Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
east oak lane is very old, most large houses are from early 20th century. West Oak lane is newer, but still mostly built before 1950. Cedarbrook to the west of that was built after ww2 in early 50s.
I think you get my point before we quibble about details. The fact that these areas were not built out by the 1950 census was my point. There are pre-war sections in most sections of the Northeast as well and in the other areas I mentioned. Granted, E. Oak Lane is mostly older, lower density homes but wherever you see airlites, they weren't there in time for the 1950 census. If you want to argue that the area east of 5th Street and north of Godfrey is actually Olney, I think we are missing the point of my post.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:10 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

If we look at the amount of vacant lots from let's say Lehigh all the way to Ridge and Broad river to river we can determine that the population from the 50's and before was more densely populated in those 4 corners.

Now the population is even more denser in the areas between Spring Garden/Girard to Washington Ave River to River.

Thats not including the many Rowhomes and Apt Buildings that were razed, destroyed or rebuilt between that time and now with less or more people on those same lots.

Now that brings up the fact the reason why we have a mostly lets say 95% full housing rate in Northeast Philly and the population still isn't at 2 million, because for a while the population was more spread out over the area.

Philly's City Boundary is pretty big to if we would have annexed a little more we would be the size of NYC.

Also when were homes in W Philly starting to be built?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Mostly the mid to late 1800s, at least especially University City+adjacent neighborhood areas. I would assume the density is similar. While most of the larger homes are now split into dense apartments, like was mentioned earlier, family sizes used to be large. It is probably more dense with adult citizens in comparison.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:28 PM

Just for the record, I'm for annexing the suburbs. If Houston can do it and Phoenix can do it then why can't we? Even Russia does it and so did Napoleon (Of course I'm joking on Russia and Napoleon even though I am a fan of the Code Napoleon) But my point is that if Philadelphia consolidated earlier suburbs in 1854; why can't we do it again? Annex, build amenities in those areas; increase tax revenue by increasing the population.

Back to 115 S 19th Street; staying on topic. I drove up the expressway and under the South Street Bridge and saw the Laurel; since the Laurel is closer to the bridge it looks taller in the skyline than it actually is and it really adds depth to the skyline; I highly suspect 115 S 19th Street will add even more depth. Its one thing to impact the skyline from different directions but when we have towers that add depth that is really great because few cities actually have that; Atlanta comes to mind but not in a negative way its a city that isn't as large as Philadelphia.

Often with a lot of cities what we see is they add trophy towers and sometimes the towers are in a relative straight line to build a profile or skyline; Philadelphia never really did that because Liberty One, Liberty Two, Mellon, and Bell Tower were relatively laid out diagonally and the Di Bona Tower wasn't in that line; but now we are really seeing serious depth; Arch Street, JFK, Market Street, Chestnut Street, Walnut Street, and Pine Street

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:54 PM

I don’t think a large majority of the populations of Montgomery/Bucks/Delaware counties want anything to do with being annexed by the City of Philadelphia. No upside what so ever.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 5:28 PM

I hate to further an incredibly off topic discussion but I've always thought we should do what NYC did. Ditch the city-county and incorporate Mont/Bucks/Del into a much larger city limits, with individual borough-counties.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:15 PM

Sorry for continuing off-topic

What even would be the political process for annexing suburbs? I can't imagine the suburbs would be at all interested and we can expect nothing favorable from the state. McGrath's idea is interesting, but I have no idea how that would work.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhattersLT View Post
I don’t think a large majority of the populations of Montgomery/Bucks/Delaware counties want anything to do with being annexed by the City of Philadelphia. No upside what so ever.
exactly. Nonstarter- not worth discussing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
If we look at the amount of vacant lots from let's say Lehigh all the way to Ridge and Broad river to river we can determine that the population from the 50's and before was more densely populated in those 4 corners.

Now the population is even more denser in the areas between Spring Garden/Girard to Washington Ave River to River.

Thats not including the many Rowhomes and Apt Buildings that were razed, destroyed or rebuilt between that time and now with less or more people on those same lots.

Now that brings up the fact the reason why we have a mostly lets say 95% full housing rate in Northeast Philly and the population still isn't at 2 million, because for a while the population was more spread out over the area.

Philly's City Boundary is pretty big to if we would have annexed a little more we would be the size of NYC.

In regards to 2 million mark family size has contracted to less then 2 kids/family. Family size was at least 3 or 4 kids/family 40 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:12 PM

Kind of hilarious that we missed this, but on 1/28 (the day after the last post in this thread), there was a small update:

https://li.phila.gov/Property-Histor...ZP-2022-000889

Looks like this project’s official address will be on Chestnut. I doubt the design has changed, however.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Kind of hilarious that we missed this, but on 1/28 (the day after the last post in this thread), there was a small update:

Looks like this project’s official address will be on Chestnut. I doubt the design has changed, however.
Wasn't there allegedly supposed to be another tower with a Chestnut address, right where the current CVS sits? How would this one also have a Chestnut address if it's sitting on 19th and Sansom?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
Wasn't there allegedly supposed to be another tower with a Chestnut address, right where the current CVS sits? How would this one also have a Chestnut address if it's sitting on 19th and Sansom?
Yes. The two buildings immediately to the east of that CVS are owned by the same people who own the 19th street buildings.
It can have a Chestnut address if the lobby is on Chestnut. It's very similar to the situation that the Harper has across the street: despite being mostly on Sansom, the Harper has a 19th St address because of the entrance to the lobby that is located there.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Something is going on behind the St Patty’s pop up that never opened. It looks like they demo’s part of that building. You can see it from the end of Cav’s outdoor dining

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:45 AM
Midrise

Quote:

I think they used that permit and that address just to establish the 'unity of use,' but the plan I see attached to ZP-2021-002518 in eclipse shows the proposed entrance and residential lobby on the 19th St side.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/eclipse-docs...021-002518.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 4:19 AM

Sorry for the bump, but according to my massings the statue of William Penn will be just next to 2 Liberty Place from the top of this building. Unfortunately, the statue is blocked by 2 Liberty from The Laurel

Last edited by TK2001; May 18, 2022 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:57 PM

Saw this retail lease posted recently:

https://www.loopnet.com/property/182...101-881563500/. Does this project include use of those retail spaces?

The zoning permits are also no longer posted in the windows on Chestnut and 19th Street.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 3:44 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post

https://www.loopnet.com/property/182...101-881563500/. Does this project include use of those retail spaces?

The zoning permits are also no longer posted in the windows on Chestnut and 19th Street.
Only the rear portions of the two Chestnut St properties will be affected by the construction. The front portions were added to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places a couple years ago with Pearl's blessing. I don't think the zoning notices are required to remain posted, except while any variances are pending.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post

Probably means nothing, but that can happen when work is coming up soon.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 12:16 AM

Cavanaugh's Rittenhouse relocating to expanded, nearby spacel

Quote:
Cavanaugh's Rittenhouse is on the move with plans to relocate this fall to a nearby space after 12 years at 1823 Sansom St.

The popular Center City sports bar will shift a block west to a larger space at 1921 Sansom St. in a Pearl Properties-owned building connected to the real estate company's Harper apartment tower. Pearl Properties also purchased the building that currently houses Cavanaugh's.

Cavanaugh's will close this Sunday after last call. The newly constructed space has an expected timeline for opening of early to mid-September.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 2:45 AM

The people at cavs said they’re starting demolition next week. Nice to see some move to on this project. Cavs will feel weird being in a shiny new building though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals