HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Which is Hubbard Garfield? So many projects.....hard to keep straight. What was the height originally that they are going for more?
Garfield House on the current Growhouse lot on the SE corner of Garfield and 6th St.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Awesome! I wonder if Astra and Garfield getting additional heights will get future developments to start challenging downtown's current height zoning limits? I still believe most of downtown's limits are about 100' too short as compared to other cities with closer proximity to flight paths and similar height limits.
Isn't there another lot like a block away from Astra being planned by Rastegar to be up there as well?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Isn't there another lot like a block away from Astra being planned by Rastegar to be up there as well?
Nothing from Rastegar is concrete yet. My records request to the city a few months ago received a reply that nothing has been submitted for the lots. I would love to see this take off out of nowhere and have a mini new-tallest war, but as of now no new info on this one.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 8:03 PM

Thanks, CrestedSaguaro!!!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 8:46 AM

Noticed while driving past the Ten-O-One Building today, fencing is setup on the Roosevelt-facing portion. I believe this is for the retail space buildout. Glad to see progress continues onsite! Looking forward to this building finally addressing the rest of the street and not the parking lot

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 4:23 PM
Modulator

AZ Central article on the Steinegger Lodge. View in incognito mode if you can't access the article:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...me/3206441001/

At the end of the article, it states that
Quote:
"The Phoenix Historic Preservation Commission recently voted not to grant the building historic preservation protection."
Also, I took a stroll by there a couple of days ago. It looks like that Eastern portion of the brick along the upper level is rapidly falling apart and sections of it are being supported by wood beams. This may be the reason why the building may not be salvageable.

This is the best pic I could get of the damage (if you walk further away, you can see further back and more damage but I couldn't get a good picture from that distance). I am unsure of the rest of the structure aside from this. But if this is any indication along with the Historic Preservation's decision not to add it, this building may well be doomed for the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
By the 1980s, the Golden West Hotel served transients. The former 26 rooms “had been divided into 109 sleeping areas.” It continued to operate until 2004.
25 years of squeezing 109 people into 26 rooms...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 6:12 PM
Skyriser

Oof, that article was rough to read. I called Michelle Dodds to see if I could minutes of the meeting.

This thing's probably on its last days.

And I noticed they leveled that little camera store too at one point. Those little retail spaces are what gives old cities a lot of charm. A shame there's nothing like that left.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 4:39 PM
Modulator

Chalk up another crane. Hyatt's going up currently.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 7:56 PM

So I was driving around this morning looking at the construction and I noticed that the "Paseo" concept on the south side of the filmore has also been continued on the south side of the O'niel Printing project and Through Astra, splitting all of those long blocks from Central to 6th besides one gap between 4th ave and 3rd ave.

It would be great if we could get that last link so that those super blocks are broken up to reasonable sizes.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
So I was driving around this morning looking at the construction and I noticed that the "Paseo" concept on the south side of the filmore has also been continued on the south side of the O'niel Printing project and Through Astra, splitting all of those long blocks from Central to 6th besides one gap between 4th ave and 3rd ave.

It would be great if we could get that last link so that those super blocks are broken up to reasonable sizes.
That is excellent news! Those blocks are far too long, this is a great decision by the city, glad they got this idea through!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Very happy to see these blocks broken up, it’s another step in the right direction for this area! Streets for traffic and pedestrians are preferable to a pedestrianized ‘Paseo’ that would likely be devoid of people.

On a small side note, I hope the Victorian house south of the O’ Niel Printing project on 2nd Ave is revitalized like the Knipe House and incorporated into a future project. Would make for a beautiful corner.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:38 AM
Skyriser

That is such great news to hear that the O’Neill site left that Paseo in there. Would’ve never expected that. Feels like this area is going to become very popular with all the density and places to hang out.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 2:47 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Quick updates I was able to capture from joining the meeting earlier this AM
  • Steinegger Lodging - Discussion got a little heated but it's not looking good for preservationists. There is "nothing they can do" for the building and apparently sits on a sink hole, further making it less and less likely in can be successfully rehabbed. Still a shame CSM let it sit like for almost 6 years since it took over the property in 2014. Also, the attorney Nick Wood (very douchey and condescending asshole at times) did mention supposedly CSM already has renderings in place for the space and they plan to build something. Which is strange since not too long ago they were actively trying to sell it LOL They asked if CSM was willing to hold off demolition until the proposed project moved further along and permits were approved. It was a resounding NO again, so probably just a ploy by the lawyer and his client to get away with it sitting vacant for a while or as a parking lot. We'll see what happens after Monday's HP meeting.
I met Nick Wood a few times and I do like the guy but he used that can’t be salvaged excuse when they were demolishing that super old building on the Luhr’s Block. I will take what land use attorneys say with a grain of salt. They should just at least disassemble the damn thing and put it in storage.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 10:57 PM

Proposed obstruction evaluation for X Phoenix Basecamp - 244 ft.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...3122019&row=14

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 2:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Proposed obstruction evaluation for X Phoenix Basecamp - 244 ft.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...3122019&row=14
Wow, North Downtown is going to be so different in the next year or two. Looking at past Camelback visibility cam stills before any of this boom started is already astonishing when compared to today. And we have at least 3 more probable towers (X, McKinley, Garfield) coming up AND a possible new tallest which is looking more and more likely to happen.

I can't wait to see what the next 5 to 10 years brings to Downtown.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quick question, I went on Wikipedia's Phoenix Downtown Buildings' page, under proposals it lists Thunderbird Legacy as a 270ft 25-story residential tower. Does anyone know which project this is or where it is located? Thanks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Phoenix

As always, I appreciate the insight from this forum.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
Quick question, I went on Wikipedia's Phoenix Downtown Buildings' page, under proposals it lists Thunderbird Legacy as a 270ft 25-story residential tower. Does anyone know which project this is or where it is located? Thanks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Phoenix

As always, I appreciate the insight from this forum.
Thunderbird Legacy is a potential tower at the SW corner of Jackson and 1st St. Here's some info on my Google Drive if you want to read up on it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iS?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 10:50 PM

Construction of Hyatt Place in Downtown Phoenix moves forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Chalk up another crane. Hyatt's going up currently.
Fluff piece on the Hyatt Place by AZ Big Media. At least it will address Adams in some fashion...still would've liked to see additional height here.

Quote:
Amid the rapidly changing landscape and a recovering Arizona economy, Pacific Hospitality Group and Mortenson recently broke ground on a 238-room, 8-story Hyatt Place hotel in downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Pacific Hospitality Group, in partnership with Mortenson, is developing the project. Mortenson is providing development services and is the design-builder with Allen+Philp Partners, the designer. Pacific Hospitality Group will own and manage the hotel.

“The construction of the Hyatt Place Hotel across the street from Phoenix City Hall is a testament to confidence in the resiliency of the Phoenix economy. This exciting development is needed to add rooms to the city’s hospitality inventory, and it’s a statement that Phoenix is a strong market,” said Christine Mackay, director, Phoenix Community and Economic Development. “It’s the rare economic developer who can look out her window and see rapidly-occurring changes in a downtown landscape. From my vantage point, I am able to see eight cranes working to add high-rise buildings to Downtown Phoenix. There are a half-dozen more I can’t see, but know are keeping construction workers busily employed.”

Opening in September 2021, the Hyatt Place Phoenix Downtown will bring the brand’s intuitive design, casual atmosphere, and practical amenities, such as free Wi-Fi and 24-hour food offerings, to the Phoenix area. The hotel’s design will emulate the art deco design of the surrounding architecture, located adjacent to the Orpheum Theater. In the heart of downtown Phoenix, the hotel is just three blocks away from the Phoenix Convention Center and nearby to an array of downtown Phoenix attractions like Chase Field, Talking Stick Resort Arena, Phoenix Art Museum, shopping and restaurants. Getting here is a breeze just located a few miles away from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

“Now more than ever, Pacific Hospitality Group is very excited to add our first Hyatt Place to our portfolio and our second hotel asset in Arizona. Our family has been in the hotel business for more than 30 years and we see this development as a testament to our commitment to our team members, guests and communities that our industry will come back from the devastation of Covid-19,” said Garrett Busch, Vice President of Capital Markets for Pacific Hospitality Group. “We are especially committed to the Arizona market and our budding relationship with the Hyatt brand,” added Busch. “The Arizona market, specifically downtown, is a top development market for PHG. We see a lot of potential in the economic diversity of the area, as well as the ASU presence and the scale of offerings in sporting and social events.”

“When seeking out a brand for this project, Hyatt was an obvious choice. Hyatt brings a longstanding tradition in excellence in hospitality; and the strength in their loyalty platform, World of Hyatt, will bring value to the diversity of offerings in the area.” Busch stated. “Similarly, we could not be more pleased to be partnering with Mortenson on this exciting project. Our partnerships with Mortenson and our long-time lending partner American National Insurance Company, especially in these times, have made this project possible. While this is our first project with Mortenson, this is our 7th ground up development with American National Insurance Company, among many other acquisition financings and refinancing’s over our 20+ year relationship. We are grateful to their whole organization for always supporting us and sharing in our vision investing in Phoenix for the long term.”

As a co-developer and builder for the hotel, this is Mortenson’s second Hyatt-flagged hotel in the Valley, as well as the second hospitality development in downtown Phoenix for the firm, second to the Hampton Inn & Suites located at Polk Street and 1st Street.

“Building upon our partnership we have established with Hyatt through the success of our Hyatt Place/Hyatt House hotel in Tempe, set to open this summer, Mortenson is proud to be partnering with Hyatt, Pacific Hospitality Group and the City of Phoenix to deliver this project for the community,” said George Forristall, director of commercial real estate at Mortenson. “The urban environment and vitality downtown are what attracted us to support the City of Phoenix in further enhancing the area with a new hospitality amenity.”

Hyatt Place Phoenix Downtown will offer:

• 238 spacious guestrooms with separate spaces to sleep, work and play, as well as a Cozy Corner sofa-sleeper
• Breakfast Bar featuring hot breakfast items, fresh fruit, steel cut oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and more
• The Market serving freshly prepared meals anytime, day or night
• Custom Lobby and Bar featuring an outdoor patio along Adams Street, premium beers, as well as wines and cocktails
• Necessities program for forgotten items that guests can buy, borrow or enjoy for free
• Free Wi-Fi throughout hotel and guestrooms
• Event Spaces offer 4,000 square feet of flexible, high-tech meeting/function space
• Fitness Center featuring cardio equipment with LCD touchscreens
Source:https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...moves-forward/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 11:00 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest