HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 25 6.49%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 28 7.27%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 17 4.42%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 266 69.09%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 39 10.13%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 10 2.60%
Voters: 385. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
I really wish they had used the bank building as the station house as I felt it was a historic building and would have made a nice station house with the dark granite along the bottom and light granite along the top.
We're talking the Bank of Montreal building on the corner and not the Lee Building, right? Just double checking .

Yeah it would be nice to have a heritage station but from a developer's perspective it would be much easier to redevelop a parking lot than to retrofit a heritage building with a smaller floorplate (old BMO building) to handle Skytrain capacities. Just to jump into fantasy mode: I think that if the station were to look to develop a second entrance then maybe the BMO building could be retrofitted then?

Personally I foresee the BMO building getting bought up by a developer and integrated into a tower of some sort.

Back to the station: I may have just missed this in the conversation but would Mt. Pleasant station actually be viable to be constructed upon at a later time (much like the South Granville station)? My apologies if this has already been discussed. A simple "yes" or "no" works in this case.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Feb 21, 2021 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Back to the station: I may have just missed this in the conversation but would Mt. Pleasant station actually be viable to be constructed upon at a later time (much like the South Granville station)?
Yes, both Mount Pleasant and Great Northern Way stations are designed to allow for development above the station in the future.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
We're talking the Bank of Montreal building on the corner and not the Lee Building, right? Just double checking .

Yeah it would be nice to have a heritage station but from a developer's perspective it would be much easier to redevelop a parking lot than to retrofit a heritage building with a smaller floorplate (old BMO building) to handle Skytrain capacities. Just to jump into fantasy mode: I think that if the station were to look to develop a second entrance then maybe the BMO building could be retrofitted then?

Personally I foresee the BMO building getting bought up by a developer and integrated into a tower of some sort.
Mac Write was probably talking about the Bank of Commerce (CIBC) that's just being demolished for the new station.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Yes, both Mount Pleasant and Great Northern Way stations are designed to allow for development above the station in the future.
I guess all the stations are designed to accomodate development adjacent or above with their more flat rectangular station design. I think one of the early Mount Pleasant station designs had a huge 2 storey glass entrance.

Specifically Mount Pleasant has a 3m wide gap to the east for columns of an overhead development and concourse level knockout walls for connection.

Broadway-City Hall has a removable or replacable roof design for connection to any development next door.

Last edited by jollyburger; Feb 21, 2021 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Mac Write was probably talking about the Bank of Commerce (CIBC) that's just being demolished for the new station.
I see. I stand corrected. I usually lose my orientation on that specific intersection anywho. Thank you.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I see. I stand corrected. I usually lose my orientation on that specific intersection anywho. Thank you.
Some people think of it as a Tim Horton. But many still remember it as a CIBC with wood paneling and a a large mural. Sad to see it go.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:28 PM

Photo source: me

Kaput and almost kaput.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:57 AM

Broadway Subway Stations - Development Permit Board Review

Quote:
Ironically, the only Broadway Subway station that can’t accommodate further development is the same one that a 1,400 signature petition sought to halt. A lack of foresight means Vancouver’s Arbutus stop will only be able to add further landscaping to calm these voices.

The province’s authority means the Development Permit Board’s unanimously endorsed recommendations may never come to pass. Despite this, they added language calling for washrooms, & extra elevators to responds to our city’s future needs, & one hoped for more bike parking too.

They also believed these stations should better reflect their respective communities, & that more consultation with the First Nations was needed. Only three public speakers attended this meeting, with two expressing that the Arbutus station was unacceptably close to a nearby school.
https://twitter.com/City_Duo/status/...751831554?s=20

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:29 AM

Let's be real - the moment the planners declared Arbutus would have a bus loop, there was no chance in hell of a station development. Most you can get now is a short pavilion like the 720 Beatty one beside the stadium.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Let's be real - the moment the planners declared Arbutus would have a bus loop, there was no chance in hell of a station development. Most you can get now is a short pavilion like the 720 Beatty one beside the stadium.
I think the idea is when the line is extended to UBC and the 99 is retired the bus loop can be removed and development built.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:56 PM

Quote:
I think the idea is when the line is extended to UBC and the 99 is retired the bus loop can be removed and development built.
That's a bingo! Probably without too much underground parking either.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't quite count the chicken just yet .

If a future study reveals that the Arbutus Greenway LRT is needed after the Millennium line extends westwards then they may repurpose the bus loop into a transfer station for LRT vehicles.

Granted, there is a way to have both a significant development structure and a transfer station all within the same lot but I foresee that Arbutus station will be left alone for a little while longer than the other stations until the COV makes a commitment to an Arbutus greenway plan - whatever the transit technology they choose to pursue for this route.

Before anything can happen, the bus loop needs to become obsolete and the 99 needs to retire as you said. And I am hoping that Translink will try to funnel other N-S bus routes (west of the Canada line, where it makes sense) into Arbutus station to try to induce a N-S demand while connecting people more conveniently to the core transit network (Skytrain). Then if the Arbutus LRT plan goes through, then Translink can redirect those N-S bus routes feeding into Arbutus Station into E-W bus routes that connect with N-S Arbutus LRT stations. But now I'm heading into fantasy mode ...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Thing is, the bus loop itself isn't conducive to development:

Quote:
Either it's possible to build on top of the utilities rooms, and it's going to be a little cramped, or it isn't, and it's going to be even more cramped.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:02 PM

Good idea to preserve flexibility for the streetcar station though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:56 PM

Those who have pointed out that the bus loop is only an interim condition are absolutely correct. It will be gone as soon as the UBC extension is approved, which several at the meeting expressed will happen sooner than later, but will only be replaced with more landscape, and integrated into the Arbutus Greenway Walking/Biking Path. Nothing was mentioned about the the street car.

However, it’s the layout of the underground component that will permanently make it impossible to provide the foundation needed to accommodate a future building that would be economically feasible. That would have been different had the urban planning gone ahead earlier, or at least been better integrated into this process.

Sorry for not making that more clear.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Those who have pointed out that the bus loop is only an interim condition are absolutely correct. It will be gone as soon as the UBC extension is approved...
Don't you mean: It will be gone as soon as the UBC extension opens....?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Good idea to preserve flexibility for the streetcar station though.
The station design fits really nicely with the city of vancouver's plan for the northbound track on arbutus street and the southbound track on the greenway. Both tracks would get a platform facing the skytrain station entrance, making for a quick and efficient transfer.

I was hoping the arbutus station design would accommodate routing the streetcar under broadway in a cut and cover tunnel at the skytrain mezzanine level, but that's clearly not going to happen with this station design.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:29 AM

The intended streetcar alignment. That's three lanes or less for one of the the busiest parts of Arbutus; let's hope the traffic planners know what they're doing.

Quote:

(DailyHive)
WRT development, the underground utilities don't extend to the north parking lot; might be able to support a two-floor restaurant or something.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
yes

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
They will close it when construction happens.... so, both of you used to wrong wording.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure