HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:37 AM
BANNED

I suspect that the public space will be on the elevated roadway that wraps around the top of GCT. Where else could it possibly be? Maybe the city will finally close that to traffic. It's hardly essential, and yet, would make a really nice greenspace.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I suspect that the public space will be on the elevated roadway that wraps around the top of GCT. Where else could it possibly be? Maybe the city will finally close that to traffic. It's hardly essential, and yet, would make a really nice greenspace.

That’s been a dream of mine for a long time, but don’t think it will happen anytime soon. Now that I think more about the public space, it doesn’t necessarily have to be on site. The Vanderbilt plaza isn’t on site, it just happens to be on the street in front of it. But just like the transit improvements, which could be anywhere in the district, the city is planning to open a few more public streets. Maybe they could responsible for one of those. Hard to know until we see what text amendments they are going for. But the 43rd street plaza would be right outside.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:59 PM
BANNED

Good point. I've always wanted to see that roadway converted into a park. It's utterly insignificant to traffic flow and is a very vulnerable site for terrorists. I'm sensitive to this issue since I lived and work by the WTC on 9/11. I'm shocked that the NYPD hasn't closed it down.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:26 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Good point. I've always wanted to see that roadway converted into a park. It's utterly insignificant to traffic flow and is a very vulnerable site for terrorists. I'm sensitive to this issue since I lived and work by the WTC on 9/11. I'm shocked that the NYPD hasn't closed it down.
I don’t see that as being any more sensitive to terrorists than a regular street. The city has done a remarkable job since 9/11 by continuing to thrive while not pulling up the drawbridge. Closing that viaduct isn’t gonna make the area any safer than it already is. What it would be is a welcoming site for pedestrians and cyclists. It would be sort of a High Line Park for the area. I bike around sometimes, its closed to traffic on saturdays in August, for half a day.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:28 PM
New Yorker for life

A visit to the New York Times time machine...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

This will be a large tower...

It looks like, for zoning purposes, the lot expands to include Grand Central and the market, though the actual tower would be on the Hyatt site...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:56 PM
BANNED

The hotel portion is way bigger than I expected. That alone could be pretty tall.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The hotel portion is way bigger than I expected. That alone could be pretty tall.
Yeah, I knew it would be 500 rooms, which is smaller than what is there now. So I didn't expect it to have that much space. They're referencing "gross sq ft" in the totals, but I'm not sure if that is supposed to reflect the mechanical space, which doesn't count in the zoning.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, I knew it would be 500 rooms, which is smaller than what is there now. So I didn't expect it to have that much space. They're referencing "gross sq ft" in the totals, but I'm not sure if that is supposed to reflect the mechanical space, which doesn't count in the zoning.
I assume that the hotel will be at the base.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I assume that the hotel will be at the base.
They stated earlier that the hotel would be at the base. It would be fine either way a lot of these tall towers put the hotel up top. But we'll be learning more about this proposal sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They stated earlier that the hotel would be at the base. It would be fine either way a lot of these tall towers put the hotel up top. But we'll be learning more about this proposal sooner rather than later.
Hoping for a fun design on this site.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:46 PM

Wow, this is gonna be a major tower. Might be Midtown's tallest.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 6:48 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Wow, this is gonna be a major tower. Might be Midtown's tallest.
Yea sounds like a big deal, here's to hoping it'll hit the 500m mark.

Imagine standing on a floor looking down on One Vanderbilt (and Chase Tower), insane.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

2,605,140 gross square feet.

This is a big one!

Considering the way ceiling heights go, as most of this functionality is office (mixed used, but large office component), this is a big one!!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

This is a big one!

Considering the way ceiling heights go, as most of this functionality is office (mixed used, but large office component), this is a big one!!!
Wow..80% more floor space than Vandy. Jealous of NY!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 7:56 PM

So we can have a 1,700ft tall tower.

2,621,140 Square feet of space. Almost 1 million more sq. ft. than One Vanderbilt

2,108,820 sq. ft. of office
452,950 sq. ft. of hotel
16,000 sq. ft. public space
43,370 sq. ft. of retail

Roosevelt Hotel and Grand Hyatt the two new giants.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
So we can have a 1,700ft tall tower.

2,621,140 Square feet of space. Almost 1 million more sq. ft. than One Vanderbilt

452,950 sq. ft. of hotel
43,370 sq. ft. of retail

Roosevelt Hotel and Grand Hyatt the two new giants.

I really love the Roosevelt so if they are taking it down it better be for something jaw dropping.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 8:20 PM

Obviously logistically impossible, but I love if they just kept the original footprint and then added to it in height. Either way I'd love to see something 1500ft+ old school 1920s/1930s style one day.

Hope it's going to be a 1930s style battle with Roosevelt Hotel vs Grand Hyatt nearly 100 years on. It's written in the stars!

Met Life really needs an outside restaurant or something cause the view of all these new towers would be amazing from that vantage point.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Obviously logistically impossible, but I love if they just kept the original footprint and then added to it in height. Either way I'd love to see something 1500ft+ old school 1920s/1930s style one day.

What they do at the ground level is very important. I don't see an outdoor plaza as appropriate for this location, so that 16,000 sf public space is probably indoors, similar to what JP Morgan wanted at 270.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

This is a big one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post

452,950 sq. ft. of hotel
43,370 sq. ft. of retail

As originally planned, I thought the hotel space would be included in the 2 msf. But if that letter is worded correctly, it will be in addition to the 2 msf of office. It's still not clear to me if those are the true gross sf numbers, or the zoning totals. Huge either way. For comparison, some numbers of other recent towers in zoning square ft and total sf including mechanical space...

270 Park .............1,862,831........2,439,635 total

The Spiral.............2,222,473........2,850,000 total

50 Hudson............2,244,998........2,900,000 total

1 Vanderbilt..........1,299,390........1,750,000 total

1 Manhattan West.....1,692,077.....2,015,156 total

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 9:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think its going to depend on what the design is. This has a larger footprint than 1 Vandy based on the parcel maps but with the mix of functionality and its ratio, this is looking like it could eclipse 1 Vandy easily depending on the design and yeah, a possible new tallest.

This might be a taste of what's to come for the area. (M East Rezoning)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals