HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlHeel View Post
If population growth is slow in the city limits, that only happened last year.
And I think a vibrant city helps the rest of the state.
Boston is only slightly larger than ATL by population and they have several large scale projects. Granted the big dig was a huge debacle and the silver line to Logan airport a disappointment, but they have more regional support there than Georgia. Of course Georgia has business friendly policies that in some regards limit political support of these type of projects, but if there is a will, there is a way

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:20 AM

Freedom Park Master Plan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:27 PM

green is freedom park, purple line is beltline. think the designer made a mistake.

would be awesome if they actually implemented that pedestrian bridge at moreland.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I noticed they want to connect the Beltline to Freedom Parkway with a spur trail that goes from the skatepark along a wooded area adjacent to Freedom Lofts Condo building. That would be nice because (as I had lived in this area for over 10 years) this area around Freedom Park is not pedestrian friendly in areas.

They also envision making the Freedom Parkway extension a 2 way street, and removing the one way street that goes south of the Carter center. That would expand the parkland in that area. The only problem I see with this is it would be difficult for buses to access the Carter Center, so they would have to work with the Carter Center to figure out how to expand access for Buses on the north side of their property.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 1:26 AM

It’s wild there isn’t a sidewalk on the west side of freedom parkway between Ponce and Ralph McGill. I think that and the extension to the BeltLine there would we great.

Also agree repurposing the southern section below the presidential library and the connection of that from just south of ralph mcgill would be huge for the park. I’d rather the funds go towards that and other general bike/ped improvements.

IMO, pedestrian bridge is a lot more expensive than creating a safe way to cross the street on Moreland and ticketing people who block the intersection in vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
It’s wild there isn’t a sidewalk on the west side of freedom parkway between Ponce and Ralph McGill. I think that and the extension to the BeltLine there would we great.

Also agree repurposing the southern section below the presidential library and the connection of that from just south of ralph mcgill would be huge for the park. I’d rather the funds go towards that and other general bike/ped improvements.

IMO, pedestrian bridge is a lot more expensive than creating a safe way to cross the street on Moreland and ticketing people who block the intersection in vehicles.
let's be real, the cops won't even ticket cars parked in bike lanes...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
let's be real, the cops won't even ticket cars parked in bike lanes...
School zone cameras, bb. They’re already on site.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:01 AM

Bank of America Plaza Urban Park To Open This Summer

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 8:51 AM

This is a good idea. BoA plaza has always been a building better appreciated from afar. There's very much a "non-employees are not permitted" vibe to the existing plaza. It would also be nice to see the other side of the plaza redone.
Does anyone know where the car entrance on North goes? It seems like a weird design choice to have the only direct street frontage of Atlanta's biggest tower be a service entrance. It's right where one would imagine a grand entrance and a lobby.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
This is a good idea. BoA plaza has always been a building better appreciated from afar. There's very much a "non-employees are not permitted" vibe to the existing plaza. It would also be nice to see the other side of the plaza redone.
Does anyone know where the car entrance on North goes? It seems like a weird design choice to have the only direct street frontage of Atlanta's biggest tower be a service entrance. It's right where one would imagine a grand entrance and a lobby.
Agreed. This looks amazing but why not just do the other side as well. Missed opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 9:02 PM

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Break ground in 2023 and finish in 2025? I wish. I will be stunned if this actually gains momentum.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Break ground in 2023 and finish in 2025? I wish. I will be stunned if this actually gains momentum.
If this is the one that Chick-fil-a/Home Depot/etc. were rumored to be backing since a couple years ago then I could see them having the pull to help drive this. And Biden owes us one for delivering him not only a win, but a senate under D control.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
If this is the one that Chick-fil-a/Home Depot/etc. were rumored to be backing since a couple years ago then I could see them having the pull to help drive this. And Biden owes us one for delivering him not only a win, but a senate under D control.
hmm very interesting.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:08 PM

And as currently proposed, it's a terrible project. They're proposing a surface level collector/distributor street along the west side of the connector. They try to downplay it in the renderings, but it's a high speed one-way street with new interstate entrance/exit ramps that will be a new barrier to pedestrians. Much of the park space would have to be elevated - so you would not be able to just walk/bike across, rather there would be walls along Williams street on both sides of the project. It's very clear that this is an interstate traffic project. The stated goals are to increase motor vehicle throughput on the connector.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
And as currently proposed, it's a terrible project. They're proposing a surface level collector/distributor street along the west side of the connector. They try to downplay it in the renderings, but it's a high speed one-way street with new interstate entrance/exit ramps that will be a new barrier to pedestrians. Much of the park space would have to be elevated - so you would not be able to just walk/bike across, rather there would be walls along Williams street on both sides of the project. It's very clear that this is an interstate traffic project. The stated goals are to increase motor vehicle throughput on the connector.
Quote:
It's very clear that this is an interstate traffic project. The stated goals are to increase motor vehicle throughput on the connector.
Say what?!?! Don't you think if the primary driver of this project was traffic related they could have done it a hell of a lot cheaper if they didn't include building a 25 acre park across a 18+ lane SUPERHIGHWAY?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's Back View Post
Say what?!?! Don't you think if the primary driver of this project was traffic related they could have done it a hell of a lot cheaper if they didn't include building a 25 acre park across a 18+ lane SUPERHIGHWAY?
Let's flip that around. Don't you think if the primary driver of this project was pedestrian/bike and quality of life, they could have done it a hell of a lot cheaper and more effectively without creating a new distributor system, several car flyovers that will limit pedestrian movement, and new interstate exits that will dump out right on to 5th street?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Let's flip that around. Don't you think if the primary driver of this project was pedestrian/bike and quality of life, they could have done it a hell of a lot cheaper and more effectively without creating a new distributor system, several car flyovers that will limit pedestrian movement, and new interstate exits that will dump out right on to 5th street?
I used to live in Boston. Look at the rose Kennedy greenway on google maps. Based on what I have read, this is one of the key projects inspiring the design of the Atlanta project. I also believe it is well understood that creating a street grid is good urbanism, and it appears they are doing just that in this project.

You bring up a good point that some of this park will need to be elevated due to the topography near the NCR headquarters. Unfortunate, yes, but I don’t see an easy way to make the park level with the street grid in this area. I believe new development along the park will be built to complement the elevated park, just as they are doing along the east side Beltline

I also believe you can’t sell a project like this without making some road improvements. The highway is important infrastructure for the city and state, and this is a regional asset. We just can’t think of things in the terms of what is good for local people, especially with federal dollars likely funding the project.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
hmm very interesting.
Interesting indeed...Imagine how cool this space would be if they moved Music Midtown Festival to this park. It would be close to the urban feel at its original location where the Federal Reserve is now.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I used to live in Boston. Look at the rose Kennedy greenway on google maps. Based on what I have read, this is one of the key projects inspiring the design of the Atlanta project. I also believe it is well understood that creating a street grid is good urbanism, and it appears they are doing just that in this project.

You bring up a good point that some of this park will need to be elevated due to the topography near the NCR headquarters. Unfortunate, yes, but I don’t see an easy way to make the park level with the street grid in this area. I believe new development along the park will be built to complement the elevated park, just as they are doing along the east side Beltline

I also believe you can’t sell a project like this without making some road improvements. The highway is important infrastructure for the city and state, and this is a regional asset. We just can’t think of things in the terms of what is good for local people, especially with federal dollars likely funding the project.
I agree with your first two paragraphs. RKG in Boston physically created a new buried interstate to create a flat, surface level new series of parks with a complete streets grid. The Atlanta proposal has none of this. Multiple parts are at different elevations due to the grade change on the existing interstate, and the new "grid" they plan to create has multiple overpasses so that it won't intersect with the new interstate distributor lane at every node. Look closely at the new 6th street and try to see how that will make sense for pedestrians. There are even big pedestrian bridges to keep people off the car-only streets. This will definitely lead to more cars in the area.

As for not selling a project like this without road improvements - what about the Beltline? It's a perfect example of a large-scale infrastructure project in Atlanta that involves no improvements for motor vehicles, and in many cases even slows down car traffic due to new pedestrian crossings and road diets (e.g. Irwin street crossing; Bill Kennedy).

All of these problems are fixable in the proposal.

Last edited by shivtim; Mar 18, 2021 at 12:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta