HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #56541  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 9:30 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post




The paintings appear to be flush with the rest of the sign panel, so while they may have been inspired by merry-go-round artwork, I don't think they were actually taken from one.

[...]
Right, frequently they are curved along with the curved frame of the merry-go-round; but sometimes carousel artwork along the edges of the main structure (and decorating the inner core/axle) can be flat rather than curved:


pinterest
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56542  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:54 PM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Right, frequently they are curved along with the curved frame of the merry-go-round; but sometimes carousel artwork along the edges of the main structure (and decorating the inner core/axle) can be flat rather than curved:
Yes Odinthor, sometimes things can be so confusing and strange. The other day I was looking at the cloudy sky over Hollywood and one of the clouds looked like a bunny rabbit and another one looked like a lion. Can you imagine that?

I usually don't talk about it on NLA....I just keep it to myself.

I guess we have a new topic on NLA...carousel artwork.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56543  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:32 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 371
Beckman's cousin was a circus painter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56544  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 4:11 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,128
.
Whoa

Do tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56545  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:15 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,128
.
We have seen Santa Monica's enormous Arcadia Hotel on NLA but I believe this might be a view that we haven't seen before.



eBay


I'm curious about the large barn-like building on the far right. I'm quite sure we haven't seen it before.





Here's a closer look at the structures to the south of the hotel including the structure in question. - - - - - - ->


detail





Oh, and one last thing.

I believe this is a photographer's wagon. (you can see it at far left in the detail immediately above)



I don't believe it's a portable dressing room because the bathhouse, no doubt with changing rooms, is right there.


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 1, 2021 at 1:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56546  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:22 AM
riichkay riichkay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 128


What was going on in the city on this apparently chilly 1950 afternoon?....let's check the Her-Ex headline.....




"Dorsey Says City Can Be Ordered To Ban All Autos Blocking Streets" (I think).....seems rather draconian, but without the context it's hard to say what was being proposed.


The "Dorsey" in question appears to be Ralph T. Dorsey, city traffic chief....


1920's


He gave us the world's greatest pacifier, otherwise known as the pedestrian push-button signal.....a mini-bio from here:  https://ladot.lacity.org/sites/defau...fornia.pdf  ......


Ralph T. Dorsey was the first Traffic Engineer for the City of Los Angeles and a colorful and remarkable person. He was born in Downtown Los Angeles and received a high school education. He was the nephew of Susan Miller Dorsey after whom the high school in Los Angeles is named. He was a short, wiry man who became a semi-pro baseball player, a flyweight boxer, a miner and finally, an electrician, a trade that he learned from correspondence school. He was employed as an electrician with the City of Los Angeles when the first experiments with automated traffic signals were underway. 

He was the inspector of the initial signal system of 31 intersections in Downtown Los Angeles. In this capacity he not only became an expert in the operation of traffic signals, but more importantly in the operation of traffic through signal timing techniques. The roots of traffic engineering lie in the art of safe and efficient intersectional traffic operation. Dorsey epitomized that art by being the first person to successfully control pedestrians, operate an interconnected signal system (with a control center), develop optimum signal system offsets, and develop 16 daily timing plans all by 1926. In 1928 he pioneered reverse lane operation, and in one case, 12th Street was operated as a reversible one-way street. Also, in1928 he applied the first known railroad pre-emption features. He installed the first known pedestrian push button signal in January 1929.

He had the longest tenure as the City’s top transportation official. From June 1930 until his retirement in 1954 he headed the Bureau of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Traffic Engineering and the Department of Traffic. He indeed was a pioneer, an innovator, a character and one who invented ways to keep traffic flowing long before there were standard practices.   
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56547  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:01 AM
Beaudry's Avatar
Beaudry Beaudry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 677
Greetings all! I've been away for a spell so it's taken me a while to write and say thank you for the nice words said about the book here and here. BHLA has certainly been well received!

So, speaking of Bunker Hill, I thought it might be of interest to the assembled that there's been something of a discovery...where once there were no extant surviving houses from the Hill, it seems there is one, and a good one at that...





Read all about it here https://bunkerhilllosangeles.com/2021/02/27/a-survivor/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56548  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:02 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,128
.

Two slides take in "1967, Venice". (per the seller)



eBay

This is my face....when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.







This kid said 'Hold my beer'.


eBay

The blonde boy in the white t-shirt might be the kid on the right in the first slide.



Has anyone heard of the advertisers. . . Royal Star Apartments or Ron's Restaurant?



.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 2, 2021 at 4:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56549  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:45 PM
AlvaroLegido's Avatar
AlvaroLegido AlvaroLegido is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 276
Dorsey !

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
The "Dorsey" in question appears to be Ralph T. Dorsey, city traffic chief....


