HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:58 PM
Registered Ugly

We'll take it out in Beaverton.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:54 PM
BANNED

My goodness the protests were just one moment in time during a period in timed a pandemic stopped the world. For godsakes I don’t even remember the last time we had a protest here. Even Gucci decided now was the time time to open the first store in oregon. In DOWNTOWN! Lol also Apple is back open. I for one think Portland is going to have a huge post pandemic boom.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:06 PM

2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. Should I go on?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:12 PM

Nothing has fundamentally changed about Portland's attractiveness as a candidate for MLB expansion, especially considering that every city has experienced a global pandemic and a battered economy. Portland remains, if not in the pole position, among the leading contenders (along with Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville, Mexico City). It's just a matter of when MLB decides to expand from 30 to 32 teams. Whether or not Oakland and Tampa retain their franchises will determine if there are 2 or 4 openings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlexus View Post
2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. Should I go on?
Haha and literally nobody cared then

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:57 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else here is skeptical about Portland's chances of securing a MLB franchise. A year or so ago, I was somewhat confident. Today, not so much. The battering that our city has endured over the past year, from the opioid/homeless crisis to near-nightly riots has left our civic reputation in tatters. If there was a definitive conclusion on the horizon, I might not worry so much. While some of this is economic, the greater damage is from a pervasive alienation that makes our common project seem more like a pipe dream. When will it finally be over? No one seems to know.
Oh no, not even a little bit concerned about this when it comes to the chances of getting an MLB team. After this pandemic, the league is going to be looking to expand and they are well aware that Portland is a viable place for one of those teams. Keep in mind, MLB isn't looking at what just happened in Portland, they are looking at the city in the lens of the next several decades and if it can sustain a team. This is where the economics of the city and region really come into play which overrules anything we have seen during the pandemic.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh no, not even a little bit concerned about this when it comes to the chances of getting an MLB team. After this pandemic, the league is going to be looking to expand and they are well aware that Portland is a viable place for one of those teams. Keep in mind, MLB isn't looking at what just happened in Portland, they are looking at the city in the lens of the next several decades and if it can sustain a team. This is where the economics of the city and region really come into play which overrules anything we have seen during the pandemic.
That’s why I’m laughing people think some protests in 2020 in one moment of time will hinder this

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
That’s why I’m laughing people think some protests in 2020 in one moment of time will hinder this
I get it, 2020 was a life changing year for all of us, but it was just one year. I know if the MLB expands, we are in line to get one of those two teams. With the Rays looking like they are stuck in St. Pete for the foreseeable future and the A's looking like they are more focused on where their new stadium will go in Oakland, having an expansion team looks like Portland's best chance.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Nothing has fundamentally changed about Portland's attractiveness as a candidate for MLB expansion, especially considering that every city has experienced a global pandemic and a battered economy. Portland remains, if not in the pole position, among the leading contenders (along with Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville, Mexico City). It's just a matter of when MLB decides to expand from 30 to 32 teams. Whether or not Oakland and Tampa retain their franchises will determine if there are 2 or 4 openings.
Is Las Vegas still a contender as well? A friend of mine was under the impression they would be Portland's biggest competition for landing a franchise.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:15 PM

Good news....Biden admin just revoked Trump invoked "Cities that permit anarchy and terrorism" designation from PDX. Unfortunately the protests and destruction continue downtown. Portland's reputation is devastated and will take years to reestablish. There are too many reasons why MLB wouldn't come here. I want to believe PDX is still in the running !!

Last edited by Natural; Feb 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:46 PM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
Good news....Biden admin just revoked Trump invoked "Cities that permit anarchy and terrorism" designation from PDX. Unfortunately the protests and destruction continue downtown. Portland's reputation is devastated and will take years to reestablish. There are too many reasons why MLB wouldn't come here. I want to believe PDX is still in the running !!
Trump may not be in office anymore but the people destroying our city are and will still be here... The leadership at the city/county/state level is the problem and what will ultimately lead to things like MLB skipping town.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 12:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Trump may not be in office anymore but the people destroying our city are and will still be here... The leadership at the city/county/state level is the problem and what will ultimately lead to things like MLB skipping town.
Oh I doubt it.. It’s protesting every major city has it

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:19 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
I still doubt that will be an issue for MLB. Portland is 22nd in the television market, it has a growing population, and has a group that is actively trying to bring a team here. That matters much more to MLB than some small protests.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:54 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Oh I doubt it.. It’s protesting every major city has it
😂😂😂

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:20 AM
A before E

MLB-to-Portland hopes get boost as Oakland Athletics approved to explore relocation options

Probably, maybe, well maybe not.

This could just be another threat to Oakland to green light getting a new stadium built. Or this could be a serious look to move the team to another city. I think Portland would be the top of the list for where the team could move to, though I do think Vegas is a possibility when it comes to throwing money at a state of the art stadium. So who knows, this could be great news, disappointing news, or just non-news.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 4:38 PM

In John Canzano's column from last week, he makes the argument that geography works in Portland's favor over Vegas since LV already shares territory with a half dozen MLB teams while PDX only has the Mariners to contend with.

(Source: "The next important step in the MLB to PDX movement belongs to you and me", The Oregonian, May 2, 2021)

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 6:18 AM
A before E

It looks like Oakland will be having a city council vote on the future of the A's with the new location they want to build their stadium and the $2 billion price tag they want from the city on July 20th. Right now this whole looking at options to move is just leverage, but after July 20th, it could be a much different story.

My guess is that it would either be Las Vegas or Portland that would get the team if they moved, which Vegas has an awful regional TV viewership compared to Portland. Plus Portland would be a better location to help out the Mariners and the A's for reducing their travel distances.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It looks like Oakland will be having a city council vote on the future of the A's with the new location they want to build their stadium and the $2 billion price tag they want from the city on July 20th. Right now this whole looking at options to move is just leverage, but after July 20th, it could be a much different story.

My guess is that it would either be Las Vegas or Portland that would get the team if they moved, which Vegas has an awful regional TV viewership compared to Portland. Plus Portland would be a better location to help out the Mariners and the A's for reducing their travel distances.
I think with Oakland losing the Warriors and Raiders recently, they’ll have no choice but to give the As whatever they want

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I think with Oakland losing the Warriors and Raiders recently, they’ll have no choice but to give the As whatever they want
Having a team isn't a necessity for a city, frankly the land proposed for a stadium in Oakland could be better used for mixed-use development and parkland.

An arrangement like the one between the Timbers and the city for the Providence Park expansion is the worst I'd support. Such a deal wouldn't put the city at risk for a sport that has seen it's attendance slipping in the 21st century. The state's existing funding mechanism could be used for infrastructure costs.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:31 PM

Quote:

An even bigger part of getting the Oakland stadium approved is that the entire development is carrying a $12b price tag, making it one of the largest/most expensive developments in California history. I'm believe the stadium is a package deal with the rest of the redevelopment of the terminal location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment