HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:00 PM

I don't remember if this was talked about but there's a zoning app up to tear down the 1 story commercial strip mall at 5214-24 N Lincoln (& Farragut) just north of Foster and build a new 5 story, 60 foot tall building with 42 total residential units (2 live/work units), with 24 parking spaces, 42 spots for bicycles, and ground floor retail/commercial.

Semi currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6926519

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 11:26 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Is the idea that they have to following the design standards or they just can't build on it? I guess it depends on which vacant lots fall in there, which districts, etc. If it's all about design then there's nothing stopping someone on a purely residential street from designing something in those standards. I guess it depends on how strict the zoning is.
I feel like building a new separate building would be fine, but attaching it to the historic building could potentially not be if it is seen to alter the character?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:26 AM
The City

Quote:
I don't remember if this was talked about but there's a zoning app up to tear down the 1 story commercial strip mall at 5214-24 N Lincoln (& Farragut) just north of Foster and build a new 5 story, 60 foot tall building with 42 total residential units (2 live/work units), with 24 parking spaces, 42 spots for bicycles, and ground floor retail/commercial.

Semi currently:

This needs to happen, like, another 500 times over in Chicago.

That whole area up and down those few blocks is going bonkers with projects. But somebody please tear down that Walgreens and the strip mall across the street from it!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

This needs to happen, like, another 500 times over in Chicago.

That whole area up and down those few blocks is going bonkers with projects. But somebody please tear down that Walgreens and the strip mall across the street from it!!
Yup. There's a similar development a few blocks south of this on Lincoln which already underwent the same. I don't know if it finished yet, but around this time last year there were 4 buildings issued of 24 total units to take the place of a very similar looking strip mall (https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6926519). Maybe a victim of COVID after getting partially done? https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M90258-25771

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Yup. There's a similar development a few blocks south of this on Lincoln which already underwent the same. I don't know if it finished yet, but around this time last year there were 4 buildings issued of 24 total units to take the place of a very similar looking strip mall (https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6926519). Maybe a victim of COVID after getting partially done? https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M90258-25771
Lets buy it! Who is in! Looks like you can get 12 units in there...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:29 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

Semi currently:

I love the smell of strip-mall demolition in the morning!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Is the idea that they have to following the design standards or they just can't build on it? I guess it depends on which vacant lots fall in there, which districts, etc. If it's all about design then there's nothing stopping someone on a purely residential street from designing something in those standards. I guess it depends on how strict the zoning is.
the push back (according to crain's) seems to be that the lot was somehow indented to be left vacant as a side yard, even though it's a full lot, and never meant to be built on. not sure how you can prove that to the landmarks committee.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 5:41 PM

New permit for a 4 story, 9 unit res building (with 9 parking spaces...) at 2343 N Elston, near the future driving range at Damen/Elston. Nice to see infill here, even if this area is sort of a lost cause from an urbanist standpoint. I was actually just driving by here a couple of weeks ago reflecting on this large empty lot.

Currently:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-87.6760154

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 11:55 PM

Further Northwest, Anyone have photos of that new residential building on Elston / Belmont. Last I saw it in the fall, the masonry looked really great on this project.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 6:00 PM
DENNAB

Move-Out Process Begins For Thompson Center With Possible Replacement On Horizon

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/mov...placement.html

Quote:
The state originally intended to line up a sale by the end of 2020. However, that deadline has now been extended to April 2022. Officials plan to review development proposals within the next several months.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:27 PM

Good lord, it finally happened -- after untold years of painstakingly slow progress, can you believe it, the NAVY PIER FLYOVER IS FINALLY OPEN IN ITS ENTIRETY.

Granted, there are still some railings to be installed, so no one said it's COMPLETE, but at least now you can start at one end of the River, and end up at Ohio Street Beach without any detours.

I've been waiting for this since 2014.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:36 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Good lord, it finally happened -- after untold years of painstakingly slow progress, can you believe it, the NAVY PIER FLYOVER IS FINALLY OPEN IN ITS ENTIRETY.

Granted, there are still some railings to be installed, so no one said it's COMPLETE, but at least now you can start at one end of the River, and end up at Ohio Street Beach without any detours.

I've been waiting for this since 2014.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:50 PM

Just in time for the polar vortex biking season.....but glad it is done...i might wait a bit before checking it out though

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Sure it would have had faulty concrete and a project manager would have been exiled to a Xinjiang labor camp, but the Chinese would have had it done in 2015.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:10 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Sure it would have had faulty concrete and a project manager would have been exiled to a Xinjiang labor camp, but the Chinese would have had it done in 2015.
...and continuing that logic, it would also have fallen into the mouth of the Chicago river a year after construction because of poor design and construction quality standards.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:32 PM
TL;DR

Crains is reporting this will be an urban-format dealership for Rivian's electric trucks, only the 2nd one in the country after Laguna Beach CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
932 w Randolph; demo underway. Are they keeping the underlying structure?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Rivian trucks to be assembled in downstate Bloomington/Normal btw...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:06 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Don't really need to worry about this. Chicago is a bottomless pit of capacity for more housing. The entire South and West Sides are severely depopulated (and continue to depopulate) plus we have vast tracts of post-industrial and CHA land that can be build upon. Not to mention that we have an enormous "greater downtown area" with capacity for 100s more highrises. ADUs have had a small impact in housing for other cities, but I think they will have a big splash in Chicago since we have such a strong tradition of alleys and coach houses to build upon.

This is an oversimplification but Chicago combines the legacy urbanity of NYC with the growth capacity of Houston. The key is making sure that we don't choke out all new growth with restrictive zoning the way LA has.

Exactly this. It is as you point out a bit of an oversimplification but this gets to the core of why Chicago is, and will remain for the foreseeable future much more affordable than the coastal metros. Much lower overall supply side constraints.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:06 PM
The City

Saw the news about the Rivian dealership. Nice to see.

Not to get off topic, but the move towards EVs is going to seriously do damage to the midwestern (including our own) economy, especially as so many suppliers to the automotive industry are based in this region. At least we have the Rivian plant downstate, which is one good thing. But we have a lot to lose unless we do a lot more of the engineering and development here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Saw the news about the Rivian dealership. Nice to see.

Not to get off topic, but the move towards EVs is going to seriously do damage to the midwestern (including our own) economy, especially as so many suppliers to the automotive industry are based in this region. At least we have the Rivian plant downstate, which is one good thing. But we have a lot to lose unless we do a lot more of the engineering and development here.
Electric cars need car parts, too. GM has committed to going all-electric by 2035. Rivian assembles downstate. I don't see the cause for alarm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development