1920's


He gave us the world's greatest pacifier, otherwise known as the pedestrian push-button signal.....a mini-bio from here:  https://ladot.lacity.org/sites/defau...fornia.pdf  ......


Ralph T. Dorsey was the first Traffic Engineer for the City of Los Angeles and a colorful and remarkable person. He was born in Downtown Los Angeles and received a high school education. He was the nephew of Susan Miller Dorsey after whom the high school in Los Angeles is named. He was a short, wiry man who became a semi-pro baseball player, a flyweight boxer, a miner and finally, an electrician, a trade that he learned from correspondence school. He was employed as an electrician with the City of Los Angeles when the first experiments with automated traffic signals were underway. 

He was the inspector of the initial signal system of 31 intersections in Downtown Los Angeles. In this capacity he not only became an expert in the operation of traffic signals, but more importantly in the operation of traffic through signal timing techniques. The roots of traffic engineering lie in the art of safe and efficient intersectional traffic operation. Dorsey epitomized that art by being the first person to successfully control pedestrians, operate an interconnected signal system (with a control center), develop optimum signal system offsets, and develop 16 daily timing plans all by 1926. In 1928 he pioneered reverse lane operation, and in one case, 12th Street was operated as a reversible one-way street. Also, in1928 he applied the first known railroad pre-emption features. He installed the first known pedestrian push button signal in January 1929.

He had the longest tenure as the City’s top transportation official. From June 1930 until his retirement in 1954 he headed the Bureau of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Street Traffic Engineering, the Department of Traffic Engineering and the Department of Traffic. He indeed was a pioneer, an innovator, a character and one who invented ways to keep traffic flowing long before there were standard practices.   
Fascinating subject ! Thanks. His glasses are very 1920s...
__________________
AlvaroLegido
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56550  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:42 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Fascinating subject ! Thanks. His glasses are very 1920s...
Its a relief to have a post about a person rather than the usual building!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56551  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:46 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Two slides take in 1967, Venice.



eBay

rquoise"]..[This is my face..[COLOR="PaleTu/COLOR]when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.


.
Those end-riders probably didn't have the coins for the ride.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56552  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:26 AM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
We have seen Santa Monica's enormous Arcadia Hotel on NLA but I believe this might be a view that we haven't seen before.



eBay

I hope nobody ever attempted to dive off of the pier in the foreground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56553  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 6:36 AM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Two slides take in 1967, Venice.



eBay

This is my face....when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.







This kid said 'Hold my beer'.


eBay

The blonde boy in the white t-shirt might be the kid on the right in the first slide.

Has anyone heard of the advertisers. . . Royal Star Apartments or Ron's Restaurant?

.
It was like jumping on the Cable Cars in SFO. Hop a ride until you got caught. It was only 10 cents when I was a kid, but I didn't always have ten cents.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56554  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:09 AM
BillinGlendaleCA BillinGlendaleCA is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.

Two slides take in 1967, Venice.



eBay

This is my face....when I noticed the two young boys riding in front.





.
That first slide is not in Venice, that's Santa Monica. The Casa Del Mar Hotel is in the background.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56555  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:15 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
That first slide is not in Venice, that's Santa Monica. The Casa Del Mar Hotel is in the background.
Well, Venice adjacent...

(The Venice border is 9/10mi down the beach)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56556  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 5:43 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
What was going on in the city on this apparently chilly 1950 afternoon?....let's check the Her-Ex headline.....
_________________________________________________________________
Thanks, riichkay, for deciphering that headline, as I had been trying to do that and got nowhere!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56557  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:36 PM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
That first slide is not in Venice, that's Santa Monica. The Casa Del Mar Hotel is in the background.
Or Synanon, the drug rehab clinic, as it was known then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56558  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:08 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 15,128
.


There was an episode of Mannix that took place there when it was a drug rehab clinic. Does anyone remember that episode?





Update:

I found it!




The episode was 'Delayed Action'.


Season 1, Episode 22 (aired on March 2, 1968)


Only a few scenes were shot on location.

Video Link


If I remember correctly it's a pretty good episode.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 3, 2021 at 3:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56559  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:19 AM
CaliNative CaliNative is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,871

1920's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Fascinating subject ! Thanks. His glasses are very 1920s...
Since we are back in the '20s, I prophesize owlish circular horn rim glasses will come back into style. O-O Hopefully, flappers will also magically reappear

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 3, 2021 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56560  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 8:02 AM
CityBoyDoug's Avatar
CityBoyDoug CityBoyDoug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
"Dorsey Says City Can Be Ordered To Ban All Autos Blocking Streets" (I think).....seems rather draconian, but without the context it's hard to say what was being proposed.

When they had the one-way rush hour traffic, it was a big deal that there was no parking allowed in the parking zone at the side of street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.