HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 2:39 AM

Whataburger - Chicago's Most Famous Texas Hamburger Chain

Molson Coors - Chicago's Most Famous Colorado Brewery

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 PM

Seems journalist at the Denver Post and marketing professors at the University of Colorado are not happy with Coors or Chicago.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/0...o-from-denver/

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Seems journalist at the Denver Post and marketing professors at the University of Colorado are not happy with Coors or Chicago.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/11/0...o-from-denver/
Kind of laughable. I mean University of Colorado is good but the guys quoted basically have no idea what they're talking about. They read too many CNBC articles on "where millennials move" instead of looking at real data too.

I mean the guy clearly hasn't a clue of what he's even talking about
Quote:
“People move here because they want to be in the area. This is an incredible town for millennials, whereas Chicago is not,” he said.
LOL - both are good places for millennials. No doubt Denver has been great in the increase since 2010, but stating some place isn't a great place for millennials is probably something a dean of a business school shouldn't be commenting on in the first place. This is one example of a guy who thinks you have to put another place down just to prop up your own.

Last edited by marothisu; Nov 5, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:35 PM

Yeah... that Denver post article....

I can't necessarily blame the frustration of losing a big loc company with a deep history in the area. And certainly, you have to write articles that will be appreciated by your readers. But the tone and conclusions reached in show just how little they understand the needs of huge corporations, and the need to be located near huge talent pools. And no Denver, you're not in Chicago's league. Get over yourselves.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Yeah... that Denver post article....

I can't necessarily blame the frustration of losing a big loc company with a deep history in the area. And certainly, you have to write articles that will be appreciated by your readers. But the tone and conclusions reached in show just how little they understand the needs of huge corporations, and the need to be located near huge talent pools. And no Denver, you're not in Chicago's league. Get over yourselves.
The people quoted in that article read too many Forbes listicles about "where millennials are moving".

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:06 AM

Another Fortune 500 company in the city. They’ll probably just steal the White Claw marketing team.

I learned this recently, did people know White Claw is based here? At least that’s what my quick Googling indicates.

Along with a Constellation Brands beer division and Beam Suntory US HQ, Chicago has a pretty nice booze talent pool.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:20 AM

I actually didn't think that article was negative about Chicago considering what it could have been. I thought is was reasonable but I did just glance over it. One thing though. The Denver Post's website is worse than the Tribune's. Now that is a hard feat to beat!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I actually didn't think that article was negative about Chicago considering what it could have been. I thought is was reasonable but I did just glance over it. One thing though. The Denver Post's website is worse than the Tribune's. Now that is a hard feat to beat!
Maybe you should actually read it. The first half of the article was very reasonable. The second half was wuotes by the business school dean at U of Colorado talking about how Denver probably has better marketing talent than Chicago (not true) and that Chicago isnt a good city for millenials. Why a middle aged man would comment about what cities are good or bad for millenials is beyond me.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:29 PM

HAHAHAHA - That article. Ugh.

First, in no way does Denver have the breadth or depth of the marketing pool that Chicago has, especially in CPG. It just doesn't. And they professors contradict themselves - yes Chicago has more marketing professionals and yes they have more prestigious B-shools, but by golly, we would be a better choice!

Second, and the article mentions it in passing, but 70% of Molson Coors business was from MillerCoors. The fact that there were 2 C-suite executive levels after the Molson Coors bought out the JV with SAB Miller, was crazy. Chicago was driving most of the marketing AND operations for the company since the JV started, and certainly drove it after.

The only reason they would have moved the headquarters to Denver is if Pete Coors had insisted.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killaviews View Post
Another Fortune 500 company in the city. They’ll probably just steal the White Claw marketing team.

I learned this recently, did people know White Claw is based here? At least that’s what my quick Googling indicates.

Along with a Constellation Brands beer division and Beam Suntory US HQ, Chicago has a pretty nice booze talent pool.
Wow, apparently White Claw and Mikes Hard Lemonade are owned by The Mark Anthony Group in Chicago. How is this their company website though?

https://www.mabrewing.com/

It looks a free template they downloaded in 1997, I can't believe a marketing team like that has that as their website. I couldn't find any other websites for their company.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Maybe you should actually read it. The first half of the article was very reasonable. The second half was wuotes by the business school dean at U of Colorado talking about how Denver probably has better marketing talent than Chicago (not true) and that Chicago isnt a good city for millenials. Why a middle aged man would comment about what cities are good or bad for millenials is beyond me.
Oh you too? Going to resort to this type of conversation

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Oh you too? Going to resort to this type of conversation
I responded to you saying this:
"but I did just glance over it."

The first half of the article is very reasonable and good. Then it segues frankly weirdly after a long time. If you merely glanced over the article, chances are that you read the reasonable part of the article and thought thats how the entire article was.

I stand by my comment. You should read the whole article and not just glance over it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I responded to you saying this:
"but I did just glance over it."

The first half of the article is very reasonable and good. Then it segues frankly weirdly after a long time. If you merely glanced over the article, chances are that you read the reasonable part of the article and thought thats how the entire article was.

I stand by my comment. You should read the whole article and not just glance over it.
Yeah, hard not to laugh at some of the comments about young people and marketing labor pools of Denver and Chicago. Obviously the Colorado professor is completely clueless.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:51 PM

Qualtrics expanding to 200 employees

Tribune is reporting that Qualtrics is taking 25,000 sq ft at 191 N Wacker 12th floor. Current 45 employees expanding to 200. Mainly sales & marketing. They provide HR software and count Hyatt, Cars.com and Crate & Barrel as clients.
Qualtrics is based in SLC and is owned by SAP of Germany.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:05 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...move-expansion

Cloud storage firm nears West Loop HQ move, expansion

IManage is looking to add at least 50 jobs next year and is closing in on a deal for a bigger home office.

A Chicago tech firm that provides space in the cloud for companies to store information is poised to take more office space in the West Loop for its growing local team.

After adding more than 100 jobs at its downtown headquarters over the past couple of years, iManage is nearing a deal to lease around 80,000 square feet at 71 S. Wacker Drive, according to sources familiar with the company's plans.

The company is in advanced talks to move to the Wacker Drive tower from 540 W. Madison St., where it has outgrown the 48,000 square feet it moved into in 2017.

Executives for iManage declined to comment on specifics of a potential move but acknowledged the company's recent growth and plans to boost headcount. The company has grown to more than 300 employees in Chicago from just under 200 two years ago and is eyeing at least 50 more hires at its main office over the next 14 months, said Chief Financial Officer Ray Scheppach.

"Chicago's a great market, and given the educational institutions that are in the city and nearby, it feeds quite a bit of our candidate pool," Scheppach said, adding that iManage is "continuing to explore our options" for downtown office space.

IManage is one of many tech companies that have beefed up their Chicago workforces in recent years, tapping into a deep pool of Midwest tech talent. Downtown office landlords have enjoyed the spoils of that demand, which has ranged from giants like Google, Facebook and Salesforce to a flurry of locally grown tech companies like iManage gobbling up office space.

If iManage completes a move to 71 S. Wacker, it would be a win

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:17 PM
BANNED

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ievable-demand

November 12, 2019 12:25 PM |updated a day ago

Industrial vacancy rate keeps falling amid 'unbelievable' demand

Fueled largely by the e-commerce boom, the local rate dropped to 6.15 percent in the third quarter, its lowest since the beginning of 2001.

It’s getting hard to find new superlatives to describe the strength of the market for warehouse space in the Chicago area.

Fueled largely by the e-commerce boom, the local industrial vacancy rate dropped to 6.15 percent in the third quarter, down from 6.25 percent in the second quarter and 6.4 percent a year earlier, according to Colliers International. The local vacancy rate hasn’t been that low since the beginning of 2001.

“The demand has just been unbelievable,” said broker Fred Regnery, principal in Colliers’ Rosemont office.

It’s unbelievable because of the strong economy, which has boosted sales of goods manufactured and stored in industrial buildings. ...

The primary measure of demand, net absorption—or the change in the amount of leased space versus the prior period—totaled 9.2 million square feet in the third quarter in the Chicago market, the most industrial space here absorbed in a quarter since 2005, according to Colliers. Net absorption has been positive for 28 quarters in a row.

To stay ahead of demand, developers have been building warehouses as fast as they can, often on speculation, or without signing a tenant in advance. In far-flung suburbs, where land is plentiful, they’re putting up massive concrete boxes, some exceeding a million square feet (nearly 23 acres). In Plainfield, Atlanta-based developer Seefried Industrial Properties is overseeing the biggest current project in the area, a 1.5 million-square-foot warehouse for British liquor company Diageo.

Developers have a reputation for overshooting the market, but they haven’t yet in Chicago. They’re expected to complete 23.7 million square feet here this year, just shy of the 24.8 million square feet completed in 2017, a high for the current boom, according to Colliers.

Yet demand is keeping up with supply. Colliers forecasts that Chicago-area absorption will total 22.5 million square feet this year. That would be the second-highest amount absorbed in the current cycle since 2016, when absorption totaled 26.6 million square feet.

President Donald Trump’s trade war with China has hurt U.S. manufacturers and dampened business investment but has yet to trickle down into the Chicago industrial property market, Regnery said.

“The underlying fundamentals have been so good,” he said. “The tariffs haven’t been big enough to change anybody’s plan.”

Long overshadowed by sexier sectors like office buildings and hotels, the industrial real estate market has acquired a halo over the past few years as more investors have viewed it as an e-commerce real estate bet.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Tribune is reporting that Qualtrics is taking 25,000 sq ft at 191 N Wacker 12th floor. Current 45 employees expanding to 200. Mainly sales & marketing. They provide HR software and count Hyatt, Cars.com and Crate & Barrel as clients.
Qualtrics is based in SLC and is owned by SAP of Germany.
For those that don't have a subscription

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...dcu-story.html

West Coast-based software company Qualtrics already has 250 clients in Chicago. Now it’s hiring 200 people for a Loop office.

Ally Marotti

Chicago Tribune |

Nov 13, 2019 | 5:00 AM

The building at 191 N. Wacker Drive, center, will be home to the Chicago office of Quatrics, which plans to open a 25,000-square-foot office on the 12th floor in the spring.

Qualtrics, a software company headquartered in Salt Lake City and Seattle, plans to open a Chicago office next year and hire more than 200 employees.

The 25,000-square-foot office, set to open next spring, will be on the 12th floor of 191 N. Wacker Drive. The positions mostly will be in sales and marketing,, said Ryan Smith, Qualtrics co-founder and CEO.

“The plan is to create 200 jobs as fast as we can go,” he said. “We’ve hired out of Chicago a lot, we just relocate them to other offices. ... We want to offer them the option to stay in Chicago.”

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:56 AM

DataCubes Raises $15M to Disrupt the Insurance Underwriting Process

https://www.americaninno.com/chicago...iting-process/

Quote:
DataCubes announced Thursday that it raised $15.2 million in a Series B round led by Palm Drive Capital, a New York-based venture capital and growth equity fund that invests in software and internet companies.

Founded in 2016, DataCubes has created a platform for insurance companies that allows them to make underwriting decisions more quickly based on risk data.

Malik said the new financing will primarily be used to hire 50 new employees across customer success, technology and data departments. To accommodate the growth, the startup is moving into a bigger, 12,000-square-foot office in Schaumburg that can hold up to 120 people. DataCubes employs about 50 people now.

“I’m a big fan of building things within Chicago because it’s a great place, where you have lots of talent,” Malik said. “It’s absolutely a great pace to build your company and hopefully [we] add to the big unicorns that have come out of Chicago.”

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:54 PM

Love the news, hate their location. It’d be great to see Schaumburg start to “grow up” if the suburban office market makes a comeback. The blue line would need to be extended, but the 90/290 junction could probably be retrofitted to be Evanston-lite.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:13 PM

Thoughts on this? I imagine Chicago is responsible for most of the job growth, but why so slow?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...owth-hits-wall

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest