HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well son of a bitch. Can anything stop this monster? God help us.
Hey! Watch your language! Do not inappropriate language on this forums.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 2:44 AM
Show me the blueprints

That makes so much sense. Thanks for that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 6:33 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger...raintightrope/

Hochul Walks LaGuardia AirTrain Tightrope

Written by David Peter Alan
Oct 7, 2021

Quote:
After only six weeks in office, New York state’s new chief executive, Gov. Kathy Hochul, is experiencing a test of her skills to walk the political tightrope; an essential task for any politician, especially in this part of the country.

The issue is the proposed LaGuardia AirTrain, a rail link that would connect with the MTA Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) and the 7-line (Flushing Line) of the subway system and serve as a shuttle taking riders to LaGuardia Airport. The project was well on its way to final approval, with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) having given it a green signal earlier this year. But disgraced former Gov. Andrew Cuomo had backed the project, and now that he is gone, it could be a whole new ball game. Elected officials and community groups in Queens, near the airport and the AirTrain’s proposed route, still oppose the project as strongly as Cuomo had supported it. Under Hockul, they hope to drive the final nails into its coffin, and some of them have asked a court to reverse the FAA’s approval.
Quote:
Hochul appears to be flexing her share of muscle at the Port Authority, and we will eventually find out how it reacts. In the meantime, the agency continues to defend the AirTrain project. While the Port Authority’s primary website, did not contain any recent statements about the project, a “fact sheet” extolling its benefits touted improvements to Flushing Bay promenade and local parks, economic benefits and job creation, educational benefits, community impact mitigation, and environmental benefits (download below). An “industry briefing” by the Port Authority given on March 17, 2021 (download below) summarized the project. In effect, the Port Authority was rebutting claims by project opponents.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tour...uction-2021-10

Delta is months away from debuting its new $3.9 billion terminal at New York's LaGuardia Airport with 37 gates and its largest lounge ever

Thomas Pallini
Oct 5, 2021

Quote:
-Delta Air Lines is two years ahead of schedule on its new terminal construction at New York's LaGuardia Airport.

-A new arrivals and departures hall, the largest-ever Delta Sky Club, and the second of four concourses concourse will open in spring 2022.

-The 1.3 million-square-foot terminal will feature 37 gates when complete in 2024.

Quote:
During the pandemic alone LaGuardia saw the addition of a new Terminal B arrivals and departures hall, as well as a new American Express Centurion Lounge.

Quote:
But just a few hundred feet away from Terminal B, the largest carrier at LaGuardia is getting ready to unveil the first stage of a new terminal of its own.

Quote:
Delta Air Lines has been constructing a replacement for its existing Terminals D and C at LaGuardia. While not yet passenger-ready, the airline is estimating that work is 80% complete with the opening of the arrivals and departures hall and the second of four concourses slated for spring 2022.

Despite the space constraints for which LaGuardia is infamous, Delta will come away with a single terminal that's more than double the size of its existing two buildings. Terminal C will cover 1.3 million square feet compared to the combined 650,000 square feet of Terminals C and D.

Quote:
The extra square footage gives Delta 37 jetway-equipped gated as opposed to 29 jetway gates and four remote gates between the two existing terminals.

The COVID-19 pandemic allowed Delta to speed up construction on the $3.9 billion terminal, moving up the timeline from mid-2026 to the end of 2024.

Quote:
Two roadways on the departures level will let travelers choose how they enter the terminal. No matter where passengers are dropped off, however, they'll have access to full-service and self-service kiosks.

Quote:
Large LED screens above the security screening checkpoint will help illuminate the terminal, undoubtedly with branding, messaging, and advertising.

Quote:
The consolidated security checkpoint below will feature 11 screening lanes, including dedicated lanes for the TSA's PreCheck program.

While there will technically be fewer lanes than in both current terminals combined, Delta is investing in new screening technology to quickly process passengers. Clear biometric kiosks will also be available for enrolled passengers to use.

Quote:
After security, passengers will have a large open space in which they can reassemble their belongings before heading to the gate. They'll also be greeted by floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the tarmac below.

Quote:
Before heading to the gates, eligible passengers will have the option of ascending to the Delta Sky Club through a mix of escalators and elevators located immediately after the security checkpoint.

The Sky Club will be the largest in Delta's network, a title that currently belongs to the airline's Salt Lake City location, offering passengers more than 30,000 square feet of food, drinks, and armchairs while waiting for a flight.

Quote:
Two full-service bars and food service areas will be available to passengers to prevent congestion and make it easier for passengers to access food and drink regardless of where they're sitting. Salt Lake City has a similar setup.

Quote:
Two outdoor patios will be available once the terminal is complete. One will be available to Sky Club patrons while the other will be open to all passengers.

Quote:
Depending on when they open, the outdoor patios may be the only outdoor space at LaGuardia. Terminal B has plans to create an outdoor area but that hasn't yet come to fruition.

Quote:
Smart glass also prevents the need for window shades as it automatically tints, preventing heat from moving through the glass and warming the lounge and terminal.

Quote:
This won't be the only Sky Club at the airport, however, as another location will be available in one of the concourses.

Quote:
Down below, Delta is working to solve the problem of aircraft congestion on the terminal's taxi lanes and alleyways.

Quote:
Dual taxi lanes will be constructed in between concourses. Multiple planes can be taxing in and out of an alleyway without having to stop and wait if, say, one aircraft is still pushing back from its gate.

Quote:
But beyond just the pure number of flights, the key factor for Delta is to increase the size of aircraft operating in and out of LaGuardia.

Aircraft as large as the Boeing 767 will be able to use the terminal but the gates are intended for aircraft as large as the Airbus A321 and Boeing 737-900ER. All gates can accommodate the 737-900ER while more than half can accommodate the A321.

Two gates can accommodate a Boeing 767, which is really in the event of an unscheduled diversion as LaGuardia doesn't currently see any aircraft larger than an A321 on a regular basis.

Quote:
At the time of our visit in August, Delta was operating 133 daily departures to 51 destinations and planning to grow to more than 150 daily departures in September.

The maximum number of flights Delta can fly in and out of LaGuardia per its slot agreement is 275. The new terminal is more than capable of handling that number.

Quote:
Delta and Canada's WestJet will also be the only two airlines using the new terminal. Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines are planning to move back to Terminal B once construction is completed there.

Quote:
Back inside the terminal, passengers exiting or not visiting the Sky Club will either go left or right down a connector hallway to their concourse after clearing security.

Quote:
Underneath the security checkpoint level is a long service corridor that runs the length of the terminal. Passengers will never see it.

Delta affectionately refers to it as the "Disneyland" as it's intended for workers to move across the terminal without being seen by passengers.

Quote:
What customers also won't see is the maze of conveyor belts feeding checked luggage through security scanners and eventually onto cars where they'll be brought to awaiting aircraft.

Quote:
Walkway bridges will meet both ends of the connector hallway to unite the headhouse with the concourses. Moving walkways will be available in each direction.

Quote:
Aircraft cannot, however, taxi under these walkway bridges as they can at Terminal B. Delta is focusing on dual taxi lanes instead to reduce congestion.

Quote:
Travelers can already get a glimpse at what to expect from the new terminal as the first of four concourses has already opened. Concourse G, as it's known.

Quote:
Delta plans to use Concourse G primarily for shuttle flights to Chicago, Boston, and Washington, DC.

Quote:
Just like in Terminal B, passengers arrive in the terminal quite high up and work their way up before eventually descending to the gates. Check-in is on level two, security checkpoint is on level three, the Sky Club is on level four, and the gates are on level two.

Those visiting the Sky Club on the highest level of the terminal will have ascended at a height of between 80 and 90 feet before heading back down nearly to ground level.

Quote:
A station for the proposed LaGuardia Airport AirTrain is not currently included in construction plans and likely won't make its debut next year. But that doesn't mean the terminal isn't planning ahead.

Quote:
If the LGA AirTrain is approved, a station will be located above a connector between the terminal building and the parking garage. Current construction plans are factoring in that possibility, despite the uncertainty surrounding the project and the recent shift in New York state government.

Quote:
The remaining concourse will open over the next three years as Delta looks to complete construction by the end of 2024.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 8, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 3:48 PM

I just flew into LaGuardia this morning on United and let me just say WOW!! Wow Wow WOW!!! What a transformation! Gorgeous. I have flown into LaGuardia a number of times, the last was in 2018 and it was all still such a sh*tshow. I was so happy that we were flying out of Newark which was so much nicer at the time. I cannot believe the transformation. Truly. It is mind boggling. The main Departure entrance / headhouse? is spectacular looking as you descend the escalators to ground transport. And the United gates!! It used to look like a rundown bus terminal, but this! Really Really Nice! Only thing that seemed off to me was the amount of carpeting.

I knew from looking at the pictures that the transformation was fantastic, but being there in person really brings it home. THIS is the airport that NY needs. What a way to arrive!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 6:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I just flew into LaGuardia this morning on United and let me just say WOW!! Wow Wow WOW!!! What a transformation! Gorgeous. I have flown into LaGuardia a number of times, the last was in 2018 and it was all still such a sh*tshow. I was so happy that we were flying out of Newark which was so much nicer at the time. I cannot believe the transformation. Truly. It is mind boggling. The main Departure entrance / headhouse? is spectacular looking as you descend the escalators to ground transport. And the United gates!! It used to look like a rundown bus terminal, but this! Really Really Nice! Only thing that seemed off to me was the amount of carpeting.

I knew from looking at the pictures that the transformation was fantastic, but being there in person really brings it home. THIS is the airport that NY needs. What a way to arrive!

Excellent testimony!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 9:27 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Hey! Watch your language! Do not inappropriate language on this forums.
As my late grandfather used to say, "No cussing in this house goddammit"

Also "inappropriate" only applies when such language is not appropriate. if someone is being a bloody son-of-a-bitch wanker twat then in that situation it is appropriate to politely inform them of this

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Last edited by jbermingham123; Oct 10, 2021 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 10:57 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post

You aren't kidding Over the decades I've visited New York City, for whatever reason arrival flights landed in LaGuardia, I've never experienced JFK or Newark. That said, I remember all too well on a Wednesday in 1993, the dinge, the vile-bile green carpet with stains of god-only-knows-what origins, you name it. That evening I was at Limelight on Disco 2000 night and all that entails and a week of clubbing like one could in their 20s and almost three decades later *still* can remember and yet can't unsee how god-awful LaGuardia was back in the day.

Fast forward to 2018 when the redevelopment was on its way but yes still a sh!tshow. I thought well at least it looks like they'll at least clean it up. Then two weeks ago we flew out of LaGuardia - it was like Star Trek Federation headquarters - I couldn't believe how modern, clean ... I dare say immaculate? I joked with my husband that if our flight home got delayed I wouldn't mind

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:30 AM
New Yorker for life

https://twitter.com/TRENDINGNYC_/sta...536708/photo/1

https://twitter.com/PANYNJ/status/1486744950549143562

Quote:
GovKathyHochul, Port Authority Exec Dir Rick Cotton, and
@terminalBLGA Gateway Partners celebrated the completion of new facilities at #LaGuardia Airport’s Terminal B, marking a major milestone in the terminal’s $4 billion transformation.

https://twitter.com/PANYNJ/status/1486757740211056641

Quote:
But it's not just about the architecture, the new skybridge offers some of the most spectacular views of New York City -- to get you in a New York state of mind.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes! I can see CTX-9800DSi. This is for inline baggage screening system. I see one at FLL and SEA, too. That is one!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 12:38 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/n...ompletion.html

’From Worst to Best’: Gleaming New La Guardia Terminal Opens

By Patrick McGeehan
Jan. 27, 2022

Quote:
For decades, La Guardia Airport was one of the most maligned airports in the country — leaky ceilings, cramped corridors, regular rodent sightings and broken escalators set a standard for the dreadful travel experience.

But on Thursday, the views and reviews were far different as state and local officials celebrated the airport’s revival upon the completion of a wholly new main terminal that shares nothing but a name and location with the old La Guardia along the Queens waterfront.

The transformation has been so remarkable that the terminal was declared the best new airport building in the world by an international panel of judges.
Quote:
”We’ve really gone from worst to best and I love it,” said Gov. Kathy Hochul, at a news conference in the last section of the terminal to open to the public, a sunlit skybridge that connects to 35 spacious new gates and offers a glimpse of the Manhattan skyline.

Despite the fanfare, the $8 billion overhaul of La Guardia is not yet complete. The construction of a second terminal by Delta Air Lines is scheduled to conclude by late spring, said Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the three big airports that serve the city.

But Mr. Cotton expressed relief at reaching another milestone in the yearslong campaign to revitalize the region’s airports. “I literally do not believe there was a single person who thought that the ambition to make La Guardia a world-class airport would be achieved,” he said.
Quote:
Adrienne Adams, the City Council speaker, who said she worked as a flight attendant for five years after college, called the new terminal “a shining example of New York’s potential for a full recovery” from the coronavirus pandemic.
The pandemic actually helped speed construction at the airport because it depressed air travel for much of the past two years, allowing major work without disrupting too many travelers. In 2020, the number of passengers using La Guardia dropped by nearly 23 million, or 73 percent, before recovering gradually through most of last year.
Quote:
The Port Authority, which is jointly controlled by the governors of New York and New Jersey, also operates Kennedy International Airport in Queens and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. Both those airports are a focus of the agency’s biggest-ever rebuilding campaign.

At Newark Liberty, an enormous, $2.7 billion terminal is being built to replace Terminal A. At Kennedy, Ms. Hochul has endorsed the agency’s plans for an overhaul that would include construction of a $9.5 billion international terminal.

But La Guardia is much closer to the finish line. On Thursday, travelers with memories of how unpleasant the airport had long been marveled at the makeover.
Quote:
“It’s like night and day,” said Annie Coakley, 46, of Chicago.

“When I got off the plane I was on a call with my brother and I said ‘Oh my God! They’ve done a big change here!’” she said. “The whole place is so bright and it looks very architectural, sharp, and it’s clean.”

Travelers used to race through the concourses trying to avoid making contact with any surfaces. Now they dawdle, watching the images projected onto a water fountain and taking selfies in front of art works that cover the walls.

“When you get off the plane it’s just so open and big,” said Chip Dehart, 53, of Phoenix, who was visiting with his wife, Saleta, 51.

“When we first started coming here it was really run-down, bathrooms were yucky, and we hated it for sure,” Ms. Dehart said. “I was just admiring the tile in the bathroom and it’s beautiful. The rainbow colors are beautiful.”

The enthusiasm was so contagious at the airport that Donovan Richards Jr., the Queens borough president, engaged in some magical thinking: “I don’t think La Guardia’s going to be the butt of any more jokes,” he said.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 1:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 12:37 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, they've done it.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...opening-deltas

Governor Hochul, the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey and Delta Air Lines Announce Opening of Delta's New Terminal C at LaGuardia Airport, Bringing a Whole New LGA Near Completion

Opening of the $4 Billion Terminal Means that Every Passenger at LaGuardia Airport Will Be Using World Class Facilities at the Nation's First New Major Airport in 25 Years

The Expansive New Terminal C, Nearly Double in Size to The Two Terminals It Replaces, Sports Soaring Floor-to-Ceiling Windows, 21st Century Technology and Locally-Inspired Concessions

In Partnership with Queens Museum, Evocative Permanent Artworks by Local Artists Highlight New York's Immigrant History and Cultural Diversity

Photos of the New Terminal C Available Here

Governor Kathy Hochul, Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Executive Director Rick Cotton and Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian today announced the opening of Delta's new Terminal C, which marks the substantial completion of the $8 billion whole new LaGuardia Airport just six years after beginning construction. The opening of Terminal C on June 4, combined with the completion of the new Terminal B earlier this year, means every passenger, except those traveling through the landmarked Marine Air Terminal, will experience new, world-class airport facilities when departing from or arriving to the airport. At a cost of $4 billion - including a $500 million investment by the Port Authority for new roadways and supporting infrastructure -- Terminal C represents Delta's largest ever investment in an airport facility. With today's milestone, coming mere months after the Governor celebrated the completion of the airport's new Terminal B in January, a Whole New LaGuardia Airport becomes the nation's first major new airport in more than 25 years.

"The transformation of a LaGuardia Airport into a world-class destination that is internationally recognized for its beauty is an integral part of our bold vision for a new era in New York," Governor Hochul said. "The opening of Delta's $4 billion Terminal C will help provide a state-of-the-art passenger experience, easing connections and creating lasting impressions. Congratulations to all who made today's milestone possible as we finish creating a whole new LaGuardia Airport worthy of New York. "

AUDIO PHOTOS
A New Terminal C Experience That Sets the Standard for Modern Air Travel

At 1.3 million square feet, the new, state-of-the-art Terminal C will be 85 percent larger than the two terminals it is replacing - consolidating access to 37 gates through a single 21st century arrivals and departures hall. Throughout the terminal, soaring floor-to-ceiling windows ensure it is filled with natural light by day. Terminal C has been designed for optimal efficiency and speed, allowing travelers to navigate to and from their gates quickly and intuitively, utilizing the latest technologies such as hands-free bag drop and Digital ID screening capabilities. A curbside check-in building will allow passengers who are already checked-in to get to the security screening area more quickly. The departures hall features 36 full-service check-in counters, 49 self-service kiosks and 16 bag-drop counters. A larger and consolidated security area will feature 11 screening lanes with room for five additional lanes in the future, featuring state-of-the art technology to expedite screening while prioritizing the safety of passengers. Dynamic signage in the TSA queue will display passenger wait times and will allow queuing zones to be adjusted based on passenger demand. On the arrivals level, passengers will be able to retrieve their luggage from one of five baggage carousels. There are 13 restrooms within the new terminal, all featuring touch-free entry, sinks and hand dryers.

Port Authority Executive Director Rick Cotton said, "In a word, the new Terminal C is magnificent - an architectural gem that dwarfs the facilities it replaces in size, style and functionality. It represents 21st century air travel that is world class in every respect - which can now be said of the entire whole new LaGuardia Airport, which six years ago was among the most reviled in the nation. I thank Governor Hochul for her support, the entire Delta team for their indefatigable efforts and the many employees of the Port Authority who collaborated to make this new world-class airport a reality. Today proves what our region can accomplish when we really put our collective will behind such an ambitious goal."

Delta CEO Ed Bastian said, "Today marks a new beginning for Delta customers and employees at our LaGuardia hub with the opening of this remarkable new terminal. It's been more than a decade since Delta committed to growing - and winning - in New York, and we've been unwavering in our efforts to become New York City's No. 1 airline. It's thanks to the 10,000 New York-based Delta people that we've been able to invest nearly $7 billion in New York airports since 2010, deliver the products and experiences our New York customers deserve, and become part of the fabric of the New York community that means so much to so many of us."

Port Authority Chairman Kevin O'Toole said, "The Port Authority remains wholly committed to improving its customer experience and its facilities across the region, and here at LaGuardia Airport we are seeing this take shape in a truly remarkable and inspiring fashion. The design of Delta's new Terminal C creates a bright, welcoming environment for travelers, airline and airport employees. The entire LaGuardia team worked tirelessly toward building a world-class airport, and we couldn't be prouder."

Inspiring Selection of Concessions Featuring Local and Global Brands

The completed Terminal C will include 80 percent more concession space than Delta's former terminals with 95 percent of those new concessions located after security, allowing passengers to shop and dine while waiting for their flights. Concessions will include local favorites in partnership with OTG like, Bubby's, Sunday Supper Trattoria, Chuko Ramen Poppy's Bagel and Starbucks while Stellar Partners will provide specialty retail stores like Buzzfeed News/, Beekman 1802, MAC, Le Labo, Briggs & Riley, Patricia Nash, Beekman and True to New York. Terminal C will also be home to the newest and largest Delta Sky Club in the system, providing over 34,000 square feet when complete to relax and recharge, with seating for nearly 600 guests.

The opening of Delta's $4 billion Terminal C will help provide a state-of-the-art passenger experience, easing connections and creating lasting impressions.

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. said, "The first new airport in the United States in 25 years is essentially done, and I couldn't be prouder that it's right here in Queens. Beyond the stark beauty of the new LaGuardia Airport, this redevelopment project has been community-focused every step of the way to the tune of $800 million in contracts for Queens businesses and I am grateful to all our partners who helped make it so. Queens comeback is well underway, and LaGuardia is living proof."

NYC Council Member Francisco Moya said, "Starting today, New York City will greet visitors and send off residents in style. We are the greatest city in the world and the Whole New LaGuardia airport brings our gateway to the world to that standard. Having worked at LaGuardia Airport and now representing it, seeing this massive investment in my community makes me proud. Congratulations to all who worked to bring this project from a wish to reality- delivering a world class experience to world class city."

President of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York Gary LaBarbera said, "Today's milestone for Terminal C is a major accomplishment for all of New York, as the vision for a Whole New LaGuardia Airport has been transformed into a reality. We applaud the tens of thousands of hardworking members of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York who have committed themselves to building a world-class and, what will soon be, world-renowned airport. Thanks to all those involved in this successful project, a Whole New LaGuardia Airport will help facilitate the best experience possible for those departing from, arriving to, and working at the airport."

Partnership for New York City President & CEO Kathryn Wylde said, "The completion of a new Terminal C marks an important milestone on the path toward achieving a world class airport system in our city. This was achieved through a public-.private partnership that should be a model for the next generation of infrastructure in New York."

Queens Chamber of Commerce President & CEO Thomas Grech said, "As the oldest and largest business association in Queens, we are delighted to stand with Governor Hochul, and our friends at the Port Authority and Delta to celebrate the opening of the new Terminal C at LaGuardia Airport. This historic $4 billion investment to modernize LaGuardia will be a boost to our region's economic recovery. We are proud of the role that Chamber members, particularly MWBEs have played in the transformation of LaGuardia, which does a wonderful job of showcasing the history and diversity that makes Queens so special."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:34 AM

Is the hotel portion of LaGuardia Airports redevelopment still on the table? Or is it dead?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Finally, the critics can rest. There will be NO rail to LaGuardia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/13/n...-airtrain.html

Plans to Build AirTrain to La Guardia Are Officially Scrapped

By Patrick McGeehan
March 13, 2023

Quote:
There will be no AirTrain to La Guardia Airport.

Gov. Kathy Hochul has abandoned plans to build a light-rail link to La Guardia after a review found that the project’s cost had ballooned to $2.4 billion, more than five times initial estimates.

….. Releasing the results of the assessment on Monday, a panel of transportation experts is recommending the less-expensive option of increasing public bus service to La Guardia and the addition of a shuttle between the airport and subway stations in northern Queens to reduce air travelers’ dependence on taxis and private cars.

“I accept the recommendations of this report, and I look forward to its immediate implementation by the Port Authority in close coordination with our partners in the M.T.A., city and federal government,” Ms. Hochul said in a statement on Monday.

….. The panel agreed that extending the subway to provide a “one-seat ride” from Midtown was “the optimal way to achieve the best mass transportation connection.” But they added that the engineers that reviewed the options could not find a viable way to build a subway extension to the cramped airport, which is hemmed in by the Grand Central Parkway and the East River.
Quote:
Even if a way could be found to extend the subway that would not interfere with flight operations at La Guardia, the analysis concluded, it would take at least 12 years and cost as much as $7 billion to build.

Improving and speeding up the Q70 bus and creating an all-electric shuttle service would cost a fraction of that amount, only about $500 million, said Ms. Sadik-Khan, former New York City transportation commissioner. She said the bus service would carry nearly twice as many passengers annually as the Willets Point AirTrain was projected to handle.

The estimated $500 million in capital spending would also go toward creating dedicated bus lanes along 31st Street and 19th Avenue in Queens and making the Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. station on the N and W lines accessible to people with disabilities, the Port Authority said. Some of that money could also be spent to create a mile-long lane exclusive to buses on the northbound Brooklyn-Queens Expressway between Northern Boulevard and Astoria Boulevard, the Port Authority said.

So basically, the same as always.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 11:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

No subway extension for now.

Heavy rail will eventually reach LGA, but it will be under the leadership of a different generation of city and transit leaders and hopefully under the guise of a larger citywide transit expansion initiative several decades from now. An unfortunate reality, but reality nevertheless.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 11:35 PM

Weird how a subway train at or slightly below grade would interfere with flight ops but the huge expressway doing the same is perfectly fine. Time and $ estimates are beyond insane anyway.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 11:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

The flight operations things is total nonsense.

What's most astonishing about this whole saga is that there was no apparent foresight on anyone's part to create a rough underground shell for a future subway/regional rail station and a rough idea of how an approach right-of-way would work WHILE SPENDING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO REBUILD LAGUARDIA! What city or country does that? No other alpha city would forego bothering to plan for such a link even if the details were unsettled. But this is the kind of thibg you get when there is essentially no long term transit vision for a region that is agreed upon - or even prepared - and the planning and projects you do see is usually done at the behest and whims of politicians instead of a well funded and universally supported transportation authority. Think TfL. Think RATP. Think MTR.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The flight operations things is total nonsense.

What's most astonishing about this whole saga is that there was no apparent foresight on anyone's part to create a rough underground shell for a future subway/regional rail station and a rough idea of how an approach right-of-way would work WHILE SPENDING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO REBUILD LAGUARDIA!
Well Cuomo had his plan and that was that. Until it wasn't and he wasn't.

It does occur to me that they could just run a spur off the LIRR at Willets right to the airport over the GCP. It's not like the Port Washington branch is running rapid transit schedules and doesn't have room for an airport shuttle to Grand Central every 10 or so minutes. Buy a few FLIRTs and install fare control at the airport station.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 12:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

A split Port Wash service with divergence from the very bottom of the Hell Gate approach just after Sunnyside, undergrounding and running parallel to BQE east of St. Michael's cemetery stopping at LGA and then returning at Willets Point is a thought ive had for years. You could run some in and outbound Port Wash trains via LGA and the rest of the LGA service run as a more frequent shuttle from Penn and/or GCT and Willets Point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development