HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:41 PM
Space Magi

Yeah, I really like the Post House designs. Hopefully that project is a catalyst for revitalizing that whole "grand avenues" area, one of the main gateways into downtown and currently underdeveloped and unwalkable. Does anyone know if there are plans for developing the empty lot that is directly south of the Post District? It looks like whatever building was at that site was demolished in 2013 or 2014 (based on Google Street View) and it has since been fallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Hey everyone, I thought this was worth bringing up here. There's a bill being proposed for the legislature this session that would basically give billboard companies free reign to create electronic billboards. It would allow billboard companies to upgrade ANY conforming OR non-comforting (so basically ANY billboard) to an electronic billboard. The only control it would give to municipalities is the ability to set a 12am-6am "curfew" on the electronic billboards, but this is void if it is near a freeway, over 150 feet away from a residential area, but only if that residential area is zoned exclusively for residential (I interpret that as meaning if there is residential in a mixed-use area, they can't impose a curfew). We all know Utah is already way way too billboard-friendly and this is one of the worst billboard bills proposed yet. I have no idea how much consideration it's getting, but given how powerful Reagan Advertising is among our legislature, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets serious consideration.

I'm hoping that with enough attention given to this, we can barrage our legislators with enough angry emails we could convince them to kill it. I've had enough of the pro-billboard legislation in this state.

Here's the test if anyone would like to read it specifically:
https://le.utah.gov/~2021/bills/static/SB0061.html
I think you may have more success garnering grassroots opposition if you make a post like this on r/DevelopmentSLC. I definitely agree that the billboards are an eyesore and we should be moving toward lowering their impact instead of expanding their protections. At the very least, I don't think the state should be telling local governments what they can and can't do with regards to billboard regulations.

Last edited by Atlas; Jan 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:11 PM

How many “rumor” towers do we currently have for downtown? Tavernacle, 400-450 south main, and 370 west temple-sort of right?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:20 PM
Space Magi

Here's my current list of tower projects in SLC.

Under Construction
  • 95 State at City Creek - 25 stories - 395 ft
  • Liberty Sky - 21 stories - 262 ft
  • Hyatt Regency - 26 stories - 335 ft

Planned/Proposed
  • Kensington Tower - 39 stories - 448 ft
  • Main Street Apartments (Pantages) - 32 stories - 392 ft
  • South West Temple - 28 stories
  • The Cascade at City Creek - 20 stories? (on hold)
  • Block 67 Phase II - 2 x 20+ stories & mid-rises (future phase of West Quarter)

Rumored/Vision
  • RL Hotel Redevelopment - 17 stories? + mid-rises
  • Tower at 450 S. Main Street (east side) - 20-30 floors (source: Wasatch Wasteland)
  • Tower at Tavernacle site - 30 stories?
  • Regent St. Tower (revival) - 30 stories? (sources: Schmoe, UTPlanner)
  • Arrow Press Square tower - 25 stories?
  • Tower at 400 S and State (NE corner) - ???? (source: Makid)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
How many “rumor” towers do we currently have for downtown? Tavernacle, 400-450 south main, and 370 west temple-sort of right?
I think from the list, only 450 South Main is a rumor at this point. There is enough evidence to point to planned towers at Tavernacle and 370 West Temple.

If we want to take early planning into account the following are estimated at 10+ stories:

NW corner of 300 South and 200 East
Regent Street Hotel/Apartments
West Quarter 2nd Phase (Hotel, Apartment, Commercial towers)
Arrow Press Square Hotel
UTA Office Tower (Central Station)
Stack Development SE corner 300 South 600 West
City Creek Apartments NW corner 100 South 200 East
Patrinely Phase 2 SE corner 600 South West Temple
NE corner 500 S Main Street (Apartments)

For pure rumor, I can only toss the following:
450 S Main
NE corner 400 South State Street
SE corner 300 South State Street
Zion parking lot 100 S Main Street
Red Lion Redevelopment

This is the lists as much as I can remember.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:11 PM

Good stuff guys, just for fun could you elaborate on the “details” of the rumors just to have an idea of what the possible vision is? Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I'm excited to see what they got planned. With demolition scheduled this summer, I'm hoping that means we will get plans this Spring.

As far as The Tavernacle is concerned, I understand a lot of you may have a connection to that place. However, to be fair, the building its located in is just a little better than a strip mall. If someone tried to build that same building now in the CBD everyone here would lose their minds. I'm hoping they choose to relocate, since there will likely be spaces opening up with some of the other places that have closed in the city due to C-19.

I think it is becoming clear that buildings 4 floors and under in the Central Business District are now on genuine 'notice for redevelopment' (except a few notable historic structures). At the rate we are going, I suspect a majority will be gone within the next 15 years or so.
You're correct that if it were built today then we would be against it, but the concern comes with the fact that we're losing affordable places for these cultural spaces. These places might be able to find other locations, but how long until there's not enough affordable places downtown for these local staples to afford? Part of the evolution of a city is building larger buildings over time, but we don't have to lose all of our historic low-rise buildings in the process. That's a major part of what gives a city its character.

Also I think I would be in favor of a low-rise project if it was guaranteed to support local businesses. The food hall that's supposed to go in on State Street across from the old Sears site is a great example (if it ever happens at this point). That said, why not build a high-rise over the existing building? This happens all the time in larger cities. I understand it's more expensive for the developer, but Salt Lake City needs to start enforcing stricter standards on their developers. Good urban design doesn't happen out of the kindness of developer's hearts. The fact that it seems like this project is going to happen without any planning commission approval is unacceptable tbh. A project this large and impactful absolutely should go before a planning commission and have enforcement of design standards.

That said I'll withhold too much judgment until we actually see plans for the project. If it's a truly exceptional project I will be less annoyed. But the Tavernacle has been a staple of this city for a long time, and if they really don't find a new space to open, then it's a shame to lose it in this way.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think you may have more success garnering grassroots opposition if you make a post like this on r/DevelopmentSLC. I definitely agree that the billboards are an eyesore and we should be moving toward lowering their impact instead of expanding their protections. At the very least, I don't think the state should be telling local governments what they can and can't do with regards to billboard regulations.
Yeah I was going to make a post there, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm hoping that BSL will make a post about it. Taylor Anderson's note about it in City Weekly is what brought my attention to it in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:45 PM

I have no idea how the lease rates compare or how it works with alcohol licenses, but if the Tavernacle has to move, I'd love to see it in that empty new corner space on the north east end of Regent Street (across the street from Cheesecake Factory). That spot is begging for some vibrancy.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Yes, this is going where the massage school was. They also have this planned across the street:

https://lotuscompany.com/property_ventures/lotus-300/

I lived at Lotus South Temple for a few years and it's right around the corner. Is it common for companies to group up developments like this?
Wow. Really great projects for the area. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:23 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
I have no idea how the lease rates compare or how it works with alcohol licenses, but if the Tavernacle has to move, I'd love to see it in that empty new corner space on the north east end of Regent Street (across the street from Cheesecake Factory). That spot is begging for some vibrancy.
The lease rate and square footage on that place is pretty bonkers which is why it is sitting empty Aaaaaand the landlord is the church. No bars allowed especially not one called The Tavernacle. Regent would hugely benefit from a good bar but the only space that is possible on the street is the Fireside pizza place that went out but I don’t see the space listed anywhere so I’m not sure what is happening there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 9:21 PM

The Deseret Book company building on South West temple is going to be converted into luxury apartments but it's on hold for the moment, it's still in the preliminary stages

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 10:28 PM
Ironweed

I am a proponent of mass transit and walkable communities. I prefer avoiding vehicle transportation as much as possible.

Last night my wife and I traveled to Red Iguana II for curve side take out. She unfortunately, prefers being in her own car. Driving the streets of downtown was 'concerning'. The streets of the city are in terrible shape. My understanding is that 200 south is to be resurfaced?

The mindset in Utah will always be automobile centric. Salt Lake therefore needs to bond in order to pay to have It's streets repaved ASAP.

It is clear that mass transit in Utah is a secondary priority. The auto dealers will make sure of that. UTA also just shot down a proposal to extend Trax.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:36 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
The Deseret Book company building on South West temple is going to be converted into luxury apartments but it's on hold for the moment, it's still in the preliminary stages
Which building is that?

(Initially I was picturing the old *Deseret News* building. But that's on 100S).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Which building is that?

(Initially I was picturing the old *Deseret News* building. But that's on 100S).
I assume they're referring to this building at 57 W South Temple. I just noticed Deseret Book has moved their corporate offices to Triad.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
*it’s West “South Temple”. “South West Temple” would be all of West Temple, south of South Temple (0).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
I am a proponent of mass transit and walkable communities. I prefer avoiding vehicle transportation as much as possible.

Last night my wife and I traveled to Red Iguana II for curve side take out. She unfortunately, prefers being in her own car. Driving the streets of downtown was 'concerning'. The streets of the city are in terrible shape. My understanding is that 200 south is to be resurfaced?

The mindset in Utah will always be automobile centric. Salt Lake therefore needs to bond in order to pay to have It's streets repaved ASAP.

It is clear that mass transit in Utah is a secondary priority. The auto dealers will make sure of that. UTA also just shot down a proposal to extend Trax.
Salt Lake City DID bond for roads recently. It's part of the Funding Our Future sales tax to expand bus service and fix roads throughout the city. 200 S is getting more than just a resurfacing, it's going to get a total rebuild - hopefully with a proper road diet. They recently did a community survey, we're just awaiting the results of that survey.
https://www.slc.gov/mystreet/2020/03...corridor-plan/

We're also getting a protected bike lane on 300W, amazingly.
https://www.slc.gov/mystreet/2019/04/25/300west/

https://www.slc.gov/mystreet/2020/03...tion-projects/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I assume they're referring to this building at 57 W South Temple. I just noticed Deseret Book has moved their corporate offices to Triad.

yes this one, hopefully CCR goes through with it still. they might be waiting for Tower 8 to near completion before they do.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:41 PM

Good to hear about this buildings conversion. I've always disliked that obviously gone wrong remodeled front. I'm assuming that will be done away with.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 11:42 PM

The Bookbinder - Design Review

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Basics: 7 floors. 115 residential units. 59 parking stalls.

Project Description:
Quote:
The subject project consists of two parcels being combined via lot consolidation into a single property. The existing parcels are 9,796 sf and 5,445 sf each for a total of 15,241 sf or 0.35 acres. There are existing abandoned structures on the south parcel and an existing structure on the north parcel currently being used as an art gallery. All existing structures and trees will be demolished and removed.

The consolidated lot fronts 2nd West on the east side of the property, all other sides of the property abut adjacent parcels and there is no other access to the site apart from the 2nd West access.

The proposed new structure to be built on the new consolidated lot will be a multi‐family development with 2 levels of structured parking and 5 levels of apartment units. There are a total of 115 units in the project with 59 parking stalls. The building construction will be 5 levels of type III wood framed construction over 2 levels of type I concrete construction. The building
will be approximately 76,236 gsf in total and 83’‐1” in height to the tallest parapet.

The apartment units are a mix of studio types with no 1‐bed or larger units. Units range in size from 345 sf to 468 sf.

The exterior finish materials will be mainly EIFS with a limited amount of brick at the main floor street façade. Windows are limited on three sides of the project due to the proximity to the property line. The street facing façade has a much larger percentage of glass.
Project was covered by Building Salt Lake: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/bui...ding-downtown/

For reference, these two buildings will be demolished:

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jan 25, 2021 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:03 AM
They all float down here

The one on the left looks like it won't be much of a loss but that brick foursquare-like house surely will. Ugh. And for an ugly, sterile box.

Pathetic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West