HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:28 PM
BANNED

^ I assume you're referring to Aqua as the other tower with a flawed design?

What exactly is the flaw on Aqua? The 2-floor mechanical level with missing balcony? (Seen pictured above)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ I assume you're referring to Aqua as the other tower with a flawed design?

What exactly is the flaw on Aqua? The 2-floor mechanical level with missing balcony? (Seen pictured above)
The fact that it loses heat like crazy because of how it was designed. It's like a giant radiator.

https://architecturefarm.wordpress.c.../thermal-aqua/

In a cold city like Chicago this is a colossal failure.

Aesthetically it didn't turn out as intended, you can only see it's waves if you're directly below the tower.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:26 PM

@betooblah on Instagram

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:20 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's a great article. So do all window wall highrises with exposed slabs have the same problem, or is this unique to Aqua because of the balconies? There are a ton of window wall buildings with balconies in cold-weather markets like Toronto, and I've never heard of this (maybe I'm not reading the right news). Maybe they know to put those thermal layers in the slabs to prevent the heat loss. Fascinating stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
The fact that it loses heat like crazy because of how it was designed. It's like a giant radiator.

https://architecturefarm.wordpress.c.../thermal-aqua/

In a cold city like Chicago this is a colossal failure.

Aesthetically it didn't turn out as intended, you can only see it's waves if you're directly below the tower.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 7:42 PM

Cloudy/misty days brings out its best

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
That's a great article. So do all window wall highrises with exposed slabs have the same problem, or is this unique to Aqua because of the balconies? There are a ton of window wall buildings with balconies in cold-weather markets like Toronto, and I've never heard of this (maybe I'm not reading the right news). Maybe they know to put those thermal layers in the slabs to prevent the heat loss. Fascinating stuff!
All of them have the same issue, so it's not really fair to blame Studio Gang as if it's an oversight. It's been known since Goldberg's days and clearly developers just do not care.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Aqua has exposed concrete slabs right on the end, so it's especially bad for it. most condos typically insulates the ends of the slabs to help it, including in Toronto.

Ontario changed it's building code a few years ago to require thermal breaks around balconies however as the same phenomenon was occurring with them. The entire floor slab was poured as one slab, including balconies, and heat would transfer through the concrete and escape via the uninsulated balcony slabs. New buildings in Toronto how have to put "thermal breaks", which is essentially a chunk of insulation, to separate the balcony slab from the main building slab to prevent this. It adds a fair bit of cost but is far, far more energy efficient.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:42 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:09 PM

The bridging issue has been a big problem. I have never lived in a building that has the issue, so I don't know really what the energy cost is to the end user. I am sure there are plenty of studies on it. On a project I worked on a little while back, we used products from these guys https://www.schoeck.com/en/isokorb and there is a lot of good literature on their site about the problems and how their products help remedy it. Seemed easy enough to install - just cost a decent amount and took a little bit to get. I at least appreciate that they're trying.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:02 PM
TL;DR

I imagine this is why we see a lot more recessed balconies (where the slab can be wrapped in insulating material) or clip-on balconies than cantilevered ones these days.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:47 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgc View Post
. I have never lived in a building that has the issue, so I don't know really what the energy cost is to the end user.
From my years living in Marina City, it's not much.

My 500 SF studio unit cost about $25 worth of electricity (MC wasn't piped for gas) to heat in a typical winter month.

Granted, that was a decade ago now, but still, hardly an exorbitant heating expense, despite the evil horror of "THERMAL BRIDGING".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
From my years living in Marina City, it's not much.

My 500 SF studio unit cost about $25 worth of electricity (MC wasn't piped for gas) to heat in a typical winter month.

Granted, that was a decade ago now, but still, hardly an exorbitant heating expense, despite the evil horror of "THERMAL BRIDGING".
Yeah people act as if this is some kind of crippling issue. It is not and developers don't care as someone else mentioned. The architects don't get to choose whether the building has thermal breaks nor do they get to choose whether it has balconies.

Not sure why there are so many Gang haters out there nitpicking her work. It almost feels like a double standard that male architects designing on this level are not judged by. Why isn't every building with balconies and no breaks lambasted for the same reasons? I've never heard it leveled as design criticism against any other radiator balcony buildings in Chicago granted most of those designs suck and are nowhere near the quality of Aqua. Maybe you all should look at Low-end-burgs previous works and realize Aqua represents a massive aesthetic improvement upon an otherwise uninspiring genre of building program that proliferates not only Chicago, but many modern cities.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I have some vague recollection that the city does not allow illumination of blow through floors for whatever reason. Otherwise I think that's a great idea.

Edit: Yes, I remembered correctly:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/7/17...-design-update
Why? Who cares if there are lights on it or not???

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Why? Who cares if there are lights on it or not???
i care, i think it would be a nice touch to light up the blow-through permanently!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:53 PM

Is there any reason why we're keeping this building in this sub-forum? The building is/has been occupied for a while now. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Is there any reason why we're keeping this building in this sub-forum? The building is/has been occupied for a while now. . .

. . .
Fencing was still up around the N side last week - the drive through was open, but not the main entrance.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:51 PM

^Yeah. . . I see that from my condo, but is that all we're waiting for to move this? If so, that's fine. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:36 PM
TL;DR

I walked around the tower last night and used the public elevator from Lower Field Drive up to Upper Wacker level.

The public space around the tower is really nicely done, at least the parts that are completed. If you walk over by Chandler/Shoreham, it's night and day. The streets are barren and way too wide, it's a sterile concrete canyon. Pedestrian sidewalks are poorly planned, crosswalks are not logical or ADA-accessible, etc.

Walk in front of Vista and the streets narrow down to a sensible width, there are high-quality pavers and landscaping, the sidewalks and paths are logical and comfortable, etc. I love the overlook above Field Blvd looking south over the Lakeshore East park. Awesome urban vista, reminded me of something you might see in a much hillier city. Hopefully benches are installed soon, I'd love to post up there on a nice day with a coffee and a book. Of course, we'll see if this holds up after a decade of Chicago winters and Chicago drivers... but this what all of LSE should have been like. The careful design even extends to Lower Field Drive where a similar, great pedestrian path was installed linking the Lakeshore East park to the Riverwalk across Lower Sub Wacker. I never thought it was possible to beautify the entrance to the auto pound, but they managed to do that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture