HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:58 PM
subterranean's Avatar
subterranean subterranean is offline
homesick alien
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 2,873
We'll take it out in Beaverton.
__________________
Having more does not keep you from wanting more. And if you are always wanting more...I can tell you from experience, happiness will never come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:54 PM
CorbinWarrick CorbinWarrick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
My goodness the protests were just one moment in time during a period in timed a pandemic stopped the world. For godsakes I don’t even remember the last time we had a protest here. Even Gucci decided now was the time time to open the first store in oregon. In DOWNTOWN! Lol also Apple is back open. I for one think Portland is going to have a huge post pandemic boom.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:06 PM
pdxlexus pdxlexus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 44
2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. Should I go on?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:12 PM
winstonLT5's Avatar
winstonLT5 winstonLT5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 33
Nothing has fundamentally changed about Portland's attractiveness as a candidate for MLB expansion, especially considering that every city has experienced a global pandemic and a battered economy. Portland remains, if not in the pole position, among the leading contenders (along with Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville, Mexico City). It's just a matter of when MLB decides to expand from 30 to 32 teams. Whether or not Oakland and Tampa retain their franchises will determine if there are 2 or 4 openings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:00 AM
CorbinWarrick CorbinWarrick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxlexus View Post
2019, 2018, 2017, 2016. Should I go on?
Haha and literally nobody cared then
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:57 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else here is skeptical about Portland's chances of securing a MLB franchise. A year or so ago, I was somewhat confident. Today, not so much. The battering that our city has endured over the past year, from the opioid/homeless crisis to near-nightly riots has left our civic reputation in tatters. If there was a definitive conclusion on the horizon, I might not worry so much. While some of this is economic, the greater damage is from a pervasive alienation that makes our common project seem more like a pipe dream. When will it finally be over? No one seems to know.
Oh no, not even a little bit concerned about this when it comes to the chances of getting an MLB team. After this pandemic, the league is going to be looking to expand and they are well aware that Portland is a viable place for one of those teams. Keep in mind, MLB isn't looking at what just happened in Portland, they are looking at the city in the lens of the next several decades and if it can sustain a team. This is where the economics of the city and region really come into play which overrules anything we have seen during the pandemic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 6:22 PM
CorbinWarrick CorbinWarrick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Oh no, not even a little bit concerned about this when it comes to the chances of getting an MLB team. After this pandemic, the league is going to be looking to expand and they are well aware that Portland is a viable place for one of those teams. Keep in mind, MLB isn't looking at what just happened in Portland, they are looking at the city in the lens of the next several decades and if it can sustain a team. This is where the economics of the city and region really come into play which overrules anything we have seen during the pandemic.
That’s why I’m laughing people think some protests in 2020 in one moment of time will hinder this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:43 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
That’s why I’m laughing people think some protests in 2020 in one moment of time will hinder this
I get it, 2020 was a life changing year for all of us, but it was just one year. I know if the MLB expands, we are in line to get one of those two teams. With the Rays looking like they are stuck in St. Pete for the foreseeable future and the A's looking like they are more focused on where their new stadium will go in Oakland, having an expansion team looks like Portland's best chance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:41 AM
green_man green_man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Nothing has fundamentally changed about Portland's attractiveness as a candidate for MLB expansion, especially considering that every city has experienced a global pandemic and a battered economy. Portland remains, if not in the pole position, among the leading contenders (along with Montreal, Charlotte, Nashville, Mexico City). It's just a matter of when MLB decides to expand from 30 to 32 teams. Whether or not Oakland and Tampa retain their franchises will determine if there are 2 or 4 openings.
Is Las Vegas still a contender as well? A friend of mine was under the impression they would be Portland's biggest competition for landing a franchise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:15 PM
Natural Natural is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 44
Good news....Biden admin just revoked Trump invoked "Cities that permit anarchy and terrorism" designation from PDX. Unfortunately the protests and destruction continue downtown. Portland's reputation is devastated and will take years to reestablish. There are too many reasons why MLB wouldn't come here. I want to believe PDX is still in the running !!
__________________
I AdOregon

Last edited by Natural; Feb 28, 2021 at 3:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:46 PM
PdX Farr PdX Farr is offline
RCTID
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portland
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
Good news....Biden admin just revoked Trump invoked "Cities that permit anarchy and terrorism" designation from PDX. Unfortunately the protests and destruction continue downtown. Portland's reputation is devastated and will take years to reestablish. There are too many reasons why MLB wouldn't come here. I want to believe PDX is still in the running !!
Trump may not be in office anymore but the people destroying our city are and will still be here... The leadership at the city/county/state level is the problem and what will ultimately lead to things like MLB skipping town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 12:27 AM
CorbinWarrick CorbinWarrick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Trump may not be in office anymore but the people destroying our city are and will still be here... The leadership at the city/county/state level is the problem and what will ultimately lead to things like MLB skipping town.
Oh I doubt it.. It’s protesting every major city has it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:19 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural View Post
Good news....Biden admin just revoked Trump invoked "Cities that permit anarchy and terrorism" designation from PDX. Unfortunately the protests and destruction continue downtown. Portland's reputation is devastated and will take years to reestablish. There are too many reasons why MLB wouldn't come here. I want to believe PDX is still in the running !!
I still doubt that will be an issue for MLB. Portland is 22nd in the television market, it has a growing population, and has a group that is actively trying to bring a team here. That matters much more to MLB than some small protests.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:54 AM
PdX Farr PdX Farr is offline
RCTID
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portland
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Oh I doubt it.. It’s protesting every major city has it
😂😂😂
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:20 AM
urbanlife's Avatar
urbanlife urbanlife is offline
A before E
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 11,250
MLB-to-Portland hopes get boost as Oakland Athletics approved to explore relocation options

Probably, maybe, well maybe not.

This could just be another threat to Oakland to green light getting a new stadium built. Or this could be a serious look to move the team to another city. I think Portland would be the top of the list for where the team could move to, though I do think Vegas is a possibility when it comes to throwing money at a state of the art stadium. So who knows, this could be great news, disappointing news, or just non-news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.