HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:26 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Steely, I am not gonna lie, I am a wuss about riding in the cold. I rode today, I survived. But when I am needing studded tires...it might take me a while to get the hang of riding in such cold temps lol I'm gonna have to eventually suck it up and do it. I know :S

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:16 AM

Welcome to Chicago!

I also biked this morning (and every day of the year except one). Cheers!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
hes just taken his bigotry to Curbed instead. dude has always been toxic, good riddance.
Speaking as a reliable contrarian, I hope he (tup) comes back.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 9:28 PM

I thought tup was funny and livened it up around here, it's pretty dull here now.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:22 PM

I just got back from a recent visit to new york... no matter how many times I visit I can't get over how gorgeous and massive their built environment is. So much fine grain development, I love that city.

This morning I'm browsing historical aerial images from 1938 (pretty awesome: http://collections.carli.illinois.ed...ic_caps/page/4) and it really makes my heart hurt to see all of the lowrise density that was destroyed for parking lots/unused open space. Imagine what Chicago would look like today if west side of the city hadn't been totally decimated for car use? And it's a damn shame because even though we're seeing so much development lately, so much of it is ugly/cheap, or Schaumburgian planned developments. Just a real travesty what the second half of the 20th century did to this city.

Anyway, sorry. That's your downer post for the day.

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/142/rec/64

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/214/rec/63

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/183/rec/70

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:27 PM

^
I agree with you about NYC... So many hidden gem buildings its incredible...they would be the prize centerpiece building in most American cities and in NYC there just hidden away...its hard not to get a little jealous from time to time..lol

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I just got back from a recent visit to new york... no matter how many times I visit I can't get over how gorgeous and massive their built environment is. So much fine grain development, I love that city.

This morning I'm browsing historical aerial images from 1938 (pretty awesome: http://collections.carli.illinois.ed...ic_caps/page/4) and it really makes my heart hurt to see all of the lowrise density that was destroyed for parking lots/unused open space. Imagine what Chicago would look like today if west side of the city hadn't been totally decimated for car use? And it's a damn shame because even though we're seeing so much development lately, so much of it is ugly/cheap, or Schaumburgian planned developments. Just a real travesty what the second half of the 20th century did to this city.

Anyway, sorry. That's your downer post for the day.

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/142/rec/64

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/214/rec/63

http://collections.carli.illinois.ed.../id/183/rec/70
Yea, those aerials are sad. If you didn't already know, there a website out there where you can view those 1938 aerials like google maps, move them around and zoom in and then compare them to other decades aerials up till the present google maps. It's alot easier than clicking on still images.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yea, those aerials are sad. If you didn't already know, there a website out there where you can view those 1938 aerials like google maps, move them around and zoom in and then compare them to other decades aerials up till the present google maps. It's alot easier than clicking on still images.
What's sad is that this destruction is ongoing. Just the other day a vintage 4 flat that I didn't even know was in demo court got razed less than a block from the California Pink Line. It's now on the market as a vacant lot for $60,000... I would have paid $100k even if it were totally trashed.

But yeah, we have an investment crisis, not a disinvestment crisis! Don't worry about all the homes being torn down, be pissed at the "greedy developers" who dare save them from destruction... /S

There is no affordability crisis in Chicago, we need to direct development to the places where we are losing vintage housing stock each and every day. It's absurd that we continue to level hundreds of vintage buildings like this a year for no good reason...

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
^
I agree with you about NYC... So many hidden gem buildings its incredible...they would be the prize centerpiece building in most American cities and in NYC there just hidden away...its hard not to get a little jealous from time to time..lol
I definitely had a few moments of jealousy...

Quote:
I did NOT know that, do you know where to find it?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
There is no affordability crisis in Chicago, we need to direct development to the places where we are losing vintage housing stock each and every day. It's absurd that we continue to level hundreds of vintage buildings like this a year for no good reason...
Amen.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
I definitely had a few moments of jealousy...

I did NOT know that, do you know where to find it?
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Here's the viewer page

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Wow amazing, thank you!

Although I don't know why I'm doing this to myself, so sad to see the neighborhoods that have been razed!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I thought tup was funny and livened it up around here, it's pretty dull here now.
TUP and LouisVanDerWright are the only two foumers I would stop and read every post they made. I hope TUP comes back

I miss him like a friend

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
TUP and LouisVanDerWright are the only two foumers I would stop and read every post they made. I hope TUP comes back

I miss him like a friend
Agree.

I mean, I realize that he could be a little blunt at times. But it didn't personally offend me. And his post were at least (most times) pretty intelligent and entertaining. And contrary to what a lot of people around here thought, I never thought he was some hard core conservative. He just called bullshit on a lot of stupid shit the city does to appeal to entrenched political interests.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Agree.

I mean, I realize that he could be a little blunt at times. But it didn't personally offend me. And his post were at least (most times) pretty intelligent and entertaining. And contrary to what a lot of people around here thought, I never thought he was some hard core conservative. He just called bullshit on a lot of stupid shit the city does to appeal to entrenched political interests.
I like TUP too, but the guy does have his share of curious positions. His signature unironically said “housing is not a human right.” No one should feel entitled to an address on Lincoln Park West, but we also shouldn’t be putting people on the streets. Affordable housing isn’t an issue in Chicago, but that’s besides the point.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:32 PM

dude was bottom of the barrel

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
dude was bottom of the barrel
The dregs are the best part of a fine bottle!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:08 PM
BANNED

First post guy has a vendetta.
Deal with him at Curbed. He was a fine contributor here and is not banned or suspended. Pretty slimy quoting posts from a completely different website to smear him over here.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
First post guy has a vendetta.
Deal with him at Curbed. He was a fine contributor here and is not banned or suspended. Pretty slimy quoting posts from a completely different website to smear him over here.
The reason he got banned is because he was spewing the same race stuff here. Always found him to be a very smart guy but he clearly informed his views on race and poverty in the wrong places. I won't say "good riddance" but I will say he dug his own grave.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The reason he got banned is because.....
once again, for the record, TUP is not, and has never been, banned from SSP.

he was suspended for a week back in early october for an openly racist post he made, and he has since decided not to participate in this forum of his own accord.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 20, 2019 at 1:09 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest