HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:45 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Here you go:

Major California earthquake would knock out cell service, communications, study finds

Rong-Gong Lin
Los Angeles Times
October 21, 2021

A major earthquake in California is likely to knock out many communications services for days or weeks, including the vast majority of cellphones in the areas closest to the epicenter, according to a landmark new analysis by the U.S. Geological Survey.

The widespread disruption would imperil the public’s access to 911 operators and lead to delays in reporting fires and calls for medical help.

Cell towers are vulnerable to sustained power outages. The same goes for cellular equipment on power poles and buildings at risk of extreme shaking, liquefaction and fire, the USGS said. California’s cellphone networks have been notoriously unreliable during blackouts that occur during life-threatening emergencies, such as during wildfires in 2019, where wide swaths of the San Francisco Bay Area were cut off from cell service for significant periods.

In a grim estimate of the challenges, a magnitude 7 earthquake that struck on the Bay Area’s Hayward fault could leave Alameda County — its hardest hit area — able to provide only 7% of the demand for voice and data service after the quake. That is identical to the communications service failure in New York City after the 9/11 attacks in 2001, when 93% of cellphone calls failed.

The findings in the USGS study are one of many vulnerabilities uncovered by the government agency, which formally presented its findings at a news conference Thursday.

The report comprises about 780 pages, adding to nearly 600 pages of findings released since 2018 on the so-called HayWired scenario. The report is the third volume in a series of reports researched over six years focused on a future earthquake on the Hayward fault; the final volume was written by 20 main authors and 80 contributors.

The Hayward fault has been called a “tectonic time bomb,” and a major quake on it represents a nightmare scenario because it runs through densely populated areas with old buildings, including directly beneath the East Bay cities of Oakland, Berkeley, Hayward and Fremont.

The Hayward fault is one of California’s fastest moving, and on average, it produces a major earthquake about once every 150 to 160 years, give or take seven or eight decades.

It has been 153 years since the last major quake — a magnitude 6.8 — on the Hayward fault. The USGS estimates a magnitude 7 quake today on that fault could result in at least 800 deaths; hundreds more could die from fire following the quake, which would make this scenario California’s deadliest since the great 1906 earthquake destroyed much of San Francisco.

In this hypothetical seismic scenario, electricity services could be out for weeks, while gas and water service could be interrupted for months. The USGS estimates an East Bay resident could be without water from six weeks to six months, and water supply outages could hobble firefighting efforts.

Ugh. Oakland never gets a break. I live 440 yards from the Hayward fault, at least that's what my neighbor says. We are prepared as one could be I suppose. Im more worried about where everyone in our family will be.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I read that article and it was a very popular share in the downtown LA Facebook forums because it's absolutely true. There are so many walking zombies here now due to the new meth and these people are lost forever
For 12 years I worked in several San Francisco drug treatment clinics including the somewhat famous Haight Ashbury Free Clinic. I totally agree that most of the visible homeless are either mentally ill or drug addicted or both and in San Francisco many are dying on the streets. I don't know much about this specific drug (I retired 10 years ago) but it does seem like fentanyl is what's killing people. Having encountered one apparently dead young (around 20) man who looked only recently homeless (because he was reasonably well-dressed) on a San Francisco sidewalk, I now carry Narcan along with my pepper spray everywhere I go.

But I think you should, and I do, make a distinction between homelessness and those living outdoors by necessity and raw anti-social behavior. Every city has recesses where people can live without being too in-your-face about it. I differentiate between taking a cr*p in some back alley somewhere and doing it on the sidewalk of Market St (SF's main central street) in mid-afternoon. So many of the homeless seem to have the attitude that they are going to take revenge on society and the people that are not homeless by behaving in the most anti-social ways they can think of and that is the point at which I think the law should be applied. There are certain things we should say you just can't do.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:18 PM

Bad policy had exacerbated homelessness in Portland. Its obvious. Even during the 2008 recession and the following 8 years when national poverty was at an all time high, point in time surveys were flat and homelessness was even going down. It wasn't until Portland got on board with the b.s. housing emergency declaration that shit hit the fan. Good luck putting that genie back. Now our tough talking mayor is planning to dismantle "problem" camps.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 6:28 PM

Honestly? Republicans. I can't believe how many there are in my part of Astoria, Queens based on the Curtis Sliwa yard signs.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Honestly? Republicans. I can't believe how many there are in my part of Astoria, Queens based on the Curtis Sliwa yard signs.
People, even Democrats, get sick of rampant crime and city policies that favor criminals over the law-abiding. It wasn't Republicans who elected Giuliani and Bloomberg. But I think Adams gives those tired of being prey enough hope that Sliwa probably doesn't have much chance.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:18 AM

Boise is relatively quiet when it comes to risks of living in the area. While I don't necessarily live in fear of these possibilities, they are indeed risks that are worth mentioning.

Idaho is ranked fifth in the nation for earthquake risk. In fact, we just experienced one in March 2020. It was a 6.5 magnitude. There are no projections of any big earthquakes, however, you just never know. As we've seen in history, a big earthquake can definitely leave a massive impact on a city.

Yellowstone super volcano. Boise is located just outside the main blast zone and in the first primary ash zone. It would dump an estimated 100–300 millimetres of ash over the city. While that doesn't initially sound like much, it would be enough to quickly alter our way of life.

Drought. Boise is situated in high desert up against the foot of the Rocky Mountains. We depend greatly on spring runoff and aquifers for our water. With climate change creating a massive impact on how much snow we get, drought is a serious issue. Just this past summer most of our reservoirs were extremely low.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
People, even Democrats, get sick of rampant crime and city policies that favor criminals over the law-abiding. It wasn't Republicans who elected Giuliani and Bloomberg. But I think Adams gives those tired of being prey enough hope that Sliwa probably doesn't have much chance.

let's face it both of these are very poor candidates.

people love sliwa and both he and adams are certainly hardcore and love their city, but while adams is a tool sliwa is too much of a clown to win.

of course we all said the same about that orange guy too ..., so we will see, but curtis will likely lose by a lot.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The crime rate in NYC has pretty much never been lower. At least since reliable stats have been tracked. The crime rate during De Blasio's two terms was lower than during Bloomberg's and far lower than during Giuliani's. And it's lower at the end of his administration than it was at the beginning. If someone is casting a protest vote because of crime then it is irrational, as the data does not back them up.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:07 PM

Armed gangbangers and armed yahoos. Both are increasingly plentiful in Austin.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:45 PM
The New Republic

Aggressive, violent people.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:56 PM

NYC is extremely safe. I feel safer here than I do when I go home to visit family in Huntsville, AL. My parents passed away last year and not only was their home broken into but the storage place we rented 60 miles away was also broken into and ransacked. Over 20 years in New York and I’ve never been the victim of a crime before.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 12:18 AM

List of things I worry about

1. Getting covid, even though I'm vaccinated ("breakthrough" infection); infectious new variants; can the medical system handle it?
2. Soaring inflation and supply shortages due to covid related bottlenecks, will they get worse?
3. Earthquakes and other natural disasters
4. Crime and societal breakdown, civil disorder; political polarization
5. International conflicts
6. border security and international migration (and I'm a liberal democrat)
7. Increasing homelessness, lack of affordable housing
8. climate change, drought, floods, fires, sea level rise etc.
9. Identity theft (totally out of control)

I'll add to list later. Just a partial list. Maybe I should try to be like Alfred E. Newman--"What, ME worry?"

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 28, 2021 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
1. Getting covid, even though I'm vaccinated ("breakthrough" infection); infectious new variants; can the medical system handle it?
2. Soaring inflation and supply shortages due to covid related bottlenecks, will they get worse?
3. Earthquakes and other natural disasters
4. Crime and societal breakdown, civil disorder; political polarization
5. International conflicts
6. border security and international migration (and I'm a liberal democrat)
7. Increasing homelessness, lack of affordable housing
8. climate change, drought, floods, fires, sea level rise etc.
9. Identity theft (totally out of control)

I'll add to list later. Just a partial list. Maybe I should try to be like Alfred E. Newman--"What, ME worry?"

Geez. If you rewind to 1966 SoCal. The worst fear would have been a wipeout from a giant wave on a surf outing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:07 AM
你的媽媽

NIMBYs and those that support them.

This is why we can't have nice things (skyscrapers and adequate housing) in SF.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246952

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:34 AM

^^^
NIMBYs are selfish. "I got mine, now leave me alone"

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 28, 2021 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Pittsburgh doesn’t have any natural disasters really, well except flash flooding, but that only effects communities that sit in tight valleys. Largest earthquakes we ever get are like barely 4s. I guess if Yellowstone erupts than Pittsburgh and the whole world will get fucked. Plus an asteroid I guess could crash through my roof and kill me.

Crime isn’t really a problem, except for a few ghetto neighborhoods, but that’s to be expected.

Don’t really have a large homeless population, although it has gotten a little worse downtown in the past 2 years, but nothing compared to DC or Philly.

As far as climate change goes, it’ll help Pittsburgh grow as Miami, nyc, etc go underwater; people will move here.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:00 PM

Obviously the biggest problem in New York is crime, you never know when you’re gonna get hit by a random stray bullet in Midtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 6:36 PM
Great White Norf

Where I live there's low crime, no natural disasters besides the occasional blizzard or ice storm, or in areas close to water occasional flooding.

Going from slow-near stagnant growth to now rapidly growing, I fear Niagara turning from an area that's a collection of small-medium towns and cities with idyllic farmland and abundant forested hiking/recreation areas/nice beaches on 2 Great Lakes, into one big sprawly over-priced mess like the Toronto suburbs/exurbs.

Increasingly the locals are feeling priced out of the housing market, and some are cashing out to people from the Greater Toronto Area and moving out of province to larger houses (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc) for much cheaper prices.

TL;DR:
-housing affordability
-sprawl ruining the character of the Niagara Region

Last edited by Wigs; Oct 28, 2021 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:51 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post

Increasingly the locals are feeling priced out of the housing market, and some are cashing out to people from the Greater Toronto Area and moving out of province to larger houses (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, etc) for much cheaper prices.
And to be around nicer people. I know lots of Torontonians who are thinking about leaving or already have. Most went to the Maritimes. Affordability was an issue but they all seemed fed up with the people here too. There are so many rude, inconsiderate, aggressive people in Toronto. They bully their way in front of you, don't care about anyone but themselves, and if you dare object to appalling and/or rude behaviour they fly into a rage.

My sister got screamed at just 3 days ago by a 35 year old couple for giving them 2m clearance on the sidewalk. My sister was being courteous and in return they start yelling at her? Crap like this happens almost on a monthly basis. Everyone I know has had horrible experiences like this. And not just once or twice. Its ongoing. You do your best to avoid people altogether but is that any way to live?

About two-thirds of my friends have left in the last 5 years. I like the city but maybe it's time to get out too.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ you don't say.......whatever happened to "new york run by the swiss"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions