HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:03 PM

A bunch of new stuff came out of city planning last night.

First, next week's planning commission presentation is up. Only one new item - the FNB tower for the Lower Hill. This has been discussed extensively already, as details have slowly leaked out via press releases and other presentations. My feelings haven't changed much. The tower itself is fine, if a little understated save for the 26 stories. I really don't like how the G4 parcel is set aside for open space considering there's already so damn much open space within the master plan. Regardless, it's nice to see something concrete happening...finally...in the Lower Hill.

In addition, a new ZBA is up for the first week of May. There are two small new construction projects.

1. An infill home in Crawford Roberts. No address is given, but this seems to be the location. The design is fairly modern - and I believe this is a market-rate house. The builders seem to want to take advantage of the site location, by having what would normally be the "front façade" of the house face the interior side yard, allowing for huge windows with a panoramic view of downtown (the house is situated near the top of a hill). Even with the hill, I would be worried their view corridor might be partially obscured when the next lot down eventually fills in.

2. A nice little mini-infill project in Manchester. Basically this rebuilds most of a now-vacant block of Manhattan Street, with three new infill houses and one historic home significantly expanded with a new-construction rear wing. All of the homes will have a common driveway, obscuring garages from the street. The new homes will be built in a new traditional style, and at first glance from the front seem indistinguishable from the Second Empire mansard rowhouses common in the area. My only real issue with the design is the window placement on the corner unit seems...random...on the front section, with only one window on the first floor (not centered) and two spaced too close together on the second floor. But that's a small complaint.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 16, 2021 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The tower itself is fine, if a little understated save for the 26 stories. Regardless, it's nice to see something concrete happening...finally...in the Lower Hill.
Yeah, I just want to see the damn thing built already.

It's an attractive enough tower... and at around 420' in height, it will definitely make a mark on Pittsburgh's skyline. It should actually be quite prominent given its eastern edge location and the site elevation, which is roughly 50' higher than the US Steel site on Grant St. and roughly 75' higher than downtown's western edge.

So the elevation should give the new tower an appearance of a 500-footer on the skyline. Only wish that the massive site would be utilized for a couple more taller buildings.

This, coupled with the planned Strip District tower, will really alter the skyline when viewed from the N and NE.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:12 PM

LG Realty on time to turn over Liberty East space to Whole Foods by October and complete full development by the end of the year

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...erty-east.html

anyone have any info on what's gonna happen to their existing location on centre ave? or care to speculate on what might happen there?

i guess the owner could demo it and build an apartment or office building - or trader joe's could move there if they wanted a bigger store

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:34 PM

“Tech flex” office space.

Pittsburgh’s real estate people love that shit. Even though they have no idea what it is.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 5:53 PM

A new 128 unit apartment building (looks to be 9 stories) proposed in North Oakland - 419 Melwood Ave

https://www.opdc.org/design-developm...cts/the-julian

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
A new 128 unit apartment building (looks to be 9 stories) proposed in North Oakland - 419 Melwood Ave

https://www.opdc.org/design-developm...cts/the-julian
That's an odd place to put a new highrise, as it's kinda a low-traffic, quasi-industrial part of North Oakland. It doesn't even directly front on Baum, with another building on the corner. But I'm guessing working with the UI zoning there is a bit more flexible than some other parts of Oakland would be. It might raise less NIMBY ire as well...projects up thataways seem to sail through a lot easier.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 16, 2021 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 7:55 PM

I think that spot in N. Oakland would be a terrible place to live.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think that spot in N. Oakland would be a terrible place to live.
At least it's a quick walk to a pretty decent Indian buffet.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:13 AM

Quote:
At least it's a quick walk to a pretty decent Indian buffet.
Really? Which one?

I’m looking for a good Indian buffet.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 6:43 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
That Indian buffet referenced is garbage. The best Indian buffet by far is the Taj Mahal on Mcnightmare road. Check their website though as only every other day or so is the buffet. It’s probably one of my top three fave restaurants in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Really? Which one?

I’m looking for a good Indian buffet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
That Indian buffet referenced is garbage. The best Indian buffet by far is the Taj Mahal on Mcnightmare road. Check their website though as only every other day or so is the buffet. It’s probably one of my top three fave restaurants in Pittsburgh.
Eh. I like All India because I'm vegan and everything at the buffet is clearly labeled (and there are lots of options). It's much, much better if you manage to get there around the beginning of the lunch/dinner time when everything is fresh though.

That Taj Mahal is pretty good, though I've only eaten there once or twice. My favorite Indian food in the area is the Tamarind in Scott Township. I really like South Indian food, and for some reason (probably because there's more Indians locally) the food is much better than the one on S. Craig.

I don't get to eat Indian anywhere near as much as I'd like though, because my wife is really picky regarding Indian food (she'll basically only eat paneer cooked tandoori style) and my daughter refuses to eat anything.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:36 PM

Cool thanks, All India and Taj Mahal. I’ll check em both out.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:42 PM

No kids today, and I needed to stop into the office, so I decided to bike into work and spent a good deal of time taking pictures on the way back.

I am far from a professional photographer, but I tried to get a number of shots of construction/recently constructed buildings across the Strip and Lawrenceville.

Approaching the new office building (I believe it's called District 15 2.0?) in the Strip.

Another view.

The completed building alongside it, along with view of the completed rehab (with attached parking garage) over on Smallman.

Serious urban canyon vibes on Waterfront Place

Another angle of the new apartment building.

The far end of the building set had completed cladding. I actually like the cladding on the new buildings more than the Edge 1909 on the next block. It seems more honest regarding what the building is actually made out of.

Looking backwards at the block.

Wine and Spirits has moved in...

The new apartment building which is next to the Cork Factory, and looks oddly like a ship.

Other side of the building. Seems like it will be a nice inviting alley when it's done and the trees are grown in.

New condo building on Smallman

Still mostly a dirt pile, but this is where the new, larger condo building on Penn is going to be. View from the alley.

New Three Crossings office building.

Seems like a nice inviting plaza.

Rehab of small building in Strip.

Small spec office building in Upper Strip. Still completely vacant.

Moving on to Lawrenceville...

Doughboy Square Apartments (affordable housing).

The other Doughboy Square Apartments building...

And another angle.

This building was very slowly constructed, finished up around the beginning of the Pandemic. It was supposed to have another Big Burrito restaurant on the ground floor, but that fell through for obvious reasons.

New condo building being constructed on Butler.

I tried to take some pictures of Arsenal 201's second phase, but it was really hard to get a good context. It might have been better if I had went up on the bridge for a semi-overhead shot.

More of Arsenal 201 Phase 2

New infill house I stumbled across on my way home.

This one isn't brand new, but it went from a vacant lot to complete in like six months, which shocked me.

It's funny seeing Stinky's gentrified now.

Mini-development in Upper Lawrenceville.

There's a house that looks like this on every block.

The most interesting thing about this stand of three houses is it's on Wickliffe Street - way the hell up in Upper Lawrenceville, literally as far as you can go before you hit Stanton Heights.

Last edited by eschaton; Apr 19, 2021 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:00 PM

Nice! Thanks for the grand tour. Lots of stuff being built along this whole stretch... all kinda looks the same, of varying quality. I wonder what this style will end up being called?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:09 PM

Also, the townhouses along Waterfront Place look pretty nice to me, and I'm sure they're pricey. And I also like the looks of this next apartment phase better.

However, it seems flipped around to me... like the townhouses should be fronting or backing up to the riverfront, and the long apartment blocks should be where the townhouses are.

Maybe it's just me, but I would feel kinda cheated if I was a townhouse owner. Or maybe it's just that the these townhouses really don't belong here? At least not in this configuration.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Also, the townhouses along Waterfront Place look pretty nice to me, and I'm sure they're pricey. And I also like the looks of this next apartment phase better.

However, it seems flipped around to me... like the townhouses should be fronting or backing up to the riverfront, and the long apartment blocks should be where the townhouses are.

Maybe it's just me, but I would feel kinda cheated if I was a townhouse owner. Or maybe it's just that the these townhouses really don't belong here? At least not in this configuration.

I didn't take any real pictures, but the townhouses are over 90% done. The last row of them has only a little external work left, like putting on external lights and landscaping. They look buttoned up though from the elements. Every other row seems done with at least some of the houses inhabited.

I think they did it this way because the space between the back of the Terminal parking lot and where the street would go was rather narrow - too narrow arguably to build a modern apartment building. Since they were building an effectively new street it's arguable that they could have jogged it further down, but I can understand the desire to continue Railroad Street all the way through.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
No kids today, and I needed to stop into the office, so I decided to bike into work and spent a good deal of time taking pictures on the way back.

I am far from a professional photographer, but I tried to get a number of shots of construction/recently constructed buildings across the Strip and Lawrenceville.
Anyone else having issues seeing the photos? I can't see any of them.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:22 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
Anyone else having issues seeing the photos? I can't see any of them.
Same, I can't see any.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:47 AM

Okay, I fixed them all now.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:11 PM

"Approaching the new office building (I believe it's called District 15 2.0?) in the Strip."

the smallman street elevation of the prefab concrete parking garage is UNACCEPTABLY AWFUL - how does crap like this get approved?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations