HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 7, 2022, 10:59 PM

The previous picture shows the crane behind the Tempe Center for the Arts and this one is from the Novus FB page.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 6:33 PM

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 4:58 PM

The shopping center off of baseline, west of Price and the 101 is fenced up....looks like those apartments will be starting soon. I am shocked it must have passed the City Council despite the neighborhood opposition. I noticed in the next DRC there is a request to create a plot for the new development.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 5:00 PM

I've driven by the Eastline Village site....and although it is cleared...I noticed that there has been like a camper with a bunch of trash in one spot of the area that was cleared. Is there a squatter that they are trying to clear off before they start construction? Not sure if anyone else has noticed...maybe Mr. Essex from the lake adjacent parcel has migrated over to a new vacant spot to start a new hoard!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 9:25 PM

That’s hilarious!!!! Lol!!!!! Thanks for the laugh.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:40 PM

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:32 PM

Details emerge on planned $1.8 billion Tempe mixed-use project including Ferris wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Does the AZcentral article mention who the architect for South Pier is? Thanks
This latest PBJ article mentions the architect is Nelsen Partners. Man, I hope this project gets fully built-out even though will be split out in 7 phases over 15 years. Couldn't tell from the aerial site plan what phase the Ferris Wheel is part of, hopefully Phase 1 which is scheduled to break ground 1Q 2023.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-project.html

Quote:
A planned $1.8 billion, multiphased mixed-use project, which includes a Ferris wheel, will go before Tempe City Council on Thursday.

South Pier Tempe Holdings LLC, an entity of McBride-Cohen Management, was the successful respondent to a city-issued request for proposals for the site about three years ago, and the plans have been in the works since then, Maria Laughner, economic development program manager for the city of Tempe, said. The city had been working to develop the site since 2006, but those plans went dormant during the Great Recession.

The site is located at 1190 East Vista Del Lago Drive, south of the lake and north of the former Karsten Golf Course. Nelsen Partners is the architect.

Five of the seven lots that are included in the site are owned by the city, which allowed the city to pursue a large-scale master-planned development, rather than have multiple landowners develop their sites independently, Laughner said.

'Destination on the lake'
“We wanted to find a developer that would create something that is more of a destination on the lake,” Laughner said. The plans include a wide mix of uses, including class A office space, rental apartments, for-sale condo units, retail, entertainment, a hotel and central green plaza that can serve as event space. The plans also show a Ferris wheel located on the pier. The project is planned to be built in seven phases over 15 years.

The developer, McBride-Cohen Management, had done a very similar project in Washington state, Laughner said, giving the city confidence that the company could handle the scale of the project in Tempe.

“We have a lot of great stuff around the lake already,” Laughner said. “This might even be a step above all that we have.”

The city-owned parcels are eligible for a government property lease excise tax (GPLET) lease, where the city retains ownership of the land for a certain period to abate property taxes. The city plans to sell the land to the developer “in a phased manner,” according to city documents, and the developer will pay the appraised rate of $74.02 per square foot for the land.

The city had plans in place to eventually add another pedestrian bridge across the lake, which coincidentally lines up with the South Pier project. Laughner said the project plans to include the pier, with the Ferris wheel, as part of the pedestrian bridge, and said the developer will contribute funds to help the city facilitate the construction of the pedestrian bridge.

Amenities, food options
In total, the proposal includes 600,000 square feet of class A office space, 2,300 for-rent apartment units and 160 for-sale condominium units, 111,000 square feet of retail and 520 hotel rooms on 12.43 acres. City documents show the first phase in the project is planned to include a below-grade garage, 16,213 square feet of retail space and 248 apartment units. Construction on that phase is planned to begin on or before Jan. 31, 2023.

The development plans to bring much-needed amenities and food options to the area, Laughner said. The city has heard from office users on the eastern portions of the lake that they would like more lunch options closer to them, so workers do not have to drive to Mill Avenue or other places for lunch. The retail and restaurants will also bring “livability” to the residential projects under construction nearby, as well as others in the area.

Even during the pandemic, Tempe has maintained its office occupancy, Laughner said, and the South Pier project plans to include speculative office in later phases, specifically the third phase, according to city documents.

Council will hear a presentation about the development agreement at its meeting Thursday, and the project is scheduled to go to Council again for approval on Feb. 10.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:41 PM

Thanks for posting. Of course the ferris wheel will be the last phase. I'll probably be dead by then...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Awesome. Here is the proposed development agreement which has some additional information/renderings.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/c...2044306233.PDF

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:52 PM

Don’t get me wrong, this is impressive but how does a City like Tempe attract these development projects? Is there another city the same size as Tempe doing this? I’m just very impressed by the amount of development going on in Tempe.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:05 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Don’t get me wrong, this is impressive but how does a City like Tempe attract these development projects? Is there another city the same size as Tempe doing this? I’m just very impressed by the amount of development going on in Tempe.
Not that I can recollect. This is basically a full slew of downtown high-rises for a typical medium sized midwestern city!

Edit: Phoenix really needs to get it together or Tempe is going to be the main skyline of the metro in 30 years.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:35 AM

That lake is a big amenity to draw development to Tempe. About the only thing I can think of in downtown is a Hance Park, but I never understood how there can still be huge empty lots in that area. Especially with Roosevelt row, the Pemberton, Churchill all being trendy places.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 12:54 AM

Tempe seems to have a vision on how they want their downtown core to look like in the next 15 to 20 years. I don’t get that same feeling from Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:12 AM

Yeah man I don’t get it. Tempe is on fire and I can’t blame developers wanting to build in Tempe and not Phoenix.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Yeah man I don’t get it. Tempe is on fire and I can’t blame developers wanting to build in Tempe and not Phoenix.
Tempe is a smaller version of Austin. Sunshine, the lake and one of the biggest universities in the country. The future is bright!

Nelsen Partners is a great architect for this project - thanks for mentioning, ASU Diablo

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post

Edit: Phoenix really needs to get it together or Tempe is going to be the main skyline of the metro in 30 years.
I think that's doubtful phoenix has added as many high-rises in 5 years with no signs of slowing down.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:10 AM

I don’t understand the sudden downtown Phoenix hate. There is a 540’ tower that is going to break ground soon along with almost a dozen other 100’+ projects this year. I don’t think tempe has that many in the pipeline this year.

I won’t believe South Pier to be a reality until they break ground. You guys don’t remember the other 2 proposals in the last 20 years we’ve seen for this land? We’ve been through this rodeo before.

The Ferris wheel will be built when the city does the pedestrian bridge. Not the last phase.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 8:53 AM
Skyriser

^ Agreed. South Pier is pie in the sky.

It's easy to throw up towers when you have plenty of demand, are near a bustling downtown, and have abundant public transportation. South Pier is none of that--remember that spec office that stalled out and evaporated on the westernmost lot? Tempe is subsidizing South Pier developments which is ridiculous for a costly lakefront.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:59 PM

There's been a building under construction at that location for a long time and I always assumed it was abandoned. Is that the case?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 3:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
There's been a building under construction at that location for a long time and I always assumed it was abandoned. Is that the case?
Are you talking about the Pier? It's up to the 16th floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest