest.

Gillmor and other city officials came to view the soccer park as the first of several broken promises. Another involved the stadium curfew, a condition of the stadium development agreement between the city and team. No event could stretch past 10 p.m. on weeknights or 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

But almost as soon as the stadium opened and started hosting non-NFL events — from which the 49ers share revenue with the city — team officials began complaining about the curfew and sometimes ignoring it. Beyoncé’s show in May 2016 extended past the prescribed time; Council Member Kathy Watanabe said she received letters from many unhappy residents who live near the stadium.

“The 49ers said we’d have to change the curfew if we wanted to get good acts,” said Watanabe, who joined Gillmor in voting against Doyle’s firing Wednesday. “I had to tell them I’d hold stadium management accountable to the promises they made.”

Then there were promises of money for local schools. In their pitch to voters in 2010, the 49ers said property tax revenues would soar after the stadium was developed and that would mean a boost for Santa Clara schools.

But the team appealed its property tax bill soon after the stadium opened, and in 2019 an appeals board ruled the county assessor had set too high a value on the 49ers’ interest in the stadium. That decision gave the team an immediate $36 million refund, records show, with the promise of $170 million more in tax relief in coming years.

The assessor, Larry Stone, and several agencies (but not the city) have sued to overturn the appeals board’s decision, which forced the Santa Clara Unified School District to pay the 49ers a $13 million tax refund, according to Stone. Chandhok said the 49ers are one of the “top taxpayers” in Santa Clara County.

Many local stadium boosters felt betrayed . . . .

York requested . . . a reduction in the team’s rent. The 49ers contended they were entitled to the rollback — they initially sought a drop of $5.5 million annually, to about $19 million per year (or $220 million over the life of the lease) — because stadium construction costs had been lower and revenues higher than expected.

Gillmor told York she would agree to the reduction, she said, “if the numbers make sense and I know we’re covered.” Then Gillmor asked York to stay out of city politics. He refused, she said, citing the team’s long-term interest in Santa Clara.

Even after the 49ers reduced their request, the City Council rejected it — prompting the 49ers to take the issue to arbitration. Two years later, the arbiter sided with the city and actually raised the rent by $10 million over the life of the lease.

Chandhok responded by calling Gillmor “deceptive” and “difficult to trust.” In an email Friday, he wrote, “Unfortunately, we have no working relationship with either Mayor Gillmor or Ms. Santana. The environment they have created at City Hall is toxic and dysfunctional.”

This rent issue led to more disputes: over stadium costs, approval of contracts and the budget. And then York poured $2.9 million into last year’s election campaign.

The 49ers bought television, mail and online ads attacking the team’s City Council critics and boosting its favored candidates. The campaign rarely mentioned the team’s financial disputes with the city; instead, it said the issue was the racial makeup of the council and a plan, backed by the 49ers, to create district rather than citywide elections to improve diversity on the council.

“After seeing reports of Mayor Gillmor funneling developer money through the police union to support her slate of all-white candidates, and the outcry from the NAACP and Asian Law Alliance, we felt it necessary to make our support for diverse candidates swift, open and transparent,” Chandhok wrote in his email.

Santa Clara voters elected three of the four York-backed candidates. All three, along with two holdover council members, voted to remove Doyle as city attorney.

Gillmor said that, despite the 49ers’ contention, her duels with the team are rooted in ensuring the city receives the economic benefits promised in Measure J. That those benefits are not what Santa Clara leaders envisioned comes as no surprise to at least one observer: Noll, the Stanford economist.

He wrote an op-ed piece in The Chronicle in May 2010, a month ahead of the stadium vote. Noll warned that the city’s financial commitment could skyrocket if rosy projections in the deal turned out to be untrue.

Last month, in a phone interview, Noll said stadium deals almost always include “wildly unrealistic projections” about profits from non-football events, one of the issues in Santa Clara. Still, he was struck by how the partnership turned antagonistic more quickly than other team-city alliances.

“The thing that’s unique about the 49ers and Santa Clara is it’s very early in the relationship, and it’s very litigious,” Noll said. “Usually, the lawsuits come way later, when a team is maybe trying to break its lease.”

He’s also skeptical city officials can solve their problems by replacing the 49ers with another entity to manage Levi’s Stadium.

“They were told this was going to be a disaster by a lot of people, but they chose to ignore the experiences of other cities that went just before them,” Noll said. “This always happens with baseball and football stadiums. What happened in Santa Clara was completely predictable.”

What happens next is less certain.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/4...a-16436051.php

When the teams build their own venues, as any business should, things are much less contentious and I think that's why the Giants' and Warriors' homes are proud city landmarks and not sources of civic discord like Levi's Stadium.

I don't want that in San Francisco and there's no possibility the city would build the team a new stadium or that the 49ers would build their own.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 3:25 AM
你的媽媽

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:47 PM

Having lived in Mission Bay for 11 years now, one of the things that makes it very different than many other parts of the city is that it was basically built all at once. Most of the rest of the city has a mix of buildings built over a hundred years, but Mission Bay was basically built over roughly 10-15 years, mostly with large apartments, and mostly with a zoning code that only presents a few options if you want to maximize $$$$. The 4th street retail corridor is actually pretty nice. I do think Mission Rock will need to be more fully built out before it feels more like a neighborhood. I do personally like the neighborhood, but I do live right around where it blurs into SoMa and South Beach, so that does give me a different perception, I suppose.

Last edited by iamfishhead; May 9, 2022 at 4:48 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 4:57 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
That is all disappointing regarding Mission Bay. Looking at Google Maps some of the apartments really do have a suburban feel and some of the streets seem to have dead zones with no retail and have no pedestrian appeal. The Mission Rock that they're building out now looks much more promising with interesting architecture and nice public space including a square. When Mission Rock is complete (at least phase one with the park included) I will head down there and check it out. SF really had an opportunity to build a vibrant urban neighborhood from scratch. I hope they didn't completely blow it.
Although it's a little further south in the Dogpatch, the Potrero Power Station project is going to be a huge, both figuratively and literally, in terms of being an activator of the area. The architecture in this particular project is also quite stunning. If MB were built like MR and PPS that would've been nice, but at least we're getting the good stuff now. The Dogpatch blends pretty seamlessly into MB so that's nice as well. You can walk along 3rd and make a pit stop at the excellent Neighbor Bakehouse or take the scenic route along the waterfront.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Having lived in Mission Bay for 11 years now, one of the things that makes it very different than many other parts of the city is that it was basically built all at once. Most of the rest of the city has a mix of buildings built over a hundred years, but Mission Bay was basically built over roughly 10-15 years, mostly with large apartments, and mostly with a zoning code that only presents a few options if you want to maximize $$$$. The 4th street retail corridor is actually pretty nice. I do think Mission Rock will need to be more fully built out before it feels more like a neighborhood. I do personally like the neighborhood, but I do live right around where it blurs into SoMa and South Beach, so that does give me a different perception, I suppose.
To me, what makes Mission Bay feel sterile are the block-long wide buildings on large lots, as opposed to most of the rest of the city, where 25 foot wide lots are the standard.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 9:01 PM

I biked around Mission Bay last November, and I thought it was pretty impressive. I can see how some might find it a bit sterile because it was developed basically all at once, but I think it gets the basics right- the street grid was maintained, there's plenty of transit and bike infrastructure, nice new green spaces, and some signature buildings (Chase Center, some UCSF buildings) that provide some visual interest.

For basically building an entire neighborhood from scratch, I think it's pretty good. Not quite Boston Seaport good, but there is still a fair amount left to be developed. Mission Rock definitely is a step up in quality and intensity. I echo others comments that people should check it out for themselves rather than relying on google street view.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:21 PM
你的媽媽

Approved.

Would've been nice to see this go at least 5 floors, but still good to see another parking lot and drive thru bank bite the dust. Regardless, a solid urban win! Adding more residential density to walkable commercial corridors is always great.

Current site:
From the Chestnut side
From the Lombard side

Quote:
San Francisco Planning Approved Multi-Family Project For 2055 Chestnut Street, Marina District

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON MAY 9, 2022

The San Francisco Planning Department has approved plans for a three-story residential infill at 2055 Chestnut Street in the city’s Marina District. The project would create 49 new homes, plenty of retail, and a grocery store in a busy commercial area. Prado Group is managing the development.

The Notice of Determination states that the project will not have a significant impact on the environment, and mitigation measures were a condition of approval.

The 40-foot tall structure will yield over 100,000 square feet with 44,220 square feet for housing, 40,080 square feet for commercial space, and 14,150 square feet for the 20-car garage. The basement will have a roughly 14,000 square foot rentable space intended to be for a grocery store. 5,500 square feet of retail will face Lombard Street, and 10,850 square feet of retail will face the more pedestrian-friendly Chestnut Street.

Of the 49 units, there will be 34 one-bedrooms, 8 two-bedrooms, and 7 three-bedrooms. Nine units will be restricted as affordable housing. Cyclists will find long-term parking for 80 bikes and short-term parking for 28 bikes.
https://sfyimby.com/2022/05/san-fran...-district.html

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 4:55 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi on hand for grand opening of 143-unit affordable housing complex in the Mission
By Joe Kukura - Published on May 05, 2022.

“What a perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday where she spent part of Cinco de Mayo in San Francisco’s Mission District. Pelosi was at the intersection of 16th and Shotwell Streets, for the grand opening of Casa Adelante, a new affordable housing complex that will offer 143 homes for 312 SF residents.

Hoodline previously reported on the 100%-affordable project at 1990 Folsom Street, which is on the site of a former bakery. Two Mission-based nonprofits, Latinx art space Galería de la Raza and at-risk youth organization HOMEY, will occupy spaces on the ground floor.

“This place is about respect, respect for the tenants,” Pelosi said, as you can see in the video above. “Last year the House Democrats passed $24 billion for housing vouchers, which would be the largest expansion in decades, and 228,000 affordable housing units in California. And again, President Biden’s leadership. And I must say, without one Republican vote.”

“These 143 units come at a time when addressing housing affordability for all San Franciscans is crucial,” Mayor London Breed added. “2828 16th Street allows families to stay rooted in their community while providing critical on-site services that will help them thrive in the neighborhood they call home. This project is a perfect example of how we are working to make San Francisco a more affordable place to live for everyone.”

The eight-story, 155,000-square-foot building was completed in November, and is a joint venture between housing nonprofits Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) and Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA).
https://hoodline.com/2022/05/nancy-p...n-the-mission/

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 4:55 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Casa Adelante - 2828 16th Street is a key step in helping us build this future by providing 143 affordable homes for people with low incomes in San Francisco (40-60% AMI), including 36 units set aside for people relocating from SF Housing Authority homes through the HOPE SF program. The project is a joint venture between TNDC and the Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA).

Located in the vibrant Mission community, 2828 16th Street is a family-friendly building centering tenant needs. With onsite Property Management and Social Workers, tenants have a built-in support network to help them adjust to their new home, feel welcome, and remain stably housed.
https://www.tndc.org/property/casa-a...2828-16-street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations