HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:19 AM
Small but Mighty

I know that this isn't the best mindset to have and that it most definitely ignores what science has been telling us but it simply won't make sense over the next few weeks to maintain the lock down at the same level it is now because of our neighboring states. Indiana is really starting to open up with restaurants and bars opening up this week and more to come. Although I personally haven't been to Indiana in the past few weeks, family members there tell me it is way more relaxed than here. What is the point of having a stay at home order when we could have thousands of people crossing the Indiana border or Wisconsin border or Iowa border every day possibly bringing Covid-19? Now I understand that our state has way more cases than those states but my point still stands. We are a nation after all, not a collection of independent states (as much as Pritzker and Trump would like). Of course if we had had a nationwide lockdown (or at least better federal direction) than there wouldn't be any problems here but that's not the case.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:27 PM

people can ignore it all they want. where are they going to go? restaurants/bars/sports/concerts/outdoor festivals+gatherings are the primary draws in the summer, none of that will be happening.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You do not think that the increased death toll is not related to at least a 50% drop in people getting any kind of health care for any reason because of the shut down? I've seen people with heart attacks waiting for 3 days before they come to the hospital out of fear and now they are too late to fix with a stent in the Cath lab, their heart is too damaged and die from multi organ failure and not the virus. The media did an extreme job scaring the living crap out of at least 50% of the people in this country. These people in their 40-50's had 30 more years to live. But to get reimbursed they will be fudged into covid deaths to get federal money. The last I heard it was $39,000 reimbursement for every covid death.

The Shut down is killing more people the virus now at this point.
No, because even if the shutdown is causing medical deaths that are not Covid-related - and possibly increasing suicides - it's also decreasing certain kinds of deaths.

Certain kinds of deaths are down - as I mentioned, car accidents, street/gang crime, shootings, etc.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
You do not think that the increased death toll is not related to at least a 50% drop in people getting any kind of health care for any reason because of the shut down? I've seen people with heart attacks waiting for 3 days before they come to the hospital out of fear and now they are too late to fix with a stent in the Cath lab, their heart is too damaged and die from multi organ failure and not the virus. The media did an extreme job scaring the living crap out of at least 50% of the people in this country. These people in their 40-50's had 30 more years to live. But to get reimbursed they will be fudged into covid deaths to get federal money. The last I heard it was $39,000 reimbursement for every covid death.

The Shut down is killing more people the virus now at this point.
I do not think that people are not getting 'any kind of healthcare" . I have been in for my regular check up and for a minor procedure in office. I was administered a covid test in office. Your one off example where you claim to have "seen people wait 3 days with a heart attack" before they come in to hospital for treatment is ridiculous hyperbole. The media is not scaring me- what scares me is armed militia taunting people who are following the directives from healthcare officials.
And you statement that the shut down is killing more people....is yet another example of uninformed opinion being mistaken for facts.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 9:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
I do not think that people are not getting 'any kind of healthcare" . I have been in for my regular check up and for a minor procedure in office. I was administered a covid test in office. Your one off example where you claim to have "seen people wait 3 days with a heart attack" before they come in to hospital for treatment is ridiculous hyperbole. The media is not scaring me- what scares me is armed militia taunting people who are following the directives from healthcare officials.
And you statement that the shut down is killing more people....is yet another example of uninformed opinion being mistaken for facts.
Thank you for posting some common sense and not overblown hyperbole. Much appreciated!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
It's not hyperbole dude, there have been multiple studies showing that hospitalizations for heart attacks and strokes, for example, are wayyyyy down since the lockdown began. Social distancing does not reduce stroke or cardio risks. This means that patients experiencing mild symptoms of these events are not going to the hospital or maybe not even realizing it happened to them. In the case of stroke something like 70% of them are first identified by a family member or friend, not the paitent themselves, because the symptoms (particularly the earliest ones that give the most warning to accelerate treatment) tend to disorient the patient or be unnoticeable to them.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:56 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago's ubiquitous parkways sure have come in handy for social distancing picnics with neighbors, at least from what I've been seeing around Lincoln Square.

Who knew that a somewhat forgettable built environment design decision made in the 19th century would pay such huge dividends toward some semblance of social normalcy during a 21st century pandemic.

Well played, city planners of old.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 10:07 PM

Can someone with access please post any highlights from this article? Thanks!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...les-boom-rolls

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:08 PM
The City

My sentiments continue to align with the Chicago Tribune editorial board on these matters:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...oja-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:40 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My sentiments continue to align with the Chicago Tribune editorial board on these matters:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...oja-story.html
Doesn't mean that the editorial board of the Tribune knows what they're talking about. 'Recovery' is a phrase that many, including the Tribune use way too lightly; what's gonna happen when everyone outside of Chicago rushes to go to a bar or restaurant this weekend? Oh wait, we already know, considering that other states jumped the gun when they weren't ready and cases went up again:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/09/85305...o-do-so-safely

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rus-update-us/

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/eve...-in-new-cases/

Considering that over the past 15 years, the Chicago Tribune is mostly illegible and deliberately parochial, perhaps consider a slew of other sources, if you and others are so inclined?

Slow and steady is always a good measure to try and regain some semblance of normalcy, considering that this plague is still not under control. I know two people who have died in the past 2 months due to Covid, one of whom I've been very close to over the past twenty years. Additionally, one of my best friends, who is super fit, muscular and in great shape is currently in a medically-induced coma, fighting for his life due to Covid.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 5:26 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Doesn't mean that the editorial board of the Tribune knows what they're talking about. 'Recovery' is a phrase that many, including the Tribune use way too lightly; what's gonna happen when everyone outside of Chicago rushes to go to a bar or restaurant this weekend? Oh wait, we already know, considering that other states jumped the gun when they weren't ready and cases went up again:

Considering that over the past 15 years, the Chicago Tribune is mostly illegible and deliberately parochial, perhaps consider a slew of other sources, if you and others are so inclined?

Slow and steady is always a good measure to try and regain some semblance of normalcy, considering that this plague is still not under control. I know two people who have died in the past 2 months due to Covid, one of whom I've been very close to over the past twenty years. Additionally, one of my best friends, who is super fit, muscular and in great shape is currently in a medically-induced coma, fighting for his life due to Covid.
Best of luck to your friend.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 1:57 PM

Yeah at this point what's another couple weeks? It's clear we've already crushed the worst of the outbreak, why not kick Covid while it's down?

Two of my tenants who were laid off have already been rehired anyhow. One is a store manager at GAP and is coming back to run their curbside operation and prep for limited retail relaunch. The other is a dog groomer and actually got a huge promotion to the PetSmart ultra lux salon in Gold Coast. She's now clearing over $90k as a groomer which is rediculous. Apparently her bosses used the layoffs to shit can everyone who had been under performing anyhow. This is actually how recessions are beneficial btw, it dislodges people who are fat and happy and underperforming and, ideally, winds up with them moving to other jobs they are better suited for.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:19 PM
The City

Quote:

Really sorry to hear about your two friends. Wow, that’s devastating!

The debate about this has been exhausting, but I find it odd that you say that about the Tribune. I have the opposite opinion, actually. Over the past 15 years I have become turned off by national media conglomerates and, particularly when it comes to local affairs, much prefer local media. Call it parochial or what you will, local news outlets are nearly the only semblance of honest media left in this country. I think the Tribune editorial board is full of informed adults; they know what’s going on and they see the big picture. I happen to agree with them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 9:51 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

The Trib really feels like it's targeting more suburban readers (maybe not too surprising as more people live in the suburbs than the city), to the extent that it's often offputting. Especially archsuburbanite John Kass's screeds.

Last edited by SIGSEGV; May 30, 2020 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 12:02 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Really sorry to hear about your two friends. Wow, that’s devastating!

The debate about this has been exhausting, but I find it odd that you say that about the Tribune. I have the opposite opinion, actually. Over the past 15 years I have become turned off by national media conglomerates and, particularly when it comes to local affairs, much prefer local media. Call it parochial or what you will, local news outlets are nearly the only semblance of honest media left in this country. I think the Tribune editorial board is full of informed adults; they know what’s going on and they see the big picture. I happen to agree with them.
For the record, my ire was directed not at you but at the Tribune, and for what me feels like an editorial board taking a stance that doesn't align with scientific consensus, as well as examples of states that took an uncalculated risk by opening too early.
Here's the deal: we all want things to open up again, have some semblance of normalcy return; for us, family, friends, neighbors, colleagues to go back to work, etc. A pandemic takes time, and even though we're seemingly getting better, I worry about premature actions that may exacerbate the issue. We'll get through this, because we have no choice. It'll just take a little bit more time.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:37 PM
Small but Mighty

^^Did anything happen to One Chicago last night? River North was a complete shit show and I hope its ok.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 3:41 PM
Small but Mighty

^^Oh it was a lot worst than that. Hundreds of businesses were looted across the Loop. You can't get into or out of the Loop now. Multiple shops burned. At least a dozen cop cars torched. I was listening to police scanners last night just absolutely heartbroken. This sucks so much. Multiple people were shot and killed, some on live video (from social media). If Lori doesn't call in the national guard today I am going to be so mad. She has already shown a complete lack of leadership in these riots. The cops last night were all asking, and I quote, "Where is the mayor?" She should have given a late night press conference and instead did nothing while the city burned. Absolutely outrageous. The looters even got as far as Wicker and LP. Unbelievable. I was devastated.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:17 PM
BANNED

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...an-up/2280980/

Illinois National Guard Activated, CTA and Metra Cancel Trains

Published May 31, 2020 • Updated 26 mins ago

1:37 p.m.: Chicago Police to Work 12 Hour Shifts, All Days Off Canceled

1:11 p.m.: Authorities Restrict Access to Chicago Loop, Central Business District

11:50 a.m.: 240 People Arrested, More Than 20 Officers Injured During Protests, Looting in Downtown

11:35 a.m.: Pritzker to Activate National Guard to Assist Chicago Police

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:26 PM
Plenary pleasures.

This is from a Minneapolis poster in that city construction thread; I wonder how much of the looting/destruction in Chicago is from similar opportunistic assholes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordeast Homer View Post
Talking with friends who are first responders and seeing things first hand; a large number of the instigators are white males in tactical gear arriving in large numbers in vehicles with no plates. These guys are very organized and are creating chaos within large crowds then splintering off, pretty much making law enforcement chase them around, then disappearing into residential neighborhoods.
These guys are clearly not a part of the neighborhoods, the residents of these neighborhoods have been the ones cleaning up and trying to help.
I could go on and on, story after story.
Minneapolis will come back and we will rebuild, but this is a scar that will take a long time to heal.
We know from our local leaders there will be changes, there have to be, we can't go through this again. The economic disparities in our city between people of color and whites is astounding and needs to change.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 6:34 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
This is from a Minneapolis poster in that city construction thread; I wonder how much of the looting/destruction in Chicago is from similar opportunistic assholes:
^^I can tell you for a fact that is not at all what I've seen here. This is, according to at least the people who were arrested last night, almost entirely people from the Chicagoland area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest