HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
Speaking of low/affordable income housing. Denver and Aurora seemed to be working on putting in some higher density mid-rise housing on East Colfax. I think Denver may have even bought a few lots on Colfax. I haven't heard of any latest development of progress. Does anyone have any updates?

I REALLY think that area would clean up quite a bit when more folks are living on the Avenue with more eyes and ears on things, and less chance for shady dealings. Over time, I think the area would progress nicely with more people living there and less motels and crap to attract misguided individuals.
There was a city council vote tonight approving one of the East Colfax projects, I think.

Unfortunately the motels provide housing as a last resort. I tend to think this should be provided by the government instead of seedy motels but the reality is that if all the motels closed a lot more people would be in tents, including families.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Is there any movement on any of the pending Lennar projects in GT? They have a tower under construction at 10th and Bannock but they have another 3-4 towers in the pipeline.
The one at 11th & Bannock (caddy-corner to Modera) should be starting this summer as well. Going to be a busy couple of years on that block. I believe there is some extensive sewer work (upsizing the main) that has to be done in Bannock so the street will be all torn up for a period of time as well.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:11 PM

The shoeshine guy on the 16th Street Mall died. Not development related I suppose but big loss for Denver. Loved that dude even though he talked mad shit about my shoes.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:51 PM

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Modera Cherry Creek at Second and Madison has broken ground and is well under way.

Source

Dang, I had pretty much given up hope... figured you were a COVID casualty. Yup, I had you pegged as a goner. You can imagine my reaction when I saw you had posted in real life... in real time. Sooo exciting.

THANKS for the add-on update. I did happen to see where Mill Creek had purchased the site/land back in September of 2019 but couldn't find where anything else had been done. But there's nothing better than the eyes and ears of the 'man on the street.'

Srsly, I hope you're doing well and an Urban Welcome Back.

Speaking of Modera Updates:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Modera Golden Triangle - 323 units, 8 stories, construction start 3rd quarter 2021:

When first I saw this I thought it looked rather ordinary but after a couple of (sleepless) nights I fell in love. It has a nice 'refined' look don't you think?

Obviously economics came into play in Mill Creek reverting to their standard 7/8-story design. While the balconies aren't 'recessed' they have the illusion of being so from the setback. On the ends it's real close. Again more of a cost saving or actually a more efficient space utilization design - but I can like it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:39 PM

Ascendant News Site, Axios, has gone local
with Denver being a featured city and being handled by Alayna Alvarez and John Frank.

Photo courtesy Denver Convention Center

The Colorado Convention Center had a rough year but could fuel local revitalization
March 1. 2021 By John Frank, Alayna Alvarez - Axios
Quote:
Keeping the Colorado Convention Center closed for most of 2020 cost "far more than expected," Richard Scharf, the president and CEO of Visit Denver, told Axios.

By the numbers: The economic impact of lost convention center business and related hotel bookings last year topped a whopping $720 million.

Why it matters: Denver's largest meeting space serves as a major economic driver for the downtown district, hosting hundreds of events each year for thousands of people who put their pennies into hotels, shops and restaurants.
What about the long delayed CCC expansion?
Quote:
The years-delayed $233 million expansion — which includes another 80,000 square feet in meeting space and a new rooftop terrace — remained on track during the pandemic.

Officials are now boasting "definite plans" to break ground in June and open in late 2023.
As I have previously asserted, doubling the original convention center's size was a key catalyst in downtown's growth by really putting Denver on the Convention Map. That's why all those hotels nearby have been built. This expansion & enhancements should keep all those visitors coming back, hopefully strong in 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
The shoeshine guy on the 16th Street Mall died. Not development related I suppose but big loss for Denver. Loved that dude even though he talked mad shit about my shoes.
That is both funny and sad.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Source

Source

Dang, I had pretty much given up hope... figured you were a COVID casualty. Yup, I had you pegged as a goner. You can imagine my reaction when I saw you had posted in real life... in real time. Sooo exciting.

THANKS for the add-on update. I did happen to see where Mill Creek had purchased the site/land back in September of 2019 but couldn't find where anything else had been done. But there's nothing better than the eyes and ears of the 'man on the street.'

Srsly, I hope you're doing well and an Urban Welcome Back.

Speaking of Modera Updates:

When first I saw this I thought it looked rather ordinary but after a couple of (sleepless) nights I fell in love. It has a nice 'refined' look don't you think?

Obviously economics came into play in Mill Creek reverting to their standard 7/8-story design. While the balconies aren't 'recessed' they have the illusion of being so from the setback. On the ends it's real close. Again more of a cost saving or actually a more efficient space utilization design - but I can like it.
Thanks for the WB! For all the bickering, Skyscraper is mostly an optimistic, forward facing website. The past year has not fit that description and like many I felt more like hunkering down. But the clouds are lifting now. It feels like a real mile marker in time, and not sure what it all means. But I am hopeful that for my hometown the news is good.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:30 PM

Who knew what was brand new right in Denver's back yard?

Logo image courtesy Wazee Partners

7333 W 38th Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

Image courtesy of Wazee Partners via Apartments.com

Image courtesy of Wazee Partners via Apartment Finders

Above images courtesy Wazee Partners via RENTCafe

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-treeline.html
Quote:
West 38, a 165-unit multifamily community in Wheat Ridge, sold recently for $64.42 million, according to Jefferson County property records.

The Class A+ property, which includes 7,243 square feet of ground-floor retail, is located at 7333 W. 38th Ave. The recently completed project went from 0% occupancy to 95% occupancy in the span of eight months in 2020, one of the fastest lease-ups of a large-scale multifamily property in the Denver metro, according to Newmark Research.

A Newmark team represented the seller and developer of the project, Wazee Partners.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
8 Story, 77 unit apartment building with approx. 1000 sq ft of ground floor commercial space and 60 parking spaces.
Site development plan recently submitted for 1616 N Pearl, across the street from Bespoke Uptown. Submitted by some sketchy millenial-bro developer from London called Noel & Partners

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Site development plan recently submitted for 1616 N Pearl, across the street from Bespoke Uptown. Submitted by some sketchy millenial-bro developer from London called Noel & Partners
I assume you knew this site was 'for sale' since August 2019 by RE/MAX NORTHWEST for $3.3 million and is now UNDER CONTRACT.

Source

Sounds like Condos? (Here's to sketchy millennial bros)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 8:03 PM

So, was anyone here in Denver for the 2003 blizzard? The models coming out today are leaning hard into Denver getting potentially over 2 feet of snow this weekend.......

I bring this up as I have been in Denver since 2015 and know how historic that storm was.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:45 PM

Looks like Demo work is underway for the Denver Health office to residential conversion at 655 Broadway. Anyone know if they changed the scope since they announced this project?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:48 PM

Lost power for four days

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
So, was anyone here in Denver for the 2003 blizzard? The models coming out today are leaning hard into Denver getting potentially over 2 feet of snow this weekend.......

I bring this up as I have been in Denver since 2015 and know how historic that storm was.
Office closed early on Tuesday, March 18 and I caught a noon 38 bus from downtown to Wheat Ridge. I knew this was going to be a big storm when the bus was having major problems making it up the relatively slight incline of 38th Avenue west of Wadsworth. Tree branch broke through our electric, cable and phone wires (a trifecta!) at around 7:30 that evening and it wasn't until I was able to buttonhole an Xcel crew that just happened to be in the neighborhood on Saturday that I was able to get power restored (and I'm still thankful, 18 years later). It was a wet, sloppy storm. Temp wasn't ever that cold, so it melted fairly quickly, but it sure was a mess for about a week or so.

But, we needed the moisture......

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 10:08 PM

I was in Highlands Ranch and it was an absolutely insane amount of snow. I just remember our block had huge piles of snow that looked 8 feet high from clearing the neighborhood streets to allow cars to go in and out. I'd be shocked if I experienced anything comparable to that ever again.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 10:28 PM

The Walmart Supercenter at Chambers and Parker Road had a buckled beam due to how heavy the snow was. Carports collapsed all over the Metro area. Meteorologist said the water content of the snow was so high, that had the snow been the champagne powder of December, the snow would have been 7 feet high. In Southeast Aurora, 3 lanes were reduced to 2 in what became a bobsled run for cars with 3 foot snow walls on each side. Crazy storm. Mountains of snow took weeks to melt in mall parking lots around town.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I was living in Broomfield at the time, commuting to CU Boulder for school and Louisville for work. That was a pretty epic storm, which was well over 2 ft. Highway 36 wasn't even visible from the bluffs to the north where I lived. All of the snow was plowed into our street (a weird half cul-de-sac bulb off the main road), so my car wasn't going anywhere for over a week. There were plenty of 4-8 ft. snow drifts either from the wind or from plows.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:08 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:

I lived in Cap Hill and we lost electricity for a while and everything ground to a halt because the streets were horrible, but there was still enough foot traffic that the sidewalks were passable. This also meant that the bar staff was still able to get to work and we just spent a couple candlelit evenings getting soused. Beyond things like the roof of 1082 (now Vinyl) collapsing, the thing I remember most is that someone made a giant 7 foot-high snow phallus at about 11th and Washington and it stuck around for weeks afterwards.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:17 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:

Yes and if history proves true, all the NIMBYs will be up in arms about the snow ruts in their roads come next Tuesday. We got much more than 2 ft in 2003 though. The foothills were insanity, 6-7 feet of snow walking through snow tunnels.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:20 AM

I ask because the US model (GFS) has been EXTREMELY aggressive with putting over 4 inches of water equivalent in the form of snow over Denver. If you apply a wet snow ratio (8:1, 9:1, 10:1), we either match or exceed 2003. The ECMWF (European) model is less aggressive, but still has around 2.5 inches of water equivalent, which puts us closer to 2 feet.

This will get clarified in the next day or two as models slowly converge, but unless there's a significant drift in the guidance, this weekend is going to be a bit cray cray on the snow front.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:28 AM

We get to find out how many of the new homeowners in Denver cut the rafter ties in the attic of their 1920s bungalow to place their new WFH office. We repaired the roof framing for so many Denver houses for many years after that storm (I was a senior at CU when the storm hit, but designing repairs was my first structural engineering job out of college).
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucolo View Post
But, we needed the moisture......
Well played !

And the 'man on the street' anecdote was fun. Who steps up to get electricity for their own neighborhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
I lived in Cap Hill and we lost electricity for a while and everything ground to a halt because the streets were horrible, but there was still enough foot traffic that the sidewalks were passable. This also meant that the bar staff was still able to get to work and we just spent a couple candlelit evenings getting soused. Beyond things like the roof of 1082 (now Vinyl) collapsing, the thing I remember most is that someone made a giant 7 foot-high snow phallus at about 11th and Washington and it stuck around for weeks afterwards.
Great memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
We get to find out how many of the new homeowners in Denver cut the rafter ties in the attic of their 1920s bungalow to place their new WFH office. We repaired the roof framing for so many Denver houses for many years after that storm (I was a senior at CU when the storm hit, but designing repairs was my first structural engineering job out of college).
Cool story; what a great way to jumpstart your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
The Walmart Supercenter at Chambers and Parker Road had a buckled beam due to how heavy the snow was. Carports collapsed all over the Metro area.
I forgot about that Walmart beam; at that time I lived off Parker/Belleview.

My primary memory is the snow shoveling (over and over) and resultant body aches.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West