HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 1:28 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

More info and pics about downtown's Regional Connector transit project from Streetsblog Los Angeles:

Preview of Metro’s Nearly Completed Regional Connector Subway

New downtown L.A. light rail subway due to open in Fall 2022

Joe Linton
Streetsblog Los Angeles
Apr 18, 2022

This morning, Metro hosted a tour of the under construction Regional Connector subway, slated to open later this year. Local press toured the nearly finished Grand Avenue Arts/Bunker Hill Station, including a brief test train ride to the new Historic Broadway Station.

Metro celebrated an important construction milestone today: the completion of all trackwork, guideway systems, and station platform areas. Metro CEO Stephanie Wiggins and three Metro boardmembers all praised the anticipated mobility benefits of the project, calling it a game changer.

Metro’s Regional Connector is a $1.8 billion 1.9-mile light rail subway below downtown Los Angeles. The project will tie together the Metro A (Blue), E (Expo), and L (Gold) Lines, offering single-seat rides from East L.A. to Santa Monica, and from Azusa to Long Beach. Once the Connector opens, many Metro rail trips that had required one or two transfers will be faster and easier, requiring fewer transfers – in many cases no transfer.

Regional Connector construction got underway in 2014. The line was initially projected to open in 2020, but faced some delays and cost overruns. Now the project is 93 percent complete, according to this week’s Metro’s construction project status report.

As with other new Metro rail lines, the contractor turns over the project to Metro – when construction is said to be “substantially complete” – then Metro does testing and training for about six months before opening to the public.

With the Connector’s train systems construction substantially complete, Metro train testing is already underway. The remaining construction work – the three new stations – is expected to be completed by this summer. Wiggins, Mayor Eric Garcetti and County Supervisor Hilda Solis all announced that the Connector would open to the public in fall of 2022. Metro also plans to open the new Crenshaw/LAX light rail line this fall.

The Grand Avenue Station is located more-or-less behind the Broad Museum and the Disney Concert Hall; the station includes a new pedestrian bridge directly to the Broad.

Given Bunker Hill’s topography, the Grand Station will be the deepest in the Metro system, approximately 100 feet below street level.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 2:09 AM

I'm really excited about the Regional Connector finally opening!

I'm hoping that by the next LA Auto Show, I can take just one train from South Pasadena to the LA Convention Center, instead of having to transfer twice. It'll really save time for many!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 2:35 AM
Show me the blueprints

Bravo

The finishes are kinda barf but it's the operational infrastructure that makes this awesome.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Bravo

The finishes are kinda barf but it's the operational infrastructure that makes this awesome.

That station looks pretty small. It's as if they never anticipate impatient riders crowding the platform as happens in NYC during service delays.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 3:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think the lens is making it look shorter than what it really is. My nitpicky gripe is with the total lack of imagination, sophistication or frankly "current" feel of the station design. The floor appears to be concrete. Why wouldn't you just use that nice grey tile you used to inset with for the whole expanse? The channeled concrete on the outside walls looks like a highway abutment from 1981.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:13 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I think the lens is making it look shorter than what it really is. My nitpicky gripe is with the total lack of imagination, sophistication or frankly "current" feel of the station design. The floor appears to be concrete. Why wouldn't you just use that nice grey tile you used to inset with for the whole expanse? The channeled concrete on the outside walls looks like a highway abutment from 1981.
I agree with you that it's not particularly aesthetically pleasing or premium feeling in terms of materials and fit and finish. Maybe they're going for a brutalist look to help keep costs down. If you look at the renderings of the station exterior, it also looks to have large, unpainted concrete panels. And the pedestrian walkway is also largely concrete, in keeping with the freeway inspired look, but at least they added some glass railings to break up the monotony.

It'll be interesting to see what materials they use on the other 2 stations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:39 PM

You guys, the stations/platforms aren't done yet; only the tracks.

They still have work to do, finishing touches and artwork, etc.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 4:51 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
That station looks pretty small. It's as if they never anticipate impatient riders crowding the platform as happens in NYC during service delays.
I think the headways will be frequent enough so the platforms will never be too crowded. Light rail trains usually have less passengers than heavy rail trains too. They also look to be a perfectly acceptable width as compared to other island platforms in other transit agencies with subways.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think the headways will be frequent enough so the platforms will never be too crowded.

That's the whole dilemma - when the trains stop coming through but prospective passengers keep coming down the staircase. When a train finally does arrive, the passengers getting off cause a scrum that takes over a minute to resolve itself, and now the schedule has become further delayed.

