HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:32 PM
What could go wrong?

My bet is the previous estimate to bring it up to code, meant gut to the concrete superstructure and cut the atrium hole down the centre so the building is a manageable size to re-develop.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Demolition work has begun at the Pemby. The back 1 storey motel style building is gone with an excavator actively working
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Apparently the site is a park even though it has a 60’s bungalow on it and is private property. Also apparently the fact that they had 300 signatures on an opposition petition and no petitions were presented in support shows the project should be denied because that’s democracy. This was said after he claimed he only evaluates things based on the rules and the facts.
There is somebody living on Shaftsbury with a lot of influence at City Hall. Winnipeg Transit changed route 95 to run down Shaftsbury from Taylor to Corydon quite a number of years back. It took one week before they changed the routes to keep it off Shaftsbury between Grant and Corydon, inefficiently going to Kenaston and then back to Edgeland instead.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:36 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
My bet is the previous estimate to bring it up to code, meant gut to the concrete superstructure and cut the atrium hole down the centre so the building is a manageable size to re-develop.
^ even that doesn't come close to 111 million. That's mostly just removal of finishes.

That 111 million figure works out to almost $175 a square foot - which seems more than a touch inflated considering the building is already there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 8:42 PM

My minimal understanding of building code is that everything is essentially grandfathered from the moment a building is constructed to the moment it is changed. It would be unfeasible to require a building constantly meet various building codes as they are ever evolving. This building has been relatively unchanged for quite some time and has not had to update many features to be compliant.

Once you open a wall however, is where things being to really snowball. everything behind that wall now has to be brought up to code as it exists today. since this whole building will be renovated, that could mean re wiring the entire building, redoing all of the plumbing and ventilation.

Now imagine if there is any foundation or structural issues that are revealed, that is where this could all balloon pretty quickly.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:00 PM
surely you agree with me

^ sure but what is that everything that was grandfathered? stair handrails? Many things can be grandfathered even with a redevelopment.

That estimate certainly does include an entirely new mechanical and electrical system, but that is not 'bringing it up to code'.

There's no question that there are unknowns that might add cost. That's why you have contingencies built into the budget.

I can guarantee you that either this estimate was done to as part of a project that was being worked on or it was pulled out of someone's butt...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ even that doesn't come close to 111 million. That's mostly just removal of finishes.

That 111 million figure works out to almost $175 a square foot - which seems more than a touch inflated considering the building is already there.
Right. That's 10% of that cost.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 9:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
My minimal understanding of building code is that everything is essentially grandfathered from the moment a building is constructed to the moment it is changed. It would be unfeasible to require a building constantly meet various building codes as they are ever evolving. This building has been relatively unchanged for quite some time and has not had to update many features to be compliant.

Once you open a wall however, is where things being to really snowball. everything behind that wall now has to be brought up to code as it exists today. since this whole building will be renovated, that could mean re wiring the entire building, redoing all of the plumbing and ventilation.

Now imagine if there is any foundation or structural issues that are revealed, that is where this could all balloon pretty quickly.
The City has some accepted work arounds for reducing the amount of "bring it all up to Code" issues with Heritage Buildings.

At least they do in the Exchange district, where things like heavy timber construction and some exiting would be cost prohibitive to bring up to current codes.

As for the Bay - there is really no can of worms to deal with. The structure is cast-in-place concrete. Walls are stone clad and not insulated, so mold and water related issues will not be a concern.

The biggest issue "envelope wise" with that building (besides the roof), is that the basement extends about 10-feet beyond the exterior wall footprint along at least the north and west sides of the building, which required some waterproofing repairs in the not too distant past. This is also why the sidewalk below the canopy stays clear and dry all winter (heat loss melting the snow)...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:06 AM
surely you agree with me

Brick being exposed. Windows opening up.

Last edited by trueviking; Apr 29, 2022 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that building is a surviver eh

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Looks better already. Sure would be nice to have a 5 or 6 storey building there though.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Looks better already. Sure would be nice to have a 5 or 6 storey building there though.
There was …

It just burnt down…

I still think the Birt Saddlery horses should go back up!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:34 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
There was …

It just burnt down…

I still think the Birt Saddlery horses should go back up!
The foundation for the 5/6 storey building is still there. I am surprised no one has attempted to add those floors back on.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
The foundation for the 5/6 storey building is still there. I am surprised no one has attempted to add those floors back on.
Someone wanted to a few years back, I'm sure everyone remembers the Saddlery Lofts? It was one of the first significant residential proposals after The Great 90s Doldrums.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Someone wanted to a few years back, I'm sure everyone remembers the Saddlery Lofts? It was one of the first significant residential proposals after The Great 90s Doldrums.
try 16yrs ago

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:05 PM

I had such high hopes when that rendering was released

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had such high hopes when that rendering was released
remember the weird floor plans

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:18 PM
the first stamp is free

Yeah - I remember that one.

I was thinking something more modest, on top of the existing building. Should be doable.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:40 PM

It kind of looks like the faux french stuff built in St. B. A smoosh together of that red building on Provencher with one of the condos on tache. Then added the oval crown to top it off.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Yeah - I remember that one.

I was thinking something more modest, on top of the existing building. Should be doable.
Something modest like this

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan