HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 6:22 PM

That Pantages Theater proposal actually looks quite nice, but I think as has been mentioned, the time for that was 2 years ago, not now. They're talking about how much the community loves this theater, but as I have said repeatedly, where was the love for that theater before it was announced as being for sale?

It also still doesn't address how they would raise the funds for this ambitious project. Like was mentioned, people could vote to preserve them, but not raise their taxes, so it continues to sit empty for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
When I was at the UofU, my group was asked by UTA to work on the S-Line extension project. From what we discussed with them, it sounded like they had basically abandoned plans to direct the transit line northwards from its location due to the narrowness of the roads and public backlash in the area to the idea.

We were directed to work closely with both Millcreek and Holladay on the potential extension of the S-Line southwards along Highland Drive or along 1300 East (for at least part of the way).

Based on this, we suggested the line could first be extended from its current location in Sugar House to 3300 South, where Millcreek was developing its new downtown/community center.

It could then be extended further south along Highland Drive to Murray Holladay Road where the future Holladay Hills project was planned.

We suggested the line could be even further extended to Ft. Union Blvd in Cottonwood Heights, where it could either continue south along Highland to Sandy, turn west along Ft Union where the line would conclude at the Midvale Ft. Union Station, or turn east along Ft Union and conclude at Big Cottonwood Canyon.

While these last extensions into Cottonwood Heights, Sandy, or Midvale was our group's suggestions on very long-term extensions for the line, UTA was requesting research on what a line would be like at least as far as Murray Holladay (aprox 4700 South).

We found there were a few critical bottlenecks that would be an issue for the line, the first (and most pressing) being getting the S-Line from its current end-location to either Highland or 1300 East. It's interesting, because that short extension is the one the Utah legislature and UTA just funded this year.

So it does seem like, at least so far, UTA is continuing with the plan we worked on.
Yeah, I assume this is what evolved into the current Local Link study area? I do think that has a lot of potential, as that area is primed for increased density, and Millcreek's downtown redevelopment is moving along nicely. Having lived on 3300 South until about 2 years ago, that area needs some real transit solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
It sounds like the legislature is pinning all future mass transit on BRT. I am a fan of rail, and think it has some distinct advantages. BRT is a cost savings concept. Not sure I am sold on it.

Other than Front runner, it appears that investment in additional rail is DOA unfortunately.
I sitll have hopes for re-use of the rail on 4th West and some kind of downtown loop, but I do agree that additional streetcars - except for maybe the extension of the S-Line to Millcreek and Holladay - are extremely unlikely. My proposal to extend the S-Line north through the rich NIMBY area of Salt Lake is probably infeasible, but I do think a streetcar would be very successful on 200 South. That is the kind of street that is screaming for improved transit, but it seems that any such proposal is a long ways off, considering they only just finished a study of 200 South transit that didn't involve street cars at all.

I do think the slowdown in rail proposals may be temporary, as some in the legislature still are probably considering UTA's recent issues and re-organization, and they're still paying off the massive amount of debt they took on to expand the rail system in the first place. But Utah's legislature is much more pro-transit than most conservative legislatures around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
I mean I'm sure students do ride the bus more than other groups, but there is still a seriously long way to go to make the bus service decent. Last year, other students would be almost shocked when I told them I took the bus daily from campus to work downtown. After months of horrible experiences with the bus service here I just gave up and would uber almost everyday. I wasn't trying to be condescending towards people who have to ride the bus, as that was my situation last year, and I was speaking to my own experience as a student with student friends.

The trax is infinitely more reliable and easier to use in pretty much every case. Especially for many of us who grew up in suburbs without access or exposure to public transportation. I really tried to make the bus work for my situation, but it was so unbelievably unreliable (among other problems) on an almost daily basis. I didn't meet anyone who was taking the bus by choice, but I met many people who would willingly leave their car on campus to take the trax to work downtown.

I have had good experiences with the UVX in Provo, though. I would love to see something that reliable and simple to use implemented up here.
I guess that's been different from my experience. I know quite a few students who took the bus even though they had their own cars. Now, granted, it wasn't usually because they wanted to ride the bus, but because of how expensive parking passes are (and the fact that transit is free for students). Sometimes they would ride the bus and take their cars other times. But I do think the expense of parking passes has been effective in getting students out of their cars.

BRT on 700 East and/or 1300 East would help a lot with bus transit to the U of U and downtown though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
[CENTER]https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

2.37 acre project area.

58 townhouse units. Development includes a private BBQ area, Playground, Pickleball Court, and Community Garden for residents.
I actually like this townhome proposal a lot. I hope it gets approved. I understand density and street engagement are very important, but I do wish more condo and townhome proposals included this kind of community and green space. You can do that without sacrificing too much density.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
That Pantages Theater proposal actually looks quite nice, but I think as has been mentioned, the time for that was 2 years ago, not now. They're talking about how much the community loves this theater, but as I have said repeatedly, where was the love for that theater before it was announced as being for sale?
Apparently the theatre has been tied up in different contracts, and perhaps the community let down its guard and thought the city had it handled after the city council designated the theatre to be restored. Now that it’s threatened again, the community is speaking out and reaffirming that love.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 9:56 PM

It has been threatened for 2 years, that's my point. They've known that this was a realistic possibility for at least that long. The outrage didn't really seem to come until it was a done deal. There was a long process of trying to get a buyer for the project to restore it, and all of the deals fell through. That was the time to organize community involvement in preserving it. It's too little, too late.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 11:18 PM

I just emailed everyone on the SLC council, Mayor Mendenhall, Mayor Wilson, Governor Cox, and the UTA Board. Hopefully it helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Since the topic of TRAX downtown has come up... here is the map I am using in my pitch for the Rio Grande plan:

Things to note:
  • The Black Line has officially changed its name to the Orange Line, according to some UTA people I've talked with. I don't know the reason why.
  • This map is probably... too much. I don't expect every one of these service routes to operate all at once - at least not until TRAX trains become autonomous and drive themselves! This is more a concept to show what possibilities can be unlocked by moving Salt Lake Central Station to the Rio Grande depot. That said, I have designed this map to work with 10 minute headways on all lines - so let's just say this map is possible, but improbable.
  • UTA has been planning on moving the Green Line to 4th West for some time. This would free up capacity on Main Street and make running the Orange Line more tenable. However, 4th West is still 2 blocks away from the current Salt Lake Central station, and so the planned 4th west line would bypass the central station completely. If SL Central was moved to the Rio Grande, it is close enough to 4th West to justify cutting the 4th West line over to the depot, thus integrating the Rio Grande Depot into a tight urban loop.
  • The Downtown Circulator line - shown in Yellow - could potentially run 24 hours a day, and would operate entirely within the free fare zone, providing invaluable circulation through downtown. It is also almost EXACTLY the same size as the 'EL' loop in Chicago, proving it is just the right size for a human-scaled transit system.
  • I am showing the S-Line traveling all the way into downtown, traveling clockwise around the downtown loop to balance the Blue Line traveling counter-clockwise. This is a personal preference, and there are other ways to balance out the Blue Line. My opinion is that having a Light Rail network and a separate Streetcar network is needlessly complicated, and the mandatory transfer from the S-Line to TRAX at Central Pointe is seriously impairing ridership. So in this scenario, UTA would run the S-Line like a slow TRAX line on the 2 mile stretch from Highland Drive to Central Pointe, then as a regular TRAX line from Central Pointe to downtown.
  • I am very happy that the talk of the S-Line expansion seems to be solidifying towards the south. I like the idea of it going to 33rd South, mainly because of the East-West commuter line I am showing here. That line would be built on the north side of I-80, and would include a commuter rail stop between Highland Drive and 1300 East. A transfer to the S-Line at that location is too good to pass up - but at this point the East-West line is still just a fantasy, as the Rio Grande plan is already a big ask all on its own.

I'm sharing all this because it makes me super excited about SLC's transit potential. If it makes you excited too, then consider sharing the Rio Grande plan with your elected representatives! Everyone I've talked to so far is super excited about the potential, with the major doubt being the amount of public support. So let's build that support! This city is our city, and it is up to us to make it the best it can be.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It has been threatened for 2 years, that's my point. They've known that this was a realistic possibility for at least that long. The outrage didn't really seem to come until it was a done deal. There was a long process of trying to get a buyer for the project to restore it, and all of the deals fell through. That was the time to organize community involvement in preserving it. It's too little, too late.
The proposal to tear down the theater is new.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 3:36 PM

New Sugar House Project - Alta Terra

Project Description
Quote:
With our development partner Alta Terra, the BKV-designed Sugar House project is a 2 building development located in the heart of the Sugar House neighborhood outside of downtown Salt Lake City. As a heavily amenitized, market-rate development containing micro-units, Sugar House uniquely features co-working spaces where communal working zones are paired w/living & recreation spaces which creates an immersive co-living environment. From scenic mountain views, to a close-knit neighborhood, to an engaging place to live, work, & play, Sugar House has it all.

https://www.sugarhousecouncil.org/al...ness-location/

Last edited by Pencil; Apr 18, 2021 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:02 PM
Space Magi

I'd seen that there was something planned on that lot but the details and renderings are new. Looks pretty good and it will be very prominent from I-80.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:16 PM

I like it. Nice location across from the park too.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 11:54 PM

Today I stopped in at The Peoples Coffee to grab a drink. I was speaking with an employee there and asked him if he was aware of the proposed Worthington project on that block. He told me that the developer is trying to get everyone out by the end of this month, with plans to start construction this summer and no later than this fall. He said their coffee shop is moving to 2nd and 2nd and the Tavernacle is hoping to move to The Gateway. He said everyone is disappointed in the developer because most of them signed a 5 year lease and still have 3 years on it but it looks like they will be forced out of the lease early. The employee said the development would be the cities tallest at 31 stories. However, that appears to be inaccurate based on the info we've seen so far. Sounds like at least a few of those businesses will still remain in the city.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:24 AM

I'm glad it seems like some of those local staples have a place to go. It's really pretty scummy of the developer to do what they're doing though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:21 PM

Alta Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post

Project Description
Quote:
With our development partner Alta Terra, the BKV-designed Sugar House project is a 2 building development located in the heart of the Sugar House neighborhood outside of downtown Salt Lake City. As a heavily amenitized, market-rate development containing micro-units, Sugar House uniquely features co-working spaces where communal working zones are paired w/living & recreation spaces which creates an immersive co-living environment. From scenic mountain views, to a close-knit neighborhood, to an engaging place to live, work, & play, Sugar House has it all.

https://www.sugarhousecouncil.org/al...ness-location/

I pulled out some additional elevations and information about the project

The project includes two buildings, 346 total residential units, and 345 total parking stalls.

The North Building will be 10 floors, 228 residential units and 238 parking stalls.

The South Building will be 8 floors, 118 residential units, and 107 parking stalls.

Project Site

Site Plan

North Building Elevations & Landscape Plan

South Building Elevations & Landscape Plan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:07 PM
Space Magi

Here are some shots of the West Quarter from April 12th, found on Twitter. These are starting to make a big impact!

I also came across some images of the now fully-enclosed Rice-Eccles Stadium that hosted the Utes' spring football game on Saturday. It still seems unfinished but damn is it a big improvement:

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:32 PM

My friend got some awesome new footage of downtown last night. The video below has some really great drone shots of the progress on 95 State and Liberty Sky.

https://youtu.be/fHhBg9IqbIE

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:25 PM

Sounds like Coachmans is officially closed -- Taylor Anderson with Building Salt Lake said he'd be looking for more details on what's coming next.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
My friend got some awesome new footage of downtown last night. The video below has some really great drone shots of the progress on 95 State and Liberty Sky.

https://youtu.be/fHhBg9IqbIE
Really nice shots. 95 State is a great looking building, especially with the curvature of the glass. Liberty Sky... well that's another story. I really hope they add more to the exterior than just exposed concrete (I'd expect they would, but I've seen that look in cities like Seattle).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:10 PM
Space Magi

Liberty Sky is essentially a copy/paste with some slight changes of a building called "SkyHouse" that's been built almost identically in a bunch of cities (by the same architect) like Houston, Atlanta, Denver, Charlotte, etc. (source) It's an okay looking building all things considered, and it's taller-looking than expected, but the thing I dislike about it the most is the way it's oriented with respect to the street.

95 State is going to be the best-looking tower in the city when it's done, imo. That glass is primo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Sounds like Coachmans is officially closed -- Taylor Anderson with Building Salt Lake said he'd be looking for more details on what's coming next.
I'm looking forward to this project. The owner got the upzone he wanted and has said he has big plans in the works. Also, your post is #10,000 in this thread. Maybe it's time for Part 6 with a new development summary at the beginning?

Last edited by Atlas; Apr 19, 2021 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 8:49 PM

Wow, the West Quarter is really taking shape. I didn't even recognize it at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Here are some shots of the West Quarter from April 12th, found on Twitter. These are starting to make a big impact!

I also came across some images of the now fully-enclosed Rice-Eccles Stadium that hosted the Utes' spring football game on Saturday. It still seems unfinished but damn is it a big improvement:

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Almost closed:

https://www.sltrib.com/artsliving/fo...tpEZ9VHVPnRxzo
Diners have one more day to eat at Coachman’s Dinner and Pancake House
Iconic Salt Lake City restaurant to close after Tuesday to make way for multistory condos on that busy corner of State Street.

Quote:
The well-known Coachman’s Dinner & Pancake House in Salt Lake City is closing to make way for a new development.

Many patrons and passersby learned of the iconic 1960s-era diner’s demise over the weekend from a notice posted beneath its towering State Street lamplight and sign, saying the locale would be shuttered “after 60 successful years.”

“Thank you! We were honored to serve you and be a part of many celebrations with great food and service,” the message at 1301 S. State St. declared. “We will miss you!”

A longtime customer echoed the views of many loyal fans, lamenting the closure on Facebook and noting the restaurant’s vintage decor, less-expensive prices, large portions and specialty in cooking classic American comfort foods like pancakes and fried chicken.

“This is sad news,” wrote diner Spencer Burt.

Owner Mike Nikols did not return calls from The Salt Lake Tribune seeking comment. An employee at the restaurant said it would close for good Tuesday, after serving customers from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. that day.
Hopefully we will find out more about the plans for the area soon.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:52 PM
They all float down here

I mean, do we really need to wait to know what the plans for the area will be?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it'll have five or so floors, with a bit of brick, white stucco and maybe some black or gray thrown in.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:53 PM

View from Edison St. parking lot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West