If these ripples start just as rush hour begins, it takes 1-2 hours for the system to get back on schedule.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 9:09 PM

Unless it's a special event like a rally, civlavia, 4th of July at grand park these stations will not become overwhelmed. I think they will relieve the choke points at 7th metro Station and union Station since passengers no longer have to transfer for example Pasadena to staples center. Crypt center.. even at rush hour office and government workers have an option to get on the lot or hit to get to union Station also buses.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 6:53 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I'm really excited about the Regional Connector finally opening!

I'm hoping that by the next LA Auto Show, I can take just one train from South Pasadena to the LA Convention Center, instead of having to transfer twice. It'll really save time for many!
Through-routing both north-south and east-west. Still not perfect since the alignments are at-grade and street-based, but we'll take it.

Just as important, the stations themselves are in prime locations. Here's to hoping that the 2nd/Flower station will be some sort of catalyst for Bunker hill re/development in addition to directly serving the Music Center, Broad, MOCA, Colburn, and DWP.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 11:32 AM

U.S. DOT announces intention to fund first phase of San Fernando light-rail line

By Bill Wilson
RT&S
May 10, 2022

"The U.S. DOT’s Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued a Letter of Intent (LOI) to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) announcing DOT’s intention to obligate funds for the first phase of the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor light-rail line.

This is the second project to be considered as part of U.S. DOT’s Expedited Project Delivery (EPD) Pilot Program.

“The eastern San Fernando Valley Corridor is one of the busiest transit corridors in the nation,” said U.S. Transportation Deputy Secretary Polly Trottenberg. “This announcement is a big step toward creating more transit options, a better commute, and cleaner air for residents in the San Fernando Valley and all of Los Angeles.”

https://www.rtands.com/passenger/u-s...ght-rail-line/

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think the headways will be frequent enough so the platforms will never be too crowded. Light rail trains usually have less passengers than heavy rail trains too. They also look to be a perfectly acceptable width as compared to other island platforms in other transit agencies with subways.
Clapham North (pictured) opened over 120 years ago as an extension to the world’s first truly underground (i.e. deep-bore tunnel) rail line. The construction methods back then were far more limited, and since then narrow island platforms have been rebuilt (e.g. Angel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_...southbound.jpg) on safety grounds. Clapham North and its neighbour Clapham Common are the only underground island platforms remaining in the city. Such platforms wouldn’t be built today.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
U.S. DOT announces intention to fund first phase of San Fernando light-rail line

By Bill Wilson
RT&S
May 10, 2022

"The U.S. DOT’s Federal Transit Administration (FTA) issued a Letter of Intent (LOI) to the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) announcing DOT’s intention to obligate funds for the first phase of the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor light-rail line.

This is the second project to be considered as part of U.S. DOT’s Expedited Project Delivery (EPD) Pilot Program.

“The eastern San Fernando Valley Corridor is one of the busiest transit corridors in the nation,” said U.S. Transportation Deputy Secretary Polly Trottenberg. “This announcement is a big step toward creating more transit options, a better commute, and cleaner air for residents in the San Fernando Valley and all of Los Angeles.”

https://www.rtands.com/passenger/u-s...ght-rail-line/
I’m very pro-rail transit but this is one project I’m rooting against - because it’s a glorified streetcar and eye sore. This should’ve been part of the Sepulveda line or at least a grade separated LRT line that connects to the red line in NoHo or becomes part of the Orange line (with LRT conversion).

This project is a giant boondoggle.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 9:16 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Clapham North (pictured) opened over 120 years ago as an extension to the world’s first truly underground (i.e. deep-bore tunnel) rail line. The construction methods back then were far more limited, and since then narrow island platforms have been rebuilt (e.g. Angel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_...southbound.jpg) on safety grounds. Clapham North and its neighbour Clapham Common are the only underground island platforms remaining in the city. Such platforms wouldn’t be built today.
Thanks for the info.

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 12:10 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Van Nuys light rail line gets $900M in federal funding

Running 6.7 miles between Van Nuys and Pacoima

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
May 13, 2022

It's been delayed, scaled back, and split into phases, but with a new funding agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, a long-awaited light rail line is one step closer to breaking ground in the San Fernando Valley.

This week, the Federal Transit Administration announced that it will contribute $908.7 million to the construction of the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor light rail line, which will connect the communities of Pacoima and Van Nuys. The 6.7-mile line is expected to run north-south in the median of Van Nuys Boulevard, making 11 stops and offering connections to Metro's G (Orange) Line busway and the Metrolink Ventura County line.

"The eastern San Fernando Valley Corridor is one of the busiest transit corridors in the nation," said U.S. Transportation Deputy Secretary Polly Trottenberg in a news release. "This announcement is a big step toward creating more transit options, a better commute, and cleaner air for residents in the San Fernando Valley and all of Los Angeles."

The FTA funding agreement will cover 25 percent of the total budget of the project, which will cost an estimated $3.6 billion.

According to a project page on the Metro website, the East San Fernando Valley Line is scheduled to begin construction in 2022 and open by 2028. At completion, the transit line would offer a 30-minute end-to-end trip between Pacoima and the G Line busway's Van Nuys Station - which is also expected to be grade separated and converted to light rail in the future.

Not included in the scope of the FTA agreement is the northern 2.5 mile segment of the East San Fernando Valley Line, which would run between Pacoima and the Sylmar/San Fernando Metrolink station. The northern leg of the light rail line was carved out of the initial scope of the project in 2020, as construction costs ballooned. Metro has since explored increased Metrolink service, with a new stop at Van Nuys Boulevard, in lieu of building 2.5 miles of additional track.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Van Nuys light rail line gets $900M in federal funding

Running 6.7 miles between Van Nuys and Pacoima

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
May 13, 2022

It's been delayed, scaled back, and split into phases, but with a new funding agreement with the U.S. Department of Transportation, a long-awaited light rail line is one step closer to breaking ground in the San Fernando Valley.

This week, the Federal Transit Administration announced that it will contribute $908.7 million to the construction of the East San Fernando Valley Transit Corridor light rail line, which will connect the communities of Pacoima and Van Nuys. The 6.7-mile line is expected to run north-south in the median of Van Nuys Boulevard, making 11 stops and offering connections to Metro's G (Orange) Line busway and the Metrolink Ventura County line.

"The eastern San Fernando Valley Corridor is one of the busiest transit corridors in the nation," said U.S. Transportation Deputy Secretary Polly Trottenberg in a news release. "This announcement is a big step toward creating more transit options, a better commute, and cleaner air for residents in the San Fernando Valley and all of Los Angeles."

The FTA funding agreement will cover 25 percent of the total budget of the project, which will cost an estimated $3.6 billion.

According to a project page on the Metro website, the East San Fernando Valley Line is scheduled to begin construction in 2022 and open by 2028. At completion, the transit line would offer a 30-minute end-to-end trip between Pacoima and the G Line busway's Van Nuys Station - which is also expected to be grade separated and converted to light rail in the future.

Not included in the scope of the FTA agreement is the northern 2.5 mile segment of the East San Fernando Valley Line, which would run between Pacoima and the Sylmar/San Fernando Metrolink station. The northern leg of the light rail line was carved out of the initial scope of the project in 2020, as construction costs ballooned. Metro has since explored increased Metrolink service, with a new stop at Van Nuys Boulevard, in lieu of building 2.5 miles of additional track.
Of course this line gets funding. How about funding purple to the beach? Vermont? Grade separate Washington & Flower St? Or East LA extension? Crenshaw? I mean this project is a waste in my eyes. It’s not grade separated so it’ll be slow as hell, it stops seemingly every block so it’ll be even slower than slower than hell and it connects to… no other rail line? There are a million things they could’ve done to make this line worthwhile:

- reducer number of stops to give make it faster
- integration with Sepulveda line (let’s be honest this is the most obvious)
- grade separate it completely
- extend the line so it takes over the Orange Line between Van Nuys & NoHo

The only possible way this line becomes worthwhile at all is if it connects with the Sepulveda line at two different locations once the Sepulveda line is built and even then it should take over part of the Orange line route

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:47 AM
Show me the blueprints

Agreed on all counts.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 5:20 PM
你的媽媽

Probably would've been better to make that East SFV light rail line into BRT for cost savings, especially since it's going to be at grade, does it really have to be light rail? And then divert the funds to the Sepulveda Transit Corridor Project. Or scrap this line altogether and combine it with the Sepulveda heavy rail line.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineDrive View Post
Of course this line gets funding. How about funding purple to the beach? Vermont? Grade separate Washington & Flower St? Or East LA extension? Crenshaw?
The funding needs to be understood in the context of program the funds are coming from.

It is the last remaining pot of funds from an old Obama-era expiring program, so the first project (anywhere in the nation) that can qualify for those funds would get those funds and no other project can get it.

You need to have a final NEPA EIR completed (a 5+ year process)--the only project that has this done is this project. WSAB only has the draft EIR done. Vermont and East LA haven't even started the NEPA process. Sepulveda and Crenshaw are only about 20% done, with 2-4 more years before it is done.

If you get funds for this project, you can only get 25% federal funding for this project. Metro is probably seeking 40-50% federal funding if they ever seek federal funds for Purple, Sepulveda, WSAB, Vermont or Crenshaw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation