HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 6:05 PM

lmao classic Biff

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

Brick being exposed. Windows opening up.
Is this going to be that personalized perfume store?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Is this going to be that personalized perfume store?
think it being split up into two units?

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 1:50 PM

the "For lease" signs are now plastered on the wood, so it looks like no tennant in place.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the "For lease" signs are now plastered on the wood, so it looks like no tennant in place.
I think 1/2 is rented.

Glad they are cleaning up the space. It will have a Nonsuch look.

Hope the new store front is not smashed and vandalized.

It’s been brutal last month in the area.

Let CV buy out the liquor licence at the Woodbine and the area will change overnight. I’ve been saying this for 20 years now. A pot shop would be way better!

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 6:52 PM

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 7:55 PM

nameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
A development without a name.. No Name Brand? all in Yellow? lol

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 8:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Let CV buy out the liquor licence at the Woodbine and the area will change overnight. I’ve been saying this for 20 years now. A pot shop would be way better!
That's where I buy my beer!

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 8:50 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576456772.html

Wish there was more apartments for the students, doctors around HSC. It would cleanup the area a bit.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Hope the new store front is not smashed and vandalized.

It’s been brutal last month in the area.
I had to go downtown today and I went for a walk around downtown and into the West Exchange. It is horrendous... the amount of 'for lease' signs and smashed glass must be at all time highs. Makes the late 90s feel like the good old days. Things are not good right now.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That's where I buy my beer!
This is the biggest impediment to a more successful outcome for businesses and building owners in the area. Instead of spending another Million dollars on “studies” buy out the vendor and you will turn the area around in a day.

That’s the most polite and diplomatic way I can say it.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had to go downtown today and I went for a walk around downtown and into the West Exchange. It is horrendous... the amount of 'for lease' signs and smashed glass must be at all time highs. Makes the late 90s feel like the good old days. Things are not good right now.
The number of For Lease signs is really depressing. I've always liked 387 Graham Avenue as a building and appreciated that it had four storefronts but every single one of them is vacant right now. The storefront at the True North Residences is still vacant. Its concerning on the street. Don't get me started on the overflowing garbage bins and just general cleanliness of the downtown. Talk about a City having no pride in itself.

I'm thankful to see residential growth in the immediate area (Medical Arts Building, True North Residences, 300 Main, the Smith Lofts), but its so frustrating that we're not seeing the benefits from that growth on the streets yet. All the developments feel like islands far away from each other with the impact of the residents confined to single buildings. I guess they kind of are, surrounded by parking, far away from from established neighbourhoods like Osborne and West Broadway, and just not numerous enough or close enough to connect to each other and bleed out onto the streets.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:
This is the biggest impediment to a more successful outcome for businesses and building owners in the area. Instead of spending another Million dollars on “studies” buy out the vendor and you will turn the area around in a day.

That’s the most polite and diplomatic way I can say it.
What a load of shit. Oh yeah all the problems of the West Exchange and downtown at large are ALL the fault of a beer vendor and a bar/venue where people can go and enjoy themselves in an already venue-starved city. Do you even leave your house? Do you even hear yourself? Let’s just tear down more social gathering spaces for a monoculture gentrified colourless profit machine so we can all celebrate no more for-lease signs and profits for all! Honestly please stop pointing the finger at the common people for the social problems caused by big business and the unaffordability of commercial space caused by said greedy businesspeople. People deserve places to go party and places to buy beer. You want to turn the area around? Cut egregious commercial rents and watch the spaces fill up and the area turn around “in a day” as you claim.

Last edited by WinCitySparky; May 3, 2022 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:59 AM
surely you agree with me

As long as the current Chair of CentreVenture is in position there will be no more buying of hotels or liquor licences.

Downtown is pretty depressing right now I agree. Portage Avenue is 90% vacant. Broken windows everywhere. It’s far worse than the 90’s.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
What a load of shit. Oh yeah all the problems of the West Exchange and downtown at large are ALL the fault of a beer vendor and a bar/venue where people can go and enjoy themselves in an already venue-starved city. Do you even leave your house? Do you even hear yourself? Let’s just tear down more social gathering spaces for a monoculture gentrified colourless profit machine so we can all celebrate no more for-lease signs and profits for all! Honestly please stop pointing the finger at the common people for the social problems caused by big business and the unaffordability of commercial space caused by said greedy businesspeople. People deserve places to go party and places to buy beer. You want to turn the area around? Cut egregious commercial rents and watch the spaces fill up and the area turn around “in a day” as you claim.
Woodbine has been an issue for years but the biggest problem is the long term rentals upstairs

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 1:13 PM

the litter in the Main & Higgins area is unreal, i've never seen anything like it. I just don't get it why it needs to be that bad. who cares if it's surrounded by shelters, why can't you pick up litter instead of throwing it around. start a stand with Free coffee for every bag of litter you bring in or something.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 1:22 PM

Reminds me of driving through the downtown eastside in Vancouver

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Reminds me of driving through the downtown eastside in Vancouver
North Main in the 80s and 90s always had an element of real grit to it, but yes, now that you mention it, it looks like it has now levelled up to a Hastings and Main DTES type of despondency.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:05 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the shelters should be forced to clean and sanitize the area as its condition has a huge affect on the health of their clients and yes they call these people clients

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the shelters should be forced to clean and sanitize the area as its condition has a huge affect on the health of their clients and yes they call these people clients
"Client" is just the current euphemism for "patient" in healthcare and social services. If you have any friends who are nurses or physicians, you'll hear them use the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan