HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 4:47 PM
Modulator

We're already discussing Huss in the Dining thread. Can we move the conversation there please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Then what are they doing to the south side of the convention center? Removed all the trees and everything. What is going in?
They are building permanent shoring walls along the South side. Apparently when it was first built, the shoring walls were only temporary for possible future underground expansion to the South building. I suppose this means that will no longer be happening.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:12 PM
Modulator

Here's the most current update of 1 E. Adams (Berger/Hanny's). I'm really disappointed in this design and I honestly feel Phoenix should reject it for a more favorable project. The design is bland, the height is poor for such a prime location and the canopy/steel shade structure on the roof looks like something that was a complete afterthought. I also think this is a very dated looking design reminiscent of something from the 60's/70's. Phoenix can do better than this when the market is this hot and there shouldn't be any more mediocre proposals at this point. It looks like the reviewer did pencil in a lot of concerns, but it's hard to read. I hope this gets much needed changes before final approval.

Full FACT is uploaded to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yLK...ew?usp=sharing

Also, here's the FACT finding for X Phoenix Basecamp. No renderings except building footprint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bi...ew?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:15 PM

Not every building can be Salesforce Tower.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:35 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Not every building can be Salesforce Tower.
This adds nothing to my posts and I feel you are now just intentionally jabbing at me now to intimidate me for a response because I didn't agree with you about Derby yesterday. This is trolling. Give it a rest man.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Here's the most current update of 1 E. Adams (Berger/Hanny's). I'm really disappointed in this design and I honestly feel Phoenix should reject it for a more favorable project. The design is bland, the height is poor for such a prime location and the canopy/steel shade structure on the roof looks like something that was a complete afterthought. I also think this is a very dated looking design reminiscent of something from the 60's/70's. Phoenix can do better than this when the market is this hot and there shouldn't be any more mediocre proposals at this point. It looks like the reviewer did pencil in a lot of concerns, but it's hard to read. I hope this gets much needed changes before final approval.

Full FACT is uploaded to my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yLK...ew?usp=sharing

Also, here's the FACT finding for X Phoenix Basecamp. No renderings except building footprint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bi...ew?usp=sharing
It looks awful, after Genslers great design this is a major let down.

I dont mind something like this getting built around downtown as like a spec office building or some nondiscript hotel but this was billed as a nice boutique hotel with an interesting design.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:04 PM

True North Updates,

It appears that the Knipe House portion is a go and they have been doing dirt movement for a few weeks now at the location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-downtown.html

Hopefully the Knipe house and low rise office building will begin soon.

Quote:
Phoenix City Council will discuss a request from True North Studio Wednesday afternoon to extend the development timeline of a 19-story office building it has planned for the Roosevelt Row Arts District.

True North Studio was the successful respondent to a city-issued request for proposals in 2017 for redevelopment of the historic Knipe House and six additional parcels near Roosevelt Street. The company proposed building multiple buildings totaling 354,000 square feet of commercial space, 77,000 square feet of retail space and 1,100 parking spaces. The plan included restoring the historic home and turning it into a restaurant. At the time of the proposal, the development was estimated to cost $151 million, according to city documents.

The agreement allowed True North to complete the project in phases:

The first phase was renovating and preserving the Leighton G. Knipe House, which has since closed and is planned to reopen as a restaurant later this year.
The development's second phase included buying an acre of land near the Knipe House to develop a five-story, 135,000-square-foot office and retail building. True North received permits for the building and is expected to begin construction soon.
The third phase, the 19-story office tower, is the subject of the extension requests. True North is asking the city for two six-month extensions. The first would allow the company to close escrow by June 15. If True North does not close escrow by then, they would be able to extend the timeline to December 15, if the amendments are approved.
"This is a three-phase project," said Dorina Bustamante of True North Studios. "We have closed on the acquisition of both phase one and phase two. Although phase one is close to completion, both phases have experienced typical construction delays. Therefore, we've asked the city for an extension for the acquisition of phase three."

The whole project, known as the Ro2 development, is part of a major wave of planned developments for True North in the Roosevelt Row area.

So far, the developer has finished building the Cambria hotel on Portland and Third streets and is the landlord for Punch Bowl Social, which remained unopened despite a planned fall 2019 opening.

The company’s highest-priced purchase, the Ten-O-One office building and accompanying parking lot at Roosevelt Street and Central Avenue, cost $15.25 million and is under renovation. True North Studio plans to create the “land yacht club” around the parking garage, which will have Airstream trailers surrounding the garage in what is envisioned as housing for artists.

True North, led by Jonathon Vento, is also the developer of the planned Meow Wolf hotel and art exhibition, which was announced in early 2019.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:04 PM

I remember people on this board hoping for ANYTHING on the Berger lot. Now 16 stories from a premier architect is insufficient? I bet it ends up looking really cool

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
^ I remember people on this board hoping for ANYTHING on that lot. Now 16 stories from a premier architect is insufficient? I bet it ends up looking really cool
the 2020's is our breakout decade Lets do it right

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
the 2020's is our breakout decade Lets do it right
Looks right to me!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
This adds nothing to my posts and I feel you are now just intentionally jabbing at me now to intimidate me for a response because I didn't agree with you about Derby yesterday. This is trolling. Give it a rest man.
You're reading into this way too much. I don't care about internet chat boards enough to be so passive aggressive.

The mindset here seems to be desperately wishing for things to be built and then complaining about how the design isn't what you want. Repeat cycle over and over again. It is what it is, all the complaining gets old.

On a more positive note, it's only a matter of time before someone sees Vento making money and decides to beat him to the punch. I sincerely hope we see this happen as a little competition in the neighborhood will accelerate things tenfold.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:18 PM

Honestly, it's really hard to tell if this design is okay or not. I'd need to see some color renderings where the colors/materials are visualized. Yes, it's a boring, short box but I'm not sure I'd call it retro or not until we see some color. I get cranky about the lack of height in PHX more than anybody but we seem to be going in the density-over-sporadic-height direction and I suppose that is fine. We will never be an Atlanta or Seattle but we can still do < 500 ft and end up with nice density and diversity like SD...(maybe???)...anyway, looks par for course to me...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:21 PM

If we have 10-50 story buildings with good street interaction and all densely pact we will have a good downtown.

Height alone is no indicator of how a city is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:25 AM
Chase M

Quote:
If we have 10-50 story buildings with good street interaction and all densely pact we will have a good downtown.

I agree, I love height as much as anyone here but street interaction is key to creating a true urban center as it helps create walkability.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2019/1...up-part-1.html

Take this image from "Denver Infill," sure these are nice additions in terms of adding more living space and a somewhat urban feel in Denver but notice the lack of street interaction, really no shops, no restaurants, etc visible down the entire block, it creates a dead space.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:

We will never get a 50 story building in Phoenix. I generally agree otherwise but significant height along with *some* density (e.g., Houston) is pretty damn impressive from afar and up close. I'd take Seattle over Houston but I'd take Houston over Washington DC (ignore historical value and beauty - just skyline I'm talking). And, unfortunately, I'm probably alone on this but I'd take one beautiful 70 story tower near Chase Tower (e.g., Devon Energy tower in OKC) over 5 25-story buildings. Serious height somewhat isolated can be breath-taking also. There is no "magic" formula to me...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:06 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
I have to interject with this.

People here were just complaining about height of the Berger proposal and you, Ronnie, were gracious are enough to post the renderings. I deeply respect your contributions to this place. There isn't a single person here that rejects those contributions or what you have long done here.

biggus posted some snarkiness in response to the height of the salesforce tower, which is absolutely expected in this industry, and that's what he meant. There was no harm nor foul to anybody or you personally on this forum UNLESS, and I DO MEAN UNLESS, that they were personally involved with the project which is none of you.

I have long watched this forum for as time erases memories over a decade and I don't think biggus is the dick people here think he is. He is zero on my watchlist and I don't believe he means any harm besides calling out realities of things.

This industry is full of bros, incompetents, douchebags, swindlers, and morons and I refuse to regulate petty disagreements amongst people, especially here, that seem to cannot understand projects objectively. I called out Berger's height reduction, not specifically, but was extremely skeptical of them overall with their abundant flex space that never gets built.

That being said, if anyone takes criticism on a project because we have naysayers, skeptics, or whatever that are unlikely to buy into tower fetishism, all I ask is you grow some thicker skin or smash my opinion of reality. Having lived through the disaster of condomania which destroyed my investment downtown and precipitated my exodus from Phoenix, read your history books.

A rendering and a plan is nothing by itself until the goddamn thing has the CofO because even W6 in Tempe was pretty much done before people were thinking about tearing it down. That doesn't mean we don't want to see it and hopefully have appropriately skeptical debate.

Finally, Ronnie, I again need to reiterate how appreciate I am of you posting project information and zero people are hating on you for it. Including biggus.

Last edited by combusean; Jan 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:53 PM

^ Yep, Ronnie you are the key contributor for last couple years that I can tell...at least of actual renderings/details and it is MUCH appreciated

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:57 PM

FYI the local press wants us to know that this should be starting soon.

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...amily-project/

Quote:
Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today it will host a groundbreaking ceremony for its new downtown Phoenix luxury multifamily complex Adeline—its first multifamily property in the Phoenix market—on January 14, 2020.

Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego, Councilmember Michael Nowakowski and City of Phoenix Community and Economic Development Director Christine Mackay are scheduled to speak along with Chris Anderson, senior managing director and Arizona leader for Hines. Hip Historian Marshall Shore also will speak.

Hines’ new 25-story, 379-unit luxury multifamily complex will feature an urban courtyard, junior Olympic-size swimming pool, and clubhouse, providing luxury living at its finest in downtown Phoenix near Talking Stick Resort Arena and the new downtown Fry’s grocery store.

“Hines has a long tradition of developing iconic luxury multifamily properties across the country. We are building on that expertise to develop Adeline, which will offer unparalleled luxury in Phoenix,” said Anderson.

WHAT: Groundbreaking for Hines’ new luxury multifamily complex

WHEN: 10 a.m. January 14, 2020

WHERE: 222 E. Jefferson Street, Phoenix (2nd level at Collier Center)

PARKING: Park in the Collier Center garage – Washington Street entrance

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 3:58 PM
Modulator

Phoenix has approved a request from TrueNorth for 2 six-month extensions for their 19-story office tower which is apparently to be built in phase 3 of the Ro2 development. I believe this is proposed for the lot on the south-side of Portland between 2nd and 1st Streets.

Quote:
Developer gets extension for downtown Roosevelt Row high-rise office

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Jan 8, 2020, 9:50am MST Updated Jan 8, 2020, 2:56pm MST

Phoenix City Council approved a request from True North Studio Wednesday afternoon to extend the development timeline of a 19-story office building it has planned for the Roosevelt Row Arts District.

True North Studio was the successful respondent to a city-issued request for proposals in 2017 for redevelopment of the historic Knipe House and six additional parcels near Roosevelt Street. The company proposed building multiple buildings totaling 354,000 square feet of commercial space, 77,000 square feet of retail space and 1,100 parking spaces. The plan included restoring the historic home and turning it into a restaurant. At the time of the proposal, the development was estimated to cost $151 million, according to city documents.

The agreement allowed True North Studio to complete the project in phases:

-The first phase was renovating and preserving the Leighton G. Knipe House, which has since closed and is planned to reopen as a restaurant later this year.

-The development's second phase included buying an acre of land near the Knipe House to develop a five-story, 135,000-square-foot office and retail building. True North Studio received permits for the building and is expected to begin construction soon.

-The third phase, the 19-story office tower, is the subject of the extension request. True North Studio is asking the city for two six-month extensions. The first would allow the company to close escrow by June 15. If True North does not close escrow by then, they would be able to extend the timeline to December 15.

"This is a three-phase project," said Dorina Bustamante of True North Studio. "We have closed on the acquisition of both phase one and phase two. Although phase one is close to completion, both phases have experienced typical construction delays. Therefore, we've asked the city for an extension for the acquisition of phase three."

The whole project, known as the Ro2 development, is part of a major wave of planned developments for True North in the Roosevelt Row area.

So far, the developer has finished building the Cambria hotel on Portland and Third streets and is the landlord for Punch Bowl Social, which is still under construction but has not yet opened despite a planned fall 2019 opening. The firm recently opened two other Roosevelt-area restaurants, Josephine and Coup de Grâce.

The company’s highest-priced purchase, the Ten-O-One office building and accompanying parking lot at Roosevelt Street and Central Avenue, cost $15.25 million and is under renovation. True North Studio plans to create the “land yacht club” around the parking garage, which will have Airstream trailers surrounding the garage in what is envisioned as housing for artists.

True North, led by Jonathon Vento, is also the developer of the planned Meow Wolf hotel and art exhibition, which was announced in early 2019.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-downtown.html

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:36 AM

I was downtown for a suns game last Friday night. Wow i couldn't believe how much of an impact that block 23 has made. I was diff upset about the height, but damn it diff adds to a more urban feel down there. Oh and the Frys is amazing.

And as someone who has followed this site since 2012 it was crazy to go threw all the old posts and read all the doubt we had of anything getting built period to whats going on now.

It feels likes this boom has to end soon but hopefully not. But as long as we get that Astra id still be happy. For as much as all these mid size and 200-350 feet deveolpments are nice I want a real deal skyscraper and this one feels like the first one that might actual happen in a long time!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:46 PM

Another Park Central Tenant!

WCUI School of Medical Imaging and Nursing moving into Park Central

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/b...-park-central/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest